What next for Dessers?

Dessers: Keep or Sell?

• Total voters
Old cliche but some foreign players take half/full season to get acclimatised, there is a good chance he is better next season, worth keeping around imo.

Unless we get north of 6m then id keep him. But, if we get that type of fee then id sell. We need to adopt the player trading model where possible
To have a player trading model you need to have people of worth, a PTM doesn’t mean you hold onto every player unless you double your money, it means you are willing to sell your most valuable assets at the right price and reinvest. If he’s not good enough then he willl never command £6m, he’s not good enough. Cut losses, I’d take £3-£3.5m.

Sell.

Hopefully with the goals we will get nearly all our money back (potentially more).

His overall play is a hinderance & kills us against better opposition because he can't hold it up, be an out ball or link the play.

You could argue he would be OK as a back up. However I'd bet he is the kind of player who is very rusty without playing regularly. I'd also much rather our 2nd choice is a younger player developing or has a particularly skillset which is a diff option to the 1st choice (e.g pacey or good in the air etc)

Scores, but not the big goals. Quantity over quality for me. Keep as a part of the squad along with Danilo, but we need a new main man.
Does vital goals in Europe, scores winning and equalising goals in domestic games and scores the only goals in a domestic cup semi final…I’d say they are big goals.

For me, I would absolutely be keeping him. Only fit striker for the season, started the season no where near fit due to not having recovered from injury last season but didn’t complain, played himself into fitness, could have got “injured” after constantly getting booed by the fans, yet regardless of how well or poor he plays he never hides. On top of that, when most people want him gone he goes on to score 22 goals and a fair few assists. Exactly the type of player I want in a squad when most of this squad have consistently went into their shell at any hint of pressure over the past few seasons.

I find it strange that a common opinion of Ally himself was that he'd miss many sitters but he inevitably popped up with a goal.

It would appear Dessers will never be afforded this leeway from our support.

I'm in no way comparing him to Ally ability wise, but he deserves more backing imo.
We've certainly had far, far worse.
But you are spot on! It's an entitlement mind set that often drags out the comment not good enough for us but he is, never hides he is good at holding up and laying off, has some good skill and he is scoring goals!

Thought it odd someone says he doesn't score big goals? %^*& knows what they mean by that?

Old cliche but some foreign players take half/full season to get acclimatised, there is a good chance he is better next season, worth keeping around imo.
Settling in won’t improve his first touch, speed, aggression or instil that killer shoot on sight instinct.

Can’t fault the effort and is always available and seems like he’s mentally strong (to keep going while facing the criticism he takes) - if we paid £1m for him and he was on £8k / week is say we persevere but he didn’t cost that, shankland would be better.

Scores, but not the big goals. Quantity over quality for me. Keep as a part of the squad along with Danilo, but we need a new main man.
Like when you're 2-0 down and trying to get back into the game at the piggery?

Also:
Scored in one CL Qualifier round and had 1 good and 1 world class assist vs PSV
Scored away to Betis in a must win group stage game
Scored 2 goals in the Scottish cup semi final
6 of his 16 league goals against the top 6 teams (40% of his goals are against the top 45% of the other 11 clubs)

Wish folk would stop trying so hard to talk the guy down. He's done his job this season despite everything else.

But you are spot on! It's an entitlement mind set that often drags out the comment not good enough for us but he is, never hides he is good at holding up and laying off, has some good skill and he is scoring goals!

Thought it odd someone says he doesn't score big goals? %^*& knows what they mean by that?
He is terrible at hold up play and laying off, as for skill, don’t think I’ve ever seen him do a trick to get buy a player? Doesn’t shoot on sight, misses easy chances, the list goes on, yes he has qualities you can appreciate but I’d say the clamour to keep, rather than entitlement, shows how conditioned our support has become to accept mediocrity when it comes to recruitment

He is terrible at hold up play and laying off, as for skill, don’t think I’ve ever seen him do a trick to get buy a player?
What about when he sent 2 Betis defenders to the stands for a hot dog and nutmegged the keeper?

His finish against Hibs at home when he wrongfooted their defence, keeper and half the stadium to roll it into the corner, or away at Hibs when he did it but a "reverse pass" into the net?

The pace, touch and composure to get behind St Mirren defence, round the keeper and finish a couple of weeks ago?

Nobody is claiming he's Brian Laudrup but he's nowhere near as bad as you're making out.

