To those that keep posting, "We need a clear out" !

Theres almost a player in every position leaving for nothing beflre we even start looling at the players that play most weeks, if we replaced roofe, jack, balogun and borna with quality replacements in the current squad we have just now we would be in a much better place. Thats before we start shooting at goldson, tav, lundstram dessers etc.

It doesn't necessarily need to be a complete clear out. The way recruitment should work is we should be bringing in players who are currently better than what we've got or have the potential to be better than what we've got. Then move on the backup players.

Then the existing first choice players become the backup / rotation options instead of playing every game without threat of their positions being lost (Tav, Goldson, Lundstram as examples of this)

If we finish 2nd and get rid of most and bring in an entire new team then expect them to struggle to qualify for the Champions League and in the early league matches.
If we make our current first team the backup players, we’re going to have an astronomical wage bill.

Savings in wages won't be passed on for the 2024/25 squad to the extent many think.

Our wage bill is unsustainable as it is and needs cut - full stop.

Recruitment will have to be extremely inventive in the summer to accommodate a much reduced wage bill.

This is just a guess at the numbers, but for contracts expiring, including loans, we can probably free up close to 7m alone.

Expiring (Salary per week):

McLaughlin: 5k
Balogun: 5k
Borna: 20k
Lundstram: 30k
Jack: 20k
Roofe: 25k
Sima: 20k
Silva: 20k

There's players we'd probably be able to get decent fees for (Butland, Tav, Yilmaz, Sterling etc.). Then others that we might get a million or two for (Dowell, Matondo, Dessers etc.)

I think we will be able to raise money to fund a rebuild, but we might have to sell a Butland or a Sterling. We also have the problem of getting dead assets like Wright or Davies off the books. I'd just force guys like that out.
Apart from crazy money, why on earth would we sell Sterling and Ylimaz? We couldn't replace them for the money we bought them for at their playing level now. Doesn't add up to good business at this point.
Big Jack I realize could get us stupid money. But no less than 15m.

Apart from crazy money, why on earth would we sell Sterling and Ylimaz? We couldn't replace them for the money we bought them for at their playing level now. Doesn't add up to good business at this point.
Big Jack I realize could get us stupid money. But no less than 15m.
Yilmaz is never fit for long enough to make a meaningful contribution. He’s made of chocolate and should be punted for a more robust replacement

Sterling I’d be keeping as a centre mid

I can’t see it with McAusland. I know some do but I don’t. It really does anger me how the board let contracts run down.
If the Arabs want to make an offer on Tav that’s crazy money then ffs go.
Gerrard should never have been allowed to get what he wanted as in not selling players. I said back then that decision would cost us in the future.
See I’m extreme. I don’t even want a woman’s team that ticks the nowaday boxes. Every last penny should be going into Rangers. An opinion that I will stick by. That lot at the crime scene know how to buy and sell. We’ve been terrible at that for too long now.
I’m not his biggest fan but for some reason we do better with him in the team. Just look at our results since he went off injured against Well.

He is a very direct player who always looks to go forward. He also causes problems by drifting inside from right wing. Something nobody else seems to do. Dundee and County being key examples “better players” just standing around waiting for something to happen.

Savings in wages won't be passed on for the 2024/25 squad to the extent many think.

Our wage bill is unsustainable as it is and needs cut - full stop.

Recruitment will have to be extremely inventive in the summer to accommodate a much reduced wage bill.
Extremely good point mate.

Stop going to England for a start. £30k a week for nobody journeymen. Stop that shit right now.
So restrict the area for recruitment?
I would have thought expand your options for recruitment is a more effective method than restict.
You are taking into account that quite a few we’ve recruited from Championship are frees avoiding paying transfer fees.

It’s the whole package of transfer fee signing on fee and wages that should be assessed when coming to a conclusion about value.
For me its signings like Ben Davies that frustrates me when you are paying through the nose in all directions for a bench warmer when not injured.

Stop buying players from England who all want more than 20k a week . We need young athletic players not 28 year olds who have never played with any expectation.
I agree and think that this may well be the case going forward given the backgrounds of our manager and recruitment chief.

So restrict the area for recruitment?
I would have thought expand your options for recruitment is a more effective method than restict.
You are taking into account that quite a few we’ve recruited from Championship are frees avoiding paying transfer fees.

