Todd Cantwell opens up on unfair criticism he has faced at Rangers

uneasydaz

TODD CANTWELL knows he’s a divisive figure.

By the Rangers midfielder’s own admission, the way he plays often invites controversy.

But he insists he won’t change — and that some of the criticism he’s had has come from people who “need to stay relevant”.

Ahead of Saturday’s crunch clash with St Mirren in Paisley, Cantwell said: “People can make their own minds up about the on-field perception they have of me.

“I do think it’s probably unfair — and that there are certain people out there that like to jump on it.

“But I understand up here you have people who need to stay relevant and stay in the limelight.

“I’m the type of player that invites conversation — and probably controversy as well. I know that.

“I’ve found it a bit strange because there’s so much more going on, but it does seem to be highlighted.

“I’d like to be talked about in terms of how I play football more than anything else. But it’s part of what it is and you just need to move on with it.

“It would be easy for me to be a lot more introverted as a person. But I don’t want to ever live a lie, I don’t want to be false

“The person I am off the pitch is the same person I feel I am on it.

“Everyone has an on-field perception and an off-field perception. My on-field perception is probably very wrong compared to the person I am.

“But you’re in a city where football is adored by both sides and you’re going to be recognised by people.

“People are always going to have opinions and they’ll always differ. A lot of people will make their own minds up, that’s life

“But I don’t plan on changing for anyone. The people who are important to me know me and are happy with me.

“I don’t need validation from people who are irrelevant to me.

“My family and friends probably end up biting their tongues a lot more than I do. I’ve been in the football industry a long time now and a lot of things probably go over my head. People maybe think they don’t, but they do.

“But for my family, they are probably sitting there stewing over it

“My family understand me as a person and a player. They know exactly what type of lad I am. I try to keep myself to myself and not let stuff like that bother me. For me, I’m concentrating on my football.

“We’ve some big games coming up and I’m looking forward to finishing the season as strongly as possible.”

Today’s game will be Cantwell’s 50th since his January 2023 move from Norwich — and he admitted the switch has taken some adapting to.

He said: “I needed to get out of my environment and get a new one. I needed to play for an ambitious team.

“In many ways, it’s definitely what it was supposed to do for me.

“It’s a completely different club, a completely different league. The leagues are very different and, obviously, it’s a different country as well. The two can’t really be compared, I don’t think. I’ve spoken to a lot of people, a lot of Rangers fans, I understand what it means to play for this club.

“It’s not always easy to provide the quality you know you can — sometimes you can just have an off day.

“But I know what’s required off the ball and how they want someone to play for the shirt.

“That’s all I can try to do in every game and hopefully my quality comes through.

“A couple of injuries have given a little bit of a bitter taste about how the season might have been for me personally.

“With the season where it is and what’s up for grabs, if you’d said to me at the start, ‘Would you take that?’, I’d probably have said yes

“I’m getting back into the shape that I want to be in and I’m looking to finish strongly.

“The most testing part about playing here is yourself.

“The demands are obvious and simple, but for yourself it’s about being able to pick yourself up from disappointments in games, disappointments in performances, disappointment in yourself, disappointment in the team.

“Those are the everyday challenges a footballer goes through, and people probably don’t appreciate so much.

“You don’t get that breathing time here. You go straight back into another game and the expectations are back up to the roof.

“It’s important that you find within yourself a place that you can get to and know what you can get out of yourself. And I’ve found that.”

Cantwell says his display in the Scottish Cup semi-final win against Hearts last week should give his season’s run-in lift-off.

He said: “I’d like that to be a baseline. I don’t think it was anywhere near my best performance or any performance I can provide

“It got well received but moving forward at my fittest and best, playing where and how I want to play, there’s a lot more to come. If that can be my baseline until the end of the season, it can stand us in a good place.”

Not wrong.....however Todd, the time to do the talking is when we are sitting with trophies in the Cabinet, as this is parochial Scotland, and your comments will be twisted in more ways than an Olga Korbut Gold medal Olympic performance, albeit, you're only being honest.
Much easier to speak / criticise from a position of power.