He is terrible at hold up play and laying off, as for skill, don’t think I’ve ever seen him do a trick to get buy a player? Doesn’t shoot on sight, misses easy chances, the list goes on, yes he has qualities you can appreciate but I’d say the clamour to keep, rather than entitlement, shows how conditioned our support has become to accept mediocrity when it comes to recruitment
We accept what we can afford perhaps if you have deep pockets maybe you can get these quality players that we all want in! He is good at holding up and laying off when the support is there!

I really do like him as a player and have been consistent in saying that there was a player in there even when he initially struggled but I'd sell if we could generate a good fee. For a guy that seems to hate shooting, he has scored some amount of goals and has IMO shown he has the mentality required to do well here.

If money was no object, I'd love to have him as second choice behind another striker but not sure that's what we want to be spending a significant wage on in our situation.

If Dessers was our designated penalty taker instead of Tav he would probably be on nearly 30 goals for the season. He would be well ahead of Shankland in the top scorer table.

He probably would have won player of the season etc.
He wouldn't win POTY even if he hit 30 goals without penalties given even some of our own fans are desperate to slaughter him at every opportunity. The whole narrative around him is miles away from the reality of what he has contributed this season IMO.

He’s not worth the £27k per week we are paying him, and at his age he will only get worse.

Take whatever offer we get for him and move him on. He will never be good enough and his value will never be as high as it is right now.

Rangers fans ‘Morelos can GTF, doesn’t score enough goals, we need a 20+ goals a season man’

Also Rangers fans ‘Dessers can GTF, 22 goals isn’t enough!’

Said it on another thread, Cyriel Dessers isn’t the problem at Rangers

The man can hold his head high with his contribution in his first season here regardless of how frustrating he can be at times

Attitude and mental strength is also top drawer, well done big man give us a huge 23rd next week!

Agreed, Danilo had a terrible period before the injury which people seem to have forgotten.

I'm actually much more worried about him than Dessers. Worst case with Dessers, we'll get a decent fee. If Danilo comes back less effective after a serious injury, that could be a big issue. Hopefully he recovers fully and kicks on but let's not pretend he was brilliant pr
Danilo scored 4 goals in 12 games in the league before he got injured. This isn't stunning but isn't dreadful either. It is also around the same ration that Kyogo has managed for Celtic this season (13 in 36 games for him). He was also playing for the most part under Beale and lets not forget that Desser's goal scoring record improved significantly after Beale got the bullet. In short maybe give him a chance to show what he is capable of under a decent manager.

On paper, I’d happily keep Dessers as a backup striker to a new number 9 (not fucking Shankland).

But financially, he will be one of our highest earners and we can’t be spending 30-40k a week on someone who is backup. So sell if the money is right.

I've taken a lot of stick this season from friends and even family for sticking up for Dessers by claiming that I believe "there's a player in there" only for him to miss a couple of absolute sitters which results in me getting pelters, then he scores a really important goal that he had no right to and I'm back on top on the bragging rights again.
I like the guy and I'm going to confidently predict he'll score the winning goal in the Scottish Cup Final......there, I've said it!
;) ;)

If he could just learn to take his chances first time,he could be a very important part for us going forward.

We saw the good and bad of his game tonight. Gets into great positions, gets several chances, works very hard, scored a good goal and missed easier chances.

He also wasted some promising moves with terrible link up play and lay offs, and despite his work rate, he doesn't press properly and it ruins the team press as he just chases the ball leaving easy passing options.

I like him attitude and would happily see him kept in the squad as 2nd choice, but if we could get our money back I'd move him on

We may as well keep him as we ain't getting our cash back on him.

He had the right attitude and work rate and has a decent number of goals.

I think we need a more aggressive and clinical striker. Would also help though if more quality from the midfield and supporting forwards in wider areas.

If he had come in the January window and did what he’s done January until now he’d be amongst our greatest ever signings. Unfortunately his August to December spell DID happen with us so we do know what he can be capable of from both the positives and the negatives. For what it’s worth I think he’s a better player than Colak but not as good a striker, I think he’s a better mentality to Alfie but isn’t nearly as skilful a player. The fact he’s had 22 goals, and some moments of brilliance means we absolutely should not be making a loss on him. Would I start him as first choice number 9? I certainly have about another 8 positions I’d rather change than he so yeah he stays.

