What can be done about the appalling standard of referees in Scotland?

Our refs not being professionals doesn’t help.

I was thinking we should go along a British route for refereee training. There should be a main hub where all the refs get trained to the same standards and then games get shared out. The best refs do the EPL/ Scottish Prem, then the next tier do the EFL/ Lower Scottish games. Something like that.

Of course none of the current Scottish refs are good enough to do EPL matches, but over time you’d see some making it.

I don’t know if UEFA/FIFA would block that due to it being different FA’s but surely it’s something that can be looked at.

Sylla for Dundee got away with murder last night.

If that’s one of our players, say Jack or Lundstram they are booked immediately.

We are 100% reffed differently.
Yet we still have Rangers fans who insist it's not cheating or bias.and it's " honest mistakes" made by the same officials week in week out coincidentally 90% of the same mistakes working against us.. Invariably in a game ,particularly a physical encounter, a blue jersey will get booked first , regardless of what's gone on before.with the opposing side. It appears any other team playing against us are allowed to foul 5/6 times before they've even spoken to, whereas our players are in the book in half that time. This has been the case for the whole of the time I've followed our club.over 40 years.

It shows you the level of thinking when the solution to failure is appointing someone who has been at the core of it.

Will never change. The refs dept is a closed shop and criticism is forbidden by the highest order. Ala 1984 Ingsoc style.

They are not full time and it is therefore not an individual refs priority.

Why would a referee need to be full time ?

Players yes because they work on tactics, set pieces etc.

Once you know the rules you know the rules, all you have to do is keep yourself physically fit which is perfectly achievable whilst holding down a full time job. Junior players manage it perfectly well.

Referees get paid handsomely for what they do, if they are not providing an adequate service they should be demoted.

I am not on defending refs but it is a hard job and you make some good points but I don't think it is helped when pundits don't know the rules so throw a hissy fit when things happen that they don't think should happen and are refs not allowed to make mistakes? they are human players make mistakes all the time.
It is a hard job but not only the pundits come away with rubbish and they don't know the Laws of the game. Rogers, Kettlewell, Naismith and whoever manages Aberdeen this week.

It shows you the level of thinking when the solution to failure is appointing someone who has been at the core of it.
Its probably more about the SFA not wanting an outsider to have a look under the bonnet.

Imagine the PGMOL/English guy got the job and then came out and told us just how bad things were. What do you think the reaction would be from our media?

Why is the standard so bad, we have out and out cheats;

Clancy, Collum, Robertson and Walsh.

Beaton and McLean who are scared to give us a decision.

Alan Muir is a balloon, Greg Aitken a bumbling buffoon.

Upcoming referees Dickinson, McDermid shouldn’t even be doing schoolboy games, they have no authority on the pitch and have to have VAR as a comfort blanket, both are absolutely clueless.

In the main they are all effectively letting VAR do their job, and not a very good one at that. I’ve hardly watched a game this season that hasn’t been a comedy of errors some more costly than others. In every other walk of life if you aren’t capable of doing your job you get moved on. Sad part in Scotland I see nothing to suggest we are trying to improve.
Clearly they think appointing the referee that's had most complaints about him as the head is the way forward.

Why would a referee need to be full time ?

Players yes because they work on tactics, set pieces etc.

Once you know the rules you know the rules, all you have to do is keep yourself physically fit which is perfectly achievable whilst holding down a full time job. Junior players manage it perfectly well.

Referees get paid handsomely for what they do, if they are not providing an adequate service they should be demoted.
Sorry but that's nonsense. Thats like saying why should a footballer be full time?

Rules change all the time, VAR communication needs improved, and all incidents that were controversial over the weekend should be reviewed to enhance consistency and continuity. That can't be done when on a Monday morning every single Scottish official is going back to the law office, school, GP surgery etc.

Their attention during the week is elsewhere, rather on reflecting and reviewing their own performance on an ongoing basis, like any other job basically.

Professionalism in any job improves standards exponentially.

Theres a reason why they are full time in England and other leagues.

Only way tom improve refereeing is to make the reasons for decisions public, with after game interviews and VAR communication public. neither have a chance of becoming fact as separate entity and their placement continue to drag Scottish football down.

Oh for a proper media who actually investigated incompetence rather than celebrate it - a''holes.

Not every referee is a cheat mate. I'd say only 2 are.

The rest are feart to do their jobs. Being part time doesn't prevent you from booking a player whose been going around kicking everything in the opposing jersey, or seeing with your own eyes that a player had dived after multiple replays at the VAR screen. Or even awarding stonewall penalties that you've seen but are afraid to give due to a potential media backlash.

