Win the scottish cup and qualify for CL

Scottish Cup in the grand scheme of things doesn't matter a jot this season - the only reason its of any relevance is because we are playing them in the final.

even if we win a double most fans (correctly) will consider the season a failure.

as for qualifying for the CL - the fair chunk of our current squad will not be here for that next season - to name a few

McLaughlin
Butland (likely)
Jack
Roofe
Borna
Lundstram
Lammers (likely)
Balogun
Hagi (likely)

thats not to mention if Tav / Goldson / Dessers / go.
Butland is likely to leave is he
Ok then

Last edited:
Midfield has had an immense weight placed upon it.

Defensive midfielders have been bailing out the back four.

Complete lack of wide attacking players has left them without options either side.

Agree about the wide attacking players. Particularly on Tav's side which means we are relying on him creating or scoring goals which leaves him exposed. It is no coincidence IMO that we had our best spell when McCausland was regularly in the team providing a balance.

Defensive midfielders are there to assist the back four - bailing out of probably overstating it for me.

Our midfield needs a complete overhaul. Sadly our best midfielder - Ryan Jack - was never available. What a difference he would have made.

Posted this elsewhere but PC has a huge few months coming up.

If he fails to win the SC, that'll be four games versus them and no wins, which in turn, means a lot (more) fans will start to question the appointment given the huge loss of form and results since March.

He's then got CL qualification to secure. Most fans know it's a far from certain given the calibre of opponent but failure here will heap more pressure onto PC, who we expect to have his 'own players' in by this point.

Then he will have a game vs them at the Piggery and another defeat could see that pressure become untenable.

Come Sept and he hasn't won 2 out of these 3 scenarios, 75% of the fans will want him gone imo.
I like the manager but you are spot on here. He must get rid of the losers and that starts with the Captain. If he is retained and the above scenario plays out PC could be out of a job by October.

PC absolutey needs to win the Scottish Cup. The pressure going into a new season without a win against the scum will be off the scale. First game at the dome of secrets, not a great thought!
He really doesn’t, we all know this group of players don’t have the bottle for it

I like the manager but you are spot on here. He must get rid of the losers and that starts with the Captain. If he is retained and the above scenario plays out PC could be out of a job by October.
If the captain is on X amount per week and doesn’t want to go then what?

The question that needs to be asked is, do we feel PC is a manager and the man for the job IMO he is and hasn’t done anything g to suggest he isn’t

So rather than this summer all being about PC it should be focused on the board and with plenty pressure on them to match the prices they charge us to watch the team.

IMO course

This is where I question PC shoehorning Silva out left, and worse Sterling out right.

In my opinion, we should've been raiding the youth team to plug these gaps and kept players in their own positions. Silva rotating with Dessers if necessary, and Sterling in midfield. We've been a shapeless mess for weeks now with too many players playing an unfamiliar position. What about that made anyone expect any consistency?

Hindsight is brilliant and all that and I'm certainly no football manager but I'm puzzled over all this.

If Sterling is fit and he plays him wide right in the final serious questions have to be asked about our manager going forward. If he doubles that up with Lawrence in midfield again then all bets are off. Despite what I read on here I reckon that's one of the worst scum teams for years and that doesn't really say much about us. I will go into the game with a large dose of hope and f*^k all else.

Reactions: TQ3
If Sterling is fit and he plays him wide right in the final serious questions have to be asked about our manager going forward. If he doubles that up with Lawrence in midfield again then all bets are off. Despite what I read on here I reckon that's one of the worst scum teams for years and that doesn't really say much about us. I will go into the game with a large dose of hope and f*^k all else.
Yep, Sterling wide right has been a complete failure and his persistence with it has been mental.

He's picked the wrong team/formation and suffered for it a number of times recently. If he can at least get a coherent system together with players looking comfortable then we might see better performances as a minimum.

If that means involving youth players then please do it!

This squad can't beat Celtic in a meaningful game ffs, when will people learn? It's been 2 fucking years. What do you think is going to change next Saturday?

