Why are we the way we are?

The off field commercial approach seems to be a well set out strategy showing year on year improvement . But where is the football one ? Mediocre English championship players being given eye watering contracts , a playing wage bill higher than the tinks and no stranger strategy for cashing in on assets like Morelos, Kent etc highlights dreadful mismanagement. We have no Scottish identity anymore , I want to see more investment in identifying Scottish talent who know our club and what it means, along with young hungry foreign players we can sell on for profit, we can’t keep letting squads go on the cheap in 2 year cycles , it’s madness.
Yes, the commercial side has improved and EH is now a massive asset bringing in regular revenue to the Club. This commercial mentality has to translate to the pitch now.

We’ve been unbelievably patient but also have continued to step up and put money into the club. I think we’re at a tipping point this close season with them.
They're all just guys in suits to me generally speaking mate but if even I am losing patience then there's an issue. We can only hope the relatively recent departures and appointments / promotions are what we have needed.

Weak boardroom and a toxicity around our ‘brand’ just at the point we needed major investment. Instead we got the fat cockney lady's front bottom for a few years.

If you were a cynic you’d say that the operation was never about killing us off, but instead to have us still around and bringing money into the Scottish game but in no position to consistently win things.

Hard to see it changing without the boardroom and investment still being addressed. The massive issues on the park won’t be addressed until off the park is sorted out.

We’ve become what we always had over them and they’ve become what we always were:

We are now going to be the second most successful club in the world

We are now not the premier club in Scottish football.

We are now not winners even when we play poorly.

We are now the second best team in old firm games and it’s become normal.

Our board continue to deliver and except mediocrity whilst charging a fortune for the pleasure.

The only good thing is in about 5 years when they are on 8 in a row you might be able to get two season tickets together finally, the only plus point.

Although people are going on about 2012 then the spiv era. The simple fact is that short term all we had to do in the last 2 months was beat Motherwell at home, then Dundee and Ross County and we would be 2 wins away from a Title and the CL money that would’ve funded a rebuild.

Then the failure to back SG when Celtic were a riot and had just started a rebuild of their own.

These are both short term issues that we have created ourselves and Celtic have took full advantage of our failings

We’ve become what we always had over them and they’ve become what we always were:

Our board continue to deliver and except mediocrity whilst charging a fortune for the pleasure.

The only good thing is in about 5 years when they are on 8 in a row you might be able to get two season tickets together finally, the only plus point.
Some might say you are overreacting but I don’t think you’re that far from the truth on this. We are in danger of becoming the second club and I think it’ll happen if we fail on recruitment this summer. Someone made a good point yesterday - if it hadn’t been for 55 they’d have been on 13 in a row!

Weak boardroom and a toxicity around our ‘brand’ just at the point we needed major investment. Instead we got the fat cockney lady's front bottom for a few years.

If you were a cynic you’d say that the operation was never about killing us off, but instead to have us still around and bringing money into the Scottish game but in no position to consistently win things.

Hard to see it changing without the boardroom and investment still being addressed. The massive issues on the park won’t be addressed until off the park is sorted out.
We spent 15 million on players last year.

Was just about to say that.
Needs to be sorted asap and I think it will be.

Signing / extending contracts of older English players who have interest from lower EPL / top end championship clubs has to stop.

Goldson, Davies, Lundstrum, Lawrence - all paid a fortune and not giving anywhere near the return on the wages they command.

That's easy over 100K a week for guys who are slow and cumbersome for the most part.

Edit - forgot Roofe. There's about 25k a week for no return for the last 2 years.

I think we have prioritised playing a certain way over winning. The days of old we had unfashionable work horses who would grind out results. We need to go back to having a team of mentality monsters ahead of everything else.

We also need a Scottish spine on and off the park. People who are committed to the club long term.

Signing / extending contracts of older English players who have interest from lower EPL / top end championship clubs has to stop.

Goldson, Davies, Lundstrum, Lawrence - all paid a fortune and not giving anywhere near the return on the wages they command.

That's easy over 100K a week for guys who are slow and cumbersome for the most part.
Add to that Roofe and Jack so takes us up to £140k probably

We could get young spfl players who'd be on a fraction of that and would be better players.

