What next for Dessers?

Dessers: Keep or Sell?

• Total voters
I think we paid about £4m for Dessers so we wont be getting what we paid as he is 29. That being the case if we got £2.5m for him I would take it as it will also get him off the wage bill.

Reason being: he isn't good enough.

His hold up play is poor, he is terrible at pressing, has no pace and misses too many clear cut chances. To his credit he is good at being in the right postion to get those chances.

Next season he should not be our main striker. If he is we aren't winning the league. That being the case, with the wages he is on, he should be moved on.

Scores, but not the big goals. Quantity over quality for me. Keep as a part of the squad along with Danilo, but we need a new main man.
This is a good point. Not scoring in big games but you want quantity. This has been an issue for many years. If he had scored 10 goals and 4 of these were the winners over the scum, would you think any differently because, potentially, we would have won the league.

He’s slowly got better as the season has went on. He had a bad injury towards the end of last season and didn’t get a full pre season.

He’ll now get his rest and a full pre season under his belt, he also knows the league better and will hopefully play with better players next season.

Definitely a keep, him, Danilo and possibly Shankland as the three next season.
Shankland? Who's numbers have got steadily worse as the seasons has gone on?

No thanks.

Apart from Sunday John ?

One chance, one goal.

Ok I'll give you that.

Needs 5 or 6 chances to every game to score and even then sometimes doesn't apart from a game against Celtic on Saturday 11th May 2024 where he had one chance and scored it.

Did absolutely nothing else in that game though but if it makes you happy - I stand corrected.

I’d keep him, he’s a grafter and although he misses some sitters he can still put the ball away more than any number 9 we’ve had for a long time.
Is he a grafter? Doesn't work nearly hard enough for me. If he could add some work rate to his game and commit to pressing properly he'd be a much better player.

Ok I'll give you that.

Needs 5 or 6 chances to every game to score and even then sometimes doesn't apart from a game against Celtic on Saturday 11th May 2024 where he had one chance and scored it.

Did absolutely nothing else in that game though but if it makes you happy - I stand corrected.

I dont disagree with your frustration with him mate, and i wouldn't want us to rely on him as our main striker either.

I just feel we have been a bit harsh on the guy and one thing we can at least be happy on is his availability. Roofe & Danilo have missed so much of the season & we are at least lucky on that aspect of his game.

He's turned it round completely for me and if not for him we'd have collapsed even further. One of very few in the squad who have shown a winning attitude.

Keep him, competition will be healthy, but the jersey is his to lose now.

Agreed mate. People focus too much on the vast amount of misses.
It's like the titanic Everyone focuses on the iceberg and sinking but people forget about the thousands of miles of pleasurable cruising..
Th real %^*& up was letting Colak go as think he would have got 30 goals in his second season we can’t keep buying a striker give him a season and then punt them

The goal scoring stats for the Scottish Premiership are in the link below.

As you can see, Dessers is the 3rd top scorer in the league without scoring any league penalties. Despite this his goals per minute are better than Shankland and much better than Miovski. So why are some people on here desperate to replace him.
Because of his sitters missed and unwillingness to shoot at times.

Hes a likable guy but frustrating at times.

Because he's nearly 30, he's not a youngster.

I don't think that precludes him from learning to shoot slightly earlier. He's had one season in a new league and in an up and down team. He should be afforded the chance to continue to adapt and improve here. At least until we can guarantee a consistent number of goals from others in the team.

I don't think that precludes him from learning to shoot slightly earlier. He's had one season in a new league and in an up and down team. He should be afforded the chance to continue to adapt and improve here. At least until we can guarantee a consistent number of goals from others in the team.
Shooting earlier isn't going to guarantee you more goals.

Things like his link up play are quite frankly awful, that isn't going to change.

For the wage he'll be on and the money we could recoup for him, he has to go. More than happy for him to be back up if he's happy to take a pay cut.

