VAR yesterday

Maestro72

I was in favour of this coming in but I’m slowly coming to the end of my tether with it.

That first half yesterday was an absolute farce. Never seen a game as stop start as that. Sat there with no clue what’s going on half the time.

Turning into a game of American football.

VAR works well when there’s competent officials using it, look at both CL Semis last week.

The problem we have up here is refs and assistants seem to defer the actual officiating of the game to VAR, rather than making decisions.

It’s incredibly difficult at times to know what’s happening when in the stadium. The multiple var check at one point took an age- surely it should be quicker. But given how little we have been given until VAR intervened this season I think for all its flaws it benefits us

It takes far too long, and there's little explanation for those in the stadium.
Getting it right is the most important thing, but it needs to improve both the speed and communication of decisions.
I believe in the msl the ref told the stadium the decision of a check. Not sure if it’s a trial or standard now.

It took a while but take the penalty

Offside was given so there would have been no penalty amd no red card. It was a blatant handball.

We don't win 4-1 with our the red card tbh

We were actually lucky the ball went into goal hitting of tav as well as it was a similar situation his hand moved near the ball if it hadn't been scored he could have been sent off as I'm sure there was killie player following up to touch it in if it had changed direction and been cleared he was off.

It needs to be quicker and used better but it got decisions right

I was in favour of this coming in but I’m slowly coming to the end of my tether with it.

That first half yesterday was an absolute farce. Never seen a game as stop start as that. Sat there with no clue what’s going on half the time.

Could you imagine how bad it would have been with no var! No red card, no pen

They took forever early in the first half checking a handball which was never a penalty and an offside which was at least 3 yards off. They even spent time doing the lines for that offside when it wasn’t even remotely tight.

But if there was no VAR we probably drop points yesterday. Once again we needed it to get a stonewall penalty and red card that the linesman and ref “missed” and Silva was flagged offside for it too.

The first handball one should never have went to VAR IMO.

The offside at Dessers penalty incident was clearly miles off. Should never have taken so long.

They got the offside wrong and missed the handball. VAR was used well in this instance

One out of 3 ain't bad.

I can’t believe we still see this, VAR got the decisions correct, they do need to speed up but we would be screwed over if there was no var.
The screens show what check is being done

For the penalty the screen had the 3 checks handball/offside/red card denying ofgoal scoring opportunity

I can't see how we can continue to use it in football. Half the fans don't celebrate their team's goal for fear the decision will be overturned.

That Dessers one was fucking ridiculous. I sit in the Main Stand at the Copland end and even I knew in real time he was a few yards offside to start with. Took them over a minute and apparently they drew lines and everything.

Overall though, it was needed for the red card incident which was a big help to us winning the game by the margin we did.

That Dessers one was fucking ridiculous. I sit in the Main Stand at the Copland end and even I knew in real time he was a few yards offside to start with. Took them over a minute and apparently they drew lines and everything.

Overall though, it was needed for the red card incident which was a big help to us winning the game by the margin we did.
They did draw lines. It was absolutely ridiculous when it was shown on the screen with the line and Dessers about 5 yards offside :))

Video assistant referee.

It’s there to assist them, in Scotland it appears VAR is refereeing the game fully at times.

Take the semi final of the Champions League (I know I know quality is higher yadda yadda) but the ref didn’t use it once, was confident in himself.

Scottish referees are rotten.

The first handball took far too long and it shouldn't have really went to VAR either. No VAR then means an incorrect offside and no red card for a blatant handball or being awarded our 14th penalty out of 17 in the league by VAR.

No VAR for those 14 penalties would mean the league would have been over a long time ago. There needs to be improvement quicker decision making but getting rid of it absolutely not let's try improve it instead.

The first handball took far too long and it shouldn't have really went to VAR either. No VAR then means an incorrect offside and no red card for a blatant handball or being awarded our 14th penalty out of 17 in the league by VAR.

No VAR for those 14 penalties would mean the league would have been over a long time ago. There needs to be improvement quicker decision making but getting rid of it absolutely not let's try improve it instead.

Or perhaps, considering the recent news about the wrong decisions against us with VAR, they have been instructed to take more time?

Just a thought.

Video assistant referee.

It’s there to assist them, in Scotland it appears VAR is refereeing the game fully at times.

Take the semi final of the Champions League (I know I know quality is higher yadda yadda) but the ref didn’t use it once, was confident in himself.

