VAR yesterday

I’m all for VAR but the useless cunts up here are letting it referee the game. The standard of officiating is now the toenails in a bottle, it’s never been so bad, there is not one ref that can handle a game of any magnitude. Before we had Dallas and his peers all fifa / uefa level no ,after how bad you perceived them, this current crop are like picking up dog shit.

Given that Sutton and McFadden were moaning that the game was being re-reffed is proof enough that VAR got the decisions right.

There's no doubt that it disrupts the flow of the game.
VAR has been more advantageous to us than not this season in redressing ommisions or errors by the referee.
Yesterday's red card was a good example.Blatant hand ball that stopped a goal.

VAR did its job way to slowly though
however shambolic refereeing was the main issue he must be one of the worst refs I've seen for years scared to make any decisions unless VAR did it for him so what's the point of the ref if he wont referee the game

VAR is fine if the people using it know what they are doing, some amount of time spent making a clearly obvious call that didn`t need it. Referees need to do their job and not let VAR do it for them.

It’s not as simple as saying “oh without VAR we’d be worse off”. It’s a false assumption that without VAR in operation we would have got none of those decisions.

What’s actually happening is that VAR is changing ref’s behaviour. They now use it as a crutch (which it was never intended to be) and erring on the side of not making decisions because they know VAR will catch it.

But it’s got to ridiculous levels. Take the Lundstram “goal” yesterday. Dessers is 3 yards offside. How is a linesman not catching that? I get you would rather they not stop the play but I’m sitting there having seen it and knowing a full phase of play is worthless because it’s offside. It actually makes the officiating look worse.

And that’s before we get to handballs which is turned into farce from a combination of a bad rule and now slow motion VAR cameras. Fair enough it got the penalty right but that first review shouldn’t even be considered never mind take so long.

I think overall VAR is the right concept but I’m not going to shy away from pointing out the negatives of it that need improved/re-thought just because “statistically” we’ve benefitted.

I'm sure the linesman did catch that one as the flag went up as soon as Lundstram scored. He was correct in not flagging until the move played out. It's a daft rule though, but I get why they don't want to stop play when they don't need to.

Actually think the bias on the pitch has got slightly worse with VAR.... refs seem to have an attitude that Rangers will probably get an obvious/clear penalty from tv replays so give us absolutely nothing out there.

It is crucial for us against the other clubs but i cant really see us ever getting much in the old firms. You just know they will do something mental next week if Rangers surprise everyone with a performance and it turns out to be a close game.

It’s not as simple as saying “oh without VAR we’d be worse off”. It’s a false assumption that without VAR in operation we would have got none of those decisions.

What’s actually happening is that VAR is changing ref’s behaviour. They now use it as a crutch (which it was never intended to be) and erring on the side of not making decisions because they know VAR will catch it.

But it’s got to ridiculous levels. Take the Lundstram “goal” yesterday. Dessers is 3 yards offside. How is a linesman not catching that? I get you would rather they not stop the play but I’m sitting there having seen it and knowing a full phase of play is worthless because it’s offside. It actually makes the officiating look worse.

And that’s before we get to handballs which is turned into farce from a combination of a bad rule and now slow motion VAR cameras. Fair enough it got the penalty right but that first review shouldn’t even be considered never mind take so long.

I think overall VAR is the right concept but I’m not going to shy away from pointing out the negatives of it that need improved/re-thought just because “statistically” we’ve benefitted.
I haven't looked at the data but is it the case for all teams in the league that over 80% of their penalties have been awarded by VAR?

14 from 17 (I believe it is) is an incredible amount.

It takes far too long, and there's little explanation for those in the stadium.
Getting it right is the most important thing, but it needs to improve both the speed and communication of decisions.
Exactly this, too slow and appears to be a secret as to what's happening for those in the ground.

I'm sure the linesman did catch that one as the flag went up as soon as Lundstram scored. He was correct in not flagging until the move played out. It's a daft rule though, but I get why they don't want to stop play when they don't need to.
Here’s the question - with the introduction of semi-auto offsides what will a linesman actually have left to do?

