To those that keep posting, "We need a clear out" !

I’m struggling to think of a single player I’d be annoyed at losing. That shows me where the squad is at the moment. It’s unrealistic to think we can bin everyone but we need fundamental changes to the spine of the team. Major changes at centre back, centre mid and up front. We just don’t have enough quality.
Very good post sad though it is

For me

Keep

Butland
McRorie
Tavernier
Sterling
Souttar
Yilmaz
Raskin
Diomande
McAusland
Cantwell
Danilo

Roofe, Barisic, Lundstram, Balogun Jack and McLaughlin let go

Goldson, Davies, Dowell, Hagi, Lawrence, Matondo, Lammers, Wright and Dessers all sold.

In an ideal world we can raise 12 -15 million. On top of that the Board can put a few million in too.

Two new CBS
Two CMs
Cortes
New LW
New RW
New striker
Shankland

Sima would be good but can't see it. 4 first team loan players would alleviate a lot of financial output

Reactions: cav
Other than the out of contract players I fear it will take a couple of seasons to transform the squad. It's OK telling some of them they are not wanted but they are under contract and unfortunately they can sit tight. Past and present board members have made a total mess of our recruitment and have cost the club a fortune.
Compare some of the business being carried out across the city. I don't know if this is true but someone told me that celtic have a massive sell on clause in any future Frimpong sale up to 30%.
We are pissing away money on players and staff.

The days of pay offs should be over
Over the years we have waisted too much money for that to be the norm
Out of contract leave
Pay offs will always be required in some circumstances, they shouldn't be the norm, but we have a badly mismanaged squad that needs a reset.

To those that aren’t demanding a clear out: “what planet are you on?”.

Appreciate it is not possible to ditch an entire squad in one step and we have players that could / should be kept when we all calm down (not yet for me!) but we should be bloody well should be exiting as many as we can.

Anything else is asking for a repeat.

Someone said that Davies is on a higher salary than carter vickers. If we do move a lot of the deadwood on , it’s important that we don’t offer huge salaries for ordinary players or we end up in this same position each year .
We'll end up in the same position as a decade ago. Dreadful financial mismanagement is happening before our eyes.

We have trouble offloading players due to the stupid salaries we pay them. Almost £ 30 k a week for Ben Davies. ? This nonsense has to stop.
We have to pay big salaries as to put it bluntly who the feck is going to want to play in SPL.?
To entice we have to pay pay big wages.

Silva, Sima returning to their parent clubs - I very much doubt we have the money to buy Sima. Cortés - I'm not sure is worth buying at this stage. Possibly another loan?

McLaughlin, Balogun, Barišić, Jack, Lundstram, Roofe all out of contract. Not one of them should be given a new deal.

We need to find buyers for: Davies, Dessers, Lammers, Dowell, Raskin, Hagi, Lawrence. I don't think we'll manage to offload Tavernier or Goldson. Wright and Matondo will hang about like a bad smell for another season.
So you’re thinking we are getting rid of 16 players and only keeping another four if we can’t find buyers.
So, 20 players out of the door in summer?
Nurse!

All of Celtc's top players are all on way below what we are paying, mate.
If they are they also have the bonus of being able to offer CL football every year.
Both halves of the OF are used by players as stepping stones to bigger leagues and establish a reputation.
Same for managers.
Our wages are to incentivise players to come to our big fish in a small pond club.
It’s remarkable we have done so well in Europe.

So you’re thinking we are getting rid of 16 players and only keeping another four if we can’t find buyers.
So, 20 players out of the door in summer?
Nurse!

We'll lose 9 straight away, or should do - out of contract/loan returns.

Davies, Raskin, Lammers don't have a future here. that's 12. There should be players we are looking to sell as well.

To those that aren’t demanding a clear out: “what planet are you on?”.

Appreciate it is not possible to ditch an entire squad in one step and we have players that could / should be kept when we all calm down (not yet for me!) but we should be bloody well should be exiting as many as we can.

Anything else is asking for a repeat.
I think, to be fair, that was largely aimed at NU expecting £10m for Tav and Goldson :D

5m each for Tav and Goldson
2m each for Hagi and Davies
3m Dessers
4m Lammers
1m Lawrence
3m Cantwell
3m Matondo
5m Yilmaz
500k Wright
500k Dowell

Roofe, Jack, Lundstram, Barisic and McLaughlin leaving probably near 100k a week off the wage bill.

