What will Tav's legacy be?

A highlight reel of goals to rival most. The trophy cabinet is not so much. Just in the cyclic nature of football, he was part of a team that overstayed their welcome. We started changing that in the summer with Morelos, McGregor, Kent and Kamara. Tav, Goldson, Barisic all should really not still be Rangers players tbh

Someone mentioned come back to this in 4 weeks. If he plays a part in winning a title or even a treble after the last few weeks then his legacy will be very different.

A very good player and great servant but unfortunately a lack of trophies. 3 major trophies in 8 years isn't good enough. Not that it's all his fault. But as captain he shoulders more responsibility than other members of playing sqaud. He can't control everything. He can't help Kents inconsistencies he can't help that Umar Saidq chose a ridiculous dive instead of a tap in. But giving his penalty to Morelos was his choice. And I'm sorry but too often he looks terrified against them. His performance levels fall off a cliff he can barley make a two yard pass..until we're chasing. Hate to sound like I'm bashing him cause I'm a fan. Very good player never a captain.

Put in some outstanding performances particularly on the way to 55 and the europa final run.

Also put in some really poor performances.

That’s Tav though .

A very good player and great servant but unfortunately a lack of trophies. 3 major trophies in 8 years isn't good enough. Not that it's all his fault. But as captain he shoulders more responsibility than other members of playing sqaud. He can't control everything. He can't help Kents inconsistencies he can't help that Umar Saidq chose a ridiculous dive instead of a tap in. But giving his penalty to Morelos was his choice. And I'm sorry but too often he looks terrified against them. His performance levels fall off a cliff he can barley make a two yard pass..until we're chasing. Hate to sound like I'm bashing him cause I'm a fan. Very good player never a captain.
Lies.

Asked if Morelos should have taken the penalty on Open Goal, Halliday said: "No, if I'm honest, no.

"See the thing is with Alfredo? I'd go as far to say he's a poor finisher, but he's an unbelievable goal scorer.

"He's one of those who you'd watch in game and training and he'd scaff everything into the bottom corner and you'd think that was ugly as anything, but it just goes in all the time!

"I think the biggest thing you need with penalties is composure which is why I felt Tav was a brilliant penalty taker for us.

"Although it got took off him because he missed two in a row, he took so many pressure penalties and scored them.

"I didn't want Alfredo to take that penalty, no.

I actually think it will be a great story of triumph over adversity.

If we won in Seville there wouldnt be a debate.

He will be remembered for lifting 55 and his goals.

However, he is in danger of being remembered less favourably imho.

If we lose the league and Scottish Cup and he continues to play and lead us to runners up medals, a large portion of our support will remember him as a loser.

Is he likely to stay? I actually think he would be better utilised further forward

He would have been a cracking player wide right in midfield in the old 4-4-2 formation

I personally look forward to the day he leaves.

We'll have a new captain which means we'll win treble after treble.

It’s impossible to compare him to previous Rangers captains. None of them faced the adversity he did. He’s made some big mistakes, had poor games, yet he still comes back time and time again. No controversy or ill-discipline, on or off the pitch, just gets on with it. Rarely misses a game. That is setting an example. Led us to quite possibly the most important title in our history, restored our pride in Europe, and at the very least we’re back consistently battling Celtic again.

I’m not so sure previous Rangers greats could’ve endured what he has, yet he still keeps fighting.

Someone had to lead us through these tough years, where we’ve struggled to compete in terms of finance and experience. Tavernier will be looked back upon with great fondness and respect.

Triumph over adversity, is a great way of putting it.

No Rangers captain has achieved what he has, simple as that.

The mental toughness to overcome the humiliations, maulings and so on that he has endured over his time with us - developing into the player he is, from where he started.

He captained us to our first league title since the horror of 2012, which we are still impacted by today and I hope (suspect) that he’ll be viewed far more positively by later generations.

Won every domestic trophy there is, restored European credibility, top scorer in a European competition of which he drove us to within a bawhair of winning it.

Praised to the heavens by two incredibly decorated footballers, one of whom made him captain of our club.

His time is almost up, due to his age and miles on the clock but it’ll be a very sad day when he goes.
Great post.

Future right backs will be judged (rightly or wrongly) against Tav on the goals and assists which is a testament in itself.

I've seen Whittaker and Broadfoot lift trophies as the Rangers right back, neither of whom have a fraction of his ability. A very good footballer who unfortunately signed for us during the recovery period, which a lot of fans will hold against him when they really shouldn't when it comes to those moronic soundbites like 2 trophies in however many years when we had no real right to be challenging for most of them for half of it. He's also up against a Celtic side that have had the same kind of advantage over us that we did over them from about 86-1998 if not an even greater one if someone can put the numbers together on transfer fees and wages.

League, Scottish Cup and League Cup winner. From the championship to the Europa League Final. Highest scoring British defender of all time.

Sadly he mostly played in poor Rangers teams.

Triumph over adversity, is a great way of putting it.

No Rangers captain has achieved what he has, simple as that.

The mental toughness to overcome the humiliations, maulings and so on that he has endured over his time with us - developing into the player he is, from where he started.

He captained us to our first league title since the horror of 2012, which we are still impacted by today and I hope (suspect) that he’ll be viewed far more positively by later generations.

