Transistor radios on the last day of the season

Wasn't just the last day, the "guy with the tranny" was how you kept up to date with how the other lot were doing most weeks.

That expression would mean something completely different now!
There was always someone in the East Enclosure with one at every game back in the 90’s. Half times were announced by the guy as they came in.

I couldn’t be bothered carrying one. I’d lose it when I was pished. I knew there would be somebody close with one.

Feel like Helicopter Sunday at Easter Road may have been the last hurrah for trannys at the football.
Different type of trannies at the football soon with the way the world is going.

Last I remember of them was 2003 against Dunfermline when it was a shootout, loads around me in GF6 telling us what was going on at Rugby Park.

I just watched Helicopter Sunday on TV so never needed one then

I mentioned this to a boy in work and it was a common thing. I was at Ibrox in a meaningless game when 16 and there was a cheer when it came through Hearts scored with Walter Kidd. It turned out it was not Walter but Dundee's Albert who scored 2 goals to kill off Heart's title challenge on the last day.

Celtic still had to beat St Mirren by 3 clear goals and is it any real surprise they won 5-0. I think it was Frank McAvennie who said St Mirren players were betting each other at half time.

Anyone who sits anywhere near me will remember Radio Rab.
Could tell by his expression if the tims had just conceded a goal

There was a clown in the Main Stand on the day we played Dunfermline at Ibrox, and they were at Rugby Park.

I'm amazed he wasn't lynched for the bogus goals he was saying were being scored by Celtc.

I don't even think his radio was working. :))

There was a clown in the Main Stand on the day we played Dunfermline at Ibrox, and they were at Rugby Park.

I'm amazed he wasn't lynched for the bogus goals he was saying were being scored by Celtc.

I don't even think his radio was working. :))
Was at the Ibrox beamback for the final day of the 1998 season - we were doing our bit at Tannadice but unfortunately that lot were in the driving seat across the city.

Big roar goes up for a (supposed) equaliser for St Johnstone and the place is buzzing. Turns out the radio commentary was reporting on an equaliser somewhere else and, with what was at stake, everyone listening had jumped the gun.

Some poor bugger in the Broomloan Rear was obviously meaning well, got up to clear up the situation and got a barrage of abuse :confused:

Last edited:
Helicopter Sunday….

Wee guy sat in front of us with the headphones on listening to them for the full game.

Was keeping us updated until Motherwell had a chance cleared off the line.

We told him then only to let us know if Motherwell scored.

I’ll never, ever forget him launching into the air screaming, “MOTHERWELL HAVE SCORED! MOTHERWELL HAVE SCORED! MOTHERWELL HAVE SCORED!“

Quick celebration then we resigned ourselves to thinking, they bastards will sneak a winner.

Then…

“MOTHERWELL HAVE SCORED AGAIN! MOTHERWELL HAVE SCORED AGAIN! MOTHERWELL HAVE SCORED AGAIN!“

What a memory, man:)

Back