We need the season over and done with.
We've got their number when it comes to penalties!

He really doesn’t, we all know this group of players don’t have the bottle for it
A lot more fans will start to question his appointment if he doesn't. That would be 4 versus a scum side he won't have won. Immense pressure for the start of the season. Don't kid yourself how quickly things can turn toxic.

A lot more fans will start to question his appointment if he doesn't. That would be 4 versus a scum side he won't have won. Immense pressure for the start of the season. Don't kid yourself how quickly things can turn toxic.
Oh I’m not but it will turn toxic against the board, not all managers are mince mate and clement has won plenty to prove he is a manager so this is on the board

It’s a symptom of where we are. I’m sure I read on here yesterday that since the 60’s, Celtic have won the most trophies in Scotland. That doesn’t surprise me, and I think a lot of people are in for a rude awakening next year sadly with the trophy count.
Rangers as a business needs drastically overhauled and a proper strategy fed in to the way we run the playing squad.

We’re rapidly running out of arguments for being the “biggest” club in Scotland.
Biggest club? You're kidding me. We're the natives, and the vast majority of native football fans support Rangers. Clearly we're the biggest, and the fact that the club has given them a crazy financial advantage courtesy of 10k extra seats for nearly 30yrs (often not filled, but paid for) shows you the lack of leadership and innovation at boardroom level.

You have to speculate to accumulate, and we've failed to even come up with a hair-brained suggestion, let alone a credible one. I'm expecting it can't be done, but I'd have a third tier around Copland/Govan/Broomloan if at all possible. We could sell Copland/Govan out, and Broomie could be week-by-week ticketing. I'm assuming that the current structure doesn't allow for it. Obviously don't know costs to do the necessary, or how long it'd take to cover what needed to be invested, but I'd happily re-locate for the time it takes. Would prefer Murrayfield over Hampden, however, as I wouldn't give those snakes the rental.

Anyway, on the pattern of results and so on...

----------

Something that always sticks in my mind is the question that I asked my dad as a wee Bear.

My regular Ibrox visits started with the friendly against China, and I'd estimate that was in August of '82.

We actually started that season rather well, results-wise. Only win at Pittodrie, in that decade, prior to 1988. Also a notable UEFA Cup triumph over Borussia Dortmund. However, we weren't exactly doing this convincingly.

A side can win and draw, and avoid defeat, for a couple of months... but those who were seeing enough of that side to make a judgement knew what was coming, and in the last game before the Bluenose smiles got wiped it was more obvious than ever.

Jambos, League Cup, 1st Leg, Ibrox - Hearts in the 1st Division, before Alex McDonald had properly re-shaped the side into what it would become, a lot of bang-average guys doing enough to bring them back up and that was that.

We were so poor that when it got to 80mins and it was 0-0, the Jambos were in party mode. They'd spent the second-half mocking Rangers, and the support, because of just him grim our lot were. Our goals came in the 84th and 86th minutes if I recall correctly.

Then the truth hit us. Lose at piggery, walloped in Cologne, and the next smile on Bears faces didn't come until the League Cup Final, which was in March of '84 if memory serves me right.

So, what was my question?

In between 30/9/82 and that 3-2 Hampden win in '84, I asked my old man this:

"Dad, do you think that Rangers will ever win the League again?"

He said, "Of course, son," but right now I feel like that wee boy, maybe 41yrs ago.

The vermin were there for the taking this season.

Confidence was near zero. Losing at home to Hearts, dropping points against the likes of Motherwell and Kilmarnock.

Had we escaped serious loss to injury, especially up front, we'd have spent long enough on the front foot to save that rickety defence from coming under anywhere near as much pressure.

Similarly, had our scouting/recruitment been a little better, and the board had pushed the boat out a little more, we'd also likely have had two in the bag by now.

We'd have scored more, and we'd have conceded less.

