Why are we fans so negative?

Some of our fans are horrendous. They should take their flavour of support and go find another team.

I moaned for the first 20 odd minutes of the game for the simply reason we were dreadful, not at the races, 2nd to every ball.

I moaned again in the final few minutes as we got sloppy against 10 men and was concerned we might concede a late equaliser, especially so when we gave away a needless corner with less than 60 seconds remaining.
The needless corner was the most annoying thing for me

We are getting better slowly but last year we keep the ball and move it into their corner and hold it which is what we should be doing. And it will cost ie hearts if we don't start doing it

However good 3 points we are still missing key players and without helander are a little panicy at the back we struggle at St boo generally.

Against the initial point last year was unique and not a typical season in the league this year is more like a normal season.

Some of our fans still have a fear of the scum after everything that has happened and this title is massive in some ways bigger than last years as if/when we win we put them out of sight for a few years financially

St mirrem go 1 up, we have some fans concede the title.

We win but some fans say x player is pish.

Why can't we all just support the team and see what happens at 90 minutes?
That first 20-30 minutes was up there with anything poor I've seen under Gerrard. SO people are right to moan when there's an apparent lack of application when the skill isn't getting us past teams. St Mirren were beating us in both possession and also in effort.

As for the player part, you have players fans don't take to for whatever reason and they're not shy in telling you when the player is below par while coincidentally forgetting to mention their favourite has been just as pish. That's football, that's opinions, that's emotion.

I don't think our fans are as bad as made out (at times) but I also don't think we are anywhere near as good as some make out either.

Last edited:
Before we equalized I was a moaning faced fucker.I admit it.
Those 7 minutes injury time felt like an hour.Last minute corner as well.
We deserved the win.

Let’s compare our first choice to their back up too then, for fairness.

I think taking the unreasonably pro Celtic view over Rangers would be your problem.

What a bizarre take
OK we will have it your way.
Apart from not playing well, not free scoring and dropping needless points, everything is great and they are actually shite, nothing to be concerned about.
For what its worth i hope you are right.

BTW, we WERE very poor in the opening 20 mins and the players deserved criticism. Unless I'm reading the OP wrong that isn't what he's talking about.

I think he means the guys who revel in it - AWK etc. It's when they are at their happiest. They usually vanish when we pull it back.

Apart from not playing well, not free scoring and dropping needless points, everything is great and they are actually shite, nothing to be concerned about.

Well Celtic were certainly seriously fortunate to steal a win a couple of weeks ago against the worst Aberdeen side in decades, but that was hailed as a great victory.

Yesterday was always going to be a hard game.
Goodwin is a good manager, who has recruited well and has his team well coached and well organised.
He'll fancy a top 6 finish this season.

Don't forget it took a wonder strike from Borna to win in our first visit there last season and then they dumped us out the League Cup, so I was happy to walk out of there yesterday with a victory.

For the record, we actually increased our lead at the top of the league this weekend, although you'd never know it, going by some of the negativity about us and ridiculous positivity about them.

I really try to stay off match threads as they are full of people who really don't understand a game of football and just watch the ball. Yesterday one well known such poster who wanted Delboy, wanted rid of most of our team at various points and is currently on Lundstram's back wanted him subbed straight away as the was useless and slow.

What we had yesterday was a really good effort from St Mirren, they aren't there to make us look good they are there to try to get a result. Good on them for their start they rocked us on our heels and score a very decent goal.

But he very players so many like to criticise were the ones that got control and started to boss the midfield. We had a wee period where we just kept the ball and took the heat out of the game then we started to attack. When we were cooling things down same people shouting to attack. Football is a game of 90 minutes.

Suppose we just have accept we all watch football to get different things out of it. No-one is right or wrong. Just different.

I moaned for the first 20 odd minutes of the game for the simply reason we were dreadful, not at the races, 2nd to every ball.

I moaned again in the final few minutes as we got sloppy against 10 men and was concerned we might concede a late equaliser, especially so when we gave away a needless corner with less than 60 seconds remaining.
Think I was about the same.

Would love to see the posts conceding the title after they scored :))

People just experience the journey in different ways, is all. I am working hard to remember that.

I still struggle with some opinions people have days after games when they aren't as nervous or emotionally involved as they would be during one, but again, who am I to tell anyone how they should experience football?

I would hope some people don't react to everything in life the way they do to a mediocre Rangers performance. They simply can't be, the city would be at a standstill!