Reckon these fees are realistic and an ambitious DOF and manager would be able to rebuild the squad with that money plus a bit of extra funding from the board.
Goldson was literally a free agent and we were his best offer so I doubt he’s taking a pay cut so go elsewhere, and no one is paying £5m.
Tav has amazing stats so clubs must have been alerted to him, yet no one ever came for him so he’s not going for £5m either.

Which players are you clearing out ? How much do you think we would get for each player & how much would this generate for new players for Big Phil?
McGlauglin
Tav,
Barisic,
Goldson,
Davies,
Balgoun,
Jack,
Lundstram
Jack,
Lawrence
Hagi
Dessert
Roofe
Wright
Lammers

I think that would raise millions in wages. Bring in guys like Diomande on a fractions of wages of some of those.

This is just a guess at the numbers, but for contracts expiring, including loans, we can probably free up close to 7m alone.

Expiring (Salary per week):

McLaughlin: 5k
Balogun: 5k
Borna: 20k
Lundstram: 30k
Jack: 20k
Roofe: 25k
Sima: 20k
Silva: 20k

There's players we'd probably be able to get decent fees for (Butland, Tav, Yilmaz, Sterling etc.). Then others that we might get a million or two for (Dowell, Matondo, Dessers etc.)

I think we will be able to raise money to fund a rebuild, but we might have to sell a Butland or a Sterling. We also have the problem of getting dead assets like Wright or Davies off the books. I'd just force guys like that out.
Brainstorming stuff

For me

Keep

Butland
McRorie
Tavernier
Sterling
Souttar
Yilmaz
Raskin
Diomande
McAusland
Cantwell
Danilo

Roofe, Barisic, Lundstram, Balogun Jack and McLaughlin let go

Goldson, Davies, Dowell, Hagi, Lawrence, Matondo, Lammers, Wright and Dessers all sold.

In an ideal world we can raise 12 -15 million. On top of that the Board can put a few million in too.

Two new CBS
Two CMs
Cortes
New LW
New RW
New striker
Shankland

Sima would be good but can't see it. 4 first team loan players would alleviate a lot of financial output
I think the days of the board putting in a “few millions” are history mate - not saying they wouldn’t if there was a financial crisis, but they are trying to get us to be self sufficient asap

Which players are you clearing out ? How much do you think we would get for each player & how much would this generate for new players for Big Phil?
All of the out of contract players should be let go,

If we get our act together in the transfer market there's better value to had for our budget than we currently have

Looking at our squad, everyone can go. Butland I would prefer to keep but he is likely to be the one we can make the most on, which sadly means he will need to go. Yilmaz I’m a fan of, but he’s been stop start his 2 years here and we’d be better off cashing in.

Every player that can catch us a fee must go to fund a rebuild, and a real rebuild at that. All the OOC players must be moved on too. None of the loans should be enquired about either, which may seem harsh on Cortes as I thought he looked like what we’ve been needing for ages but he won’t be ready to go from the off I’d imagine which is not what we need. We need to hit the ground running in pre-season.

My hope is that we have a completely new starting eleven, with preferably no jobbers from the championship, who are hungry and want to play in the UCL and win trophies. This squad clearly doesn’t fancy it and has definitely ran its race now.

My fear is that the easy option will be toon and a third of our starting line up in the first game of the season will consist of Tavernier, Goldson and Lundstram, which is enough to put you off football for good.

We can only get rid of players, if clubs are willing to take them!! is anyone seriously going to take Goldson? let go everyone out of contract.......!
I think a championship team would pay £3M for him. Kepre who played for motherwell for a few seasons is now a first pick for a club like West Brom, so I definitely think we make our money back on him.

No new contracts for a start.

Every player up for sale and just see what we can generate in income.
We have to sell players before their performance level and value starts to fall.
It's difficult to accept that but it's where we are.
Look who Brighton sold in the summer and they're still a top half PL side.
The difficult part is getting the mechanism in place to ensure replacements are coming through but selling for profit is how such systems are achieved and financed.
No more "squad players" if that term actually means not good enough for the first team.
A trim hungry squad, every one of them competing for a jersey every single week.