We’ve been sleepwalking into it for years

The amount of times I’ve been ranting like a lunatic on the bus home after defeats after cup knockouts, on twitter calling out the shite, but so many fans haven’t cared.

“Overreacting”, “we’ll be fine next season”, “Celtic are shite tae”, all the usual bullshit excuses.

Well here we are. The penny is finally starting to drop with most that they are going to overtake us.

The problem is, no one at the club will care other than the support

We’ve been sleepwalking into it for years

The amount of times I’ve been ranting like a lunatic on the bus home after defeats after cup knockouts, on twitter calling out the shite, but so many fans haven’t cared.

“Overreacting”, “we’ll be fine next season”, “Celtic are shite tae”, all the usual bullshit excuses.

Well here we are. The penny is finally starting to drop with most that they are going to overtake us.

The problem is, no one at the club will care other than the support
And, I hate to say this, we have no unifying voice or way to get this message across to the Board.

i tend to take a rather simplistic view to most things in life, and for me if things are not going as we think they should , then focus attention on those at the top,if things at the top of any organisation are not functioning to the very best that they should, then that will filter its way down the line,

Scottish football revolves around two teams. When one gets treated the way we were in 2012 then it is inevitable a huge gap opens. Celtic were given a straight entry to CL cash for nearly a decade.

The 55 season should have been the start of the reset although Kings wild statement about Celtic folding like a pack of cards wasn’t helpful for fan expectations. We should have won the EL but we definitely looked like Rangers again.

We had the perfect window in terms of cash coming in but didn’t back GVB despite CL qualification. Beale was a disaster and he reversed all the momentum by having a dreadful summer window where we signed some very average players and didn’t replace those on their last legs.

Our hands were tied in the Jan window either by FFP or that we simply didn’t have the cash. Despite that we worked the loan system well and the league was there for the taking. Disaster struck with the worst injury crisis I can remember. Yesterday we could have had a front three of Cortes, Danilo and Sima.
Absolutely spot on mate. For me we go back to malmo failure and letting Kent and morelos leave for nothing. All disasters with long term implications we are still suffering from

Fundamentally it comes down to mismanagement from the board, through to the manager.

The last managerial appointment they got right was Gerrard. He had a club to rebuild when he came in and he done it and won 55. Since then, the board have failed to kick us on and have instead allowed us to regress to where we are now, aided further by poor managerial appointments.

I’d argue Gio could have worked out if they’d backed him properly, but they didn’t so that’ll just remain a question mark. Beale was a shockingly bad appointment and in time, I’m not sure Clement will turn out much better based on what I’m seeing currently.

That’s all on the board who’ve made those decisions.

When you then look at those in charge day to day (the manager), you can see why we don’t progress much.

Gio - Tactically astute in Europe which culminated in a miraculous run to the final, however rather tepid domestically with the personnel he had. Would have been interested to see how he’d done with his own players though as he did have tactical nous as he showed in the Seville run.

Beale - Less said the better. Just a guy with a tongue that was happy to wag and no real idea what he was doing.

Clement - Started well and looked the real deal but a worrying capitulation since Motherwell at home and now saying some rather concerning stuff. Really concerned he doesn’t have a defined style of play and consequently we resort to hoof ball. Has a chance this summer to finally carry out a decent rebuild of this squad but has a lot to prove.

It’s frustrating but it is what it is.

2012. The ramifications are still being felt and will likely still be the case for a while to come. I'm sure we will get back to winning ways, but it will take time.
Correct we've never fully recovered from 2012,
Far too many spivs got involved that stopped any chance of financial stability for years. Imo we are are still feeling it.

Let’s be honest for a second, it’s been extremely difficult to be a Rangers fan the past 15 years. Even the last few title wins under Walter we knew dark days were ahead, although no one could imagine how dark they’ve been. With the exception of 55 and getting to the Europa League final it’s been bleak. Even at that 55 was won with no fans and we lost the final.

My question is why is it we keep getting dragged back into these awful situations? We’ve been back in the top flight for some time. Since then we’ve been in a constant loop of building for something that’s returned next to nothing domestically. We spend a fortune for no success, sell some players, lose some players for free then spend a fortune again. How long can this continue for before the club cannot afford to buy new players?