But I do think it's just worth remembering when you hear or see something that frustrates you that way that it's just how some people react to football.

You have me at a disadvantage when you say there were posters conceding the title when we went a goal down yesterday. If you read it in the match thread, then fair enough, I won't be trawling the thread to prove you wrong. That's not negativity, that's just plain bonkers.

My attitude is quite simple. When they (the team) and individuals play well, then they get praise. I ain't burying my head in the sand when it is the other way around though.

And the bottom line is, unless you want to include Dunfermline, and personally I don't, then possibly the first league match apart, we haven't put together a proper or cohesive ninety minute performance all season. Surely that has to be a worry as November approaches?

We all know that no team ever controls a full ninety minutes, but I think most people will get the gist of the argument.

Yesterday sums us up thus far. Truly awful start, slowly, very slowly got to grips as the first half went on and then ripped the opposition in the mind in a three minute burst.

So you would think with having fecked them physically and mentally we would have went for the jugular right from the start of the second half and get that third goal to put the match out of the opposition's reach. Did we? That would be a no. Just the usual pedestrian fare and the Sakala chance apart, no real chances made.

So how did it end? I missed the seven minutes injury time as I had go out. But by all accounts on here, we were hanging on and had to defend a needlesss corner with basically the last kick of the ball. Against ten men at that.

It's simply unacceptable and if that's being negative, then so be it.

Well Celtic were certainly seriously fortunate to steal a win a couple of weeks ago against the worst Aberdeen side in decades, but that was hailed as a great victory.

Goodwin is a good manager, who has recruited well and has his team well coached and well organised.

Don't forget it took a wonder strike from Borna to win in our first visit there last season and then they dumped us out the League Cup, so I was happy to walk out of there yesterday with a victory.

For the record, we actually increased our lead at the top of the league this weekend, although you'd never know it, going by some of the negativity about us and ridiculous positivity about them.
You can kid yourself on all you want about increasing our lead at the top of the table this weekend.

Last Saturday morning we were six ahead of the filth. Right now we are only four ahead of them

That is the only top of the table lead that counts. And well you know it.

Oh, and you won't be getting any positivity about the filth from me.

You can kid yourself on all you want about increasing our lead at the top of the table this weekend.

Last Saturday morning we were six ahead of the filth. Right now we are only four ahead of them

That is the only top of the table lead that counts. And well you know it.

Oh, and you won't be getting any positivity about the filth from me.

That's true, but the scum will continue to drop more points than us.

They simply aren't good enough to sustain a challenge over the full season.

I think we just thought this season would be the same as last. When the reality is it’s actually quite nerve wracking.

We have a support of 50,000 people who regularly attend games.... it is a hell of a mix of people who go to games let alone post online, kind of expect a mixed bag of views to be fair.

I totally agree with yesterday, i said before the game we always get a difficult game there and its not a fixture i look forward to, maybe its because coming from Renfrewshire i have a serious dislike for that team.
Other than the Tony Mowbray game the tims usually get a comfortable ride there but since the days of Alex Ferguson St Mirren is always a challenging away fixture for Rangers.
I watched that Aberdeen game and the worst sheep side in years had them on the ropes in the 2nd half when the tims scored with their only effort on target in the 2nd half. Unfortunately that seems to have acted as a springboard for them in the following 3 games.

I’m actually going through this at the moment. I disagreed with a nationalist on here and now he’s sent a photo of himself to the Spotlight Facebook page with his phone number asking for a fight. It’s gave us a good laugh to be honest but there’s definitely some strange individuals out there.

Folk like that wouldn't turn up if offering sqaure go over internet.

Absolute clowns, why does he wanna fight you anyways?

That's true, but the scum will continue to drop more points than us.

They simply aren't good enough to sustain a challenge over the full season.
This is a bold statement IMO

Granted we’re ahead of them by 4 just now but going forward, they’re ticking far better than we are. They’re scoring goals and creating plenty of chances every game.

We either create very little and grind out a win like yesterday, or like last week we create lots of chances but aren’t very clinical and it bites us in the arse.

Last season we had a solid defence that barely conceded however, that’s long disappeared and we’re conceding nearly every league game now meaning there’s more pressure on us to score goals

Their defence was a shambles however, there can be no denying that it seems to have settled down in the last few weeks hence why they’ve racked up a few clean sheets in a row.

