Torry Gillick selecting himself

I've read that there were blizzard conditions that day but to think just over 41,000 fans bought a ticket for the game but didn't go must be quite unique.

Put simply, roughly 50% of the attendance on the day who had bought tickets didn't turn up.

Even I was too young for this one, but what a team. Some giants of our history playing as a team. Anyone of Brown, Young, Shaw, McColl, Woodburn, Gillick, Thornton and Jimmy Duncanson would walk into our team today, with Duncanson having not only scored a hat-trick against the shinners but also 22 goals against them!

Even I was too young for this one, but what a team. Some giants of our history playing as a team. Anyone of Brown, Young, Shaw, McColl, Woodburn, Gillick, Thornton and Jimmy Duncanson would walk into our team today, with Duncanson having not only scored a hat-trick against the shinners but also 22 goals against them!
Jock Shaw was my mother’s uncle.

Jock Shaw was my mother’s uncle.
A real privilege, mate. The guy was a rock. He’d go through walls for Rangers. Who in our present team has that mentality? One Jock Shaw type today would be enough to inspire the team to win at Parhead as the rock-hard confidence would spread across the team.

My old man always told me the story;

There would be times Tory Gillick would turn up late for training. He would get into the training gear and join the rest of the players going round the track at Ibrox and keeping out of Bill Struth's vision.

Bear in mind, Struth would be in his early 70s by then and in failing health.

Training would be finished and Struth would tell the players all to go and get showered and off for the day.

The bold Tory was amongst the throng.

Where are you going Tory? You were late in, you have another couple of hours training to make up.

Nobody got anything by the Guv'nor.

Back