Clement has spoken about building a rapport between the fans and players. That is never going to happen if he persists with the same perennial failures and beige, overpaid Championship alumni.

Guys like Jefte, Sadiki, Cordoba and a couple of other young centre backs were linked in January. I'd be targeting a core of hungry players with a profile like that, hoping they'll embrace the size of the club and cultivate some kind of team spirit. He's also said he wants to lower the average age and that's what Koppen was brought in for.

If they get off to a decent start and play without fear, the support will embrace them and hopefully momentum builds from there. Cortes looked like the part in his brief outings.

Just give the support something different to get behind.

I sometimes wonder if we make half of the effort of some other clubs to shift players on.
Some of the absolute dross that you see other clubs (even CFC) being able to loan out or flog off does make me wonder.

And we're told that we can't "just move people on" because clubs need to be persuaded to take them off our hands.
I'd suggest that if we were daft enough to take them -- there's a good chance that there's another few footballing clubs of suckers that would also fall for the same players.

Last edited:
I get this is just general discussion, but it's not our mess to sort out. The board approved giving the likes of Tavernier and Goldson long contracts on huge wages. Hopefully the new DOF can work some magic.
Aye because Tav is the issue

Anyone whose contract is expiring should be allowed to leave. We should then be looking to sell Dowell, Wright, Lawrence, Dessers, Lammers, Davies, Goldson, Hagi. Clearly we won’t be able to sell them all but any money we can bring in should be sought for replacements.

If there is any true rebuild then it is Butland and we go with McCrorie in proper penny pinching mode to finance it all.
Devine, King, Davies, Leon, Borna, Jack, Dowell, Wright, Roofe, Lammers, Hagi, Matondo and the list can go on and on and on because it doesn't even include any of the old guard in our spine

Absolute fucking cuckoo land with some of those figures.
Who's cuckoo ! I'm thinking getting in Foden, surley we can hijack the Mbappe deal, virgil is leaving Liverpool so maybe get him in for back up to Souttar , Tierney is not wanted by Arsenal, Saka is a young kid needs to build up with some rough and tumble in the SPL, RB isn't an issue as we have the best in the world already.

I think Koppen is going to give this squad a right good going over in the summer, tbh. A bit of a fire sale in some regards. It's not about recouping money now, that would be nice where possible. It's about gutting that wage bill. Freeing up space in the squad so we can get young, hungrier players in the door.

The talk of lowering the age of the squad back in January was music to my ears. It's something this team has needed for years. I'd rather have a young team that makes mistakes and tries to get better, than an ageing side that makes the same mistakes every season.

This is just a guess at the numbers, but for contracts expiring, including loans, we can probably free up close to 7m alone.

Expiring (Salary per week):

McLaughlin: 5k
Balogun: 5k
Borna: 20k
Lundstram: 30k
Jack: 20k
Roofe: 25k
Sima: 20k
Silva: 20k

There's players we'd probably be able to get decent fees for (Butland, Tav, Yilmaz, Sterling etc.). Then others that we might get a million or two for (Dowell, Matondo, Dessers etc.)

I think we will be able to raise money to fund a rebuild, but we might have to sell a Butland or a Sterling. We also have the problem of getting dead assets like Wright or Davies off the books. I'd just force guys like that out.
Sterling isn’t commanding a big fee. Not yet anyway!

I think Koppen is going to give this squad a right good going over in the summer, tbh. A bit of a fire sale in some regards. It's not about recouping money now, that would be nice where possible. It's about gutting that wage bill. Freeing up space in the squad so we can get young, hungrier players in the door.

The talk of lowering the age of the squad back in January was music to my ears. It's something this team has needed for years. I'd rather have a young team that makes mistakes and tries to get better, than an ageing side that makes the same mistakes every season.
From what I’ve seen Clement signed around 9 or 10 players in his first summer window at Genk, and a similar amount in his first summer window at Brugge. The average signing age was 22 for both clubs.

It’s music to my ears as well. He seems to much prefer younger guys with plenty of desire and hunger, something we’ve lacked for a long time now.

Back