I have said I fancy us to win the league but IMO we really have to get the finger out pronto because we’re nearly in November and haven’t yet managed to put a decent performance in for 90 minutes in a game.

I thought they’d be worse than they have been this season tbh although I did say last month if they sorted their leaky defence out, IMO they could go on a run of wins as going forward they’re ticking. They’ve now put a few wins in a row at what we felt were tricky away venues before they went to Aberdeen.

They now have Hibs away who are in poor form and we then have to follow suit with these venues soon enough and given the way we’re playing, I’d be lying if I said I am confident of going to Motherwell, Aberdeen and Hibs and taking maximum points purely as we have no idea what Rangers are going to turn up

The match thread had many posters giving up after St. Mirren scored; this cannot be denied. Apart from myself, I can't recall anyone believing there was still time; with 85 minutes to go!

Was a boy behind us at the game shouting %^*& sake morelos ya fat bastard, tavernier your a dick etc. Dunno what they think they will acheive with it.
Not real fans in my opinion but we seem to have a fair few when it isn’t going well. The same guys probably shouted similar when we were winning multiple titles under Walter etc, it’s just the way some people are.

Not saying the team can’t be criticised, we started off absolutely shocking yesterday and the team should know it, however insults and swearing to the level you’d give to the opposition is brutal.

Just to add, it might come from the fact that the last few seasons when we went behind we seemed to collapse and struggle, but that’s Hibs, St Johnstone and St mirren recently we’ve went behind and battled back to a win. We need to as a support, realise this team is good enough to fight back and win, look at how rampant we were after Roofes goal yesterday and how good the fans were. They go hand in hand, and the players feel the tension and negativity from the stands. We as fans can actually spur the team on to win and have an influence, but some folk just want to moan the entire game.

There are some genuinely deranged takes out there.

St Mirren had a total of four shots in the entire game. Only one of those was in the second half - that Curtis Main header which went about three miles wide and was nearly impossible to score from.

We completely limited St Mirren yesterday - it was the type of defensive performance we put in last season, when we set records for our defensive performances.

If that isn’t good enough for you defensively, then no team ever will be. There won’t be any other teams that were as comfortable as us last weekend.

The unbeaten season has led to people needing to recalibrate their expectations. This team is currently on course for 87 points this season, and we’re doing that with a lot of injuries to key players and while we’re unlucky in front of goal. This is generally what most league title seasons look like at this stage of proceedings.

No idea mate , however the negativity on here is unbelievable.

I honestly wonder if these posters are as negativity in the rest of their life and if they are then how the %^*& do they actually get through each day

This is a bold statement IMO

Granted we’re ahead of them by 4 just now but going forward, they’re ticking far better than we are. They’re scoring goals and creating plenty of chances every game.

We either create very little and grind out a win like yesterday, or like last week we create lots of chances but aren’t very clinical and it bites us in the arse.

Last season we had a solid defence that barely conceded however, that’s long disappeared and we’re conceding nearly every league game now meaning there’s more pressure on us to score goals

Their defence was a shambles however, there can be no denying that it seems to have settled down in the last few weeks hence why they’ve racked up a few clean sheets in a row.

I have said I fancy us to win the league but IMO we really have to get the finger out pronto because we’re nearly in November and haven’t yet managed to put a decent performance in for 90 minutes in a game.

I thought they’d be worse than they have been this season tbh although I did say last month if they sorted their leaky defence out, IMO they could go on a run of wins as going forward they’re ticking. They’ve now put a few wins in a row at what we felt were tricky away venues before they went to Aberdeen.

They now have Hibs away who are in poor form and we then have to follow suit with these venues soon enough and given the way we’re playing, I’d be lying if I said I am confident of going to Motherwell, Aberdeen and Hibs and taking maximum points purely as we have no idea what Rangers are going to turn up

They still have a squad that's somewhat lacking in numbers, though.

A good mate of mine is a Celtic supporter and I remember saying to him early on this season that if they lined up without McGregor and Kyogo they'd be struggling. That happened and they barely picked up a point.

We have players who make us better as well, obviously, but we've seen already this season that domestically we can still grind out results even when we're missing a few. We even done exactly that against that lot. I don't believe they have that at the moment, and there will be games where they have injuries and suspensions affecting them.

BTW, we WERE very poor in the opening 20 mins and the players deserved criticism. Unless I'm reading the OP wrong that isn't what he's talking about.