I'm amazed by the stat to be honest. The most goals per minute stat in the league? Does that make him a better player than Kyogo? Or Shankland or Miovksi?

As poor a Rangers side as this is, for everything that's wrong with it, and there's plenty, a good striker could have hid a multitude of sins.

There's only 6 points in the league. We've lost 3 old firm games by a single goal and drawn 1. Didn't score when we were held at Dundee, didn't score when Motherwell beat us at Ibrox. Passed up a million chances to put Ross County away before they beat us. Small margins. A decent striker could have made the difference. We don't have one.

Tonight was another Dessers masterclass. Touch like a priest, tripping over the ball, falling over, taking a touch when he should shoot, shooting when he should shoot, offering nothing, absolutely nothing outside the area, can't hold it, can't link play, just an absolutely woeful performance all round. But he scored, so job done, right?

Dessers goal per minute ratio this season in the league is now 1 per 138 minutes. Total goal contribution ratio? 1 in 116.

For contrast, last season,

Colak - goals 1 per 101 minutes, contributions 1 in 94.

Morelos - goals 1 per 146 minutes, contributions 1 in 100.

So there you have it. Dessers, who many are keen to keep, statistically less effective than both the strikers we had last season including an overweight, unfit Morelos who had basically chucked it.

Ironically, had we kept either Colak or Morelos and they'd been afforded the whopping 2215 minutes of league football Dessers has had, it could have provided another 6 or 7 league points.

Of course, his poorer goal contribution rate would be overlooked if he was a fundamental cog in the way we play but the opposite looks true, he's more of a hindrance.

Bin him, he's not good enough.

Would keep as a squad player if no one comes in for him and only sell for a profit or break even.

If he had come in the January window and did what he’s done January until now he’d be amongst our greatest ever signings. Unfortunately his August to December spell DID happen with us so we do know what he can be capable of from both the positives and the negatives. For what it’s worth I think he’s a better player than Colak but not as good a striker, I think he’s a better mentality to Alfie but isn’t nearly as skilful a player. The fact he’s had 22 goals, and some moments of brilliance means we absolutely should not be making a loss on him. Would I start him as first choice number 9? I certainly have about another 8 positions I’d rather change than he so yeah he stays.
Obviously you've totally blanked out the 9 games prior to the Hearts semi final when he managed 1 goal in 9 games as our season crumbled.

I don't blame you, it was torture.

Obviously you've totally blanked out the 9 games prior to the Hearts semi final when he managed 1 goal in 9 games as our season crumbled.

I don't blame you, it was torture.
No I’ve sadly not, nor his shocking misses against Motherwell. But if he just been in the door and settling then it could be excusable. The problem is he looks like a player still trying to settle in despite the fact he’s been here almost a year. My hope is he is slow at getting up to speed them goes on to be a sensation as his recent goal scoring shows. But I worry with the rest of the team who will provide the chances? Before tonight it’s been hoof the ball up the park from our back line.

No I’ve sadly not, nor his shocking misses against Motherwell. But if he just been in the door and settling then it could be excusable. The problem is he looks like a player still trying to settle in despite the fact he’s been here almost a year. My hope is he is slow at getting up to speed them goes on to be a sensation as his recent goal scoring shows. But I worry with the rest of the team who will provide the chances? Before tonight it’s been hoof the ball up the park from our back line.
He gets plenty of chances, if he was a decent finisher he'd be on about 35 goals.

And our style of play might improve if we get a striker that can actually participate in it. He's the focal point of the team and he's like a black hole of shite whenever the ball comes near him.

Just make him only be allowed 2 touches in training, until he learns to get his shot away. Then sell him for £20M at the end of next season.

To have a player trading model you need to have people of worth, a PTM doesn’t mean you hold onto every player unless you double your money, it means you are willing to sell your most valuable assets at the right price and reinvest. If he’s not good enough then he willl never command £6m, he’s not good enough. Cut losses, I’d take £3-£3.5m.
If someone gets us 6 million for Dessers than they should be awarded salesman of the year
Would never fault him for effort and attitude but come on, if our management had options, he wouldn't be first choice

The stats dont always paint the true picture of this guys efforts and skills, hes got the odd good goal but for the most part failed when it matters and for that reason we need to move him on , have a clean slate and bring in a quality striker.

If we can recoup our fee then we should jump at the chance.