We will have so many to replace going into next year, unless its for decent money to help the rebuild, then i dont see Dessers as one to jettison. I am a little bit surprised we havent announced any signings on precontract from academies down south - the last few years we have had Bassey & Sterling come in and do very well, its a good market, and a good pedigree of player

Gets far too much abuse and no credit for when he does play well. Must have the most goals in the league post Christmas. Been unlucky in a lot of the chances he has missed. Definitely a player id keep, his attitude is terrific. If he takes our penalties he scores at least 35 goals. Always was gonna be big shoes to fill, the next man to replace Morelos

Should have scored in both Parkhead games scored in one. Two goals wrongfully chopped off at Ibrox one he scored and one he assisted in OF Games. Betis. Over a dozen game winning or equalising goals in games we then went on to win.

Scoring plenty in an abysmal Rangers team that has had effectively no wingers for half the season and an imbalanced midfield who generally does little to create. Should be a no brainer but people refuse to admit they were wrong about him. Also has a great mentality to not down tools and chuck it after the abuse he got at the start of the season.

He averages a goal every 138 minutes in the league, and he's shown he is capable of scoring against any team in the league.

Some of his assists are excellent, and he's contributed when coming off the bench too.

For me, it's a no brainer. He's reaching his peak and is definitely good enough as a squad player. He has a great mentality too.

He's a real conundrum for me. Yes he has scored a lot of goals but he can also be a very frustrating player.

I'd be inclined to keep him unless we get an offer too good to turn down but we also need to sign another striker (or two).

If you sell youd make a loss then have to spend that money and more on a replacement. Doesnt seem like great business.

Hes hardly as bad as made out and his goal return is good. Among a stronger squad next season he would be useful.

Sell we should get most if not all of our money back, the guys attitude and work ethic cannot be questioned, he does have qualities but not a title winning main striker, would be a good No2 option but given his current wages and the funds we need to raise, has to be sold.

It all depends what plans the manager and Koppen have in terms of who comes in.

If he's competing with decent quality for a place in the team and not being relied on as our No1 or being played week in, week out he's more than earnt another year.

Shooting earlier isn't going to guarantee you more goals.

Things like his link up play are quite frankly awful, that isn't going to change.

For the wage he'll be on and the money we could recoup for him, he has to go. More than happy for him to be back up if he's happy to take a pay cut.

Broadly agree and we're between a rock and a hard place in terms of his place in the squad for next season. Big fee and undoubtedly big wages, he should be the main striker but we do need better in that role.

Other side of the coin is; he's currently our only consistent goalscorer and we can't afford to chuck those goals away at the moment, when we have such a big rebuild pending.

If the manager gets what he thinks is a suitable replacement in plus a better option and then he leaves, then I'd have no issue with that.

Might be a daft idea but why don't we keep the guy who has shown he can score goals, and work on his weaknesses to improve him further?
Coz it's easier and makes more sense to mindlessly abuse the guy and just decide he can't cut it

Dessers has earned his spot in the squad next season ( squad not starter ) , he has improved and scored the goals despite the criticism and our lack of creativity which is constantly ignored too

I'd take him in the squad next season for that reason alone ahead of mentally weak players like Cantwell , Lawrence silva etc

Dessers, Danilo & one summer signing would offer decent striking options for next season, although I'd also say you'd want the summer signing to come in and be number one I think.

Obviously everyone has his price, but I do also think there's genuinely a close to zero chance we sell him this summer. He's flawed, but has generally finished the season strongly and now falls into the same camp as Tavernier/Goldson etc. - for whatever his flaws, on an output basis (30 goals/assists this year) he is actually functioning, where there are several areas of this team that simply are not. Those areas of the team (midfield, looking at you!) will be prioritised come summer, and as a result I don't see us moving Dessers on unless we get a right good offer for him. I certainly don't think we'll be actively trying to move him on, but time will tell.

Hard to tell where we go. So frustrating watching him at times.
Can't fault his effort. Misses sitters. Always wants an extra touch....but he racks up goals. Get him on penalties as well.

We'd get our money back and them some as his record in scoring is not to be sniffed at.

I think we will keep him around for at least another season.

Is he a grafter? Doesn't work nearly hard enough for me. If he could add some work rate to his game and commit to pressing properly he'd be a much better player.
His workrate and effort is fine, it's just not always apparent as he doesn't have much pace.