I think he means the guys who revel in it - AWK etc. It's when they are at their happiest. They usually vanish when we pull it back.
100% what I took. We were poor for 20 minutes then after that it wasn’t really in doubt that we were going to take the points IMO. First half was the best and worst of us.

What I think the OP is right about is as you say those who revel in it. Some would rather be able to say “told you so” than celebrate the win. It’s infuriating, same as when people only look at the result and decide how we played when it doesn’t always correlate.

Too many pantie wetters in the support expect Rangers to turn up & win 4-0 every single week.

Was a boy behind us at the game shouting %^*& sake morelos ya fat bastard, tavernier your a dick etc. Dunno what they think they will acheive with it.
Away games are for getting geared up mate not for supporting Rangers.

Btw I’m not saying you can’t get full of it and get behind the team, but there’s no denying that getting full of it is the whole point of it.

By the way - if anyone is seriously concerned about this title, you can get Celtic at 7/4.

Of course, there’s a reason Celtic are 7/4 and we’re 4/9.

We’ve seen the very best and worst as Rangers supporters, and nothing much else in between. Everything has to be either brilliant, or shit.

Definitely and when someone starts playing well like Patterson or Lundstrum then that obviously means Tav and Davis are shit.

People just experience the journey in different ways, is all. I am working hard to remember that.

I still struggle with some opinions people have days after games when they aren't as nervous or emotionally involved as they would be during one, but again, who am I to tell anyone how they should experience football?

I would hope some people don't react to everything in life the way they do to a mediocre Rangers performance. They simply can't be, the city would be at a standstill!

But I do think it's just worth remembering when you hear or see something that frustrates you that way that it's just how some people react to football.

I'm a bag of nerves watching really big away games on tv, the smaller games like yesterday not so but still shout at tv (which my wife finds both amusing and annoying, especially as my language can be quite colourful).

I would say I'm quite a negative/pessimistic Bear. An example was last Thursday's game against Brondby. The consensus of opinion is that we played well but I think otherwise, I thought it was just another plodding performance against a very mediocre opponent. Aribo was held up as being magnificent by almost everyone but I was less than impressed, lots of fancy footwork 40 yards from goal and holding on to the ball far too long didn't impress me.

As you say we are all allowed our opinions (no matter how wrong they may be!!!), it would be a dull, boring and very strange place if all us Bears agreed with each other too often.

Last edited:
I'm a bag of nerves watching really big away games on tv, the smaller games like yesterday not so but still shout at tv (which my wife finds both amusing and annoying, especially as my language can be quite colourful).

I would say I'm quite a negative/pessimistic Bear. An examole was last Thursday's game against Brondby. The consensus of opinion is that we played well but I think otherwise, I thought it was just another plodding performance against a very mediocre opponent. Aribo was held up as being magnificent by almost everyone but I was less than impressed, lots of fancy footwork 40 yards from goal and holding in to the ball far too long didn't impress me.

As you say we are all allowed our opinions (no matter how wrong they may be!!!), it would be a dull, boring and very strange place if all us Bears agreed with each other too often.
Aribo frustrates the life out of me, he has sensational ability but we only see it in glimpses.

There were plenty of performances last season that weren’t dissimilar to yesterday and Brondby. We were comfortable for the vast majority of both games.
Selective memory for many fans. We weren’t world beaters last season - we got on a run and built up momentum. There are signs we are about to do the same.

Good straw man ;)

Doesn’t defend your ridiculous first post at all

We have pulled clear in the league, in the semi finals of the League Cup, in with a great chance of going through from our Europa League group.

We have a superb management team! I for one am very positive and happy :))

Last edited:
100% what I took. We were poor for 20 minutes then after that it wasn’t really in doubt that we were going to take the points IMO. First half was the best and worst of us.

What I think the OP is right about is as you say those who revel in it. Some would rather be able to say “told you so” than celebrate the win. It’s infuriating, same as when people only look at the result and decide how we played when it doesn’t always correlate.
One guy bumped the Hibs match thread after we dropped points to Hearts to get it up me for a point I hadn’t even made

it's the sad thing about todays instant comments online.
In the past you would watch the game with your dad or friends and have a go at Amoruso or who ever was not pulling their weight that day.
By the end of the match you had forgotten about it and your comments to your pal were a distant memory and Amoruso was a hero again.
Now the words you wrote in the heat of the moment, or sometimes hours after the game but a few beers down you are on line on FF for all to see.

Back