Not wrong.....however Todd, the time to do the talking is when we are sitting with trophies in the Cabinet, as this is parochial Scotland, and your comments will be twisted in more ways than an Olga Korbut Gold medal Olympic performance, albeit, you're only being honest.
He’s already got the first trophy of the season, and can get another 2, he’s entitled to fucking speak.

Nothing to do with the article as such, but I'm not 100% sure the lad will necessarily be here next season.

My instinct is that he may seek a move back south. Just my gut feeling.

I also remain unconvinced that him and Clement are on genuinely good terms.
I e been thinking all of that for a while.

Talented player but I’m not convinced his long-term future is at Ibrox.
Hope he leaves with a full set of medals.

I like Todd, and I do agree he seems to attract criticism from media and our own fans at times. He has definitely matured compared to when he first arrived, he plays on the edge but seems to have cut out the senseless yellows.

The reason why I like TC is he always tries, even if he has a poor game it’s not through lack of trying. A player with a lot of ability, that has be hamstrung with injuries at important times. Sound familiar ?

Our injury record really does need studied!

The witch hunt comes to every Rangers player, that looks like they might become a threat to their beloved bheasts. They do everything they can to set a narrative that stifles them on the park. Our player is then officiated to a different standard than other players. Was the same way Morelos was treated when he was looking like a threat. Meanwhile we have cheating, diving rat pieces of sh1te across the city like furuhashi and hatate, and not a peep about it.

Does he have the ability and the right mentality to help Rangers win the league this season or next?

I don't have much confidence in our squad after losing to Motherwell and Ross County in recent weeks. He'll be severely tested at the Piggery in the League soon enough.

Raking over old coals here, I'd prefer he put them in their place by winning on the pitch and becoming a league winner. Unlikely to happen though, him and others have shat the nest big time.

Stop spouting pish.
Calm doon Son.
If you had actually taken the time to read, and digest my original post, you might have detected that I stated "trophies". That's plural, and as such means more than one.
Not "Can get another two", as were your words.
Can wins nothing, achievement actually does.
Now run along to your Cot and don't embarrass yourself any more please.

He's won the only trophy he could this season.

Is he allowed to speak now?

The witch hunt comes to every Rangers player, that looks like they might become a threat to their beloved bheasts. They do everything they can to set a narrative that stifles them on the park. Our player is then officiated to a different standard than other players. Was the same way Morelos was treated when he was looking like a threat. Meanwhile we have cheating, diving rat pieces of sh1te across the city like furuhashi and hatate, and not a peep about it.
Doesn't help when our own fans merrily jump on that bandwagon.

I know some fans will say 'do your talking on the pitch' but he's still a young lad in a new country who's received a constant barrage of abuse from one very prominent member of the press. If the roles were reversed and he played for them, he would get so much more sympathy.

I think he's one guy who does have the temperament to succeed at a club like ours, I just question his ability in that middle 10 position in the big games.

Called a diver despite 7 fouls against and being booted off the pitch. He’s right - folk talk utter shite to stay relevant.
Yes called a diver by scumbag opposing fans and their bias media pundits and bigoted British hating sports reporters or basically Celtic's propaganda machine!

This lad just before he ended up injured had been getting kicked up and down the park whilst no protection by scum yellow and red card holders with a whistle and less relevant flag waving linesmen!

They are indiscriminately attacking our players just look at Silva saying he is a diver that is bs! Who is next?

He shouldn’t care less what anyone else’s opinion of him is. When he first came onto the scene at Norwich he was getting valued as a £40/50m player on a par with Grealish at Villa at the time. Especially cocksockets like Sutton who wouldn’t give him any praise if he was head and shoulders POTY.

TODD CANTWELL knows he’s a divisive figure.

By the Rangers midfielder’s own admission, the way he plays often invites controversy.

But he insists he won’t change — and that some of the criticism he’s had has come from people who “need to stay relevant”.

Ahead of Saturday’s crunch clash with St Mirren in Paisley, Cantwell said: “People can make their own minds up about the on-field perception they have of me.

“I do think it’s probably unfair — and that there are certain people out there that like to jump on it.

“But I understand up here you have people who need to stay relevant and stay in the limelight.

“I’m the type of player that invites conversation — and probably controversy as well. I know that.

“I’ve found it a bit strange because there’s so much more going on, but it does seem to be highlighted.

