Would a Cup double be a successful season in your view?

Would a Cup double constitute as a successful season?

• Yes

Votes: 506 48.8%
  • No

Votes: 530 51.2%

• Total voters
Given the state we were in under MB I would say miraculous but given the way this team threw away the advantage gained in the league I an not convinced they have momentum to win eighter

Usually anything less than the title is not a success, but given the way the season was heading before Clement took over then I have to say a cup double this season would be a remarkable turn around.

It is sickening though that we seem to have thrown away a great opportunity to win the league this season.

In September and October we were on the verge of winning nothing.

2 cups plus last 16, and still challenging in May is a huge turnaround.
That's a fact. That's why the manager, who in my mind had done a minor miracle, must be given time or it will just be same posts, same time next year.

You mention Sept. I well remember our time from 79 till souness, when our league hopes were at an and when going down to Blackpool for the Sept weekend piss up.

From where we were when then manager came in then ye it has to be. However, it will feel a letdown after the position we had got ourselves in.

Context is everything, and from the position we fought to get into to throw it away is a collapse by any measure

League is always the real prize.

Based on day one of season expectations I’d be disappointed with just the cups.

Based on where we were when Beale left, the cups are a big win.

Based on where we were at Clement peak, not winning the league is a gutter and the cups don’t make up for it.

A rollercoaster of a season right enough but not winning the league will always be a bigger disappointment than winning the cups is an achievement for me.

Depends on where you look at it from. I'd say some people are basing it on the goals at the start of the season, some from when Beale was sacked and some from where we were pre–Ross County. I'm in the Clement starting position, from when he took over, if we win the double that's a success (the defeats under Beale were already a huge handicap for Clement and just as much to blame as RC/Dundee). From day 1 of next season, the league is non-negotiable (as usual).
But the league will be harder to achieve next year with financial gap widening, we don’t win it (next year)we bin the manager and we start the cycle all over again

We are becoming a sliding doors type of club not kicking on after 55 has been pivotal

Before Dec - Yes

Now - No, not after clawing it back, it would take the sting out of losing the league though.

What I'm taking from that is, the manager has made a rod for his own back, by getting us back in with a shout of the league after many on here gave up after the first game at Rugby Park.

Seems we're just not going to give managers a reasonable chance of getting us over the line. Mind, you we luckily gave Gerrard a reasonable chance and well, he won us our only league title since coming back to the spl. We now seem to be in a manager a season spiral and for me, the future is bleak.
I don't blame the manager for the recent collapse, don't want to start player bashing but it's on them.

Nope. We got ourself back in the title race only to lose to Motherwell, Ross County and draw with Celtic and Dundee. We’ve blown it

The sight of them tramps celebrating in the merchant city area again albeit it's the mhanky arse end of Glesga , is depressing , so its a no from me, runners up to one of the worst beggar teams in recent times is never good enough, a couple of wee cups will never make up for the big one , thats before we even talk about the financial aspect of it.

If you are not miserable about the performances' in the last six weeks in the league, then I admire your staunchability.
The performances have been poor for much of season.

Largely due to the poor summer window, as well as an injury-plagued squad.

If we somehow come out of that with 2 cups, which will involve beating Celtic in a final, then it’s been a relative success.

As has been said, the posters dismissing the cups will have been the same ones talking about how vital they were to win a few seasons back.

But the league will be harder to achieve next year with financial gap widening, we don’t win it (next year)we bin the manager and we start the cycle all over again

We are becoming a sliding doors type of club not kicking on after 55 has been pivotal
I'd back us to get through the Champions League qualifiers if that's where we end up. Not interested in this potential financial gap. (And this will be the last year they get anywhere near CL for a while if they win the league.)

No.

From being out the title race pre Philippe Clement to the title being in our hands. Barely reacted to the defeat by Motherwell at Ibrox, couldn’t beat Celtic at Ibrox then went on to lose at Ross County and draw at Dens Park.

If we fail to win the league we’ve thrown it away and only have ourselves to blame. Scottish Cup doesn’t give us the Champions League riches and it means Celtic would be one league title behind us.

If we end up with only the League Cup it’s yet another pathetic season.

Would be a success for me, because fundamentally we're the same team that got Gio and Beale the sack, so two cups is a big achievement, and sets us up to clean house in the summer and build the team in Clement's image. It would end their season on a bum note, which is a plus.

