Where has our defensive structure gone?

We have a team filled with players who have done this many times before and let themselves down when under pressure. We have a right back who has never been able to defend, should not be captain and who’s only strength (athleticism that gets him into scoring opportunities) is now gone. He’s playing alongside a centre back who should never have been given a new contract after Seville, and then one other centre back from a) the injury prone guy who can be solid but has a couple of howlers a game, b) the injury prone guy who is not quite as solid but doesn’t make as many howlers, c) the injury prone guy who has never been good enough. Completing the back 4 is another player who should never have still been here and has lost all his ability, or latterly the other left back who will never be fit or consistent to make it for us.

Protecting them we have a Lundstram whose legs have gone about his bad as his mentality. The other guy who can do that role has played a handful of games in a number of years, or Tik Tok Todd who will never have the attitude to be a key player for us.

Then we add in that whole motley crew into a team that was coached by a fraud who decided not to work on any fitness meaning not only were they dead on their feet by the half way point, they ended up injured into the bargain!

Beale is gone and I’d like to see every single person I mentioned above changed out this summer! That’s not realistic I know so I’ll settle for just getting rid of Tav and Goldson.

Conceding 2 more goals than a poor Celtic defence is hardly an achievement, especially as they have been without Carter-Vickers for quite a bit.
CCV missed around 12 league games . His injury gap is nothing like as extreme as the main players we cite as part of our performance problems .

Hatate is the one they missed but he has probably palyed about as much as Danilo or Jack .

We sit far too deep against them, I think they fear a ball over the top to the diving cheat. That makes us susceptible to be attacked down the flanks form it backs. We have conceded so many goals against them like that over the past couple of seasons

You can't both take away your main centre half who played 99% of games and also seemed to be the main communicator ... and in the short term keep your defensive structure , especially when goldson had a different centre half partner almost every month

Centre half is one of the most important positions on the pitch , no consistency there and it all goes Pete tong... btw injury or decision to take him out.. it's time for goldson ( amongst others ) to move on

We sit far too deep against them, I think they fear a ball over the top to the diving cheat. That makes us susceptible to be attacked down the flanks form it backs. We have conceded so many goals against them like that over the past couple of seasons
Losing bassey was massive vos mentions it as well

He had pace meaning we could defend higher up the pitch.

All our defenders are not overly fast balogun maybe but he will only play so many games and be injured.

Goldson is prob fastest but the way we are playing is leaving him exposed

The manager has criticised our preseason on several occasions, we’ve played 9 more games than Celtic (18% more across the season), several players running down contracts, it’s really not a surprise our form in general has dropped off a cliff!

Losing bassey was massive vos mentions it as well

He had pace meaning we could defend higher up the pitch.

All our defenders are not overly fast balogun maybe but he will only play so many games and be injured.

Goldson is prob fastest but the way we are playing is leaving him exposed

Replacing him with Ben Davies is incredible.

Back