If anything, VAR has just made refs more scared to make decisions.

Stop hiring individuals who are patently not up to the job, and cannot handle the pressure from rhat hordes in the stands and in the mhedia.

Why is the standard so bad, we have out and out cheats;

Clancy, Collum, Robertson and Walsh.

Beaton and McLean who are scared to give us a decision.

Alan Muir is a balloon, Greg Aitken a bumbling buffoon.

Upcoming referees Dickinson, McDermid shouldn’t even be doing schoolboy games, they have no authority on the pitch and have to have VAR as a comfort blanket, both are absolutely clueless.

In the main they are all effectively letting VAR do their job, and not a very good one at that. I’ve hardly watched a game this season that hasn’t been a comedy of errors some more costly than others. In every other walk of life if you aren’t capable of doing your job you get moved on. Sad part in Scotland I see nothing to suggest we are trying to improve.
As in all professions, you can't fix a problem until you admit there is a problem.
The SFA and the SPFL will never admit to having a problem, ever.

Its probably more about the SFA not wanting an outsider to have a look under the bonnet.

Imagine the PGMOL/English guy got the job and then came out and told us just how bad things were. What do you think the reaction would be from our media?
This 100% bang on the nail.

Does anyone seriously think Celtic are concerned about the standard of Scottish referees - other than the rare occasions when they veer off-script?

If anything, VAR has just made refs more scared to make decisions.
I don't think that's the case mate. Or at least I didn't.

The penalty to Rangers narrative has probably been more successful than we realise.

What will be telling will be how things go next season.

I don't think that's the case mate. Or at least I didn't.

The penalty to Rangers narrative has probably been more successful than we realise.

What will be telling will be how things go next season.

The relentless media pressure on refs to give a penalty against us was embarrassing, mate, resulting in both the laughable Killie awards, both at Rugby Park and Ibrox. They were scared not to award them to Killie.

We should have had 2 last night. The ref shat it again.

Any referee outside the 4 cheats knows that if they give a decision against septic that septic don't like then that referee will be absolutely slaughtered by the press and media for at least the next week. Now if the same referee gives a decision against Rangers that Rangers don't like well that decision is forgotten twenty minutes after the game has finished. I'm old enough to remember the absolute rockets we have had to endure refereeing the Rangers over the last half century. But without a shadow of a doubt nothing compares to this lot.

We’ve got an entire crop of officials that over the last 12 years have been moulded into thinking that only the mentally challengeds must be successful, and anything else will have repercussions.

Happy mentally challengeds = happy life for officials and Scottish football.

How we break that at this stage I don’t know.

The relentless media pressure on refs to give a penalty against us was embarrassing, mate, resulting in both the laughable Killie awards, both at Rugby Park and Ibrox. They were scared not to award them to Killie.

We should have had 2 last night. The ref shat it again.
Even our penalty stats that only 3 had been given in real time and the rest by VAR is very concerning.

If you scrap VAR then we don't get those decisions. I think the SFA do need to hire more permanent VAR officials and stop the rotation with on field officials. But given today's news I don't know if I'd trust them.

Even our penalty stats that only 3 had been given in real time and the rest by VAR is very concerning.

If you scrap VAR then we don't get those decisions. I think the SFA do need to hire more permanent VAR officials and stop the rotation with on field officials. But given today's news I don't know if I'd trust them.

VAR can only work in Scotland if English or foreign refs take charge.

It cannot be left to Clancy, Robertson, Walsh, etc, with Collum as their support act.

We’ve got an entire crop of officials that over the last 12 years have been moulded into thinking that only the mentally challengeds must be successful, and anything else will have repercussions.

Happy mentally challengeds = happy life for officials and Scottish football.

How we break that at this stage I don’t know.

The peasants broke the refs with intimidation, which caused a ref strike, and the SFA refused to support their refs. It was shameful. They then took control of both the SFA and SPFL with placemen everywhere. We're now seeing the fruits of that gangsterism, resulting in open cheating refs or their terrified counterparts.

Scottish football needs gutted from top to bottom.

I am not on defending refs but it is a hard job and you make some good points but I don't think it is helped when pundits don't know the rules so throw a hissy fit when things happen that they don't think should happen and are refs not allowed to make mistakes? they are human players make mistakes all the time.

I disagree with you. You are defending the refs.

Refereeing shouldn't be a hard job if you apply the rules fairly and squarely.

When you are prepared to waive the rules, because you are a 'shettleston', or a scared so called mythical 'Mason', then you are a cheat plain and simple.

