Time to pack the midfield at parkhead

Agreed, said as such in another thread. We need 3 in there at the very least if we go there with just Dio and Lundstram up against their 3 it’s suicide

Agreed. We need to go with a 3 in there and match them. If we get outnumbered we'll have a long afternoon in front of us.

Park the bus. Rodgers despite only needing a draw will be too arrogant to settle. Then we strike. Smash and grab 2-0 win.
Unfortunately our defence is no where near good enough to do that. We cannot start this match at the strolling pace we have recently or the result we just be the same as before. We need to match their intensity from the off and go after them like they have us previously and we MUST score first.

For me we have to go with a strong middle 3.

Butland
Tav Souttar Davies Ridvan
Sterling Lunny Diomande
Cantwell Dessers Sima (if fit)

There isn’t much between the two teams. This will come down to who wants it most and can perform on the day.

Rodgers clearly thinks it is in the bag. So will some of his players. We can capitalise on that if we can win the midfield battle. Also we need to start solidly. We haven’t done that against them so far.

Think Sterling in midfield would help that. But this is also a test of Clement. What has he learned?

Flood the midfield. Win in there and we’ll likely win the match.

Aggresive and physical from the get go.

Has to be this.
4-3-2-1 formation for me.

I’d go…
…………..Butland
Tav Souttar Davies Yilmaz
Sterling Lundstram Diomande
………McCausland Cantwell
….………Dessers
Ah the old Christmas Tree formation

Pretty much what I had.

Is Balogun injures?

Flat 3 in midfield would benefit everything around them, win the battle on midfield, supports full backs, protects defence, helps put two wide men actually support the striker rather than be babysitters for fullbacks

Last edited:
100%. I think most agree if we go there to play a 4231 we will get humped. Stack the midfield and go onto battle.

Clement will never drop Tav - the fallout if we were then beat would be biblical- but from my position well behind the frontline I’d go

Butland
Sterling
Soutar
Davies
Yilmaz

McCausland
Lundstrum
Diomande
Lawrence
Cantwell

Silva

Do to them what they do to us every game get in their faces from the start , not letting them dictate or have the freedom of the midfield , clatter that googly eyed wee chunt McGregor early doors, along with Furuhashi

A proper Walter Smith smash & grab for me

Don't give them an inch, park the bus and leave no space

Once their support gets frustrated and their players start to tire we hit them on the break. Bring on Sima and Matondo if available. Take the lead around 60 mins.

As they chase an equaliser smash them on the break again.

2-0 Rangers

Wouldn't be surprised to see Lundstram, Sterling, Diomande and Raskin all play with Dessers up top and Tav/Barasic being told if they can do what they did all season 2 years ago for 90 minutes, this is the game to do it in.

I'm actually relatively confident we'll win, but I really want a 0-3.

Whatever formation we play, we can't afford to sit back and let them come at us from the off, or as usual at their midden, we'll be 2 or 3 down before half time and facing mission impossible.

Lundstram suffers terribly against them, usually looks like a lost, old man. Dio looks the part and Sterling has already played very well at their midden in midfield.

Realistically we'd need to have Cantwell as a 10 who is helping out that midfield trio.

Up top remains a big weak point of ours though.

Park the bus. Rodgers despite only needing a draw will be too arrogant to settle. Then we strike. Smash and grab 2-0 win.
We don't have a clinical enough strike force to smash and grab. Have to take the one or maybe two chances that fall our way and we need 9 chances to score 1/2 goals.

Having said that, I haven't a clue how to approach Saturday in terms of tactics. We also don't have thr defence to go all out attack!

The secret to Gerrard domination of old firm games was that we bossed every old firm in midfield

Any 3 from Jack, Davis, Kamara, Arfield and latterly Lundstram

Kamara protected Barasic
Jack protected Tav

We also had the likes of Candeias and Kent working their socks off going backwards

The midfield 3 also took turns to support the attack so it wasn't as defensive as it looks

We are so much more exposed nowadays so it's always going to leave the defence more vulnerable

Lundstram suffers terribly against them, usually looks like a lost, old man. Dio looks the part and Sterling has already played very well at their midden in midfield.

Realistically we'd need to have Cantwell as a 10 who is helping out that midfield trio.

Up top remains a big weak point of ours though.
Agree on Lundstram but I can’t see him being dropped, but if he was…how about a 3 of Sterling, Dio & Dowell, or even a 4 with Raskin added…?

Would give us balance, energy, legs & a wee bit of resilience in midfield where we seem to be exposed in these games.

see I’d be going with a setup as below

___________|Butland|_____________

Tavernier Balogun Souttar Ridvan
___________Lundstram___________
Sterling Diomande Raskin Cantwell
___________Dessers_____________

Problem here is it relies on Cantwell to do a lot of running, but if we keep a central 3 we can alternate between him and Sterling doing that shift.

If no Balogun, swap for Davies as the other CB. Ridvan for Borna if needed.

see I’d be going with a setup as below

___________|Butland|_____________

Tavernier Balogun Souttar Ridvan
___________Lundstram___________
Sterling Diomande Raskin Cantwell
___________Dessers_____________

Problem here is it relies on Cantwell to do a lot of running, but if we keep a central 3 we can alternate between him and Sterling doing that shift.

If no Balogun, swap for Davies as the other CB. Ridvan for Borna if needed.
This might not be far off it, we need to try something different and have limited options out wide.

Many creative lineups here. Let me help some of you out.

Clement will not be dropping Lundstram, Tav or Silva.

Davies or Balogun, depending on fitness.
Cantwell or Lawrence (likely Cantwell)
Sterling or McAusland wide (Likely Sterling)

He's a pretty conservative guy on starting lineups. He's more aggressive with subs than previous gaffers, but that usually comes from how the game is progressing. Let's try going up one for a change and see how that goes. :)

Agreed.

Flat three in midfield is imperative, for me.

If only we had 3 of the quality of peak Jack, Davis and Kamara.

They pished all over anything they had, as well as dominating some very good European midfields.

Personally, I'd be going with Lundstram, Sterling and Diomande centrally, with Lawrence and Cantwell playing behind Dessers.
Both have decent defensive discipline and will support Dessers and go beyond him, when needed.

Silva should be nowhere near this game or the SC Final.

Like Gerrard’s 4-3-2-1 formation, the full backs provide the width and your midfielders dominate the game and possession.

We can definitely beat them, but we must be clinical and not concede the sort of cheap goals we have previously.

Butland

Tavernier
Balogun
Souttar
Yilmaz

Sterling
Lundstram
Diomande

Cantwell
Lawrence

Dessers

He's a pretty conservative guy on starting lineups. He's more aggressive with subs than previous gaffers, but that usually comes from how the game is progressing. Let's try going up one for a change and see how that goes. :)
My lineup dropped Silva only.
The manager hasn’t had much luck against them so far. It is not outrageous to suggest he might change it up and look to flood midfield. Unless you are on here suggesting Silva starting is his priority over 3 points?

I wouldn't want him to drop Tavernier or Lundstram.
Lundstram was easily our best midfielder (yet again) against Killie and other than Dessers, Tavernier is probably our best chance of scoring against them.
Let's not forget his 2 superb efforts against them at the piggery last season.

Silva though, should be nowhere near a game of this magnitude.

Back