What needs to change at the club going forward to achieve consistent success? If anything.

What needs to change at the club going forward, for us to get consistent success?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
AllMy two bobs worth. I really think we as a fanbase, especially on here, overthink Scottish football. It's not the EPL with Pep, Klopp and the rest of them. It's our play each other 4 times a season, on not very good pitches, where 10 teams games against you are a cup final and you effectively need to be better than one main rival.

I listened to Boyd at half time saying Rangers need to be braver as there is a league title on the line. Boyd played in Rangers teams that won leagues so knows what it's all about. He's also a Rangers man himself, something severely lacking in our current squad.

Walter's teams always had a sprinkling of Rangers men or at least Scottish guys brought up playing Scottish football. That was offset by a few gems that could turn a game for you.

The foundations were always the same. A solid defence in front of a good keeper. Two midfield battlers with a playmaker. Good wide men and forwards that could stick the ball in the net.

Even in his second spell he stuck to the same set up. Remember when he returned he signed Weir and Ehiogu, shored up the defence. He won leagues with players like McCulloch and Broadfoot. Not world beaters by a long shot but they knew how to battle it out and win against the rest of the league. He brought back Miller who scored for fun.

I'll no doubt be accused of living in the past but honestly, has Scottish football changed a lot in 20 years, I really don't think it has. Guys like John Brown would run through a brick wall for Rangers but crucially they could handle the pressure of playing for Rangers. We don't have enough players of that ilk in the squad IMHO.
This is spot on.

We laud Walter as our greatest ever yet we've completely deviated from everything he did that made us successful.

It’s B. Our players are championship level plodders with little quality or the drive of elite athletes.

We need a few of those in the door and it’s not coming without some good funds.
B is the easy way out, but not realistic

The answer is a strong manager who can change the culture/belief in the players

We can bang on about them having more money, but the difference in quality in players between the two squads is small. And the difference been us than rest is significant

We lose/draw old firm games all the time.

If they can lose to killie, hearts and drop points against others, how come we can't lay a glove on them when it matters? We are far superior players to the rest of the league yet we all know we're getting rolled over in a few weeks before we've even kicked a ball

That's mentality, belief, tactics, culture... That's what has to change

Better utilisation of transfer budgets rather than having a bigger one to spend.

Too much money has been wasted on rubbish and that includes contracts.

That needs to start with better analysis of people who will fit in including talent and equally mentality to win and be resilient. Will that person adapt to the league here is a big question.

There also needs to be more emphasis on youth academy product. If players aren't good enough then why invest so much in the academy? Youth needs to be integrated a lot more in the team if the feeling is they could be good enough. They need to take those calculated risks of bringing them into games and by that I mean cup games and maybe some league games as required.

Have said this in other threads, stadium redevelopment and capacity increase is necessary to push us to the next level, increase our financial advantage, fix all of the lingering issues we have with facilities, basically to make us ready for the rest of this century. This will come at a cost but in the 30-40 year term it will restore dominance.

Financially, a broken (was it ever working to begin with?) "player trading model" which only works when you find the odd diamond and when your team is winning trophies is not going to be reliable enough.

I would not turn my nose up at investment from "non-Rangers men" if it helped us achieve regular success and improvement of the entire business as well as the quality of player we clearly don't have at this point in time.
This it total nonsense.

Recruitment. We need to spend what money we have a whole lot better. We have wasted millions on fees and wages on absolute dross.

For me it’s simple

Better recruitment. No more Wrights, Davies etc or guys over the hill and past it

Sign younger, hungrier players with a point to prove and not focus solely on the English championship market

It's better scouting and recruitment. We've spent about £30m on transfer fees in the last 2 summers.

Fed up saying it, but the filth built an entirely new squad for just over £20m and won the league.

So the money we're spending is enough, it's fine. Here's our problem in a nutshell:

- O'Riley and Hatate cost them less than £1.5m a pop. Kyogo was £4.5m. That's £7.5m for arguably the 3 best players in their team. I appreciate that's selective, but it's a midfield that runs over the top of ours, and a striker who's scored 12 goals against us.

- We spent £13m on Dessers, Lammers and Danillo.

Let's see what Kloppen and Phil can do in the summer. I'm assuming they'll have a similar amount again to spend.

Last edited:
For me its 2 fold.

A functioning player trading model. That should bring in increased revenues and show players the platform Rangers can be.

The second thing is leadership, I don't mean manager, board etc, I mean dressing room. People speak about 9iar team and how money was spent extensively, whilst it was, it was done so on a bedrock of winners. Butcher, Gough, McCall, McCoist, Fergie, Goram, neither of them broke the bank but they were leaders and winners.

I believe there is leaders in the squad, but their influence is being dulled by the wrong type of leaders. This current dressing leadership hierarchy needs ripped to bits.