Although the fans are loyal and we keep putting our hands in our pockets for season tickets, merchandise and hospitality I feel people are at their wits end with the team. Another year for any of Tav, Goldson, Roofe or a contract for Lundstram or Jack will send many over the edge.

How do we break this horrendous cycle?
Our board made monumental errors with appointments like Caxinha, Murty, Beale which would've cost huge amounts of money to rectify. We managed to win the league under Gerrard and we didn't strengthen when we were in a great position and Celtic did and began to dominate again. Clement came in and had us in a great position but we didn't sign a goalscorer in the January window whilst we had two in our own league right under our noses in Miovski and Shankland. We haven't had a manager since Gerrard that had the ability to beat Celtic regularly and until that changes it's unlikely we'll start winning league titles and if it continues the way it's going we'll start seeing attendances dropping because our fans simply won't accept being 2nd best so the board have a huge job on their hands.

Failed to back Gerrard yet gave his replacements a small fortune to waste. We're mismanaged all over the place

Gerrard was well backed with us and that's where the problems started. Bids for Alfie and Kent knocked back, £32m spent on players on transfer fees with no major sale in his time here numerous frees and loans brought in. Highest fee we got back in his time with us was for Windass at £2.5m and we were carrying a squad size of 34/35 and he wanted more players.

He was more than backed in his time with us and after the Malmo defeat there was nothing to back him with as the accounts showed.

Those extra 10000 seats would have helped so much. Shocker of a decision to put the screens in instead.
I think the screens were cheaper to put in and you can advertise on them and stuff.

Also now they are used for VAR and the likes.

I don't particularly like them and would have loved more seats but although it contributes financially ie celtic have 10k more - as a whole its just a small part of the problem.

Madrid, Juventus, and a fair few English teams have smaller grounds than their rivals however they are run better and have better income generation and don't have the raft of financial issues we have had over the last 12 years

Let’s be honest for a second, it’s been extremely difficult to be a Rangers fan the past 15 years. Even the last few title wins under Walter we knew dark days were ahead, although no one could imagine how dark they’ve been. With the exception of 55 and getting to the Europa League final it’s been bleak. Even at that 55 was won with no fans and we lost the final.

My question is why is it we keep getting dragged back into these awful situations? We’ve been back in the top flight for some time. Since then we’ve been in a constant loop of building for something that’s returned next to nothing domestically. We spend a fortune for no success, sell some players, lose some players for free then spend a fortune again. How long can this continue for before the club cannot afford to buy new players?

Although the fans are loyal and we keep putting our hands in our pockets for season tickets, merchandise and hospitality I feel people are at their wits end with the team. Another year for any of Tav, Goldson, Roofe or a contract for Lundstram or Jack will send many over the edge.

How do we break this horrendous cycle?
We find good Scottish players, look at the players we could have gotten but rejected. To often we don’t play our own youngsters, we seem to want other teams to bring on younger players and then too late we move. Academy? What’s the point

Gerrard was well backed with us and that's where the problems started. Bids for Alfie and Kent knocked back, £32m spent on players on transfer fees with no major sale in his time here numerous frees and loans brought in. Highest fee we got back in his time with us was for Windass at £2.5m and we were carrying a squad size of 34/35 and he wanted more players.

He was more than backed in his time with us and after the Malmo defeat there was nothing to back him with as the accounts showed.
After the feel good factor of winning 55 and the excitement of getting ourselves back on top and getting new signings we got Bacuna. There were loads of names mentioned a possible quality signings Veerman, Olsen, Doekhi to name a few and we got Bacuna, it was hardly backing. As a club the board have mismanaged us on a grand scale and they need to sort it and fast.

Failed to back Gerrard yet gave his replacements a small fortune to waste. We're mismanaged all over the place

Gerrard was front loaded, he signed over 40 players, trebled our wage bill.

Didn’t sell a first team player and left us a squad full of squad players.

When he left we had to sell Aribo, Bassey, Patterson to basically keep the lights on. All because he basically sh@t the bed at halftime V ten man Malmo in the Champions League qualifier,

After the feel good factor of winning 55 and the excitement of getting ourselves back on top and getting new signings we got Bacuna. There were loads of names mentioned a possible quality signings Veerman, Olsen, Doekhi to name a few and we got Bacuna, it was hardly backing. As a club the board have mismanaged us on a grand scale and they need to sort it and fast.

