What next for Dessers?

Dessers: Keep or Sell?

• Total voters
Brilliant post, he's scored so many key goals.
Also found the net twice against the filth, it took Morelos 22 games to score against Celtic.

Highest goals to minutes ration in the league, despite not taking penalties.

Since the Winter Break he's scored more goals than any other player as well. He's also scored 8 goals since Shankland last scored from open play. Miovski has scored only 1 goal in that time as well, where as Kyogo has scored 3 despite playing more minutes.

He's the best striker in the league by miles since the winter break.
All this and I’m still sitting here thinking that if he was a genuinely good player, he’d have had about 40 by now.

I'd be looking to keep him as a backup/squad option. He looks fucking terrible at times, but the numbers are there to justify it imo. Much the same as Colak (who wanted to be a starter so opted to leave).

Sell only if we make a profit

His stock is high and we need better and more consistent.
I get we haven’t had those numbers he’s produced in a long time but if he was to take half the chances we got for him I think we’d have won the league.

Rangers 2 servette 1 scored the second goal

Rangers 2 Morton 1 scored the first and assisted second

Rangers 1 Motherwell 0 scored the only goal

Livingston 0 Rangers 2 scored the opener

Rangers 3 Dundee 1 scored the opener

Rangers 2 St Johnstone 0 scored the opener

St Mirren 0 Rangers 1 scored the only goal

Rangers 3 Ross County 1 he scored 2

Rangers 3 Hibernian 1 scored to make it 2-1

Rangers 2 hearts 0 scored both to put us into final

St Mirren 1 Rangers 2 scored to make it 2-1

Rangers 5 Dundee 2 scored the equaliser

But aye mate, very few….
Delusional...paint the stats the way you want,just because he scored 16 goals theres a few games where his goals ACTUALLY won the games, the rest if he scored or not we still got the result

He's probably on a par with Giakoumakis that they had, different profile, squad player to be an impact coming on or to mix it up in different types of games as a starter.
For us, no.9 and the attacks main and only focal point.
We need to do business in the Summer so we aren't reliant on 1 player who has such poor decision making on when to pull the trigger
Voted keep btw
That Greek lad was better footballer than Dessers.

We would have won the league with him this season. Och well bring on the next random punt.
Is he better than Dessers? I'm not sure there's much in it either way. One thing I am sure of, neither of them are good enough to be our main striker next season.

Is he better than Dessers? I'm not sure there's much in it either way. One thing I am sure of, neither of them are good enough to be our main striker next season.
Yes. His scoring record of 30 goals this season after 30 last season shows this.

Why isn't a 30 goal striker in a team inferior to ours good enough out of interest? Do we need 40?

Yes. His scoring record of 30 goals this season after 30 last season shows this.

Why isn't a 30 goal striker in a team inferior to ours good enough out of interest? Do we need 40?
There's no doubting he's a goalscorer and a fantastic finisher. But we know you need more than that to lead the line at Rangers. I'd like to think we have a better all-round player lined up. If we can get him as back up for a good price then I'm sure most would be happy with that.

I have a lot of time for him. He can improve, so that means with minimal improvement he gets 30 next season easily. Wasn’t fit to start with or wasn’t picked and still has 22 (and counting).

Better midfielders/service to him should be our priority.

Delusional...paint the stats the way you want,just because he scored 16 goals theres a few games where his goals ACTUALLY won the games, the rest if he scored or not we still got the result
You said he had only scored a few where it mattered, take his goals out of 7 of the games I mentioned and we wouldn’t have won those games. Say you dislike him, say you want better, that’s absolutely fine mate. The facts however are he scored over 20 goals, has 8 assists, has ACTUALLY been the difference between winning and dropping points this season in more than “a few games” this season. Feel free to tell me how many games Cantwell, Lawrence, Roofe, Matondo, Wright, McAusland, Danilo, Raskin, Lundstrum, Diomande, Jack and Sterling have scored in this season where the goal has been the difference between 3 points and 1/0. Maybe then you’ll see we have far bigger issues than Cyriel Dessers

You said he had only scored a few where it mattered, take his goals out of 7 of the games I mentioned and we wouldn’t have won those games. Say you dislike him, say you want better, that’s absolutely fine mate. The facts however are he scored over 20 goals, has 8 assists, has ACTUALLY been the difference between winning and dropping points this season in more than “a few games” this season. Feel free to tell me how many games Cantwell, Lawrence, Roofe, Matondo, Wright, McAusland, Danilo, Raskin, Lundstrum, Diomande, Jack and Sterling have scored in this season where the goal has been the difference between 3 points and 1/0. Maybe then you’ll see we have far bigger issues than Cyriel Dessers
I'm not going to argue the semantics of this conversation, yes there are huge problems within and I'm sure outwith the playing team but what hes done is mediocre and nothing more for 4.5 million , even if he had the service he will still be just as frustrating,hes nowhere near good enough.