When we spend the most money, we more often than not win the league. When we spend the second most money, we more often than not come second.

That’s football.

If so, then what needs to change?
Otherwise it will be the equivalent of “Groundhog Day” season after season.

Firstly I’d say we need a strong chairman who’ll defend the club and supporters and not turn a blind eye to the endless anti Rangers propaganda. Even if we hadn’t collapsed this season the pressure placed on referees in the run in would have resulted in all major decisions going in favour of the yahoos. We’ve scored four questionable disallowed goals against them in five consecutive games and said absolutely nothing about it. That wouldn’t happen on the other side of the city.

Secondly we need a board who actually knows how to run a club properly our wage bill is absolutely ridiculous for what’s being served up and is completely unsustainable.

Ibrox capacity should have been increased as well to around 5-6k more years ago instead tens of millions have been thrown down the drain on poor managers/players/legal nonsense.

Lastly I’d put a fan on the board nominated by the supporters in general.

The most successful clubs these days are the one’s who tend to be run well Rangers haven’t been in that category for well over 20 years now.

Recruitment. The be all and end all. And in our local market. And by the fans demanding shite unknown names rather than local talent. We need a blend. Walter’s roadmap is still obvious.

For a Danilo we could have bought both Lewis Ferguson and shankland. It goes on.

Recruitment has been an utter mess since Gerrard left, a catastrophic mess that’s wasted over £30m squid at least. Never mind the wages.

It’s not rocket since.

Yilmaz £4m injury prone can’t attack or cross full back.
Matondo £2m mental wages can’t control a football or pass.
Dessers £3m can’t score scores or hold play.
Danilo £6m, Jesus, missed sitters same as above
£4m Davies, weak and can’t head a ball.
And on and on and on.

we do have a culture of 2nd place with a European run is acceptable, And it’s with some fans, core of our side, possibly even more business orientated board members.

Winning the league should be no1 priority every single season! Right backs scoring 20plus Goals or championship midfielders being the best on earth is good for a moment but in the grand scheme of things we’re 2nd place and 2nd best!

Voted E. Investment is the crux of the solution, but remember: even if we had a blank cheque, we couldn’t spend it. FFP hinders us from simply spending untold sums to overhaul the squad. Our negative retained earnings over the last 5 years are killing our ability to grow. Because of this, supporter expectations do need to adapt. Not change - we must always retain our winning mentality, but we do need to get real with the fact that we are still a long way off where we once were. I believe the board are aware of both these facets, time will tell if Bisgrove and Bennet are the men to lead us back to the top.

We're spending about as much as Celtic on wages, badly, and we've had terrible recruitment for a few years. This summer a lot of extra money should be freed up by players leaving, which we can reinvest in a more positive fashion. We've addressed that with a new Director of Football and should at least hope that he has a window or two to demonstrate if he can get things right. We've won one out of three trophies still available to us, we're in contention for the other two despite a dramatic drop in form. The only reason we're in contention for the league is Celtic went through a similar dramatic drop in form. In short we're doing about as expected but the last decade has completely ruined some of you who see catastrophe at every turn. A bit like Celtic fans after the 90s.

we do have a culture of 2nd place with a European run is acceptable, And it’s with some fans, core of our side, possibly even more business orientated board members.

Winning the league should be no1 priority every single season! Right backs scoring 20plus Goals or championship midfielders being the best on earth is good for a moment but in the grand scheme of things we’re 2nd place and 2nd best!
I think our European runs and their lack of is the real difference to be honest.

Celtic were outspending us from McLeish onwards.
Eck had to basically break up a treble winning rangers team and then he resembles a title winning rangers team with a fraction of the budget of previous managers.Walter in his last spell and in particular his last season couldn’t attempt to sign a player without the say so the bank running rangers.

The decision to appoint Michael Beale and to allow him to spend so much on new players is one that will probably set the club back years.
It's the fact that it was players that armchair fans could do some research on and find out they weren't very good from their stats and watching them a wee bit. Mind boggling.

We need a clear out of players who have consistently failed us and a fresh start.

I know this takes money but fat Ange came in and had a philosophy which worked a treat for them even the we laughed at his “we never stop” comments.

They brought in players like Carter Vickers, Jota, Maeda on loan who went straight into there starting 11 and spent about £8-9m in total on juranovic, Giakoumakis, O’riley and Hatate.

They 4 permanent signings alone will likely bring them in £40m in total when all sold which is a great trading model that we just can’t seem to master outwith the odd one like Bassey, Aribo.

As another poster said previously things can change quickly in Scotland and we need to hope we can have a similar transfer window to that even if that means selling a few of the players we’d rather keep if there isn’t £10-15m of funds available.