The blank cheque was sitting there to be signed.

Champions League qualifier sitting all square at Ibrox being 1-0 on the night. 45 minutes and extra time if needed v 10 men. Gerrard sh@t the bed.

You can only attract players of the quality you mention with Champions League football not money alone to come to Scotland.

Veerman would have cost us €11m at the time never ever realistic target for us and I don't think Skov-Olsen was ever a thing think it was just all on here and Doekhi was Gio. On Bacuna the Huddersfield chairman at the time said we tried to get him the previous transfer window so was always one Gerrard wanted.

The club had lost £23.5m due to COVID with no fans in the ground for league and European games etc so with no major sale in that period and losing to 10 men Malmo there was zero. Throw in Kings battles with sports direct/Ashley etc the board had to pick that up when King left the club.

Veerman would have cost us €11m at the time never ever realistic target for us and I don't think Skov-Olsen was ever a thing think it was just all on here and Doekhi was Gio.

The club had lost £23.5m due to COVID with no fans in the ground for league and European games etc so with no major sale in that period and losing to 10 men Malmo there was zero. Throw in Kings battles with sports direct/Ashley etc the board had to pick that up when King left the club.
If we don't back the manager we'll continue to be 2nd. We missed a huge opportunity after 55 and missed another huge opportunity this season and we failed to sign Miovski or Shankland in January . It's my opinion but if we don't start beating them attendances will start dropping as that has got to be the worst Celtic team to win the league.

Veerman would have cost us €11m at the time never ever realistic target for us and I don't think Skov-Olsen was ever a thing think it was just all on here and Doekhi was Gio. On Bacuna the Huddersfield chairman at the time said we tried to get him the previous transfer window so was always one Gerrard wanted.

During Covid the fans all paid their season ticket knowing they wouldn't get into Ibrox , and mygers . We packed Ibrox in the 3rd div and the club won't even give us a friendly as part of our season ticket deal . We're treated like mugs , and they know we'll keep paying

2012 didn't only have the impact of nearly destroying us. It also gave Celtic a ridiculous advantage that we haven't caught up yet. They have been able to spend silly amounts on their squad compared to us and have large cash reserves, where as despite our revenue now being similar, we have had lots of infrastructure stuff to also spend on due to the crooks we had in charge running the club into the ground.

On the field we are back to turning in seasons which historically are around title winning points averages - but we also need that lot to have a poorer season too, which they have only really done twice since we have genuinely been in a state to be competing for the title.

The is the root cause.

However the Board also need to look at the appointments of Pedro and Beale and the money they spunked.

Recruitment is massively important when you are playing catch up and signings even like Ridvan are not thought out or researched and invariably we give out contracts to players who will not leave.
Anybody see Dessers get a better deal elsewhere?

Preseason is going to be super tricky as always.

We spent 15 million on players last year.
I’m not sure what your point is mate, not trying to be snide. We could spend £30m on players each year and if it’s the wrong board with the wrong football management structure under them then it still won’t win us anything.

It might have taken him a wee while to straighten it out, but it’s no coincidence that the only time we had the balls to appoint a proper winner to run the team and backed him from top to bottom of the football structure was the time we won the league in recent years. We learned nothing from it though and drifted backwards again. That’s on the board for me.

This constant merry go round of managers is killing us.

You end up with managers constantly wanting to chop and change everything. Being forced to buy loads of new players all at once, instead of gradually introducing one or two quality new faces each season.

If we don’t stick with one manager for a decent period of time (as we did with Gerrard) this is just going to go on and on.

Lastly, all of the above is down to the board. They make the managerial appointments and sanction the player purchases.

If we don't back the manager we'll continue to be 2nd. We missed a huge opportunity after 55 and missed another huge opportunity this season and we failed to sign Miovski or Shankland in January . It's my opinion but if we don't start beating them attendances will start dropping as that has got to be the worst Celtic team to win the league.

And we couldn't afford a striker in January Shankland would have cost £4m+ and the Sheep wanted more than £6m for Miovski. Even if we did sign them no guarentee they would have won us the league either.

That's fine if that's your opinion but in reality he failed to beat 10 men Malmo which cost the club millions of pounds. That's on Gerrard nobody else and as i said factor in the money the club lost over that period of time on top of no player sale they had nothing to back him with.