Let's be honest the big fella just isn't up to it and never will be. He's a hard watch at times. The decision not to sign Shankland for a few million has cost us the league and tens of millions in revenue. A self-inflicted wound that we should resolve by signing Shankland and giving him the 9 shirt.

I'm not going to argue the semantics of this conversation, yes there are huge problems within and I'm sure outwith the playing team but what hes done is mediocre and nothing more for 4.5 million , even if he had the service he will still be just as frustrating,hes nowhere near good enough.
Im not arguing semantics, well not on purpose anyway. It’s totally fine to say you dont feel he is good enough. Just don’t see the need to play down how much he has actually contributed to our season. He contributed more than “just a few” game winning goals. If we had a squad with Dessers mentality and attitude we would be sitting here tonight champions instead of them

Keep. Just someone please get it into him to not be afraid to have a crack first time instead of taking 1 or more needless touches in front of goal.

The idea that we have the luxury of keeping him around as a squad option isn’t really based in reality. Maybe if we won the league, but even then it would have been fanciful. Remember Dessers wasn’t an easy transfer to pull off. He rejected Beale initially but then he managed to convince him to come to Scotland, and that wouldn’t have come cheap.

Clement tried to sign Batshuyai as his main man. That didn’t come off, so he then went for Silva where the idea was for him to lead the line with Sima and Cortes.

I like the big guy and he’s nowhere near a flop - in fact, he’s one of the few that comes out this season with a bit of credit. But I think it’s clear he’s moving on if it allows the manager to get his own 9.

Last edited:
Keep. 21 goals, or 26 goal contributions, if I’m right, isn’t the worst start in your first season.

He grafts away, he tries and never hides and he can score goals.

He needs coached better in terms of decision making and taking the easy chances, and if he can be coached better in that regards while not losing the natural physical aspects of his game, he would be a fucking goal machine.

I’d keep him and let’s see what he can do. He’s another one that needs a wee bit of love and a wee bit of encouragement to keep going, and when he’s loved I reckon we would get the best out of him.

If he’s coached right and plays in a good side creating chances, he’s getting 20 goals a season minimum.
Since he’s scored more than twenty goals this season, does that mean that we are a good side that creates chances? Seriously, tho’, I think that, at his age , Dessers is probably all the player he’ll ever be so I would say we keep him or git rid of him on that basis.

There's no doubting he's a goalscorer and a fantastic finisher. But we know you need more than that to lead the line at Rangers. I'd like to think we have a better all-round player lined up. If we can get him as back up for a good price then I'm sure most would be happy with that.
Nobody would be complaining about this if we had a midfielder chipping in 15 goals and another with 10. Dessers missed chances is not the main problem in the team.

Your point is true for every position - if there is a better option for less money then we sell and reinvest. It isn't guaranteed that Shankland or anyone else would score 30 for us like people think. It also isn't beyond the realms of possibility that Dessers scores 30+ next season.

The idea that we have the luxury of keeping him around as a squad option isn’t really based in reality. Maybe if we won the league, but even then it would have been fanciful. Remember Dessers wasn’t an easy transfer to pull off. He rejected Beale initially but then he managed to convince him to come to Scotland, and that wouldn’t have come cheap.

Clement tried to sign Batshuyai as his main man. That didn’t come off, so he then went for Silva where the idea was for him to lead the line with Sima and Cortes.

I like the big guy and he’s nowhere near a flop - in fact, he’s one of the few that comes out this season with a bit of credit. But I think it’s clear he’s moving on if it allows the manager to get his own 9.

Who knows if Dessers will be a squad player next season though mate?

He's currently the most consistent goalscorer in the league and considering he barely did any pre season training this season, he'll maybe be scoring even more next season, if he can start the season fully fit.

Obviously money talks, but I don't think Clement will be in any rush to get rid, even if he signs the new striker we all want.

As I said previously, after the Roofe injuries, the garbage attitude and fitness issues with Morelos, it's almost a novelty having a striker that's available for selection every week and scoring goals.

Who knows if Dessers will be a squad player next season though mate?

He's currently the most consistent goalscorer in the league and considering he barely did any pre season training this season, he'll maybe be scoring even more next season, if he can start the season fully fit.

Obviously money talks, but I don't think Clement will be in any rush to get rid, even if he signs the new striker we all want.

As I said previously, after the Roofe injuries, the garbage attitude and fitness issues with Morelos, it's almost a novelty having a striker that's available for selection every week and scoring goals.

Clement went for Batshuayi in January and then signed Silva with the initial intention of playing him as his 9.

