When Serie A was king

Wouldn't really choose Michael Laudrup for that team. An all time great player but not for what he did in Italy. Boniek was better than him at Juve

Football Italia on the Sat morn then the game on the Sunday.
Cool dude showing you highlights and papers all on cooncil telly too.
Your 100% correct bud.
And sat with a coffee and a massive sundae or pastry. I loved watching it when I was younger.

Sat in front of the tele on the Saturday morning, head to my Gran’s for a fry up then on to Ibrox. Just a brilliant time.

Sad to see how it has fallen now, unable to compete with EPL spending etc, although an Italian team was in the CL final, but Italian football was king for a good while.

Be a decent game against the 90s team

1920.jpg

Be a decent game against the 90s team

1920.jpg
Brilliant team that and that’s even with no space for 90’s Serie A legends Del Piero or George Weah.

Inter Milan Ronaldo was the best player in the world at that time. And Batistuta was powerful and lethal CF.

That 90s team would be a match for any team in any era.

90’s team wipes the floor with the 80’s mob.
Costa, Nedved,Albertini, and Batistuta are nowhere near the level of the 80s team, middle to front.

Zoff is a better keeper than Pagliuca, Scirea and Cabrini are 2 of the greatest Italian defenders of all time.

The 80s team would win by 3 or 4.

Costa, Nedved,Albertini, and Batistuta are nowhere near the level of the 80s team, middle to front.

Zoff is a better keeper than Pagliuca, Scirea and Cabrini are 2 of the greatest Italian defenders of all time.

The 80s team would win by 3 or 4.

Nedved is a Ballon d'Or winner and a top tier gold standard midfielder — he is absolutely getting in that team. The others I'll give you.

Stumbled on this image whilst browsing earlier, what a team this is, and what a league Serie A was back then in the 80s, toughest and best league in the world.
Rijkaard, what a player.

I mind watching Holland v Scotland and he made our Davie Robertson look unfit and slow. Destroyed McLaren also. Literally ripped them to pieces.

One of best performances I’ve seen from a player. I was young but that day I saw a legend.

On the basis that Costacurta and Maldini played in the 80s I've no idea why they aren't in the 80s team too (given that Baresi made both the 80s and 90s team).

Reactions: TQ3
Maldini and Baresi. Both of them certainly in top 5 all time defenders. Arguably number 1 and number 2.

Who was better? I'd have to go with Maldini as he was sensational as both a full-back and central defender.

Maldini and Baresi. Both of them certainly in top 5 all time defenders. Arguably number 1 and number 2.

Who was better? I'd have to go with Maldini as he was sensational as both a full-back and central defender.
Maldini's stats is incredible, debut at 16, 26 top trophies, Seria A, European cups, World cups

Last few years pundits were suggesting that Van Dijk was up the best defender in the world, to put it into perspective,

Maldini at 27:
406 Milan caps
Italy Captain
4 Scudetti
4 Supercoppa
3 Champions League
3 Super Cup
1 Intercontinental Cup
World Soccer Player 1994
World Cup All Star: 1990, 1994

Van Dijk was playing for Southampton at 27

I still hear people who come out with things like Italian / Serie A defences killed the game
It's utter nonsense IMO
The defence's were a thing to be admired for no other reason than what they were up against half the time
Serie A in it's heyday was really entertaining
Although the EPL has it's moments it still falls short of the level of excellence Serie A gave us in the 90's IMO

Back