Who do we think will take the iconic Number 10 squad number next season?

I mean we aren't really a club that associates a number with something but admittedly to me, the Rangers number 9 is important and over the last few years there hasn't really been many who are worth it's legacy. Defoe yes, Colak...maybe, but guys like Diallo (who's not even a CF) or Sadiq should have never worn it. Stein, Parlane, Johnstone, McCoist, Boyd, Prso, Mols, Jelavic. These are guys who deserved that

Durrant was 10 from Souness' arrival until that assault.

Number 9 and 11 are the iconic shirts at the club.

McCoist, DJ, Albertz, Laudrup, Cooper. There's 5 legends in those numbers right away.
I guess shirt numbers were more iconic when the team on the field only wore 1-11.
Even in the 1960's you'd have to say Jimmy Millar, Jim Forrest and Colin Stein were iconic No.9's, with Davy Wilson and Willie Johnston iconic No.11's.

As for iconic No.10's, over the years have had some legendary No.10's, all the way back to the 1890's, the great Kitey McPherson, with 322 appearances, and 173 Goals that carried us through to the early 1900's.
Tommy Cairns 1914-27 with 475 appearances, and 10 years as our Captain.
The legendary Bob McPhail who scored 275 Goals in 443 Games for Rangers from 1927-40,
Ralph Brand our No.10 from the 1960's certainly deserves his place up there alongside them, and he was more prolific than any of them,
with his return of Goals to Games at 65%.
To put that into perspective, Ally McCoist has a return of Goals to Games at 62%.

A lot of players prefer to keep the squad number they had at their last club, or what they had as a youth player.

The most iconic player/number connection we’ve had in the last decade is Tav 2 and Morelos 20. The rest are all a bit meh.

Is 10 really been an iconic number at Ibrox?

Hateley is the only one that I can think of that wore it for a period of time (before squad numbers).
Yes Hateley is who i think of when talking about a Rangers number 10 and he is not the type of player associated with it nowadays.

Davis, Ejaria, Dorrans, McKay, Oduwa, Vuckic, Fleck. These are the last guys who were assigned the 10 (Bear in mind we didnt have assigned squad numbers in 2012/13 and 2013/14). Not a super inspiring list. Davis will obviously not be assigned one as he's technically not under contract anymore so there will be a new No.10 although it's interesting that he's had 4 different numbers in his time with us.
2007/08 - 12 (35 in Europe as 12 had been used by someone else)
2008/9 - 35
2009/10 - 7
2010-12 - 8 (As Maurice Edu took the No.7)
2019-23 - 10.

There's something quite refreshing that there will be a whole new squad of guys wearing new numbers. Kinda symbolising the change coming.

Back