Best goals to minutes ratio in the league, and that's including penalties which he doesn't take and artificially inflate stats for the likes of Shankland. Yes some of his misses are infuriating but at the same time some of his goals, nobody else would score.

22 goals now and counting, not bad considering the first half of the season he was clearly unfit and struggling to recover from injury and barely netted, not to mention it being under that clown Beale.

He's also now scored 8 goals, since Shankland last netted from open play and is the top scorer since we returned form the winter break.

Some people made their mind up early and are doubling down no matter what and even if he scores 2 good goals out of nothing in a game, they're raging about a miss and calling him our worst ever signing, it's so weird to see.

Was hearing he might score against shite teams but never against better teams, scores multiple important goals including the double against Hearts to get us to the final when nobody else stepped up, two critical goals against tough opponents to get us through in Europe and has netted twice against the filth (one wrongly ruled out).

Keep, I think he'll keep improving as he has been doing consistently.

Last edited:
Does vital goals in Europe, scores winning and equalising goals in domestic games and scores the only goals in a domestic cup semi final…I’d say they are big goals.

For me, I would absolutely be keeping him. Only fit striker for the season, started the season no where near fit due to not having recovered from injury last season but didn’t complain, played himself into fitness, could have got “injured” after constantly getting booed by the fans, yet regardless of how well or poor he plays he never hides. On top of that, when most people want him gone he goes on to score 22 goals and a fair few assists. Exactly the type of player I want in a squad when most of this squad have consistently went into their shell at any hint of pressure over the past few seasons.
Dessers mentality is being over looked by many. There is no denying that he misses some big chances but his availability and strength of character is exactly what's needed. Others would have folded and gone into their shell. He keeps coming back and putting himself in position to score.

Last night he scores to pull us level makes no fuss and gets back looking for another goal. Compare and contrast with Silva who was acting like a petulant child most of the game

He is someone we should keep around.

Realistically, he’s likely at his highest resale value now. It may not mean getting back all of our original outlay but it will be a good % of it. I also assume he’s on a decent wage.

But he has contributed. If only others had.

If we sell Dessers, we’ll need to sign 2 strikers cos there is no guarantee Danilo will come up to the mark. We can’t afford to sign 2 decent strikers as well as all the other replacement we need. So I’d keep Dessers for another season then keep or sell depending on how he’s performed.

He's the reason we're ahead of Hearts.

He's also the reason we're miles behind them.

We absolutely cannot go into next season with him near the top of the pecking order. And for what it's worth, I didn't see anything in Danilo either.

I think we paid about £4m for Dessers so we wont be getting what we paid as he is 29. That being the case if we got £2.5m for him I would take it as it will also get him off the wage bill.

Reason being: he isn't good enough.

His hold up play is poor, he is terrible at pressing, has no pace and misses too many clear cut chances. To his credit he is good at being in the right postion to get those chances.

Next season he should not be our main striker. If he is we aren't winning the league. That being the case, with the wages he is on, he should be moved on.
If his wages were reasonable then he is a good second striker I think to have

But it's the hold up play that's an issue never wins is fouls is offside more often than not

And take Ross County game at 1 - 0 he had Dinmore chance hit it first time is in the net and we go in at half time 2 up and different game and we don't lose it

There loads of misses like that through the season.
Though is numbers are good

I honestly don't get why so many people want to sell him. I'd rather keep one proven goalscoring entity at the club while this rebuild is going on. Danilo was just as inconsistent as Dessers at times and still has a lot to prove next season. With Sima not being guaranteed to sign for us next season. And the vast majority of the support wanting to get rid of Tavernier, we'd be taking a risk.

We'd be sending the bulk of our goals out of the door again this summer. Much like we did last summer by not signing Tillman, losing Morelos, selling Colak and Sakala. That didn't pan out that well for us, we struggled for goals, our attacking play was disjointed, and we missed a frustrating amount of chances. Some of that was tactical, but a lot of it was down to the fact we had three new strikers trying to find their feet at the club, at the same time.

Back