Who triggered the staunchness?

My Papa, a blue nose an orangeman a great man.
Took me to my first game got me my first season ticket.
Will never forget queing to get into the Davie Cooper testimonial with him.

There wasn't many mixed marriages when I was young, everyone I knew, mum, dad, brothers, sister, aunts, uncles, cousins and schoolmates were Rangers Fans and Celtic were the enemy. Being brought up in Loyalist Kinning Park kinda sealed the deal too :)

I can only ever remember being a Rangers supporter, I actually believe I was born one. My aunt took me to my 1st game at Ibrox on New Years day against Thistle '68 we won 3-1 she was 16 ,no pics, I was 5, my dad was too pi$$ed from the night before and we walked from Pollokshaws to Ibrox with me constantly saying "are we there yet". I was hooked! I then used to only get to the games occasionally up until I was 10. I was then allowed to go to Shawfield to watch Clyde or so my mum thought, what she didn't know was that I said I was getting the No 27 bus from King St in Ruglen opposite the cop shop to Shawfield but was in fact getting the Rutherglen East (Chapmans) bus to Ibrox wee Hughie Dornan's no swearing no bigoted chanting charabanc.
Chapman's there's a name my first official pint with my dad and brother WEE VINNIE APICELLA what a name for a staunch RANGERS MAN i was 8. When my dad wee vinnietook me raith rover's at Ibrox got lifted over the Turnstile in those days followed thro the 60's and endured those ba......Yards win 9 in a row ,inherited Vinnie's season ticket when he sadly passed on 86. Yearsold in2002 sweet lovely memories of his granddaughter asking him to help us in the cup final that year,no sooner had she looked up to ask him and lovenkrands.scored WEE VINNIE THE LEGEND A WEE STAUNCH RANGERS MAN THAT TOOK ME WATP AND AS HE USED TO SAY"THE CHAMPIONS OF THE WORLD'

My uncle John. Some unforgettable moments in his company during the short time I really got to know him, more like a big brother than an uncle. I remember having to phone my mum to tell her that had got arrested before the DundeeHivs cup final and her giving him a battering for it.

My Dad.

I grew up listening to stories about Bill Struth, Willie Waddell, Willie Thornton, George Young, Jock Shaw, etc. He and his three brothers never missed a home game and always went down to Wembley every other year for the England game.

Sadly, by the time I was in my early teens, and ready to take my place in the family pilgrimage, two of his brothers had died, and the third was unable to manage the stairs at Ibrox, following an accident at work. He got a bit disillusioned with it after that, and only went to the occasional match.

So, instead of my Dad, my uncles and I all heading off to the game, for the most part, I went with my mates, to stand and sing our heads off in the Derry. No political correctness on show in those days!

He used to love doing the stadium tour, and I have some great photos of him standing beside the Senga Murray painting of his hero, Willie Waddell in the Member's Lounge. He loved the Founder's Trail tours too, and we went on a couple of them together.

So, for my part, I really had no choice but to be a Rangers supporter from birth. Brought up in the faith, you might say.

My dad and his dad.They let it be known I was a Ranger from an early age.No two ways about it. “Your a Ranger! Now get out there and tell everyone.”and I did.
I owe them everything.Thanks to you both.

There's been a few in my family. My maternal grandfather from Cambuslang and my paternal grandmother from Greenfield were both staunch in their own way. I remember my gran teaching me the Willie Waddell song when I was a nipper.

My mum likes to kid on she's staunch and my dad is a bear but is quite nonchalant when it comes to us.

My dad bought me my first shirt around 77/78...-still have a picture of me wearing it
Didnt want to take me to the old Ibrox think,hw thought it was a dangerous place for a kid under 6yr old.. .. him and my uncle took me to my first old firm game at hampden 1980-(riot) then my first visit to Ibrox he took me to the opening of the govan stand v liverpool.. I was awe truck. N that was me... wish he was still with me so I could thank,him.... a qiuet rangers man and good masonic man too boot

Sadly my Old Man passed away when I was knee high to a grasshopper so he never got the chance to introduce me to The Rangers and the rest of my family although good Presbyterian stock, weren't really big football fans.
From as far back as I can remember though, Rangers were always the team for me...I was always either Billy Ritchie in goals or Jimmy Millar sticking them away playing in the playground and there's never ever been another team for me other than Rangers.
It must just be in my genes!
:)

Like most, entirely down to a dad who lived for and loved The Rangers.

And he was here long enough to know the generation after me had been properly raised too.

My uncle jock, my dad was not interested in football, but my uncle took me to Ibrox and also my first old firm game in the late fifties, I will always appreciate that, he made me what I am today. I have also brought my son and my grandson up the correct way since then.

William McBride, 35 Invercanny Drive, Drumchapel got me started wi The RANGERS in 1966.

GOD Bless him.

My auld man god rest his soul. Never met another bear like him in terms of sheer love for rangers. Didnae gee a fuk about anyone else's opinions, told it how it was and was always game for any mentally challenged that stepped out their box.

I had no choice and I'm glad about that.

