Would a Cup double be a successful season in your view?

Would a Cup double constitute as a successful season?

• Yes

Votes: 506 48.8%
  • No

Votes: 530 51.2%

• Total voters
No.
In my opinion the extended CL and extra money and prestige, we simply had to be there.
Surely we are in this journey to win trophies, prestige and money should surely be at the lower end of the scale for fans. Win silver and we can still win 3 pieces, one clearly bigger than the rest but I find it strange that the ' League is all that matters' crowd are the same who revel in our record major trophy haul as if these cup wins aren't a huge portion of the fabric of our clubs foundations

Mistake number 1) Listening to anyone on Twitter.
Mistake number 2) Listening to one of them on Twitter.

We'll both be in the CL next year if they win the league and there will absolutely be a title race even if we're not.
Doesn’t change the fact though they’ll be guaranteed the income we’ll have to gamble on getting and likely our planning will be on hold/scaled back again till it’s confirmed,
Being in a title race is great coming 2nd continually in that race not so much

Assuming we don't do the business in the league, would a cup double make up for it?

If you'd given me the choice of the league or a cup double at the start of the season I would have chosen the league every day of the week. The thought of losing another league title to them is absolutely devastating.

As it is, the damage Michael Beale caused has led to us where we are and if Clement can produce a Cup double from that I'd be relatively happy.

You have asked two different questions that have different answers.

Would I regard two cups a successful season? Yes - it would be an improvement in terms of trophies won in a season since our 2012 troubles.

Would two cups make up for not winning the league? No. Like yourself, I would always take the league first.

And I agree Michael Beale 2023 summer transfer business left us in a dark place which he had no idea how to get out of. Clement has navigated us out of that dark place. His job now is to make us successful.

If we don't win the league this season then he deserves the summer and a chance to win it with his own team.

FWIW, I believe we can get a result at the piggery.

It all depends on the circumstances. If we win the Cup double it means we have beaten Celtic in a huge match so makes it more of an achievement. Had it been Aberdeen in the final then it would have been on a par with St. Johnstone in 2021. The Cup double under Eck in 2002 was a great achievement and led to a treble the following year. So although it doesn't feel great just now we might look back on it more fondly in a year or so.

Assuming we don't do the business in the league, would a cup double make up for it?

If you'd given me the choice of the league or a cup double at the start of the season I would have chosen the league every day of the week. The thought of losing another league title to them is absolutely devastating.

As it is, the damage Michael Beale caused has led to us where we are and if Clement can produce a Cup double from that I'd be relatively happy.
100%. When Clement got here we were 7 points behind with two piggery games to play. Aye we blew a chance but we blew a chance he gave us in the first place that nobody expected us to have. He's always said he needs time... Marathon not a sprint etc etc... obviously we'll be gutted if we don't win it this season after getting so close but a cup double would be a remarkable start.

I don't blame the manager for the recent collapse, don't want to start player bashing but it's on them.
He has to take his share of the blame, blinkered to say otherwise. I get Beale left him playing catch-up and with some bad signings, but up to now in all competitions Clement will have managed 39 games, so it's his team by now playing his tactics.

He was hired to get the most out of the players that were already here, not to just bide his time till the summer window and start the job properly from there fresh slate. When we were on a winning run he rightfully got the praise for getting results out of the same players, so when we draw against Celtic at home then suffer very poor results, he deserves share of criticism for any collapse... unfair to just say it's on the players.

Only time I’d consider a season a true success without a league title is when we do something remarkable in its place, such as a really lengthy and memorable European run.

This time next year it is very possible that the mentally challengeds could be heading for 55.

In what way can this season be remotely described as "successful" ffs ??!

People need to get their heads out the sand!

I can only imagine that the Yes voters in this poll are ones who rarely, if ever, attend games.

He has to take his share of the blame, blinkered to say otherwise. I get Beale left him playing catch-up and with some bad signings, but up to now in all competitions Clement will have managed 39 games, so it's his team by now playing his tactics.

