Which goal was better? Wilkins v Thern.

Which goal was better?

• Wilkins

Votes: 155 52.5%
  • Thern

Votes: 140 47.5%

• Total voters
The fact the keeper doesn’t dive for Wilkins’ goal annoys me, looks better when the keeper does a big helpless dive

Wilkins. Especially if you consider the context as well as the strike.

Wilkins was the turning point in a match that really laid down a marker that year. They were champions, 1st OF game of the new season. They went into an early lead. We eventually leathered them and showed them what we would be all about that year.

Thern should’ve have sent us on our way to ten in a row...... but we made an absolute ar*se of the game immediately after. Forever a lost opportunity.

Thern's for me.

Hit with power and pin point accuracy right into the top corner. No keeper was saving that
I went for Wilkins and whilst both were great strikes , I still to this day think Therns takes the slightest deflection off the first mentally challenged, it goes in nowhere near the top corner, it more or less goes in in an area a keeper should have covered, it was Therns power (and possible deflection) that beat the keeper

Really tough one but Wilkins for me as I was there.
I also struggle to separate the later outcomes of goals from the individual goals themselves when comparing them.
I can't really watch the McKay semi final and the Thern one without feeling the pain of what unfolded afterwards.
Silly I know but can't help it.

Wilkins was on the volley, makes it a better goal. The finish from Thern was quality, but Wilkins for technique I reckon.

Tied Wilkins for sentimental reasons. Had taken my m8 to his 1st old firm game that day, his words were “are they always like this!”

Could watch both all day but Wilkins for me.

Off topic but still get a weird tingle of excitement when I watch clips from the Martyn Tyler/Andy Gray era Sky matches against the beasts. Instantly transported back to a truly brilliant time.

Nostalgia RSC

I picked Wilkins because it was a volley but Therns was some goal.
I tried to score that Wilkins goal for the next 20 years & could never manage it.

I sit in the Copland and remember both goals well as I was right in line. I voted for Wilkins as it was out of the blue. You could see Thern shaping up for the shot, so it wasn't quite as big a surprise.

Wilkins is an iconic Rangers goal. Thern's is absolutely magnificent though. Copeland rear watching that fly in is something I'll always remember and really should have all but clinched TIAR. I've always felt we threw that away. That filth team were the worst team ever to win a league. Wilkins goal is an all time classic and although he wasn't here long, he's rightly considered a Rangers great. He really was a superb player. I voted for Ray.

Both fantastic goals, voted Wilkins in the end as that match was iconic. Desperately hoping we get another result like that against them soon...

Technically I would say Thern’s just edges it as he has to adjust his body a bit more to get the clean stroke off but in terms of iconic Rangers goals then Wilkins wins it by the length of Argyle street.

Both fantastic strikes.

Wilkins was just a magnificent strike. The ball came to him quicker and he hit it on the full volley. My favourite goal ever

Before boots and ball technology improved only Brazilians and Dennis Bergkamp could direct a ball that well with the outside of the boot, then Jonas....but always loved Butch's goal. Technically its more difficult without the bounce/time to Steady, and not shin-it, but Jonas had just one step to produce a big swing and power ( a la The Hammer)
Hmmmm Wilko vote.

Another great Thread - thanks

Ooft, now this is much tougher than your McKay or Novo one from yesterday @dh1963 . Much tougher.

I've gone for Wilkins because its from one of my favourite games but, by f*ck, there's not a lot in it. Thern's is a goal that is often overlooked. Some power in that.

Wonder if you could have a contestant to face The Goalie v Van Donkey?!
(don't want to be insulting.....gotta be a Ger / Banks is excluded :p )

guess where my vote goes? :p

Thern's for me!! There was a hush just before he hit it and even from the rear of the Govan you heard it coming off his boot, but both were great goals.

That goal should have been the catalyst to go on and win the league!!

Therns for me, it hit the back of the net higher up in the corner, i always loved when the ball would nestle there from a rocket.

Thern for me. I was in my seat in GR7, right behind him as he shot.As soon as he hit it, I knew it was a goal. Could see it all the way before it hit the net.

Ray Wilkins all day long

Purely because I was there and probably one of the best goals ever scored at Ibrox.

Thern, probably the only noteable thing he done, great player just finished when he reached us.

Both outstanding goals. And had the season ended differently that year we would probably talk about Thern’s screamer as much as we do RW’s rocket.

The 5-1 game was amazing. That 2-0 game is in a way what could’ve been (Albertz’s replica of the cup game goal was brilliant that day too) but I remember Super had a few good efforts to break the record that day and missed out.

Both technically brilliant goals and a joy to have watched them happen at the time.

Very difficult to choose between these two goals so my choice is made on sentimental reasons - got to be Wilkins!

Wilkins for me. My memory was that Thern's goal was from a corner. I'm addled.

Just wish we had pushed for more goals in the 5-1 game instead of Souness bringing himself on and spraying the passes about. We should have had double figures.

Both great goals but Wilkins goal just shades it.

Pity Jamie Ness goal was not included in the poll superb screamer

Therns was the better goal for me but I prefer Wilkins goal think as much for his celebration than anything else.

The Wilkins volley is worthy of being printed on a t shirt.All who saw it that
day will never forget it.It knocked the stuffing out of the tims.

Back