To those that keep posting, "We need a clear out" !

captcaveman

Which players are you clearing out ? How much do you think we would get for each player & how much would this generate for new players for Big Phil?

This is just a guess at the numbers, but for contracts expiring, including loans, we can probably free up close to 7m alone.

Expiring (Salary per week):

McLaughlin: 5k
Balogun: 5k
Borna: 20k
Lundstram: 30k
Jack: 20k
Roofe: 25k
Sima: 20k
Silva: 20k

There's players we'd probably be able to get decent fees for (Butland, Tav, Yilmaz, Sterling etc.). Then others that we might get a million or two for (Dowell, Matondo, Dessers etc.)

I think we will be able to raise money to fund a rebuild, but we might have to sell a Butland or a Sterling. We also have the problem of getting dead assets like Wright or Davies off the books. I'd just force guys like that out.

5m each for Tav and Goldson
2m each for Hagi and Davies
3m Dessers
4m Lammers
1m Lawrence
3m Cantwell
3m Matondo
5m Yilmaz
500k Wright
500k Dowell

Roofe, Jack, Lundstram, Barisic and McLaughlin leaving probably near 100k a week off the wage bill.

Reckon these fees are realistic and an ambitious DOF and manager would be able to rebuild the squad with that money plus a bit of extra funding from the board.

Last edited:
This is just a guess at the numbers, but for contracts expiring, including loans, we can probably free up close to 7m alone.

There's players we'd probably be able to get decent fees for (Butland, Tav, Yilmaz, Sterling etc.). Then others that we might get a million or two for (Dowell, Matondo, Dessers etc.)

I think we will be able to raise money to fund a rebuild, but we might have to sell a Butland or a Sterling.
Unfortunately those listed should be the starting point.

All those who post this fail to realise you need a club to want your player, you need your player to want to leave and they won't be taking pay cuts to leave.

No C8nt wanted Goldson when he was a free transfer for the wage he wanted, they certainly aren't taking him now.

At least we have a lot of boys out of contract.

I get this is just general discussion, but it's not our mess to sort out. The board approved giving the likes of Tavernier and Goldson long contracts on huge wages. Hopefully the new DOF can work some magic.
It is just a general discussion but , its also because since Sunday I have seen the phrase " We need a total clear out" so many times but ,the posters saying this don't add in who they think will take these players and how much they think it will free up.

Someone has to want these players to actually take them off our hands!

Last edited:
We do need a clear out, gaining champions league money would have accelerated that.

Like it or not I suspect there just won't be the money for as radical a change as I, and many would like. Add to this the likes of Goldson and Ben Davies to name but two, who are are paid way above there ability and will be difficult to move on, fee or not.

Going to have to need more than a few miracles worked in summer for us to be competitive next season.

Last edited:

I think we will be able to raise money to fund a rebuild, but we might have to sell a Butland or a Sterling. We also have the problem of getting dead assets like Wright or Davies off the books. I'd just force guys like that out.
Fantasy stuff that we'd get over a million for Dowell (struggling to see it with Matondo too but maybe someone would take a punt with his pace & the odd flash of ability). Dessers we'd probably get a European team to take him off our hands à la Lammers.

I seriously doubt jack is on £20k a week. Probably more like £12k

Fantasy stuff that we'd get over a million for Dowell (struggling to see it with Matondo too but maybe someone would take a punt with his pace & the odd flash of ability). Dessers we'd probably get a European team to take him off our hands à la Lammers.
I don't know; he's a proven championship player. May have an admirer there still. We probably spent that on his sign-on fee and will look to get it back.

yes...... theres no magic wand in this approach , players are under contract so most will sit tight so maybe just be grateful a few big wage earners are for the off

Other than the OOC players and maybe one or two others it ain’t happening.

Goldson and Davies are on £3.5m per year in wages bottom end championship clubs aren’t paying that for two guys they could pick up cheaper in the Swedish or Danish leagues,

The complete and utter shambles of the last two summer windows will haunt us for years to come.

I think the main clear out will be players out of contract, none of them should get a new one.

The likes of Tav and Goldson can go too but I don't think we'll have lots of suitors for them.

We do need a clear out, gaining chamions league money would have accelerated that.

