Three of my favourite players who sum up why the Brazilian team of 1970 will forever be golden

What a photo. Xmas 1970 playing field awash with Brazil strips. Mate got a pair of boots Puma Pele Rio's . The stripe was yellow.

My dad used to say the 1974 brazil team were a disgrace to the yellow Jersey
The 1982 team were fantastic
Didn't they play most of the 74 games in the blue shirt? Memories are mostly of Marinho Peres although Rev and Jair scored most of their goals - didn't Peres have a brother called Francisco?

That team were genuine legends. Jairzinho of course scored in every game in the 1970 tournament.

I also liked Gerson and Tostao, mind reading he played the tournament with a detached retina. Not that at the age of 9 I really knew what that was, but I found it amazing that he could play with a serious eye injury.

I’m sure I read Romario had signed for a Brazilian 2nd division team so he could play beside his son.
He’s 58!

I still say “you lot think you’re Brazil 1970” after some muppet (usually a tim) talks shite about their teams form. 54yrs ago now :(

1970 World Cup was the first time in my lifetime where there was live football on the telly for what seemed like every day for 4 weeks. Usually more than one game as well. This was a time where you could get the FA Cup (if you were lucky enough to be able to get Ulster TV in Scotland) and the Scotland v England game and that was your lot for the year
The games were on a weird times due to the time difference and the picture quality was a bit ropey. This all added to the magic and it seemed like an entirely different world
Then add in Brazil (and Peru who were a sort of Brazil lite) were playing football like none of us had ever seen before. I can't remember anyone swerving free kicks before Brazil did in that world cup (they may well have done but I hadn't seen it). They played football out of defence. If they were 3 goals up they tried to get a fourth. They never booted the ball up or out the park. They'd dribble past 5 or 6 players just for the hell of it. All the pitches were dry and seemed to be flat. The ball did weird things in the thin Mexico air (so we were told). The tv panel was invented and no one was being careful about what they said. They spoke and argued like the guys in the pub (albeit with a bit more knowledge). It was magical and for this old fart it will never be bettered.

1970 World Cup was the first time in my lifetime where there was live football on the telly for what seemed like every day for 4 weeks. Usually more than one game as well. This was a time where you could get the FA Cup (if you were lucky enough to be able to get Ulster TV in Scotland) and the Scotland v England game and that was your lot for the year
The games were on a weird times due to the time difference and the picture quality was a bit ropey. This all added to the magic and it seemed like an entirely different world
Then add in Brazil (and Peru who were a sort of Brazil lite) were playing football like none of us had ever seen before. I can't remember anyone swerving free kicks before Brazil did in that world cup (they may well have done but I hadn't seen it). They played football out of defence. If they were 3 goals up they tried to get a fourth. They never booted the ball up or out the park. They'd dribble past 5 or 6 players just for the hell of it. All the pitches were dry and seemed to be flat. The ball did weird things in the thin Mexico air (so we were told). The tv panel was invented and no one was being careful about what they said. They spoke and argued like the guys in the pub (albeit with a bit more knowledge). It was magical and for this old fart it will never be bettered.
What a post. Says it all. Brilliant. Only thing I would add is the commentary was like it was coming from the moon.

I seem to remember highlights, maybe even a game, being on about 0800hrs and trying to watch them before heading to school.

That team were genuine legends. Jairzinho of course scored in every game in the 1970 tournament.

I also liked Gerson and Tostao, mind reading he played the tournament with a detached retina. Not that at the age of 9 I really knew what that was, but I found it amazing that he could play with a serious eye injury.
What a team!!!

What a World Cup.!!
We witnessed a lot of football firsts that summer.
I can remember Peru getting a direct free kick just outside the box. They actually put 2 or 3 men in the wall and the commentator was baffled as to what they were doing.
Malcolm Allison and Jimmy Hill analyzed it to death on the ITV panel afterwards.

Rivellino was my favourite. I’d never seen a player with so much skill, strength, pace, trickery and shooting ability.

Yep bud but just remember him being a stand out in all there games

There was a mystique and glamour about that team and that WC, that will never be beaten. Maybe that's down to being nine years old and being spellbound.

I remember being up for early morning games and watching them with my old man as he was getting ready for work.

There was also the one were Pele clocked the goalie off his line and trying to lob him from the half way line. (The Czecks? Can't remember)

Again, like the dummy against Uruguay, even though he missed they were mesmerising, iconic moments like Maradona's 2nd goal against England, and the one against Belgium in 86, that stay with you.

There was a mystique and glamour about that team and that WC, that will never be beaten. Maybe that's down to being nine years old and being spellbound.

I remember being up for early morning games and watching them with my old man as he was getting ready for work.

There was also the one were Pele clocked the goalie off his line and trying to lob him from the half way line. (The Czecks? Can't remember)

Again, like the dummy against Uruguay, even though he missed they were mesmerising, iconic moments like Maradona's 2nd goal against England, and the one against Belgium in 86, that stay with you.
Myerkowic (mercovich) was the Uruguay goalie got 10pts in a quiz 20 years later for that answer I was 18 bud still the best WC to me the semi with West Germany v Italy a classic.

Another strange memory from that 1970 WC that I remember, was Bobby Moore and/or his wife being accused of stealing jewelery.

Absolute codswallop of course. Bobby would have got Nobby Stiles to blag it.

That semi was a magnificent football match
Was in Arenal with the mates and had a good few bets in The Flying Haggis on Italy. Got rat arsed and had to get to my bed and missed the game. Got woken up with my mate jumping on top of me saying Italy had won. Won a few bob.

The Brazil side that is football to me they were a joy to watch Pele is the greatest player ever Revalino was as good a midfielder that has ever played. It was a great tournament with so. Many fantastic memories. Pele’s genius the banks save. Sadly don’t get entertained like that any more.

The 1970 Brazil team is the greatest team I have seen. That World Cup was just superb. Strangely the best game, for me, was the semi final between Italy v West Germany.
The whole tournament was a fantastic footballing occasion.
Yep, remember watching the Italy v WG game....classic.

Another strange memory from that 1970 WC that I remember, was Bobby Moore and/or his wife being accused of stealing jewelery.

Absolute codswallop of course. Bobby would have got Nobby Stiles to blag it.
Just prior to the WC on tour v Columbia. Could be wrong. Bobby Moore superstar walks like a woman and wears a bra.

The 1970 Brazil team is the greatest team I have seen. That World Cup was just superb. Strangely the best game, for me, was the semi final between Italy v West Germany.
The whole tournament was a fantastic footballing occasion.
Brazil v Peru in the quarters was to football what the Harlem Globetrotters were to basketball. Incredible entertainment with 2 teams wanting to attack all the time.
Didn't have the drama of the semi between WG and Italy, but what a game it was.

Three moments from Pele where he could have scored 3 outrageous goals in those finals That dummy against Uruguay, the shot from inside his own half against Czechoslovakia and one other a volley straight back to the keeper from a goal kick against Uruguay as well I believe

Back