My papa on my Dad's side was a UDA paramilitary, his skirting boards were painted blue white and red, he was a solid Rangers supporting orange man,he would t eat green veg and I'm deadly serious about that.
A very very hard man, he loved the club.

My Dad never missed a game in the 70's and 80's and still goes a few times a season but he is still very vocal about his support for the Bears.

My cousins and siblings are all in the same boat when it came to football.

It's so much more than just supporting a team on a Saturday, it's a way of life ,I find getting called a "good rangers man" is a huge compliment .

My entire family.

My dad had 9 siblings, all Rangers fans. All their children are Rangers fans (bar one whose Irish mother consitned him into darkness:( ) My mother had two brothers, both Rangers fans, as are all their children.

There was no chance I was ever going to be anything other than one of The People, and never a day goes past that I amn't grateful :)

my old man. Grew up in Northumberland. Had family both sides of the border but always been closer to my relatives in Scotland (Doune). My old man had an old VHS he passed down to me which was basically a karaoke video with the family-friendly tunes on (Every other Saturday etc) & my earliest memory is dancing around the room to the tunes. He also owned a CD with the tunes on and I have vivid memories of family summer holidays in Doune and he'd have the CD on from the moment we left the drive at home to the moment we pulled up in Doune. Every Other Saturday, Follow Follow & who's that team they call the Rangers on loop for 4 hours. :D

after that, it was always going to be the Rangers for me.

Remember my old gran saying, "never trust they tims!" We're Rangers fans for a reason.

My late old man and my 2 older brothers.

My old man somehow was a friend of the late Rangers player/director George Brown and was given tickets for the big matches by him.

Been a regular since 1967 minus the years I played BB/Amateur football.

Its been passed on to my youngest who has attended with me since 2002. Hopefully one day he will recognize me for his staunchness:)

My old man, for me

Interestingly, his father wasn't a football man at all but his uncle (his mother's brother) was a "big bluenose", as my dad would say. His Uncle Bobby took him to games, he had been going from just after the first war. My dad started going just before the second war. Favourite player as a boy was Waddell, but says the greatest was Baxter

I reckon I come from at least 100 years of Rangers supporters, something which makes me feel proud and incredibly humble

My dad took me to my first game in 1968, then I went with mates from school. Have two sons who are Rangers men despite being brought up 400 miles away

My Dad basically went home and away himself from the age of 13, now just goes every home game (part timer :) ) He got me my first season ticket when I was 10.

My grandfather always claimed to be a Shotts Bon Accord man (he was President for over 20 years and my great grandfather was before him so he may have a point.) However Rangers was always spoke of in terms of ‘we’ and he didn’t half instill a proud appreciation of Scottish and British values in me, not to mention he regularly attended Ibrox if SBA weren’t playing.

My Di.......... auld Tinch used tae help deal with the Rangers bus leaving from Eddlewood Bowling Club.......... took me to my first game, gave me ticket stubs when i couldnt make it, gave me my first strip (circa 1988) and was the man that really drummed it into me what it was to be a Rangers supporter.

Who was your inspiration,who showed you what it meant, how it was/is to be a bear?

Who showed you the light ?

RIP Alex “Tinch” McKinven

I used to be the assistant greenkeeper at Eddlewood in 1988. Auld Wullie Sloan was the head greenkeeper, about 70 odd at that time but fit as a fiddle.
We’d come out and cut the greens on a Saturday for a tournament and afterwards would sometimes cadge a lift to Ibrox on the supporters bus.
I remember one bus member has a Mohican, dyed red white and blue around that time. Can’t remember his name though, does he ring a bell with you?

I wasn't given a choice. My Gran was a Rangers fan who would only allow me to listen to the Orange Band coming home in Barrhead on the Sabbath. My Dad was a Rangers man through and through and took me to my first game and even though he got disenchanted over the years, he would never ever put down Rangers being beaten in his football coupon.

My mum is from Greenock and my dad from Northern Ireland,he meet her while over for a match.our summer holidays were spent in Greenock kicking football,always a few horrible wee Tim’s about.as soon as I was old enough I started going on my own to Glasgow,now at the age of 34 Iv got my season ticket and get over when I can

My Dad work in the shipyards in Greenock but left to work in England 74/75 before we all moved down in 75...His mate one Bob McNaughton took me to the home games always remember going to the supporters club in Greenock to get the bus into Glasgow.....Even as a young lad Bob was really into everything about Rangers, much more than my dad.....A towering quite intimidating man with a heart of gold...
I remember a guy bob mcnaughton from Greenock,bound to be the same guy

No real mud bloods in my family until me and my brothers generation. My family all the way back have always been Church of Scotland and Rangers fans. Not until the 80s and onwards did any of my family marry any catholics but none have turned.

I married a catholic, kids were brought up catholic, however all of them now have left that faith and have an active dislike for that church.
Unfortunately my kids don’t like football although my son had a ST when he was a kid.
However all are supporters of the union and are proud to be Scottish and British.
One of my brothers kids is became a total SNP supporting Celtic fan.
I blame my brother:)

My first game my dad took me to was in the early 70s and was against Hearts.