“I’d like to be talked about in terms of how I play football more than anything else. But it’s part of what it is and you just need to move on with it.

“It would be easy for me to be a lot more introverted as a person. But I don’t want to ever live a lie, I don’t want to be false

“The person I am off the pitch is the same person I feel I am on it.

“Everyone has an on-field perception and an off-field perception. My on-field perception is probably very wrong compared to the person I am.

“But you’re in a city where football is adored by both sides and you’re going to be recognised by people.

“People are always going to have opinions and they’ll always differ. A lot of people will make their own minds up, that’s life

“But I don’t plan on changing for anyone. The people who are important to me know me and are happy with me.

“I don’t need validation from people who are irrelevant to me.

“My family and friends probably end up biting their tongues a lot more than I do. I’ve been in the football industry a long time now and a lot of things probably go over my head. People maybe think they don’t, but they do.

“But for my family, they are probably sitting there stewing over it

“My family understand me as a person and a player. They know exactly what type of lad I am. I try to keep myself to myself and not let stuff like that bother me. For me, I’m concentrating on my football.

“We’ve some big games coming up and I’m looking forward to finishing the season as strongly as possible.”

Today’s game will be Cantwell’s 50th since his January 2023 move from Norwich — and he admitted the switch has taken some adapting to.

He said: “I needed to get out of my environment and get a new one. I needed to play for an ambitious team.

“In many ways, it’s definitely what it was supposed to do for me.

“It’s a completely different club, a completely different league. The leagues are very different and, obviously, it’s a different country as well. The two can’t really be compared, I don’t think. I’ve spoken to a lot of people, a lot of Rangers fans, I understand what it means to play for this club.

“It’s not always easy to provide the quality you know you can — sometimes you can just have an off day.

“But I know what’s required off the ball and how they want someone to play for the shirt.

“That’s all I can try to do in every game and hopefully my quality comes through.

“A couple of injuries have given a little bit of a bitter taste about how the season might have been for me personally.

“With the season where it is and what’s up for grabs, if you’d said to me at the start, ‘Would you take that?’, I’d probably have said yes

“I’m getting back into the shape that I want to be in and I’m looking to finish strongly.

“The most testing part about playing here is yourself.

“The demands are obvious and simple, but for yourself it’s about being able to pick yourself up from disappointments in games, disappointments in performances, disappointment in yourself, disappointment in the team.

“Those are the everyday challenges a footballer goes through, and people probably don’t appreciate so much.

“You don’t get that breathing time here. You go straight back into another game and the expectations are back up to the roof.

“It’s important that you find within yourself a place that you can get to and know what you can get out of yourself. And I’ve found that.”

Cantwell says his display in the Scottish Cup semi-final win against Hearts last week should give his season’s run-in lift-off.

He said: “I’d like that to be a baseline. I don’t think it was anywhere near my best performance or any performance I can provide

“It got well received but moving forward at my fittest and best, playing where and how I want to play, there’s a lot more to come. If that can be my baseline until the end of the season, it can stand us in a good place.”
If the hearts game is his baseline then that will do for me.

Nothing to do with the article as such, but I'm not 100% sure the lad will necessarily be here next season.

My instinct is that he may seek a move back south. Just my gut feeling.

I also remain unconvinced that him and Clement are on genuinely good terms.

Also think he’ll be gone this summer. I don’t think Clement fancies him in the long run, neither as a player nor personality, and given the lack of resources at his disposal is simply managing it.

Also think he’ll be gone this summer. I don’t think Clement fancies him in the long run, neither as a player nor personality, and given the lack of resources at his disposal is simply managing it.
He was arguably the best man on the park last Sunday why on earth would he not be fancied?

The criticism doesn't bother him but he does a calculated media piece at a critical time of the season . The old saying , do your talking on the pitch springs to mind .
His work rate in the semi against Hearts was what the supporters demand every game and from every player , he's correct that the effort he put in should be his baseline , the message needs to filter through to others .

Last edited:
The criticism doesn't bother him but he does a calculated media piece at a critical time of the season . The old saying do your talking on the pitch springs to mind
This, times a million.

He's had more attention for his interviews and social media stuff this season than his actual performances..

Great game last week, but keep it buttoned and get on with it ffs.

Latest posts

Back