Willie Collum appointed as new Head of Refereeing

It actually saddens me that the support just accept the nonsense every season from refs, and don't want to make a fuss in case they are " laughed at ".

Even from a business point of view, we are being done over for 10's of millions of pounds.
Totally agree.

Being conditioned by Sutton, Stewart, BBC Scotland, Clyde and such morons shouldn't be for anyone. They set a corrupt narrative instead of calling it out

The club simply can't afford to continue to do next to nothing.

It actually saddens me that the support just accept the nonsense every season from refs, and don't want to make a fuss in case they are " laughed at ".

Even from a business point of view, we are being done over for 10's of millions of pounds.
Thing is we're being laughed at no matter what we do.

The wording of the statement re his appointment is quite incredible. You'd think they've miraculously pulled off a major coup. Applications the world over apparently, but somehow Willie Collum beat them all to land the job. Not read through the entire thread but I'd imagine..."they're just trolling us now"...has appeared on several occasions and they wouldn't be wrong. Sickening really. We really are all on our own in this poxy country.

Collum, the ref the SFA themselves demoted twice and is not respected by his peers at UEFA or FIFA, is apparently the only candidate. Its utterly embarrassing the corruption at play.

Oh well it explains why he’s so soft towards that lot. It would have destroyed his wee promotion if he didn’t tow the Lawwell line

Of course the SFA / SPFL media would laugh at us complaining. Its been like that for as long as I can remember. It is because they don't take us seriously.

Our entire approach to refs needs overhauled, and should be a major focus of every pre-match press conference. If a certain ref has done us over before, then publicly mention it with a dig that we hope he has improved since then.

We are hopeless on this issue.
it's against the rules to talk about the ref in the pre match press conference.

A full scale attack on referees would unite the rest of Scottish football and the media against us.

The idea that this would do some good misunderstands the way we are perceived in Scottish football. We have no support amongst the other clubs. Look at the several attempts we have had at getting rid of Doncaster. All failed in the face of overwhelming evidence of his incompetence.

A public slagging of referees would do no good. Also not the right thing to do. We don’t change anything by being more like them. We can’t out do them on sleekedness they are generations ahead of us. Nor should we.

The boil has to be lanced regarding refs, mate.

What other clubs or the media say or do is irrelevant. As you say, we are on our own, and should act in our own interests. Building bridges with other clubs has been a colossal failure. They don't want to know.

We don't have to take on the SFA or SPFL either.

We simply operate on a game by game basis and should publicly request that the ref should be fair and impartial. That's all we need to do at every pre-match press conference.

The have no interest in making Scottish football better, they are there to serve one club and one club only

Today we have more proof of this

The boil has to be lanced regarding refs, mate.

What other clubs or the media say or do is irrelevant. As you say, we are on our own, and should act in our own interests. Building bridges with other clubs has been a colossal failure. They don't want to know.

We don't have to take on the SFA or SPFL either.

We simply operate on a game by game basis and should publicly request that the ref should be fair and impartial. That's all we need to do at every pre-match press conference.
Agree things have to change. But what exactly would you have the club do and what do you think the path to change actually is?

Not trying to be a smart arse at all here. I just can’t see a way of not making it worse.

Agree things have to change. But what exactly would you have the club do and what do you think the path to change actually is?

Not trying to be a smart arse at all here. I just can’t see a way of not making it worse.

It can't get any worse, mate.

Collum was praised for awarding an incorrect penalty at the piggery just last week and for red carding Lundstram for a challenge that he wouldn't dare issue even a yellow to Calum McGregor.

It can't get any worse, mate.

Collum was praised for awarding an incorrect penalty at the piggery just last week and for red carding Lundstram for a challenge that he wouldn't dare issue even a yellow to Calum McGregor.
Lundstram tackle was a clear red card. It can get a whole lot worse. We publicly slag them off they will close rank and we will see the situation deteriorate.

There would be a media campaign against us. Make Clements job a lot more difficult.

Its also against the rules to talk about refs post-match and at AGM's, mate, and it happens every season. In fact, Rodgers was talking about Beaton at his not so long ago.

I don't get your point.
It's not against the rules to talk about refs post match , you cant say they were biased or incompetent which Rodgers got banned for .

Collum, the ref the SFA themselves demoted twice and is not respected by his peers at UEFA or FIFA, is apparently the only candidate. Its utterly embarrassing the corruption at play.
And by contrast the FA have a former referee who was the referee of the 2010 World Cup Final and is recognised by his peers as one of the best ever referees as their Head of Referees.
Remember Collum was ridiculed by numerous foreign commentators due to his ineptitude before being ‘overlooked’ for appointment to European and International games for a number of years now.

And by contrast the FA have a former referee who was the referee of the 2010 World Cup Final and is recognised by his peers as one of the best ever referees as their Head of Referees.
Remember Collum was ridiculed by numerous foreign commentators due to his ineptitude before being ‘overlooked’ for appointment to European and International games for a number of years now.