Won every domestic trophy there is, restored European credibility, top scorer in a European competition of which he drove us to within a bawhair of winning it.

Praised to the heavens by two incredibly decorated footballers, one of whom made him captain of our club.

His time is almost up, due to his age and miles on the clock but it’ll be a very sad day when he goes.
I’m very vocal about the fact I want him and the bulk of the squad gone. Doesn’t mean I won’t remember him fondly. A fantastic ambassador for the club and took us from struggling to get out the championship to all three domestic trophies and going as far as you can in a European cup without actually winning the fucking thing.

His status in the hall of fame splits opinion but he’s been a colossus for us.

Done so much for us and for me the big point is we were coming out of and going through some awful times off the park. He stuck with it, did his best to lead the team, fantastic going forward, a machine, great goals, but some not so good times defensively.
Great servant to the club, time to move on but will no doubt be back to visit his club regularly for years to come.

Tavernier has been an excellent player overall for us, but as others have said this month will either secure his status as a legend who led us back to or former glories, or in 20 years he will just be remembered as a great individual player in the worst period of our history. He deserves it to be the former.

Tav for me is quite simply our best ever right back. Yes he has defensive frailties but he’s the highest scoring British defender ever and one of the highest scoring defenders in footballing history. He’s a legend and will be remembered as such.

Elite player.

Record breaker.

Exceeding all exceptions and then some.

What mightve been in terms of trophies and medals had he played for longer under the likes of Gerrard and less under some of the jokers he saw as Manager.

Through time a legend, who was the leader,and saved the younger generation, from years to come of getting 10 in a row ramned down there throats, day in day out, not forgetting taking us to a European final, with the teams we faced capable of reaching the later stages of the actual champions league,such was the profile of the teams we faced .

123 goals as a defender, cannae pass a ball to a Rangers player, not a defender, gets caught up the park too often, getting slow. Not a Captain, a Championship player.

Beat me to it bro! Dumb comment wasn’t it.
Illl take that. I could Ofer excuses as to why I missed this but won’t.&& apologies if it offended

The point was they were still warmly received at the club and recognised as former captains despite not having a massive trophy haul

He's been with us for what, 9 years? He's only managed 3 major trophies in that time which honestly should have been more.

He's had some great personal achievements with us but in the end you're judged on the trophies you win and he's failed to deliver more years than not.

He will be remembered for winning 55 and stopping 10 in a row but that's it for me. Time to move on.

He's been with us for what, 9 years? He's only managed 3 major trophies in that time which honestly should have been more.

He's had some great personal achievements with us but in the end you're judged on the trophies you win and he's failed to deliver more years than not.

He will be remembered for winning 55 and stopping 10 in a row but that's it for me. Time to move on.
In the context of where we were a dozen years ago and what we’ve recovered to achieve, the griping about not having won enough trophies feels a little churlish in all honesty.

An unbeaten league title, a Scottish Cup win, a League Cup win and taking the club to within a whisker of winning the Europa League have been incredible achievements considering we nearly went out of existence.

Could we have won more? Yes, sure, but what he has actually achieved as a player and captain needs to be viewed within that context as quite remarkable really.

What I will say though is that I’m pretty sure Tav considers his time at the club to have been hugely successful and perhaps that is part of the issue, because for much of our support, rightly or wrongly, it clearly isn’t anywhere near enough.

Illl take that. I could Ofer excuses as to why I missed this but won’t.&& apologies if it offended

The point was they were still warmly received at the club and recognised as former captains despite not having a massive trophy haul
I realise it was a daft mistake and I retract my derogatory reply to @ Arkansasgerstill

For me he'll be remembered as a captain who lead us to a European final and won our 55th title.

He also dug us out of holes time and time again and was consistently let down by those around him.

One of our best Right Backs will be his legacy

If however we don't win the league this season, it will be mixed with being a general failure as a captain, 1 title win in all these years isn't good enough, 2 probably isn't but lets cut him some slack.

A fantastic servant, seems to be a really really nice guy who carries himself how Rangers players should.

You can't ignore the faults, but i will tell you now, if we had won 3 or 4 leagues and more cups (all which have been possible!) then he would go down as one of the greats.

Fine margins, but at a club like ours, the expectation on the captain is to lead the club to multiple trophies, and thats what a club built on success should be like.

Maybe it’s a generational thing but I remember the likes of Gazza,Laudrup,McCoist, Hateley, Cooper etc etc. I’m sorry but Tavernier is no where near good enough to be mentioned along side them. Nothing against the guy, where we were he has been fundamental in getting us back to where we belong but he isn’t good enough to be called a legend along side others.

I'll tell you in 3 to 4 weeks. Things and memories can change drastically. It probably won't, but we live in hope.

At a fee of only £200k, Tav has been an outstanding signing for us. His early career was hardly inspiring - 2 full-time clubs, with only 13 appearances, and 7 loan spells, with 82 appearances, in the 6 years before joining us - we had no reason to expect his subsequent achievements with us. Add to that he played through some pretty bleak years in our history. It is abundantly clear that he found his "football home" with us and I wish him well - staying or going - he deserves our respect.

Back