Xabi Alonso

prenzlauerbear

There were a few eyebrows raised when Leverkusen made him one of the best paid managers around, mainly because he was unproven and they lay in 17th place with 5 points in 8 games.

He has taken them up to 6th, currently 7 points off a Champions League spot. Also into the Europa League semis after battering USG last night.

One of those guys who looks a natural for management. Wouldn’t be surprised if Liverpool were looking at him already.

I remember his name being thrown around when Gerrard left.

I'm honest enough to say I thought it would be a risk too many after SG.

Don’t think as a club we could ever be overly ambitious. A big part of the problem is so many people seem to be accepting of being second now.
Who is this so many people ? I don’t know a single person who’s said they’re happy to be second, and the club sacked a manager mid season due to him being cut adrift from 1st place. So who are these people ?

Don’t think as a club we could ever be overly ambitious. A big part of the problem is so many people seem to be accepting of being second now.
Gerrard was a massively ambitious move. Borderline ridiculous given what we had been hiring recently to then.

Turned out rather well though.

Problem now is we have nobody with the mindset of Dave King.

We’re now more likely to get Robbie than Xavi.

Who is this so many people ? I don’t know a single person who’s said they’re happy to be second, and the club sacked a manager mid season due to him being cut adrift from 1st place. So who are these people ?
I’ve never heard anybody say they’re happy being second either. People just love to say that on here.

I have alopecia

I would love to be able to raise my eyebrows.
images

I wanted him when Gerrard left. Looking back it may have been over ambitious.
I mentioned him when Gio was on the verge of being sacked and got told that he had done nothing to merit being given the Rangers job. He was out of work at the time I’m sure after leaving Sociedad B team.

Is he on crazy money at Leverkusen?

Top player, fine head of hair. Probably on a fair wedge at Leverkusen - you'd need to be, the place is about as exciting as East Kilbride on a Wednesday night in November.

It's truly amazing what this guy has achieved in a very short period of time and the fact he hasn't let it go to his head by jumping ship.

They have built a great squad so its no surprise he isn't desperate to go to Liverpool and have a go at the champions league with Leverkusen.

The DoF there has done some job as they don't spend massive amounts and seem to have got the mixture of experience and young players with potential perfect alongside getting Alonso before he ends up at Real or one of the English teams.

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bunde...erkusen-s-director-of-sport-xabi-alonso-26716

They have built a great squad so its no surprise he isn't desperate to go to Liverpool and have a go at the champions league with Leverkusen.

The DoF there has done some job as they don't spend massive amounts and seem to have got the mixture of experience and young players with potential perfect alongside getting Alonso before he ends up at Real or one of the English teams.

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bunde...erkusen-s-director-of-sport-xabi-alonso-26716
They spent 90m euro this past summer with a net spend of about 20m, so it's not exactly shoestring. But a lot of the transfers were quite shrewd. Selling Bakker for about 10 and getting Grimaldo in for nothing as his replacement was very good.

Leipzig have been quite unfortunate in the sense this year was their biggest ever in terms of ins and outs and its coincided with Bayern falling away.

Creamed in 240m in transfer fees but its well set them back in terms of a couple of years to build back another squad to maturity.

Really impressed that he didn't decide to fly to England and face the ludicrous pressures and crazy transfer market there.
Bayern, Real Madrid and Liverpool will all be praying he fancies just one more season at Leverkusen.

Back