Last edited:
Said this months ago and got shot down ,until the club rids it's self of Bisgrove and employees experience and winners then nothing will change .
Sorry but the managers have been backed. Bisgrove doesn’t sign the players

If we had a winning team on the park, there would be very little noise about anything off field

Starts at the top for me. You can't argue that the board put their hand in their pockets but some of the decision making has been questionable at best and borderline negligence at worst.

The people club were far too pleased with themselves after 55 and grew complacent. Signings, contracts, adding value to the squad all went south as they dined out on that 2020/21 season. Recruitment was a mess even though Bennett was telling us it was our best squad in years because Connor Goldson told him so. Players were allowd to run down their deals. Players past it or who had checked out were kept too long. Average players with little re sale value were being handed out unshiftable contracts like sweeties. Absolute power was handed to a rookie manager who then crashed and burned. Since Gerrard left it has been bad decision after bad decision.

Even this season I still find it terrifying they were going to chuck Lampard at us until the blowback saw some sort of reality hit them.

The proof will be this summer when we see what the changes to recruitment and our approach to contracts will bring. We either get this right finally or we're going to be playing catch up for a very long time.

Recruitment, they have signed Hatate, Kyogo and O’Reilly for considerably less than we paid for Matondo, Dessers and Lammers and wouldn’t be surprised if their wages were a lot less as well. At least initially.

We have simples squandered way too much cash.

The bottom line is that we need to be better than the tims over the course of a season, so how do we do that?

- right management team
- Good level of investment in playing squad
- Effective recruitment.
- Getting the right level of academy players into the 1st team.

In order for those 4 things to happen a lot of other things need to line up in the background. The board is responsible for ensuring those things line up, do we have the right board in place?

if we get those 4 things correct we have a chance of winning things regularly. The tims can out spend us so we need to be really clever when it comes to recruitment. Our reluctance to recruit locally is one of our major flaws. There is talent in scotland but we always seem to be seduced by the overseas market which has hurt us recently.

Bringing in a Manager after the season has started, is always going to see him punching with one hand tied behind his back.

PC needs a summer window, but if the players he signs succumbs to injuries at the start. We will fall away and the fans will be calling for heads. Same thing happend with GVB and MB. Although the later was an inexcusable appointment.

With the resources and calibre of manager we can bring to the club. It's not unthinkable that a good summer of recruitment and we win the league first time if asking. The gravy guzzler managed it and left with a trophy haul we can only dream of. And he came from Japan via Australia.

We do have 6 or 7 good young players and we need to have a clear out of most of the rest even if it means paying up wages or telling them they will never again be in the first team squad.
CP needs better coaching staff. We dont even know that inswing corners get goals and when defending corners you face out from the goal line to meet the ball and have one on the line at one corner of the goal.
Our board does not sign players but finds the cash to buy them and they need to find more investment from outside the club.
Hate to say it but we need a big fat Ange type to get the intesity and guts from a team playing fast attacking football and no reason why CP can not do that with some help from a good assistant.

Fortunes turn quickly in Football, especially up here. We need a complete rebuild in the summer, but with the right recruitment and the right manager there's no reason why we can't be immediately successful.

Explain how quickly our fortunes have changed up here since coming back in 2016?

Because I don't see any change.

If you want to talk about 55 and Seville, fill your boots. Two separate oasis, in a desert of ongoing mediocrity.

We need wholesale changes. A new defence with people who can actually defend. A midfield with pace, drive, craft and guile and can add in with goals.

Strikers who can put the ball in the pokey more often than not.

However, you don't get Champagne on a beer budget.

It’s a change of mindset from the top down.

A board who understood what it takes would have us with Lewis Ferguson in midfield and Shankland up front instead of the wage thieves we have now.
You make a good point re mindset but Lewis Ferguson has absolutely blossomed in Italy.

Big clubs in Scotland tend not to do that with home grown players. He would not be at the level he is now if he has signed for Rangers or Celtic.

I think Celtic fans in general will be more satisfied with the last 5 years than what we are
They've settled for European mediocrity with domestic success like we did in the 90s.

Both clubs should be more ambitious and demanding in Europe, but both fall into the trap of ignoring how shite they are in the grand scheme of things if you can lord it over the other.

Two bald men fighting over a comb or being the bigger midget shouldn't be as lorded as it is.

They've settled for European mediocrity with domestic success like we did in the 90s.

Both clubs should be more ambitious and demanding in Europe, but both fall into the trap of ignoring how shite they are in the grand scheme of things if you can lord it over the other.

Two bald men fighting over a comb or being the bigger midget.

I cannot comprehend why are you bringing the filth into this debate?

I was certain that the leading option would be something along the lines of "Clear out the senior players"

I've never known a club where the attitude/mentality/mindset of the senior players is so unbelievably bad and sets the tone for annual failure.

We'll win nothing of note with the Tav/Goldson/Lundstram group still existing at the club.

Back