What next for Dessers?

Dessers: Keep or Sell?

• Total voters
Silva has been playing out of position for months. He was signed to be a striker and think he's only got a handful of appearances in that position due to a slew of injuries to our wide players.
He hasn't been a striker in his life. I want a striker who scores goals. He doesn't score goals frequently. He is also an embarrassing player with his theatrics.

Far too many people seem to make him the scapegoat for our failings when the real culprits are those defenders who make the same mistakes week in week out. The inability to stop crosses,clear corners and just marking opponents. Dessers scored a few missed a few but the habitual rubbish that have been there too long escape a lot of flak. Is it just me who thinks lundstrom got sent off deliberately because his face wasn't a face who gave a toss as he left the field. And he wasn't really missed second half.

He hasn't been a striker in his life. I want a striker who scores goals. He doesn't score goals frequently. He is also an embarrassing player with his theatrics.

Yes he has. He was a Striker at Porto before moving to Wolves. I also want that, but he's been played out of position. So we genuinely have no idea how well he would have done playing centrally, we seldom saw it.

I don't really care about theatrics. Part of the modern game. Cantwell does it too, and nobody has dug him out for it. I just want guys that want to win at all costs, purity and Corinthian spirit be damned.

I voted keep cause we can't get rid of EVERYONE.

He'd definitely be back up though.

Obviously if the offer is good enough then sell, as is the case with everyone.

Failed when it mattered? So do we discount the games where his goals have either put us level, in winning positions or won games? Dessers isn’t the problem. Dessers being our only attacking player contributing goals outside of sima is the problem.
The so called games you're counting are very few , 2 actually in the league and Real Betis.Outwith the lack of midfield , he's had opportunities and is frustrating , if you think he's Rangers quality, we have fallen aot further that I thought if this guy is acceptable, sell him and move on.

Keep, with better wide men he'll not spend the game ploughing a lone furrow. He is being asked to cover a lot of deficiency whilst being judged singularly on chances he misses.

We can’t afford to get rid of him… with Roofe, Lammers and presumably Sima leaving plus Danilo being unsellable due to injury and the high fee paid for him and Dessers they’ll both stay. We just need to hope that a few new faces around him will lead to 1) a higher goal tally which is asking a lot in itself and 2) more trophies

This feels very similar to the chat last summer about Colak and Sakala. All round game is ineffective or misses far too many chances, but goal return and stats were very decent.

Proof that even poor players can do alright in Scotland.

It’s a negative on the coaching team that he’s still trying to recreate that Betis goal consistently five months later on, it feels like he would have had about 35/40 this season if someone had just sat him down and told him to hit shots earlier.

I'd keep the big chap. Proved alot of haters wrong with his goal tally. He also finds the net no problem against the scum, still more to come. No Surrender

Proof that even poor players can do alright in Scotland.

It’s a negative on the coaching team that he’s still trying to recreate that Betis goal consistently five months later on, it feels like he would have had about 35/40 this season if someone had just sat him down and told him to hit shots earlier.

Like he did v ross County...

Voted to keep, realistically.

With the amount of business we’ll have to do in the summer, selling and replacing Dessers is down the list of priorities.

I thought he was excellent against Dundee and has improved a lot since the start of the season.

His hold up play and strength on the ball have improved massively if we could stop him from trying to walk the ball in the net we would have an excellent striker on our hands.

This is the thing with stats. If you have not watched our games and you look at his stats you will say this guy has had a great season. So, hopefully scouts are just looking at his stats and watching his goals and being lazy.

As he has been a complete enigma this season. One minute scores a great header, next minute misses and open goal from 2 yards out and puts it over the bar. Over scores a decent goal, then has a chance for another if he hits first time but seems to have some sort of issue where his brain tells him to faint and drop a shoulder to beat a man, but one man is not enough he will either try and beat another man or beat the same man again before taking a shot. By that time the chance is gone and he has fucked it.

I love his attitude and work ethic but if he shot first time for 60% of his chances we would've probably been celebrating a title on Tuesday night and not them.

We need to try and recoup at least 80% and upwards of our outlay for him.

Voted to keep, realistically.