Like it or not I suspect there just won't be the money for as radical a change as I, and many would like. Add to this the likes of Goldson and Ben Davies to name but two, who are are paid way above there ability and will be difficult to move on, fee or not.

Going to have to need more than a few miracles worked in summer for us to be competitive next season.
Someone said that Davies is on a higher salary than carter vickers. If we do move a lot of the deadwood on , it’s important that we don’t offer huge salaries for ordinary players or we end up in this same position each year .

I’m struggling to think of a single player I’d be annoyed at losing. That shows me where the squad is at the moment. It’s unrealistic to think we can bin everyone but we need fundamental changes to the spine of the team. Major changes at centre back, centre mid and up front. We just don’t have enough quality.

This is the same for every season.

The only season we didn't was for 55. We even had it when we were a penalty away from the second biggest trophy in European football.

Bookmark this page.

Even if and that's a massive if, Tavernier et al, play out their skins from now to the 38th game in this league and win the cup, he needs to follow Lundstram, Goldson, Barasic, and plenty others out the door.

Tavernier, Goldson and Lundstram will get plenty of time to show us what they're "made of", between now and the last game of the season.

And although it's doubtful they'll have the dig for a few pointless games with a cup semi sandwiched in, even if they do, we need shot a them or it's gonna cost Clement big time.

Which players are you clearing out ? How much do you think we would get for each player & how much would this generate for new players for Big Phil?
McLaughlin, Goldson, Davies, balogun, barisic, jack, lundstrum, Lawrence, silva, lammers, dessers, hagi, wright, roofe, Cortes to start imo

It doesn't necessarily need to be a complete clear out. The way recruitment should work is we should be bringing in players who are currently better than what we've got or have the potential to be better than what we've got. Then move on the backup players.

Then the existing first choice players become the backup / rotation options instead of playing every game without threat of their positions being lost (Tav, Goldson, Lundstram as examples of this)

If we finish 2nd and get rid of most and bring in an entire new team then expect them to struggle to qualify for the Champions League and in the early league matches.

Players we need to try and sell.

Goldson, Tav, Dessers, Dowell, Lawrence, Lammers, Wright and Matondo. No idea what this will generate financially but they are on decent wages and are not good enough. Tav adds goals and assists but he is just serial loser

Players contracts that we should not extend and let go in January

Jack
Roofe
Lundstrum
Balogun
Borna

Spending close to 13m on 3 strikers this summer has killed us. 1 was reasonably good but got injured after a month and half for the rest of the season, the other 2 were not good enough. Not even close to good enough.

Every area is a problem area and need major improvement. Our midfield has lacked real creativity and drive for a long time. Our wide area's have been non-existent this season, we bring a guy in during the January window, he looks good, plays 3 games and gets injured for the season.

Our CB area needs improved. Goldson is just shit.

Clement and Koppen has their work cut out for them and they better be really active just now in sourcing out what they need because we need signings in quick so they can bed in

3m Dessers
4m Lammers
1m Lawrence
3m Cantwell
3m Matondo
5m Yilmaz
500k Wright
500k Dowell

Roofe, Jack, Lundstram, Barisic and McLaughlin leaving probably near 100k a week off the wage bill.

Reckon these fees are realistic and an ambitious DOF and manager would be able to rebuild the squad with that money plus a bit of extra funding from the board.
No chance would we get 5m for tav or Goldson.
We couldn’t give Goldson away in the summer, we ain’t getting 5m for him now.

3m Dessers
4m Lammers
1m Lawrence
3m Cantwell
3m Matondo
5m Yilmaz
500k Wright
500k Dowell

I know we were shite last night but that doesn't excuse being pished at this time.

3m Dessers
4m Lammers
1m Lawrence
3m Cantwell
3m Matondo
5m Yilmaz
500k Wright
500k Dowell

Not a chance we get anywhere near that for most of those players unfortunately !

I don’t even think any of the junior teams would be interested in any of these current players if they left on a free and didn’t demand high wages that there stealing off our club.

Someone said that Davies is on a higher salary than carter vickers. If we do move a lot of the deadwood on , it’s important that we don’t offer huge salaries for ordinary players or we end up in this same position each year .
No idea if that is true but wouldn't surprise me.