He was hired to get the most out of the players that were already here, not to just bide his time till the summer window and start the job properly from there fresh slate. When we were on a winning run he rightfully got the praise for getting results out of the same players, so when we draw against Celtic at home then suffer very poor results, he deserves share of criticism for any collapse... unfair to just say it's on the players.
Agreed.

Clement also has to take responsibility.

It is right that he should also come under scrutiny.

The week we sacked Beale- I would have settled for any sort of cup win

We have the league cup in the bag
We are in the Scottish cup final
We are still in contention for the league with 3 games to go

The progress we have made in such a short time with basically the same players has been amazing

We have the laid the foundations to be better and as big Marvin said in 2005 after we went 5 points behind with 3 games remaining “”Keep Believing”

Yes we will get the cup double- with a chance of making it the treble

Doesn’t change the fact though they’ll be guaranteed the income we’ll have to gamble on getting and likely our planning will be on hold/scaled back again till it’s confirmed,
Being in a title race is great coming 2nd continually in that race not so much
And they may well waste all of their budget trying to replace the 2 central defence guys they bought in the last year or two for not far off £10m that can't even get Scales out of their team. Or waste another million continuing to pay that Mccarthy guy to not even sit on the bench for the last 2 seasons.

There is nothing about their current squads recent permanent signings that says they're going to spend the CL cash well. Even Palma who they reportedly spent millions on has only scored one more goal than Matondo in the league with 7 more appearances than Rabbi. Fair to say we all think Matondo has had an average season, at best, when he's been fit.

Years of free hits they've had at the CL riches and they're still only 3 points away from us and struggling more and more to beat the teams below us (Hearts and Killie). I'm in no way concerned about what they might do. Us on the other hand, we'll significantly improve with or without CL cash (which I think we'll get) and it'll be easier for us to fix our form against the likes of bottom 6 Ross County, Motherwell and Aberdeen.

If you'd asked me when PC was appointed. Absolutely.

However, considering we'd got back on top only to blow it again is a gutter tbh. SC win would soften the blow but either way, PC needs that Celtc monkey off his back.

Even for FF I'm in genuine disbelief that 51% are saying no. Ridiculous
The 51% will be looking for a cup double on the 25th of this month - and will celebrate the Scottish Cup victory like no other especially against the Scum

It will be the flatest cup win ever for either side IF they have not also won the league.
The fact both clubs have been so close to winning it in recent weeks along with the CL cash at stake will make a cup win feel.hollow if the title is lost. This goes for us and them. The title is everything.
Not that long ago St Johnstone won a cup double. Kind of puts it in perspective.

The week we sacked Beale- I would have settled for any sort of cup win

We have the league cup in the bag
We are in the Scottish cup final
We are still in contention for the league with 3 games to go

The progress we have made in such a short time with basically the same players has been amazing

We have the laid the foundations to be better and as big Marvin said in 2005 after we went 5 points behind with 3 games remaining “”Keep Believing”

Yes we will get the cup double- with a chance of making it the treble
Let's not talk about progress just yet.
Let's see the league table at the season end and compare then.

Why? A lot of bears will be over 20 years old and still hold the same sort of standards as previous. They won’t consider bottling the league from a great position to be a success, and rightly so.

It’d be a consolation but won’t make up for blowing the league. Ignore where we came back from. The shambles of April is a bitter pill. Still, would be better to win it than not, clearly.

For me it's a dire sign of the times and how our expectations have slipped that 49% would consider coming 2nd to a very beatable scum side a success.

The cups would count for nothing more than consolation prizes, especially when this league title comes with a guaranteed spot in the Champions League and the £50m that comes with that.

I'd say Clement's reign in charge has been a success so far but to say the season as a whole has been a success is plain wrong.