With the amount of business we’ll have to do in the summer, selling and replacing Dessers is down the list of priorities.
It’s still business that needs done though, so if we have a chance to offload him now then we need to take it.

A nice guy with incredible mental strength, but he is nowhere near good enough to be playing in a successful Rangers team.

The so called games you're counting are very few , 2 actually in the league and Real Betis.Outwith the lack of midfield , he's had opportunities and is frustrating , if you think he's Rangers quality, we have fallen aot further that I thought if this guy is acceptable, sell him and move on.
Rangers 2 servette 1 scored the second goal

Rangers 2 Morton 1 scored the first and assisted second

Rangers 1 Motherwell 0 scored the only goal

Livingston 0 Rangers 2 scored the opener

Rangers 3 Dundee 1 scored the opener

Rangers 2 St Johnstone 0 scored the opener

St Mirren 0 Rangers 1 scored the only goal

Rangers 3 Ross County 1 he scored 2

Rangers 3 Hibernian 1 scored to make it 2-1

Rangers 2 hearts 0 scored both to put us into final

St Mirren 1 Rangers 2 scored to make it 2-1

Rangers 5 Dundee 2 scored the equaliser

But aye mate, very few….

What about when he sent 2 Betis defenders to the stands for a hot dog and nutmegged the keeper?

His finish against Hibs at home when he wrongfooted their defence, keeper and half the stadium to roll it into the corner, or away at Hibs when he did it but a "reverse pass" into the net?

The pace, touch and composure to get behind St Mirren defence, round the keeper and finish a couple of weeks ago?

Nobody is claiming he's Brian Laudrup but he's nowhere near as bad as you're making out.
Yes he can do all that but we need a penalty box striker poacher, which he is not

Unbelievable the amount of guys who want to keep him. Any striker playing the amount of games he has should score 20 goals when he’s pretty much been our only fit striker all season.

Dessers finishing cost us the League. He should have had 3 at Ross County but he’s just not good enough.

Last edited:
He was visibly down in the presser noted by fan media, noticed he appeared very glum doing the lap on Tuesday as well. Is he just disappointed not to win the league or has he been told he’s not in the plans?

I quite like Dessers. He seems to have the right attitude. After a dreadful start it would have been easy for him to retreat into his shell, but in fairness he’s stuck at it and come up with some big goals this season.

That said, for £4.5m I’m certain we could and should be getting a better quality of player. If we can get close to what we paid for him I’d be happy to see him moved on.

Last edited:
IMO You never know what you'll get in any game CD plays
If he's given the ball on a plate in a decent position, with the keeper to beat - he'll want three touches & an extra dribble - sometimes with himself
Other times he wins out in very difficult areas & finds bags of composure to slot home
The goals he scores are so erratic it's almost as if he scores them by accident

I said in another post I'm extremely grateful for all he's given us this season - without him we'd be a lot worse off
But relying on him to be consistent or to become anything resembling a decent footballer is sheer folly IMO

We've scraped through most of this season with more injured than fit
& all things considered - maybe it could be argued we've still made a decent fist of it
- but I can also argue that if Colak (for example) had stayed & remained fit we'd currently have a better goal difference total

He's far too much of a risk IMO & shouldn't be too difficult to replace / improve on

Unbelievable the amount of guys who want to keep him. Any striker playing the amount of games he has should score 20 goals when he’s pretty much been our only fit stinker all season.

Dessers finishing cost us the the League. He should have had 3 at Ross County but he’s just not good enough.
No it didn't.

If we can get our money back for him, sell him.

We can absolutely get a better player for the same money.

I’d keep him, he’s a grafter and although he misses some sitters he can still put the ball away more than any number 9 we’ve had for a long time.
His misses have been at crucial times the worst was allowing Johnson to catch him in the first OF game at the other teams place. All he needed to do was get his body between the mutant and the outcome would have been mutant off and a penalty to us. (Unless there was an offside 5 mins before!)

If we were offered good money for him, it's a no brainer for me.

More often than not it's one touch too many or just a little lack of composure. Then again, if he did have that he wouldn't be with us.

Why is it only us come away with this stuff?