It’s the whole package of transfer fee signing on fee and wages that should be assessed when coming to a conclusion about value.
For me its signings like Ben Davies that frustrates me when you are paying through the nose in all directions for a bench warmer when not injured.
No we've generally restricted the area of recruitment to England. The most expensive market on the planet, full of mediocre players getting crazy money, with no real expectation in their career of ever having to put a head above the parapet. Big world out there. The Japanese at the bheasts for example. Genuinely don't think I've seen a player in Scotland work harder than Maeda. Yet we have guys basically jogging about the pitch. Shocking.

Which players are you clearing out ? How much do you think we would get for each player & how much would this generate for new players for Big Phil?
It's a nonsense statement that has been said every year for a long as I can remember. You can't just get rid of players if they don't want to leave. Loads of these guys are under contract for 2 or 3 more years and won't be leaving unless they get a better offer or we pay out their contracts.

This is just a guess at the numbers, but for contracts expiring, including loans, we can probably free up close to 7m alone.

Expiring (Salary per week):

McLaughlin: 5k
Balogun: 5k
Borna: 20k
Lundstram: 30k
Jack: 20k
Roofe: 25k
Sima: 20k
Silva: 20k

There's players we'd probably be able to get decent fees for (Butland, Tav, Yilmaz, Sterling etc.). Then others that we might get a million or two for (Dowell, Matondo, Dessers etc.)

I think we will be able to raise money to fund a rebuild, but we might have to sell a Butland or a Sterling. We also have the problem of getting dead assets like Wright or Davies off the books. I'd just force guys like that out.
There is not a chance we would or could replace that number of players in one transfer window.

Easy.

McLaughlin
Roofe
Lundstram
Barasic

Offload the following:
Dessers
Lammers
Davies
Goldson

If we can’t offload any of the above group, signings need to be made to replace, at a minimum:

Goldson
Souttar
LB
CF

We cannot go into next season with the same nucleus of players in the first 11. A new CB pairing is absolutely critical along with an energetic CM.

Its crazy to think that we could win a treble (I know, I know!!), win our EL group and still demand a total clearout !!!

Theres almost a player in every position leaving for nothing beflre we even start looling at the players that play most weeks, if we replaced roofe, jack, balogun and borna with quality replacements in the current squad we have just now we would be in a much better place. Thats before we start shooting at goldson, tav, lundstram dessers etc.

Last edited:
Just to add, Clement also punted Thomas Buffel when he was at Genk, despite him playing the majority of games under him the season before and having been there for nearly a decade, so he clearly isn’t afraid to make big calls and get rid of “core” players.
He left on a free transfer. His contract was up.

Is this the correct thread to suggest that signing players who get relegated with Sheffield United should not be the way forward? Nor should taking another punt on players with an injury history.

How many players a year should ee be expecting yo step up from the acadamy?. Is it 1 every 3 or 3 years?. If so, are we getting value for money from it, and what is the point. Im maybe missing the obvious,

5m each for Tav and Goldson
2m each for Hagi and Davies
3m Dessers
4m Lammers
1m Lawrence
3m Cantwell
3m Matondo
5m Yilmaz
500k Wright
500k Dowell

Roofe, Jack, Lundstram, Barisic and McLaughlin leaving probably near 100k a week off the wage bill.

Reckon these fees are realistic and an ambitious DOF and manager would be able to rebuild the squad with that money plus a bit of extra funding from the board.
You're living in a dream if you seriously think we'll get £5 million for Goldson

The clear out stuff is nonsense, we cannot be doing this every transfer window , if we can get 3 newcomers of decent quality through the door in the summer ,and let natural wastage run its course ,and finally fill out the squad with youth we will be doing well .

The only saleable asset generating a profit we really have is Butland. Possibly Ridvan back to Turkey

We’ve already committed £4million for Diomande.

The question is who could you really build a team around from what we have.

The clear out stuff is nonsense, we cannot be doing this every transfer window , if we can get 3 newcomers of decent quality through the door in the summer ,and let natural wastage run its course ,and finally fill out the squad with youth we will be doing well .

9 leave this summer. More will follow.

It’s not nonsense it’s reality.

Back