CL place would've been in the bag, and a treble would've been a very distinct possibility.
Accurate and depressing, what a wasteful club we have become.

The vermin were there for the taking this season.

Confidence was near zero. Losing at home to Hearts, dropping points against the likes of Motherwell and Kilmarnock.

Had we escaped serious loss to injury, especially up front, we'd have spent long enough on the front foot to save that rickety defence from coming under anywhere near as much pressure.

Similarly, had our scouting/recruitment been a little better, and the board had pushed the boat out a little more, we'd also likely have had two in the bag by now.

We'd have scored more, and we'd have conceded less.

CL place would've been in the bag, and a treble would've been a very distinct possibility.
Absolutely spot on.
As much as the bottle crashed.

It can’t be understated the difference Cortes, Ridvan and Matondos injuries made.
Left us unable to rotate Dessers or Silva and both together (which was proving well February/March).

Manager said himself that the constant reshuffling upfront prevented rotation elsewhere.

Much like the Europa League final, I’ll view this season as being squandered by injuries.

Stop talking absolute nonsense please.

Vickers is much better than any of our centre backs and you are deluding yourself if you think otherwise.
I can't see how this conclusion can be reached.

Balogun, on those rare days of fitness, is absolutely solid.

Even if their bastard is as good, neither side plays often enough at a higher level, so how can anyone split them?

Of course, like most Bluenoses, I couldn't even tell you what the f*cker looks like, because I'd sooner watch Faces of Death with the kids beside me than ever tune in to watch those bastards.

Seriously. They'd have to be down 14-0 at Tynecastle or something before I'd stick a game of theirs on that didn't involve us.

I don't know how any Bear can give an honest appraisal of any of that mob, other than those who appear in goal clips making a roaring arse of themselves.

Absolutely spot on.
As much as the bottle crashed.

It can’t be understated the difference Cortes, Ridvan and Matondos injuries made.
Left us unable to rotate Dessers or Silva and both together (which was proving well February/March).

Manager said himself that the constant reshuffling upfront prevented rotation elsewhere.

Much like the Europa League final, I’ll view this season as being squandered by injuries.
Cortes and Ridvan, yes.

Matondo, don't think so, shades of the Sakala in there and I don't see him as being someone that we could ever rely upon to dig us out of a hole on a consistent basis, which all title-winning sides need.

Injuries, a big part of our downfall.

Board, scouting, and recruitment, every bit as big, and fans need to stop letting that shower away with murder. Thieves, cowards, and incompetents.

If we lose in the cup final and get beat in the 1st old firm game next season that will be 5 old firm defeats in a row for PC
There's a big difference between 5 games vs them without a win and 5 defeats in a row. Worst case, if what you suggest came to pass, it'd be 3 defeats in a row. With the injuries we have and the distinct possibility we start the match with one recognised central defender who has only played about 5 games this season, no natural wingers and little to no pace or bite in the team, missing a dozen or more players, up against a full strength side buzzing from just winning the league then if we win this Cup game it would have to go down as one of the biggest and most unlikely Cup wins we've ever had. How anyone could hold that against any manager is beyond me.

Things can turn around just as quickly tho. I trust PC to sort it out.

They owe us the Scottish cup but dunno if they have it in them. Winning a big Scottish game... Unlikely for this lot.

CL next season is a totally different question, Id be hoping the majority of this squad isn't here, although it never works that way

I watched the 3-3 game and the 2-1 game in almost silent reflection. The gap is significant, they have bang average players organised and focussed on winning we have bang average players focussed on their next move.

It’s a shitstorm of whomsoever runs these things in the club and whoever it is needs fucking replaced or shot before we start on another campaign.

This squad can't beat Celtic in a meaningful game ffs, when will people learn? It's been 2 fucking years. What do you think is going to change next Saturday?