No an it never will be. The title is the be all and end all, especially now with the finances at stake.
How much is that exactly? Genuine question because I keep seeing people mention it on here as though it's a game changer and we have seen Celtic collect the cash from CL for the vast majority of the last decade, still only 3 points ahead due to our own lack of fight in games against dross.

How much will the league champions earn from qualifying for the CL? More than the runners up if they also qualify?

Do they get £50m or much less and that £50m is made up of potential gate receipts, win bonuses and progression rewards?

When appointed, I’d guess Clement's remit will have been to reduce the gap in the League, win a cup and Europe after Christmas.

All have been achieved. But it doesn't tell the story of the season. Losing the league will be deflating. If we do, we'll really need the SC.

Assuming we don't do the business in the league, would a cup double make up for it?

If you'd given me the choice of the league or a cup double at the start of the season I would have chosen the league every day of the week. The thought of losing another league title to them is absolutely devastating.

As it is, the damage Michael Beale caused has led to us where we are and if Clement can produce a Cup double from that I'd be relatively happy.
But Beale did all that damage and Clement then got us into a position to be in our hands and we let it slip, we cannot ignore that fact and say “oh well, because we were far behind I can excuse all the poor stuff that came after that led to us giving the league away”.

It will be a failure in my book.

How much is that exactly? Genuine question because I keep seeing people mention it on here as though it's a game changer and we have seen Celtic collect the cash from CL for the vast majority of the last decade, still only 3 points ahead due to our own lack of fight in games against dross.

How much will the league champions earn from qualifying for the CL? More than the runners up if they also qualify?

Do they get £50m or much less and that £50m is made up of potential gate receipts, win bonuses and progression rewards?
It's a weird negative attitude people have where they assume Celtic will get 40, 50, 60m... and completely disregard that we can also qualify for the CL coming 2nd and getting through the qualifiers. (Obviously everyone would prefer we won the league and went straight through.)

As the Euro results under Clement showed, we're still a decent European team and his Rangers will likely be better than the one that was a stupid own goal and soft penalty away from beating Benfica. We'll be fine on the CL front.

Champions League money is an absolute myth.

Not like you get in the groups and sign Harry Kane.

Since 2012 Celtic have been in group stages 6 times and us once i see no current significant advantage Celtic have over us other than 3 points at the moment.

No. Its not a successful season

Clement and his staff can be relatively pleased with what they have done since they came in and consider their share of the season a solid success

I would have bit the hand off you for it when Clement took over but after getting ourselves to the top of the league only a few weeks ago, failing to win it will feel like a opportunity squandered.

I'd back us to get through the Champions League qualifiers if that's where we end up. Not interested in this potential financial gap. (And this will be the last year they get anywhere near CL for a while if they win the league.)
It doesn’t really matter if your interested in the finances or not it’s a unpalatable fact, I seen a tim on Twitter say if they win the league this year there shouldn’t even be a title race for the next 10 years…..hard to argue against it

Considering the state we were in when the fraud Beale left then ending up with two domestic trophies and getting to last 16 of the Europa League should be considered at least a good season at best.

But when you look at the amount of chances we had to get into a good lead ahead of the scum after doing so well clawing back the points deficit and losing to a very beatable Benfica then understandably it should be considered as a very frustrating wasted opportunity to have a tremendous season. Too many faces at the club for too long, an awful summer transfer window by the above mentioned fraud and horrific luck with injuries have been our worst enemies this season.

Since 2012 Celtic have been in group stages 6 times and us once i see no current significant advantage Celtic have over us other than 3 points at the moment.
It's crazy really that folk will have their opinions formed from the likes of Chris Sutton and the Daily Record over rational self thinking. We were in the CL and the prior year were EL finalists, I'm sure that £40m cheque will land any day now

It doesn’t really matter if your interested in the finances or not it’s a unpalatable fact, I seen a tim on Twitter say if they win the league this year there shouldn’t even be a title race for the next 10 years…..hard to argue against it
Coward, so you think they will get 13 IAR :))
Shitebag

The league must always be the priority, and it would be a kick in the balls to have been in a position to win it and let is slip… but folk talking about a Cup double representing failure are fucking bonkers IMO.

The millions in the bank, the numerous titles and cups they’ve racked up……yeah nice and level :rolleyes:

Reactions: WLF
For Clement it’s an acceptable return given what he inherited. But for this squad of players and the club in general? No chance. Not surprised to see so many content with it though.

Back