We are too loyal to players that are past it. We need to move these guys on quicker. Who cares if they were good players for us in the past there comes a time to move them out.

And we couldn't afford a striker in January Shankland would have cost £4m+ and the Sheep wanted more than £6m for Miovski. Even if we did sign them no guarentee they would have won us the league either.

That's fine if that's your opinion but in reality he failed to beat 10 men Malmo which cost the club millions of pounds. That's on Gerrard nobody else and as i said factor in the money the club lost over that period of time on top of no player sale they had nothing to back him with.
Agree on the January signings - these weren't realistic at all. I'd like to see us sign a couple of younger Scottish players this summer.

I don't know about the past few years but this season we would probably have won the league had it not been for a shocking injury list. We have to fix the injury jinx.

The Malmo result was a massive disappointment as was yesterday's but we have to find a way of getting these results to turn in our favour and the only way to do that is signing better quality players.

Great post OP. I feel exactly the same and I feel it won’t be long before we’re celebrating the odd League Cup win like it’s a huge achievement because we are so starved of success.

55 and Seville are very much feeling like outliers in amongst years of mediocrity
Winning 55 and getting to Seville was time to invest in the winning team. Instead board took back their soft loan money and the initiative was gone.

The focus on a striker is looking in the wrong places. Dessers has scored 13 goals since the winter break.

Do we really think another striker would have scored more?

Injuries totally screwed us.

Ridvan, Cortes, Sima and Matondo meant we lost all our dynamism from wide areas. Doesn't matter what other no9 we had, without goals from the wide areas we are going to struggle.

The focus on a striker is looking in the wrong places. Dessers has scored 13 goals since the winter break.

Ridvan, Cortes, Sima and Matondo meant we lost all our dynamism from wide areas. Doesn't matter what other no9 we had, without goals from the wide areas we are going to struggle.
And a very tired defence.

If you don't have the money then you can't buy quality, we have been stuck with loanees and journeymen for too long and they only get you so far, that's why the league hasn't been won. The two best things about Rangers now are the manager and Butland, build out from the back with the retention of about 6 or 7 and between Clement and Koppen they can have a serious charge at 56 next year, now is the time to clear the decks and for Clement to show his worth; optimistic about the future with Phil in charge.

I think the biggest issue is a simple one. Theres not enough winners in the squad. I can guarantee you there will be players in that dressing room right now thinking weve had a good season and the fans are being harsh.

To change it you need to establish a core of winners. Its often interchangable with "Scottish" players, but truthfully they can come from anywhere. We need to sign players who relish the pressures of competing for trophies.

The old guard in this team have the talent, they simply dont have the mentality

Injuries haven't helped us at all this season and you're right but so many had convinced themselves it was Shankland and league title guarenteed. It's a whole mix of things anyway but on this season you can't lose 3 games in the league by end of September and expect to win it. Piles the pressure on to ensure you get results against them and in the end the pressure plus injuries/fitness have taken its toll.

2012 was the obvious point to start, and the recovery from that.

Since we have been back in the top league we have been poorly run from boardroom level to the dugout and we’ve wasted a lot of money on poor players. Politically we’re also miles behind the filth.

My bigger concern is the attitude amongst some, and I do wonder if it extends to the boardroom sometimes that “ach well it will be our turn soon, and football just goes in cycles.”

That only holds true is you make it your time by getting the right people at the club and by investing wisely. Even then football has moved on, finance is everything and the gap between us and them is getting bigger. I hate to say it but they are the model for us from a financial aspect and player trading model. They seem much better run at every level.

You look around Europe and the majority of the time the richest club wins their league with the odd exception. Just thinking it will be our turn soon is dangerous and I said on here a few years ago I wasn’t optimistic about the short or medium future for Rangers. Unfortunately nothing has changed my mind and indeed has played out that way in recent years, and being second best could become the new normal for us unless something dramatic changes.

2012. The ramifications are still being felt and will likely still be the case for a while to come. I'm sure we will get back to winning ways, but it will take time.

We’ve won a title, been to a European final, and have a similar or higher wage bill than them.

If we had recruited better players and better managers, no one would be saying the ramifications of 2012 were affecting us.

Back