It's not like we were up against a great side or a team that could vastly outspend us. We have the highest wage bill in the country and we spent €21.80m over the two windows if you include the deferred €5 fee for Diomande.

It is all about the title this year and anything less is not a success.

The money is higher this season. Add on two extra games, extra tv money, extra prize money, extra ticket money.

It will be very difficult forwhoever is runner up to get through
Why will it be more difficult for the runner up than other seasons?

Two extra games, extra TV money, extra prize money, ticket money? So you're just seeing 50 and assuming that's the minimum they will receive for showing up?

If Clement had came in, dropped a few points whilst he got to know the players and that lot moved ahead in the league, a cup double would have been a successful season, imo.

But the way the seasons gone, it'll be a pretty deflating cup final if that lot win the league.
I get what you are saying mate but come cup final day, champs or not, you'll be up for it and desperate go smash this mob.

It will be the flatest cup win ever for either side IF they have not also won the league.
The fact both clubs have been so close to winning it in recent weeks along with the CL cash at stake will make a cup win feel.hollow if the title is lost. This goes for us and them. The title is everything.
Not that long ago St Johnstone won a cup double. Kind of puts it in perspective.
I doubt it’ll be anywhere near flat for either side regardless of who wins the league it’s an old firm cup final. The strangest cup win I’ve probably been at is QOTS in 07/08 after losing the UEFA cup & league but had we beaten them in that final it wouldn’t have felt like that.

A cup double in any season is good for us.
A cup double for a new manager is excellent.
To end up extremely close and less than 7 points given where we were is good going.
To lose on goal difference would be devastating.
Winning the league is so important this year.
On balance it would be a good season, tinged with sadness.

Remember, it is "would it be a good season?" not "which is better?"

And they may well waste all of their budget trying to replace the 2 central defence guys they bought in the last year or two for not far off £10m that can't even get Scales out of their team. Or waste another million continuing to pay that Mccarthy guy to not even sit on the bench for the last 2 seasons.

There is nothing about their current squads recent permanent signings that says they're going to spend the CL cash well. Even Palma who they reportedly spent millions on has only scored one more goal than Matondo in the league with 7 more appearances than Rabbi. Fair to say we all think Matondo has had an average season, at best, when he's been fit.

Years of free hits they've had at the CL riches and they're still only 3 points away from us and struggling more and more to beat the teams below us (Hearts and Killie). I'm in no way concerned about what they might do. Us on the other hand, we'll significantly improve with or without CL cash (which I think we'll get) and it'll be easier for us to fix our form against the likes of bottom 6 Ross County, Motherwell and Aberdeen.
Look I hope your correct in what your predicting, but the fact their board have admitted to underspending and not recruiting as they should have is ominous for us, factor in they have more sellable assets than us, plus what about our dead wood they won’t be getting snapped up anytime soon,
I guess we’ll see how the league turns out and what the summer brings but I know who’s position I’d rather be in at this point in time

No it would absolutely nit be a success.

I also don't even think we will achieve that.

Our players do not have what it takes.

The manager put it the other day as “we were 7 points behind now we’re only 3”
He’s trying to put a positive spin on it, I know that.
But when you look at the Ross County and Dundee games then it looks like we blew the chance of a treble there.
In that breakdown I’m a bit disappointed as the league was in our hands.

The manager put it the other day as “we were 7 points behind now we’re only 3”
He’s trying to put a positive spin on it, I know that.
But when you look at the Ross County and Dundee games then it looks like we blew the chance of a treble there.
In that breakdown I’m a bit disappointed as the league was in our hands.
Although that statement is factually correct it’s a bit misleading considering the way it’s panned out, almost as if look at the good stuff and disregard the negative which at Rangers just won’t wash

It would be success, but not as successful as it could have been. If we don't win the League this season then we didn't take our opportunities to do so; you both win it for yourself, and the team nearest to you loses it- if they win it then it's because we also lost it, and those two games, against Ross County and Dundee will be the telling factor in that story. Not since Walter have we had a manager that both gave little away, and capitalised on opportunities given; if Clement is like that, and he might be, then he might need to prove that next season

We should just get put out the cups in the first round from now on and only concentrate on the league. We aren't in a position to pick and choose what we win, until we get shot of the usual losers in our squad. Cup double sets us up for next season, if we can win on Saturday that would also give us a mental advantage for next season I believe.