Dessers has done okay though. The main problem has been not having someone else to score the goals when he doesn't.

I see Dessers now has the best goals per minute record in the league! It's easy to see his failings but at what point do we look at the numbers and admit he isn't the total flop some paint him as?

He’s been made the scapegoat for the season.

He’s earned his place in the squad make no mistake, but if we get an acceptable offer then he can leave. Same as all players.

I think we should keep him unless we get an offer we can’t turn down.

There’s definitely a player in there and if he could stay improve his finishing he’d be top scorer in the country.

He’d have had a hat trick last night had he not ballooned over from 3 yards and if he could learn to take the shot at goal a bit earlier.

I can’t remember another player like him.

22 goals for the season is the sort of numbers you want from our main striker, yet his clumsiness, indecisiveness and propensity for missing complete sitters (another last night) just can’t be ignored.

I don’t think he’ll be going anywhere, but we do need better.

Roofe leaving should free up the funds to bring in another striker who’ll hopefully turn out to be the pick of the bunch.

I think a bigger problem this season has been our no 10 (Cantwell or Lawrence) not scoring ~15 goals and 10+ assists. As has been said by others, Sima aside, we don’t get enough from elsewhere on the pitch. Perhaps why the spotlight is on Dessers despite his goal tally.
This ^^^
Apologies for the comparison but has scored and assisted the same amount has his equivalent across the city.
Difference is they have multiple players in their team chipping in with c 10 goals/assist where we only have Tav and Sima and Sima has been injured for most of the second half of the season.

Like Boyd, Cedric & Colak before him, we can’t have them lead the line at Rangers as our only No9.

Boyd - clinical finisher but couldn’t run, he didn’t play in Europe.
Cedric - for a big guy he wasn’t physical enough for the league.
Colak, clinical in the box but, as above plus couldn’t run.

Dessers - he can’t run, he isn’t physical, he doesn’t bring us forward by holding the play up, the ball will bounce off him 99% of the time. He’s negative to our way of play. But a goal return we wished Alfie would’ve replicated.

Like Walter said about Boyd, he’s an enigma, what to do with, I’m not sure. I wouldn’t miss him if he was to be sold.

We need clinical, physical, athletes throughout our squad going forward that’s for sure.

Dessers runs like hes just came off the waltzers, his conversion rate is poor
However 20goals in your first season is excellent, if we get an offer of say 8million I’d bite your hand off
But i genuinely think hes improving , well even if he’s playing poorly he’s always trying which is more than can be said for most the team

He's the first reliable striker (both in fitness terms and goals scored) we've had since Kenny Miller and while he can frustrate the life out of me at times, there's no arguing with his goals to minutes scored.

We also have to remember that he's done all this on the back of missing the majority of pre season training, due to his knee injury rehab last summer.
So I'd expect him to improve, with a full pre season training block in him.

I would definitely be keeping him, but I also expect us to sign someone that we'd look on as an upgrade.

For the number of games we play, we'll need Dessers, a new striker and also hope Danilo has a successful rehab.

Most players take a season to bed in and move their family over and get used to a new country.
I would say Dessers has done very well for his first season and will be better next season. Danilo will be first choice but I would keep

He’s not perfect but he’s ours and you can’t deny the lads honesty. If he could only learn to hit the ball first time. 22 goals is a pretty good return and let’s face it unlike many others he turns up for work.

I see Dessers now has the best goals per minute record in the league! It's easy to see his failings but at what point do we look at the numbers and admit he isn't the total flop some paint him as?

What does the future hold for him? Should we keep him? Get rid at all costs?

My feeling is he would actually be a good squad player, but not sure we can afford that scenario. The amount of goals he has now scored means we may actually get a pretty good bid for him, and the money might be better invested elsewhere. But I do have an admiration for the guy - after all the flak he just keeps coming back and scoring goals. Hope he signs off with a big goal in the final
See the chances he misses, most of them are because he gets himself into excellent positions. Not every striker we sign will. He's got excellent movement. The point I'm Making is people think if we get a better finisher than Dessers that we create so many chances that they'll get 40 odd goals. That's not necessarily true. 22 is really good and it's not that easy to just go and find another one who'll get himself into all those positions all the time. Not to mention all the hard work, all the running his team work and the fact that he actually cares. I'd absolutely keep him. He might also get even better in a better side and now that he's had time to settle.

Back