Just look at Cylla last night. There is now way he is getting that leeway in a Rangers top.

So is that the ref being constantly human? Or is there something more at work?

I disagree with you. You are defending the refs.

Refereeing shouldn't be a hard job if you apply the rules fairly and squarely.

When you are prepared to waive the rules, because you are a 'shettleston', or a scared so called mythical 'Mason', then you are a cheat plain and simple.

Just look at Cylla last night. There is now way he is getting that leeway in a Rangers top.

So is that the ref being constantly human? Or is there something more at work?

Sylla kicked anything in a blue shirt last night, at least 4 poor challenges on Cantwell alone.

Even his team-mates were telling him to cool it, and not the ref.

Ask for protection continually, after all it's the referee's job . To much rough house bs tactics are let go . No matter if you win or lose this should be the message over and over.

When refereeing is just a well-paid 2nd job, there’s no necessity to improve and encourage the authorities to do likewise.

I wonder if any Scottish referee is disappointed not to be going to the Euros, for example.

The sad fact is that referees are fine as long as one club is winning. Referees seem to agree.

When refereeing is just a well-paid 2nd job, there’s no necessity to improve and encourage the authorities to do likewise.

I wonder if any Scottish referee is disappointed not to be going to the Euros, for example.

The sad fact is that referees are fine as long as one club is winning. Referees seem to agree.

I think Scottish refs are just happy to be involved in football.

They don't want the media hassle of big decisions against Celtc, so act accordingly.

Sadly they have Scottish football sewn up. Their placemen are everywhere. I'm not sure where we go from here.
Absolutely one of the lads on my RSC has a relative who works for UEFA and was with the SFA. He was saying last night that from top to bottom it’s nearly all t*ms. So we have zero chance unless we use legislation on health and safety and box clever.

Sorry but that's nonsense. Thats like saying why should a footballer be full time?

Rules change all the time, VAR communication needs improved, and all incidents that were controversial over the weekend should be reviewed to enhance consistency and continuity. That can't be done when on a Monday morning every single Scottish official is going back to the law office, school, GP surgery etc.

Their attention during the week is elsewhere, rather on reflecting and reviewing their own performance on an ongoing basis, like any other job basically.

Professionalism in any job improves standards exponentially.

Theres a reason why they are full time in England and other leagues.
You dont seem to have worked out that they are cheating, that they are biased officials they dont care about integrity.

Mare money, or training, wont solve this problem.

They are going to keep cheating the club is it really going to be a shock to any fan of either club if the cup final is close and the decisions go their way for the 5th time this season ?

The difference in refereeing standards is there for all to see.

Therefore we have to call it out. Every time.

I've been repeatedly shot down on here for criticising our passivity to the clear cheating by refs.

Unless we have a clear strategy to finally address, then neutralise the ref issue, then we'll face the same end to next season as tonight.

Derek Mcinnes saying that Don Robertson admitted and apologised at half time that he should’ve stopped the game because he knew there was head knock before the opening goal for Celtic.

Nice to see they are comfortable enough to openly admit that they are ignoring obvious decisions if it doesn’t suit Celtic.

Derek Mcinnes saying that Don Robertson admitted and apologised at half time that he should’ve stopped the game because he knew there was head knock before the opening goal for Celtic.

Nice to see they are comfortable enough to openly admit that they are ignoring obvious decisions if it doesn’t suit Celtic.
VAR should have recommended he disallow the goal and go back and give the free kick to Kilmarnock - is that not how it works?

I've been repeatedly shot down on here for criticising our passivity to the clear cheating by refs.

Unless we have a clear strategy to finally address, then neutralise the ref issue, then we'll face the same end to next season as tonight.

Not by me you won't regards the refs.

I am the converted and have been saying the same for years. Decades actually.

It would appear we need someone of our ilk to win the double, triple, quadruple rollover in the Euros to come into the club and tell the board we'll put fifty mill into the club, but only on my terms.

And sticking up for us is part of the deal.

The game is actually fucked if that ref doesn't loose his job over that, it's blatant cheating and he's not even hiding it now.

Not by me you won't regards the refs.

I am the converted and have been saying the same for years. Decades actually.

It would appear we need someone of our ilk to win the double, triple, quadruple rollover in the Euros to come into the club and tell the board we'll put fifty mill into the club, but only on my terms.

And sticking up for us is part of the deal.

We've tried our best to build bridges, but the other clubs don't want to know.

We need to be selfish, ruthless bastards if we wish to get back on top.

Back