The league was ours to throw away just a few weeks ago & the usual suspects duly obliged.

Regardless of cups, that will be disappointment that lingers from this season should we fail to win the league.

Surprised this is 50/50.

Is it a sign of the times? Or is it purely because Clement inherited a mess?

A cup double at Rangers should never ever be viewed as a success.

The league was ours to throw away just a few weeks ago & the usual suspects duly obliged.

Regardless of cups, that will be disappointment that lingers from this season should we fail to win the league.
Pretty much how I feel.

At the end of Beale’s reign, when we got pumped at home to Aberdeen I’d have said a cup double would have been a successful season from there, but to have gotten ourselves in to such a great position just before the last Celtic game and to have completely shat the bed is quite hard to take, no point in pretending otherwise.

I don’t attach the blame at all to Clement though, he has worked wonders with a largely uninspiring group of players

Surely we are in this journey to win trophies, prestige and money should surely be at the lower end of the scale for fans. Win silver and we can still win 3 pieces, one clearly bigger than the rest but I find it strange that the ' League is all that matters' crowd are the same who revel in our record major trophy haul as if these cup wins aren't a huge portion of the fabric of our clubs foundations
I certainly want trophies, but given the trebles the rodents have racked up, to be sitting on our coat tails numbers wise, the cups are great icing for a league winning cake. Even a double of league and Scottish cup is a good season imo. However, with the CL expansion and the money it attracts, we need it to continue to fund successful seasons here. If we win the league this season, we are also damaging the bheasts, as there is just no way they qualify for CL. Plus yes I want Rangers to be at the top table in Europe, for the glamour, and to keep our name out there in CL circles.

Voted no as the main objective every year is the league. They’d gladly give us two cups every year as they will be and have been making millions more than us in the champions league.

Relative to where we were when Beale left, yes.
Relative to where we were going into the Motherwell match, absolutely not.
It’s all about the league.

Why will it be more difficult for the runner up than other seasons?

Two extra games, extra TV money, extra prize money, ticket money? So you're just seeing 50 and assuming that's the minimum they will receive for showing up?
Whether you like it or not it's a fact the money is more next season. Also you say 'they' which means you have already conceded it to them? I haven't and it's certainly not impossible that cash could be ours.

It will be more difficult for whatever team doesn't win it because we are two piss poor teams and the standard has dropped.

No ,simply because we dragged ourselves back into contention for title ,had it sitting on a plate and the usual "bottlers" showed up for a 3 game period against scum,ross county & dundee and completely blew it.

It might be recoverable with an unlikely win at the paedodome on sarurday cos i think they'll drop points at killie,but we NEED that win.
Didn't those same "bottlers" drag us into contention?

So for the games before the last OF, they weren't bottlers, but then for 3 they were, and have won each game since then so aren't bottlers again?

Isn't that just a dip in form like every team has? Doesn't mean they're "bottlers".

I tried to resist making a comment as the arguments between fans on here and in general does nothing for our club. The poll is 50 50 exactly when I voted.

Glasgow Rangers Football Club have and always will be the biggest club in Scotland.
Success for us is only measured in league titles.

The argument about what PC has achieved since coming in is valid and that Beale had hamstrung our season before his sacking cannot be denied but in the bigger picture Beale shouldn’t have been here in the first place and PC must find a way to beat them regularly to take us to the next level.
Until we are beating Celtic more than they beat us and we are winning titles and cups consistently then for bears my age it could never be seen as success.

Back