UEFA meeting on Tuesday- what will they do ?

They will do what Sky et al tells them to do.Maybe have one off playoff games to decide who gets the European spots. The big clubs will be looked after but the diddy clubs may take a pumping.

On Tuesday they will kill off both European competitions and possibly confirm Euros move to next summer.

They will then set another meeting for how teams left in Europe currently will be dealt with.

I don’t believe they will get involved in domestic league discussions at this point. There is no rush. This problem ain’t going away overnight. They have plenty time to take bribes from the big leagues first

They have to come out with a blanket set of rules to apply to every scenario in every league. If not it'll be f*cking carnage with law suits all over the place and clubs taking each other and their governing bodies to CAS or even local law courts.

My (blue tinted glasses obscured) view would be that they MUST set a deadline set for resumption of domestic leagues and European competitions. If the deadline is not met then the following applies:

No promotion or relegation.
No league titles awarded for overall championships or lower leagues.
European qualification awarded on current standings.
Domestic prize money awarded based on current standings - this will obviously be reduced due to sponsors not paying for exposure over a full season.
Any prize monies left over for domestic cups competitions split evenly with those teams still not eliminated.

There may be other nuances I've missed but IMO this covers the biggest and most contentious issues. An arbitrary ruling that applies to ALL European leagues if they can't resume competitive matches by a set date (mid-end of April?). No iffs, no buts, no whinging like f*ck from treacle teeth and fat Peter.

The other issue that I feel has got scant coverage is the survival of clubs. That's not just the smaller clubs but the vast vast majority with little or no income over the coming months. UEFA and FIFA are surely extremely cash rich. Surely they have to dish out cash to leagues which should be used to compensate clubs to an equivalent level of what they will lose out on in terms of gate and sponsorship money fro mbewtween now and what would have been the end of the season.

What I expect from the meeting next week-

They will announce EURO 2020 is postponed by a year
They will announce that a decision on the Champions league and Europa will be made in 2-3 weeks . They will propose in the event they are cancelled any prize money and coefficient points earned up to the end of the last round are to be awarded and future prize money to be split equally between remaining teams.
They will request each FA reports back in 2 weeks with their plans for 1 - extending leagues, 2- voiding leagues. If extending how they plan to schedule and if voiding how they propose to award European places and prize money )along with potential league changes to allow promotion etc)
They will propose a preliminary season end date where if competitions are incomplete they are considered void - end of June probably.

In the following meeting it will be clearer if extending is even an option, if voiding is the only option and if next season can start and when - if extending is possible they will go with that option and try to end the season by the end date agreed.
If voiding is the only option they will give clubs another 2-3 weeks to come back with a finalised plan based on a next season expected start date

This is not going to be done in one meeting or even 2/3

I get your point about giving local FAs the opportunity to reach a local consensus. The problem I foresee with that is local tribalism and rivalries will rip it all to shreds. As has been mentioned above, the EPL is pretty much a forgone conclusion but so many leagues are neck and neck. No one within a stones throw of the title will meekly accept a local decision that the current standings apply for the league title when the country next door declares the league null and void.

It's all too east to see things through the prism of the OF but fans in every other country in Europe are just as passionate about their teams as we are, hate their local rivals just as much, and will never accept their rivals being awarded a title when there so little between the teams.

If they void the leagues, who qualifies for Europe next season?

A real can of worms, so I imagine they will try to find a way of completing this one.

Too many folk thinking the only 2 options are declare current positions final or null and void.

The 3rd and most likely option is to finish the season whenever safe to do so, probably july/august.

Yes it will still cause problems but i think the authority’s will see less problems with this than declaring current positions final or null and void.

When will next season start?
What about the players out of contract in May?
What about loan players (Docherty)coming back to there parent clubs?
What about the Europa qualifiers in June?
What about new signings ?

Nae chance

See this idea of coming back it assumes that players and their families are somehow magically immune from infection. Any team who has any infected players will not be able to fulfil their games. The season is over.

this isnt going away in 3 weeks
we are nowhere near the peak of this pandemic
i reckon june at least so teams will be preparing for the new season
null and void is the only solution
in my opinion next seasons start will be delayed to and
may end up only playing each other twice not 4 times

Peter Grant doesnt look to pleased:))
Xw6e9o7.jpg
Great post mate

I think they’ll probably suspone the Euros until next summer, but unlikely to be any final decision or guidance on the national leagues at this point.

Think they're gonna pospone the Euros and ensure that domestic football is played till the end....when that would be is anyones guess

I find it genuinely amusing at how we're all so content and on board with the prospect of a voided league, ultimately because it suits us. Can you imagine if, as it stands, we were sitting even a few points clear and the poets wanted the league voided, given the prospect of us potentially being crowned 29 games in - we'd be apoplectic and adamant that the league is resumed when safe to do so (I'm confident we wouldn't demand to be crowned champions without actually earning it - such a poet thing to do). Similarly, imagine we'd scudded Leverkusen 4-1 on Thursday and were now faced with the prospect of that being wiped and having to return to QF R1 in July?

And for the record, I'm all for the safety of the wider public etc etc etc, but, let's be candid about this, I want this league fucking voided asap and the tims seething.

Happy to be the one to post what we're all really thinking here :)

Back