Willie Collum almost started a riot at a game abroad, due to endless basic mistakes.

Our politics in Scotland are corrupt, as are our Courts. Sport has now joined that club.

Great, the new head of referees just happens to be the guy who gives us nothing and who we recently requested be removed from any involvement in our games.

The same guy who a few months back was the only man in the country that thought Johnston slapping the ball out of play was not hand ball.

I`m almost certain now that it will come out in a few years that there's some kind of match fixing or something untoward with the referees and them like in Italy a few years back.

It`s the only way to explain the bizarre behaviours we see from the refs and the authorities here. Incompetent, I could understand, but surely that would mean mistakes both ways, not just significant, consistent mistakes against one club in particular at pivotal points of the season.

First question for the new head of refereeing in Scotland. How many Scottish referees will be at the Euros in June? If the answer is none, what does that say about the standard of referees in Scottish football.

It's not against the rules to talk about refs post match , you cant say they were biased or incompetent which Rodgers got banned for .
Rodgers also spoke about john beaton in his pre match conference which you have stated is against the rules

"Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers says he is comfortable with referee John Beaton being in charge of Sunday’s Old Firm derby with Rangers, despite his withering assessment of the official’s performance the last time he was involved in a Hoops match that led to the Parkhead boss picking up a suspension."

Why didnt Rodgers refuse to answer any questions on Ref appointments then?

He never said Robertson was on his last warning.
Yes he did.

"ONE MORE MISTAKE" That sounds like a warning to me or did you actually think he was offering him career advice? :oops:

Yes he did.

"ONE MORE MISTAKE" That sounds like a warning to me or did you actually think he was offering him career advice?

No he didn't. Read the quotes rather than the headline. Rodgers never said "Robertson is on his last warning "

Let's not make stuff up

Was this job advertised and do we know who applied and was subsequently interviewed for the position?

This information is known about Scotland material appointments so surely the same should apply?

Top referee who knows the system? Neither and a cheat at it so obviously he gets the top role!

Only we can force change I suppose

For people asking what the club should do, the message above is a start.

The club should criticise this appointment as insular and unambitious and argue that foreign referees should be in charge of key fixtures.

Note that Ewan Murray is saying in code what we say rather more colloquially.

We can't do such outrageous things, mate.

Others would laugh at us, apparently.

Youre that guy that thinks we get treated equally in Scottish football arent you! Oh dear!
No i think the majority of them are useless cheating 19th Century Terrorist bastards.

You backing down on saying Rodgers said Robertson was on his last warning?

It is staggering, but unfortunately not surprising.
The key, as mentioned above, is that the current encumbants don’t want anyone from outside in to rock the boat, or see and reveal the level of ineptitude that exists in all facets of the football authorities in Scotland.
How this could ever be viewed as a progressive appointment, is laughable.
At a time where Scottish Football is falling further and further behind the rest of Europe, this for me, just adds another nail in the coffin.

We can't do such outrageous things, mate.

Others would laugh at us, apparently.
They’re laughing at us when we say nothing.

Anything the club does will be criticised.

However, doing nothing shouldn’t be an option. It hasn’t worked in 30 or more years.

First, we have to get proper leadership at the club.

For people asking what the club should do, the message above is a start.

The club should criticise this appointment as insular and unambitious and argue that foreign referees should be in charge of key fixtures.

Note that Ewan Murray is saying in code what we say rather more colloquially.
i wouldnt disagree with Rangers saying something along those lines about the appointment of Collum but I'm not sure what you think it is going to achieve?

Willie Collum almost started a riot at a game abroad, due to endless basic mistakes.

Our politics in Scotland are corrupt, as are our Courts. Sport has now joined that club.
Recall that but couldn’t remember the game. I think it involved Spain. Can you remember teams involved. I seem to recall he was basically binned sine die as a consequence of his incompetence.

The only one mentioning religion is you, mate.

If we don't trust the refs, then we should publicly say so, no matter who they are or whatever religion.

Staying silent is not helping us.
The manager doesnt think the ref's are corrupt though (nor do I, just horrendous) and he has said as much. We therefore wont be calling out anything.

i wouldnt disagree with Rangers saying something along those lines about the appointment of Collum but I'm not sure what you think it is going to achieve?
It would get the message out there that we view the appointment with contempt.

The press will report it and it then becomes a talking point. If we say nothing we appear weak and acquiescent.

Lundstram tackle was a clear red card. It can get a whole lot worse. We publicly slag them off they will close rank and we will see the situation deteriorate.

There would be a media campaign against us. Make Clements job a lot more difficult.
There already is a media campaign against us FFS. It's Kris Boyd vs the world in the media.

We've been getting shafted by the same group of referees since we came back into the SPFL. A couple have left and have been replaced by equally attrocious officials. Nothing changes.

Gerrard tried to call them out after his first game at Pittodrie where Clancy sent Alfie off 8 MINUTES into the season which got recinded but Gerrard got hammered by the SFA.

Back