Scottish referees are rotten.
It’s not up to the ref to use it. If he didn’t check anything then that’s because the VAR team didn’t see anything in the game that warranted a check, that’s nothing to do with the ref and his confidence.

I can’t believe we still see this, VAR got the decisions correct, they do need to speed up but we would be screwed over if there was no var.
Yet I believe that the Scottish VAR review board who oversee the performance of Var over the season have come out and indicated that Rangers have been disadvantaged more than any other SPL team in Scotland.

This for me is most peculiar as we are led to believe that OF fans because of their numbers influence officers to their benefit.
Certainly one half of the OF.

In summary VAR is probably to the benefit of Rangers but still not as much as should be.
However conversely works to the Nth degree of the Paedos as can’t remember it not working in favour of them apart from a penalty given against them at Tynecastle but that was only after a ludicrous penalty award for them prior to that.

The main issue is the time it takes, but yesterday it got all the decisions correct. Hopefully the semi automated offsides speed thinks up.

VAR is not the problem.
The problem lies with -
  • Those who operate it being incompetent
  • Referees copping out of decisions knowing VAR will take the heat
  • The system being used for decisions which are not ‘clear and obvious’ errors
  • Lack of communication with fans in the stadium
  • Lack of transparency in issuing reasons for decisions or audio content
Rugby Union’s system is the way it should be at football
Why not allow the referee and VAR chief’s conversations to be played over the stadium speaker system?

VAR gets the decisions for us that the refs don't give us. We would have missed out in a lot of penalties if it wasn't for VAR.

The refs are at it and should be pulled up about it.

We are the team this happens to the most.

Yet I believe that the Scottish VAR review board who oversee the performance of Var over the season have come out and indicated that Rangers have been disadvantaged more than any other SPL team in Scotland.

This for me is most peculiar as we are led to believe that OF fans because of their numbers influence officers to their benefit.

In summary VAR is probably to the benefit of Rangers but still not as much as should be.
However conversely works to the Nth degree of the Paedos as can’t remember it not working in favour of them apart from a penalty given against them at Tynecastle but that was only after a ludicrous penalty award for them prior to that.
Most of Celtics penalties have came from the ref awarding them and nothing to do with VAR.

Most of our penalties have been missed by the ref and we have needed VAR to spot it despite a number of them being completely blatant.

We may have had decisions go against us but without VAR we are miles behind in the league.

Or perhaps, considering the recent news about the wrong decisions against us with VAR, they have been instructed to take more time?

Just a thought.

Yeah possibly but there was no need for the time the first one took because Ndaba is right next to Sterling there's nothing he could do to get out the way. Think the penalty incident with Dessers although he was offside I think they checked the full attacking phase before going to the lines which confirmed the offside which I kind of get given Dickinson had gave the penalty.

Yeah possibly but there was no need for the time the first one took because Ndaba is right next to Sterling there's nothing he could do to get out the way. Think the penalty incident with Dessers although he was offside I think they checked the full attacking phase before going to the lines which confirmed the offside which I kind of get given Dickinson had gave the penalty.
They should check the offside first though and if he’s onside then check the penalty. They even spent time doing the lines to show he was about 5 yards off!

There was that much going on the first 20 I can't remember it all, but I remember looking at the clock and thinking there has hardly been 10 mins of football here

If Dickinson did his job properly then we would not have the farce like Sunday. Killie at Rugby Park, Hibs a few weeks back and Sunday he bottled the big calls. If not for VAR we would have been shafted. The VAR REVIEW team called him wrong on Lundstram hand ball. I wonder what they will say about Sunday.

It’s not up to the ref to use it. If he didn’t check anything then that’s because the VAR team didn’t see anything in the game that warranted a check, that’s nothing to do with the ref and his confidence.

Either way, in Scotland you’re constantly sitting about with no idea what’s going on.

In a VAR room, on the pitch, on the side line, they’re all abysmal at their job.

Also…in my opinion refs are relying on VAR to make decisions. In the CL example I used he made the calls and they were right as per your definition of how VAR works.

VAR is not the problem.
The problem lies with -
Why not allow the referee and VAR chief’s conversations to be played over the stadium speaker system?

Because that would confirm that our refs are incompetent at best and corrupt at worst.

Oh watch their bowels make grumbles if that was ever to be introduced

VAR is not the problem.
The problem lies with -

Happened yesterday in the Melbourne Derby in their semi final elimination game. Ref was called over for a handball decision but the Victory player was offside. The ref then spoke to the fans in the stadium to explain the decision and why he wasn't giving the penalty so mentioned the offside.