I used to be the assistant greenkeeper at Eddlewood in 1988. Auld Wullie Sloan was the head greenkeeper, about 70 odd at that time but fit as a fiddle.
We’d come out and cut the greens on a Saturday for a tournament and afterwards would sometimes cadge a lift to Ibrox on the supporters bus.
I remember one bus member has a Mohican, dyed red white and blue around that time. Can’t remember his name though, does he ring a bell with you?

Id have been 5 then mate, so sadly too young to remember the guys around at that point

EVERYBODY in my Dad's side support Rangers and on my Mum's side it's my other uncle and his kids who support Rangers, no choice there then!

My grandad used to take me, and when he got to the age he struggled, I’d take him if I got seats where the stairs were not many.
However, he was a good hearted man, to good lol, it wasn’t till I started going with friends aged about 14 that I got my staunchness and hatred of all things associated with them.
My son now goes with me and his staunchness has been there since he was born. :).

All of the boys in my class at primary school supported Third Lanark. Thanks to my dad bringing me up properly, I was the only Rangers fan at that time.
Glad to say that years later I bumped in to several of my former school mates, all of whom had become ardent Rangers supporters. Better late than never I suppose.

I remember a guy bob mcnaughton from Greenock,bound to be the same guy

Lived in a block of flats was Prospecthill court.....I lived there too, was always smartly turned out I remember he used to wear a blue blazer with a very impressive badge woven in it...His wife died soon after we moved down to England 75, like you say it must have been him....Big big Rangers man, My Dad said he got really into it the older he got, he died around 2001 I think...

Lived in a block of flats was Prospecthill court.....I lived there too, was always smartly turned out I remember he used to wear a blue blazer with a very impressive badge woven in it...His wife died soon after we moved down to England 75, like you say it must have been him....Big big Rangers man, My Dad said he got really into it the older he got, he died around 2001 I think...
I stayed in his flat in the late 90s,his partner/wife was beryl,maybe his second wife?

I stayed in his flat in the late 90s,his partner/wife was beryl,maybe his second wife?
Was she English ?.....I last met him around 87 last time I went to Ibrox...shame on me......I was 20 and I can remember he liked a good drink...my mum and his first wife think her name was Isa were really good mates.....I think he lived on the 8th floor.....I remember he had a photo of a line of people on motorcycle with him being on one....funny the things you remember as a kid..

Last edited:
My Di.......... auld Tinch used tae help deal with the Rangers bus leaving from Eddlewood Bowling Club.......... took me to my first game, gave me ticket stubs when i couldnt make it, gave me my first strip (circa 1988) and was the man that really drummed it into me what it was to be a Rangers supporter.

Who was your inspiration,who showed you what it meant, how it was/is to be a bear?

Who showed you the light ?

RIP Alex “Tinch” McKinven
My late Aunty Jean, my Dad’s older sister.

Use to tell me stories about relatives taking her to Ibrox on the tram.

Drummed into me from an early age that although I’m born & bred in England I’m from Scottish Protestant stock and as a result Rangers is the only club for me.

Originating from the highlands and born early 60s you had to rely on guidance. Thankfully my old dad (sadly passed) was a church elder and a bear. My mum tells me I would never eat a green sweety or wear green , to this day , I’m now 56 , I never wear green. I live down in central belt and have season ticket since the Magnificent Bastard took over. My family have no choice or there’s the door. My boy is modern man but although has Timmy pals also hads a ST and knows the score Big time and hates the beggars.
End of the day it’s in the DNA

My Mum's parents were from Possil/Hamiltonhill and both Rangers supporters,my Dad's parents were from the Milton and were both Rangers supporters....no interlopers in our family whatsoever...All their parents were involved in the Craft,OES,Orange Order or the Milton Star Accordion Band...Went to my first game aged 5,in 1975.....Dad was probably the biggest one when it came to triggering my love for the Rangers...took me on away days on the old "Football Specials" all over Scotland.....We speak on the phone 3 or 4 times a week,and the conversation always turn to what's happening regarding the Rangers..

I worked out quite early on in life my old man was everything I didn’t want to be.
He’s also a Celtic supporter, his parents were also a pair of dirty bead rattling bastards.

When I was born my wee maw refused to allow me to be brought up a RC. That didn’t go down well at all to say the least. Without going into details I was Persona Non Grata from my own “grandparents” :D and therein lies the beginning of my hatred of everything those cnuts stand for.

I picked Rangers because blue was and still is my favourite colour.

My da,he took me when I was about 8 from ballingry fife to see the rangers 1967 some journey back then,he then carried it on with his other 4 sons,we all got married and we all had girls who all go to see the rangers they now have their children who believe it or not have all boys and yes they go to see the rangers too,we could probably could fill our own bus.

My old man was from Possil Park/Balornock area from generations of Glaswegians. Met my mother down in Manchester. They had us 3 boys and an oldest sister. We were Bears down there, in the 70's. We moved up here in 1980 but dad had took us to Ibrox when up here on holidays.
Kids in Manchester actually thought it was pretty cool us 3 following Rangers.
Slightly jealous even :cool:

Back