Clement went for Batshuayi in January and then signed Silva with the initial intention of playing him as his 9.

He maybe did mate, but since January, Dessers has looked a better player, a superior striker to Silva and far more likely to get into goalscoring positions than him.

While I would never judge Silva playing wide left, as it isn't his natural position, his performances when playing through the middle, were ordinary at best.

Let's not forget that Dessers was also selected for Nigeria (a vastly superior international side to Scotland) and was nominated as MOTM by the Nigerian media.

He's far from the dud that the crackpots on here try to make out.

He maybe did mate, but since January, Dessers has looked a better player, a superior striker to Silva and far more likely to get into goalscoring positions than him.

While I would never judge Silva playing wide left, as it isn't his natural position, his performances when playing through the middle, were ordinary at best.

Let's not forget that Dessers was also selected for Nigeria (a vastly superior international side to Scotland) and was nominated as MOTM by the Nigerian media.

He's far from the dud that the crackpots on here try to make out.

Both things can be true, mate. Dessers is nowhere near a dud but equally there are reservations on whether or not he’s the right fit for a starting 9 for a successful Rangers team.

And yes, he deserves credit for getting back into the Nigeria fold albeit was straight back out when Moffi and Osimhen got fit.

I agree he is better than Silva as a 9 btw, albeit the Portuguese has been one of our better players recently.

He reminds me of Tore Andre Flo- not in playing style- if you were basing his success at a club on his Wikipedia stats you'd think he was a roaring success. Stats don't tell you everything.

Both things can be true, mate. Dessers is nowhere near a dud but equally there are reservations on whether or not he’s the right fit for a starting 9 for a successful Rangers team.

And yes, he deserves credit for getting back into the Nigeria fold albeit was straight back out when Moffi and Osimhen got fit.

I agree he is better than Silva as a 9 btw, albeit the Portuguese has been one of our better players recently.

Will always be happy with an upgrade for any of our players mate.

Every single one of our outfield players could easily be improved.

I will take an upgrade on him but his return this year is not to be sniffed at.

With a decent pre season and better players around him he could hit even more next year.

We just need a coach to drill it into him that he needs to get the shot away sooner.

If Dessers was out designated penalty taker instead of Tav he would probably be on 28+ goals in the league.

He would be ahead of Shankland in the top scorer charts and would probably be winning some of these accolades that Shankland is winning.

Tired of hearing about Shankland. If he's the answer the question must be 'how do we cement 2nd place mediocrity'. Their comparitive stats:

Goals per 90m
Shankland - 0.65
Dessers - 0.65

Mins per goal
Shankland - 138
Dessers - 138

Goal conversion
Shankland - 23%
Dessers - 21%

Shot accuracy
Shankland - 50%
Dessers - 62%

Very little between them. Certainly not sufficient to warrant shelling out millions on Shankland. We need much better, not marginally better.

Tired of hearing about Shankland. If he's the answer the question must be 'how do we cement 2nd place mediocrity'. Their comparitive stats:

Goals per 90m
Shankland - 0.65
Dessers - 0.65

Mins per goal
Shankland - 138
Dessers - 138

Goal conversion
Shankland - 23%
Dessers - 21%

Shot accuracy
Shankland - 50%
Dessers - 62%

Very little between them. Certainly not sufficient to warrant shelling out millions on Shankland. We need much better, not marginally better.

When you don't include pens Shanksy's goals per 90 mins ratio drops to 0.57 and Dessers' remains at 0.65.

Dessers has a better goal scoring rate than Shanksy from goals from open play.

Goals per 90m
Shankland - 0.65
Dessers - 0.65

Mins per goal
Shankland - 138
Dessers - 138

Goal conversion
Shankland - 23%
Dessers - 21%

Shot accuracy
Shankland - 50%
Dessers - 62%

Dessers is a far better all round player too.

Far higher work rate, quicker and moves central defenders around more, ceeating space for team mates.

You only had to watch the Scottish Cup Semi Final to see the difference in overall quality between Dessers and Shankland.

Balogun and Souttar could've played in their pipe and slippers against him.

All these "keep him as back up"

A £4.5 million pound player who will be on 25k? a week.

Forgot we were loaded.
Was just about to make the exact same point. He’s one of the highest paid players in the league, therefore he should also be one of the best and most productive. If that’s the sort of money we are paying for a backup (and a poor one at that), what do people expect us to be paying for a first pick?

(Awaits an onslaught of ‘but that money’s nothing in the scheme of things Worldwide’)

Goals per 90m
Shankland - 0.65
Dessers - 0.65

Mins per goal
Shankland - 138
Dessers - 138

Goal conversion
Shankland - 23%
Dessers - 21%

Shot accuracy
Shankland - 50%
Dessers - 62%

Probably why both are £4m players

Back