Your favourite non Rangers player of all time

Ronaldo R9.

That season at Barcelona and then at Inter before his injuries was just amazing.

1996-1999

He was just 20 at Barcelona!!

Just unbelievable, I had never seen anyone play the game like that.

Messi is the only other player that made me feel that way.

Cruyff for me. 74 world cup was my first real football memory. Even at seven years old, I could tell he was special. What he went on to do still manifests today.
Cruyff is why Barca ruled the roost, and why M.City do just now.
Rinus Michels may have been the architect of total football, but Cruyff was a capable and willing pupil who eventually superceded his mentor's philosophy.
50 years on, and years after his death, Cruyff is still influencing football.

John Watson at the Pars in the mid-late 80s.

Cost them £300 from Hong Kong Rangers and his goal return was unreal. A striker that would run through a brick wall as well.

Good that he's still associated with the club too.
You'll appreciate my old friend and Johns teammate from that team Davy Moyes who died recently.

You'll appreciate my old friend and Johns teammate from that team Davy Moyes who died recently.

Nice article about him on the club website.

Good solid player back in the day, and 68 is far too young to be taken.

Zidane at his peak was the pinnacle of footballing genius, for me.

He pretty much single-handedly got France to that World Cup final in 2006 (and I also think they would've won, had he not got sent off - he'd have defo scored his penalty). And his performance against Brazil that tournament was on another level.

I always wonder why Zidane isn't mentioned in the same breath as Messi, Maradona etc., and i often hear that it comes down to inconsistency. But he always did it on the biggest stages at the biggest moments.

Messi is the obvious one but he is/was so good to watch. The way he’d jink past players, ball sticking to his feet, and his vision was the best I’ve ever seen.

Special mention to R9, Bergkamp and Henry. Used to love watching CL nights at Highbury on ITV.

City guy that gets a special mention from me was Ali Benarbia. Very under the radar this one as we got him when he was 34 and we were in the championship. He's clearly not up there with some of the guys mentioned on here but honestly the vision and ability to pick out the most impossible through balls that he had, I've not seen much else like it. He was a really really unique footballer and a proper cult hero among city fans. Genuinely a joy to watch.

Favourite was Beckham. I loved watching that Man Utd team. Putting aside all the bullshit that surrounded Beckham he was brilliant player with an outstanding attitude.

Best would be Zidane though. Guy was in a different planet, even in amongst the very best, he stood out.

Michael Ballack got booked and knew he would miss the World Cup final Butler that to the back of his mind to score the goal to send Germany to the final.

I loved the way he used to arrive late in the box and score headers.

Back