Now, I couldn't tell you how many goals the little yellow submarine has scored for them this season, but I'll guarantee you not one yahoo will come out with he's too good for us and he really shouldn't be here.

He's probably on a par with Giakoumakis that they had, different profile, squad player to be an impact coming on or to mix it up in different types of games as a starter.
For us, no.9 and the attacks main and only focal point.
We need to do business in the Summer so we aren't reliant on 1 player who has such poor decision making on when to pull the trigger
Voted keep btw

I see Dessers now has the best goals per minute record in the league! It's easy to see his failings but at what point do we look at the numbers and admit he isn't the total flop some paint him as?

What does the future hold for him? Should we keep him? Get rid at all costs?

My feeling is he would actually be a good squad player, but not sure we can afford that scenario. The amount of goals he has now scored means we may actually get a pretty good bid for him, and the money might be better invested elsewhere. But I do have an admiration for the guy - after all the flak he just keeps coming back and scoring goals. Hope he signs off with a big goal in the final
Keep him , we wouldn't have even got this close to them without him . And he's scored against them . I'm backing him to win us the cup

With respect, solely laying the blame for us losing the league at the feet of Dessers is moronic.

We conceded THREE goals to Ross County in that game you're talking about.
Game would have been buried at half time, done, over.

Colak scored similar amount in 9 games less and he wasn’t good enough.

If you think Dessers is good enough for us shows how high our expectations have fell. Doesn’t hold ball up, doesn’t bully defences, takes to many touches. Not good enough and his career shows that.

Another Beale mistake.

Game would have been buried at half time, done, over.

Colak scored similar amount in 9 games less and he wasn’t good enough.

If you think Dessers is good enough for us shows how high our expectations have fell. Doesn’t hold ball up, doesn’t bully defences, takes to many touches. Not good enough and his career shows that.

Another Beale mistake.
Why are you putting words in my mouth? The only thing I have disputed is 'Dessers finishing cost us the league' because it's obviously a load of garbage. I never said he was good enough and I'd sell him in the summer.

I see Dessers now has the best goals per minute record in the league! It's easy to see his failings but at what point do we look at the numbers and admit he isn't the total flop some paint him as?

What does the future hold for him? Should we keep him? Get rid at all costs?

My feeling is he would actually be a good squad player, but not sure we can afford that scenario. The amount of goals he has now scored means we may actually get a pretty good bid for him, and the money might be better invested elsewhere. But I do have an admiration for the guy - after all the flak he just keeps coming back and scoring goals. Hope he signs off with a big goal in the final
I don't see him meeting Phil's view of a striker. Lacks mobility I think. All depends on someone wanting him.
He's been one of Beale's better signings (after an awful start).
Talking about this brings back that first game at Rugby Park all those months ago - what a shambles!

But aye mate, very few….
All well and good, but if he breaks through one on one in the cup final in the last minute with the chance to score the winner, does anyone back him to score it?

I would sell at as close to break even as possible.

His goals scored is decent but any decent striker should be able to replicate that given the chances created.
What he can’t do very well is participate in the build up play or hold the ball up and bring other players into the game.
He also doesn’t pose much of a threat as a break away option when we are under pressure.
Given his decent goal return I think he can still easily be replaced and that will improve us overall.

But aye mate, very few….
Brilliant post, he's scored so many key goals.
Also found the net twice against the filth, it took Morelos 22 games to score against Celtic.

Highest goals to minutes ration in the league, despite not taking penalties.

Since the Winter Break he's scored more goals than any other player as well. He's also scored 8 goals since Shankland last scored from open play. Miovski has scored only 1 goal in that time as well, where as Kyogo has scored 3 despite playing more minutes.

He's the best striker in the league by miles since the winter break.

Last edited:
You can throw all the statistics you want on this one, I find watching him makes my stress levels just as bad a seeing a long ball heading toward our current CB's....

Reality is, Dessers has shown more than Danilo.

If we could get our money back on one, it’d be Danilo for me. Use that £6m to buy a better forward with CD as backup.

£6m on Feyenoord’s third choice was always absolutely ludicrous.

Back