We need the season over and done with.
I’m going to wear my “other” lucky pants!
To be fair, most of the old firm games have been down to poor reffing, some poor luck, and some individuals having lapses of concentration. They are not the great team their media will have you believe. Granted we haven’t had a full strength 11, and won’t for the Cup final, but we have still put up a better display than the negative slant I see everywhere. I’m not praising the team for defeats, but I don’t think they are as far away as some think.

Cortes and Ridvan, yes.

Matondo, don't think so, shades of the Sakala in there and I don't see him as being someone that we could ever rely upon to dig us out of a hole on a consistent basis, which all title-winning sides need.

Board, scouting, and recruitment, every bit as big, and fans need to stop letting that shower away with murder. Thieves, cowards, and incompetents.
I say Matondo only as an option to bring freshness.

We’ve ended the season with Silva at LW through default. Regardless of performance, even Rabbi being fit could have allowed Silva and Dessers to rotate.

We
Not getting a striker in January has really cost us big time
We have a striker who has scored 20 odd goals. Its the players round about him who chip in with zero. Our midfield and wide players contribute nothing in terms of goals

We

We have a striker who has scored 20 odd goals. Its the players round about him who chip in with zero. Our midfield and wide players contribute nothing in terms of goals
True but another one would have chipped in with goals:

You playing 2 upfront? Would suggest the shit defending and numerous slack goals conceded against the shit didn't help. But we can't flag the untouchables in defence now, can we.
At times yes, we really need to mix things up in games when they are not going to plan, not seen much of that from PC.

The players owe us at the very least them two achievements.

I think if we win the cup and qualified from a favourable draw to get the champions league money this season is quickly forgotten about.

First things first though is win the cup and then we hopefully see a clearout.

Im very much the optimist but if we dont win cup or qualify for CL its going to be another long season next season.

Your right to ask for those that’s what the clubs short term aim has to be . Let’s Go .

I don't think the Scottish cup has any relevance to next season. The reality is that Celtic are a much better team than us currently with their tails up so every chance we take a sore one in the final. Next season there are no excuses. Clement has had 7 months in post and should have everything in place to go into pre season with his own players. I just hope we don't do our usual of waiting until august to get half the new players in.

In terms of champions league, it will be a difficult task to get into it but isn't insurmountable.
Calm down there sailor. They are 6 points better than us over 37 games. The gap isn’t as big as you are making out.

Cortes and Ridvan, yes.

Matondo couldn’t lace Sakalas boots, and Sakala was hardly a world beater.

Baffles me what some see in Matondo, like the poster you quoted. He’s been here two seasons now and been horrendous other than 3 or 4 decent goals he’s scored after coming off the bench.

With the money he’s rumoured to be on (upward or £25k a week), we should be looking to move him on this summer.

There's a big difference between 5 games vs them without a win and 5 defeats in a row. Worst case, if what you suggest came to pass, it'd be 3 defeats in a row. With the injuries we have and the distinct possibility we start the match with one recognised central defender who has only played about 5 games this season, no natural wingers and little to no pace or bite in the team, missing a dozen or more players, up against a full strength side buzzing from just winning the league then if we win this Cup game it would have to go down as one of the biggest and most unlikely Cup wins we've ever had. How anyone could hold that against any manager is beyond me.
Agree. A lot of people set themselves up for a fall, but more importantly seem to be setting Clemente up for a fall by ignoring the evidence. Hopefully the board are past the point of taking notice of these opinions.

The Cup is very important. This one reminds me of the 73 Cup Final and we can do it. They are beatable, but only if we bring a winning, fighting attitude to the game, like the semi final recently against them. We need trophies.
After that, the next day, Clement must rebuild his own team with real men, winners.

Phil has overachieved with these players. They have let him down, and us down again. Almost all the same faces that seem to disappear when the going gets tough. A big clear out is needed, and if backed properly I’m confident Phil can do the business next season.