Considering they even seem to have trouble flagging for shys, will be an easy pay day running up and down a touchline for 90 mins.

The people who get the worst deal out of VAR are the fans in the stadium. It takes too long for the notice to be displayed saying there is a review and there isn't enough information given when the review is over. Surely the 4th official has a link to the audio and they could announce why the review is taking place. They should also display the stills for offside and handball when the review is over.

I was in favour of this coming in but I’m slowly coming to the end of my tether with it.

That first half yesterday was an absolute farce. Never seen a game as stop start as that. Sat there with no clue what’s going on half the time.

Turning into a game of American football.
It's not the fault of VAR it's the time it takes. Without it yesterday there would have been a good chance that we wouldn't have won.

Spot on for me.

Id much rather it took a bit longer to reach the correct decision tbh.
Look at the amount of penalties etc we only got because of VAR.
Only that lot want rid of it.
Keep it & hopefully the people that run it will improve (wont hold my breath though).

McFadden said yesterday that panel don't check every incident that's went to VAR they just take certain decisions then give their opinion on it. Certainly with the ones that have been checked we've been done the most out of it and as the penalty stats show we have had 14 of our 17 have been awarded via a VAR review its why the tims want rid of it.
That does confirm the fact that VAR has been positive for Rangers.
However my point is that it could have been more helpful and there have been other decisions that should have gone in our favour according to the Scottish review.

It’s a good rule, if the linesman flags Silva we don’t get the penalty and then the red card.

I can't see how we can continue to use it in football. Half the fans don't celebrate their team's goal for fear the decision will be overturned.
Nonsense. Dessers scuffs one into the net next week I'm celebrating whether its borderline offside or not. Just as I always have pre-VAR.

Most of Celtics penalties have came from the ref awarding them and nothing to do with VAR.

Most of our penalties have been missed by the ref and we have needed VAR to spot it despite a number of them being completely blatant.

We may have had decisions go against us but without VAR we are miles behind in the league.
Does that not indicate that where Rangers are involved in a penalty incident that when referees look at these incidents they are reluctant to give a penalty to Rangers.
Conversely if the Paedos are involved there is no reluctance to give a penalty by referees.

That must be a real cause for concern.
It’s ok VAR correcting bad decisions but it goes further than that.
The root cause is rotten.
Add the decisions in crucial OF games where virtually every one have gone against us even with the input of VAR.!
Conclusion it’s loaded against us.

You are right, apart from the fact the refs missed them.
They’re not missing them. They’re not risking making a decision until VAR has angles for them to look at.

For some reason refs are terrified of the idea of one of their decisions being overturned after VAR review.

One aspect of VAR that no one discusses is the effect of a team scoring, celebrating like crazy, and then the goal being disallowed. This gives a massive advantage to the opposition and deflates the scoring team, more so than a quick offside call ever did.

This happened in the last OF game. It'd have been better for us if Beaton had blown the whistle straightaway. Having the goal disallowed was so flattening that the team didn't pick up. We scored about half an hour later.

In principle, I agree with the Op that VAR disrupts the game. Secondly, I find myself no longer jumping up at a goal, but waiting to see if the goal stands after VAR. That is the big downside. However, overall, we seem to have benefited from VAR in terms of goals/penalties and points collected, apart from the games against the mentally challengeds, when in fact it has gone against us in all 3 games so far. In theory, we have lost possibly 4 points as a result of VAR against the mentally challengeds. We win some, we lose some.
"We win some, we lose some." Exactly the way it was pre-VAR, Stanley.

It has always been my problem with VAR is that it is rubbish for fans in the stadium. I’d be showing stuff on the big screens, even if it is after the decision has been made to at least let us know what has gone on.

I was in favour of this coming in but I’m slowly coming to the end of my tether with it.

That first half yesterday was an absolute farce. Never seen a game as stop start as that. Sat there with no clue what’s going on half the time.

Turning into a game of American football.
Should have been longer than 8 mins added on. I’d need to back and watch the game again but the ridiculous time it took for the penalty claim in the first minute took nearly three minutes and you only had to see it once to see it was never a penalty in a million years.

Back