That would clear things up were it allowed to happen regularly but the A-league don't do it during their regular season so maybe a trial period or something like that. Think IFAB are reluctant to go down that route but have been saying for a while if the commentators can hear the VAR conversation why not viewers as well?

Either way, in Scotland you’re constantly sitting about with no idea what’s going on.

In a VAR room, on the pitch, on the side line, they’re all abysmal at their job.

Also…in my opinion refs are relying on VAR to make decisions. In the CL example I used he made the calls and they were right as per your definition of how VAR works.
I agree the refs here use VAR as a crutch for the big decisions rather than make it themselves.

VAR got the job done correctly. The inept buffoon refereeing was losing the plot. Relying on VAR as he is shite at his job or purposely reffing another Rangers game badly. Take your pick.

There was that much going on the first 20 I can't remember it all, but I remember looking at the clock and thinking there has hardly been 10 mins of football here

Aye it was a bit of a mess there was that handball, Dessers penalty shout, checked the Killie goal for offside and then the red card incident/missed penalty.

The first fifteen minutes felt like a training match for referees on day one.

Constant, dragging on and confusing everyone into the bargain. Doesn’t help that we can’t get the messaging on the screens for it correct either!

VAR works well when there’s competent officials using it, look at both CL Semis last week.

The problem we have up here is refs and assistants seem to defer the actual officiating of the game to VAR, rather than making decisions.
I keep saying this. VAR is not the problem. Incompetent officials are.

VAR officials should never have asked the referee to look at the 1st penalty.

Offside was clearly an error which should easily be dealt with.

On field referee should see the handball and award the penalty and red card.

Employ competent, professional officials and VAR becomes a tool to assist.

It’s not as simple as saying “oh without VAR we’d be worse off”. It’s a false assumption that without VAR in operation we would have got none of those decisions.

What’s actually happening is that VAR is changing ref’s behaviour. They now use it as a crutch (which it was never intended to be) and erring on the side of not making decisions because they know VAR will catch it.

But it’s got to ridiculous levels. Take the Lundstram “goal” yesterday. Dessers is 3 yards offside. How is a linesman not catching that? I get you would rather they not stop the play but I’m sitting there having seen it and knowing a full phase of play is worthless because it’s offside. It actually makes the officiating look worse.

And that’s before we get to handballs which is turned into farce from a combination of a bad rule and now slow motion VAR cameras. Fair enough it got the penalty right but that first review shouldn’t even be considered never mind take so long.

I think overall VAR is the right concept but I’m not going to shy away from pointing out the negatives of it that need improved/re-thought just because “statistically” we’ve benefitted.

I get the argument that its better for correct decisions to be made but it completely ruins the flow of a game. It also seems like Refs are now refusing to make any calls and then rely on VAR to referee which is the exact opposite of how it was described when it was introduced.

In principle, I agree with the Op that VAR disrupts the game. Secondly, I find myself no longer jumping up at a goal, but waiting to see if the goal stands after VAR. That is the big downside. However, overall, we seem to have benefited from VAR in terms of goals/penalties and points collected, apart from the games against the mentally challengeds, when in fact it has gone against us in all 3 games so far. In theory, we have lost possibly 4 points as a result of VAR against the mentally challengeds. We win some, we lose some.

McFadden said yesterday that panel don't check every incident that's went to VAR they just take certain decisions then give their opinion on it. Certainly with the ones that have been checked we've been done the most out of it and as the penalty stats show we have had 14 of our 17 have been awarded via a VAR review its why the tims want rid of it.

Getting it right is the most important thing, but it needs to improve both the speed and communication of decisions.
I'm row X in Govan Front, so can't even see the screens and the tannoy announcements are unintelligible. Spent much of the first 20 minutes yesterday twiddling my thumbs. I get that VAR is here to stay and yes it's obviously important officials come to the correct decisions, but by God there's so much room for improvement in pretty much every aspect of it. It's farcical at times.

VAR was on the ball yesterday it was the clown of a referee who lost the plot in the first half.

The six nations championships in Rugby Union is all you need to replicate. That is the template and the gold standard right there.

It won't be allowed up here because it won't suit the filth and/or our corrupt officials.

Rangers should be demanding it. It won't make as lick of difference of course, but why not throw the cat in amongst the pigeons?

Back