Scottish Cup in the grand scheme of things doesn't matter a jot this season - the only reason its of any relevance is because we are playing them in the final.

even if we win a double most fans (correctly) will consider the season a failure.

as for qualifying for the CL - the fair chunk of our current squad will not be here for that next season - to name a few

McLaughlin
Butland (likely)
Jack
Roofe
Borna
Lundstram
Lammers (likely)
Balogun
Hagi (likely)

thats not to mention if Tav / Goldson / Dessers / go.
Winning the Scottish Cup always matters.
It might not be as important as the league but it matters.
It's a sad day when a Rangers fans doesn't want to beat the scum in a Scottish Cup final.
Its a sad day when winning a trophy is so easily dismissed as not mattering a jot.

It's also relevant no matter who we play in the final .

If we don't trust the regular first-teamers against Celtic, and there's every reason for this lack of trust, how would you feel about Clement giving some of the youngsters their first taste of an Old Firm and of a big atmosphere match at Hampden?

Sometimes younger players can play with a gallusness and lack of fear regardless of the occasion, which might be just what we need - no respect given, and take the game to them. Of course, there's the risk a young player wilts under the pressure, but could they really pull off a worse performance than, for example, Lundstram in the last OF match?

I'm not really interested in seeing whether our outgoing players can pull off a swansong performance on their way out the door; I'd rather look ahead, and see what some of the young guns have got, and if they are capable of entering into Clement's thoughts for next season.

I'd like to see one or two of them given the first 45 minutes, with another one or two in the second half if things are going our way, or even if the game is long gone.

It's done.

CFC has a decades long planning process whereas we've been gung-ho all this century.

Lawwell will go down as their greatest ever custodian who cemented them in No1 spot, we need to find a gazzilionaire or hope they find their own Craig Whyte, to be able to get back on terms.

They've got £70m in the bank, probs get £30m for O'Reilly (massively overpriced but they'll get it) and then the £40-£60m for the CL.

They could literally bulldoze their main stand and build a new one and still have £40m in the bank whereas we are spending money we don't have to stay second forever.

It's been a horrendous century for the club.
They've got a bigger stadium than us, giving them a £5-£10 million a year advantage that compounds year after year, decade after decades. That's the only long term planning they've done. Brutally effective though.

I can't see how this conclusion can be reached.

Balogun, on those rare days of fitness, is absolutely solid.

Even if their bastard is as good, neither side plays often enough at a higher level, so how can anyone split them?

Of course, like most Bluenoses, I couldn't even tell you what the f*cker looks like, because I'd sooner watch Faces of Death with the kids beside me than ever tune in to watch those bastards.

Seriously. They'd have to be down 14-0 at Tynecastle or something before I'd stick a game of theirs on that didn't involve us.

I don't know how any Bear can give an honest appraisal of any of that mob, other than those who appear in goal clips making a roaring arse of themselves.
But you gave an opinion that Balogun is better than theirs.
Based on?

But you gave an opinion that Balogun is better than theirs.
Based on?
I honestly can't be f*cked arguing with anyone telling me that one of them bastards is super-awesome and a billion times better than a Bear who, on his rare appearances, never seems to let us down.

We play against shite nearly all the time, in a league where Marvin Andrews could easily look flawless. It's impossible to tell. All centre halves need to do for us or them is not make a right rip-roaring arse of it, unlike Goldson.

And if I knew that one of them was seriously good, and someone asked me for an honest appraisal? The best you'll get out of me is I'll call him a c*nt, and leave it at that.

I honestly can't be f*cked arguing with anyone telling me that one of them bastards is super-awesome and a billion times better than a Bear who, on his rare appearances, never seems to let us down.

We play against shite nearly all the time, in a league where Marvin Andrews could easily look flawless. It's impossible to tell. All centre halves need to do for us or them is not make a right rip-roaring arse of it, unlike Goldson.

And if I knew that one of them was seriously good, and someone asked me for an honest appraisal? The best you'll get out of me is I'll call him a c*nt, and leave it at that.
Believe me m8, if anyone said CV was super awesome and a billion times better than Balogun you'd have a valid point.
Only as you know no one has said any such thing
Mega staunch though :)

Back