The amount we pay some very mediocre players, and have done so for so many years, is almost criminal.

Nothing wrong with pushing the boat out for a few game changers, £25/30k+/ week for squad fillers or plodders is insane to the point we pay so much in wages it prevents us generating the profit required to bring in players of quality.

If that is true we have learned nothing from 2012! Talk about spunking money up the wall, that actually depresses me if its true!

No idea if that is true but wouldn't surprise me.

The amount we pay some very mediocre players, and have done so for so many years, is almost criminal.

Nothing wrong with pushing the boat out for a few game changers, £25/30k+/ week for squad fillers or plodders is insane to the point we pay so much in wages it prevents us generating the profit required to bring in players of quality.
Yes, that's true as according to the links above Davies is rumoured to be on £27k per week to sit on his arse and Carter Vickers is rumoured to be on £24k per week

We have 6 players OOC, their wages are about 90k p/w combined, so ~ 4.5m per year if we let them go. Obviously we’ve committed to Diomande so some of that gone already.

Good news is that it looks like we’ll be able to offload Lammers without a loss, maybe even a profit!

There are no real big earners OOC June 2025 (Scott Wright might be highest earner, 8k pw?).

Unfortunately the highest earners are in contract until June 2026 (Tav, Goldson, Davies, Matondo, etc) and will be difficult to move on.

So, we’re in a bit of a bind, Koppen & Clement have a very difficult job since we can’t add to a wage bill that already is ~5m more than our rivals.

3m Dessers
4m Lammers
1m Lawrence
3m Cantwell
3m Matondo
5m Yilmaz
500k Wright
500k Dowell

eddie-murphy-yes.gif

Insane nonsense.

3m Dessers
4m Lammers
1m Lawrence
3m Cantwell
3m Matondo
5m Yilmaz
500k Wright
500k Dowell

Absolute fucking cuckoo land with some of those figures.

3m Dessers
4m Lammers
1m Lawrence
3m Cantwell
3m Matondo
5m Yilmaz
500k Wright
500k Dowell

That's absolutely miles off. We aren't getting 5 million each for Tav and Goldson. Tav at an absolute push if it's some mental Saudi team but I don't see it, remember his age aswell.

Who's spending 5m on Goldson based on age and form, error prone etc? 5m can get you much better than Goldson.

4m for lammers is probably pushing it aswell, maybe 3 at a push. He's had a good half a season he's still a risk.

No sure why anyone would risk 3m on Dessers when hes been rotten all season. He has goals in a dominant team in an awful league, everything else has been awful most of the time.

4 million can get you better than Lammers and 3 million can get you better than Dessers. 10 million can most definitely get you better than Goldson and Tav. 2 million can get you better than Davies and I'd keep Matondo and Yilmaz.

You've got us down as getting rid of 17 players in one summer that's just not happening. Then we need to sign 17 to replace them aswell.

No chance would we get 5m for tav or Goldson.
We couldn’t give Goldson away in the summer, we ain’t getting 5m for him now.
They’re owed most likely more than 3m each as a low figure in wages for the remainder of their contracts. It’s pretty much what they’d be worth, in Tav’s case it’s low. Goldson is about right.
Not a chance we get anywhere near that for most of those players unfortunately !
Why? Who in particular? Previous fees and wages currently paid and due come into account with transfer fees.

Lammers is doing well in the Netherlands so a competent DOF should be able to recoup the fee and Dessers has actually scored a fair amount of goals here.

My clear out would include McLaughlin, Goldson, Davies, Barasic, Jack, Lundstram Roofe, Wright, Dessers and Lammers at least.
Freeing up over £200k per week, I'd give Butland £10k rise and put Souttar on £12k. Get in young hungry players willing to play for the shirt and stop getting English championship players only here for the money.
WATP

3m Dessers
4m Lammers
1m Lawrence
3m Cantwell
3m Matondo
5m Yilmaz
500k Wright
500k Dowell

5M for Goldson really mate:oops:

I think it's more about not holding out for the money we once hoped we'd get for these types of players, taking what we can get (if anything) and reinvesting. Of course not every player will have an option to go to or be able to get the same money and that's a constraint. It's more important we root out the mentality than we get the value we once hoped. Sad as it is.

Back