Your favourite non Rangers player of all time

A few for me.

Del Piero - remember watching him on Golazo when he first broke into that Juve team and formed the incredible front 3 with Vialli and ravanelli. Then seeing first hand his qualities in the 2 CL gubbings they gave us (just ask Alec Cleland...). Just a cool as fuk player, really humble and loyal as well.

Ronaldinho - The things that man could do with a football were utterly incredible and just loved how he played with that big goofy grin in his face.

Bergkamp - utter class and probably has 2 or 3 entries in my favourite ever goals.

Roberto Carlos - the king of the attacking full backs and a left foot from the gods.

Ibrahimovic - cos he's a mental big bastard and football needs characters like him. Obviously a great player but the "zlatan" quotes crack me up every time.

Not because he became Rangers manager but I always loved watching Gerrard, think he done some most moments in games I’ve ever seen

Hope that counts as non Rangers!

Zidane.

A less obvious one is Pavel Nedved. Never forget his performance in Euro 2004 when Czechs beat Holland 3-2, one of the best individual performances in one of the best games I’ve ever seen.

The 1974 World Cup I was only 7 and starting to take a real interest in football.
My Dad had absolutely zero interest in football.
Cruyff appears on the scene, along with a Dutch team that was completely different.
Always been a huge favourite ever since.

The question was favourite not best. Obviously many players vying for best that I didn’t particularly like. Non Rangers players I really liked Cruyff number one but also thought Klinsman was a great player and decent bloke.

He'd have been the best ever if he had the work ethic of Pele or CR7.
Bombed out by Pep at Barca because of his attitude and influence in the dressing room.

I agree he was the most skillful ballplayer ever.
Same with Neymar, ridiculous talent, but liked the partying a bit too much.

Wont come as a surprse to hear that it is Maradona.

I'll add another name, though: Zico. He didn't move to Europe until the end of his career so seems to have been a bit forgotten. What a player he was.
Zico is a great shout, his glory days were in Brazil, so like Pele we didn’t see so much footage of him in Europe. Remember one Saturday out of the blue on Football Focus, maybe because a World Cup was approaching, they showed a goal he’d recently scored which was ridiculously good - looked like he’d gone round every player on the park before scoring.

Probably I’d say Zlatan, a genuine entertainer and very funny with it.

Used to love watching big Cyrillic Regis on MOTD. No dinking it over the keeper or placing it to the side when he was running through on the goal, just absolutely leathered it

This isn’t going to be popular.

I grew up with Liverpool as my English team.

John Barnes was an outstanding talent. Underrated in my opinion. I’m sure the Brazil game where he scored the wonder goal was live on tv. Maradona type goal.
Yeah, great player, I’d also say underrated, for me he was up there with Dalglish. Wonder what might have happened if he’d started against Argentina in 86 instead of only being subbed on with 15 minutes left. Totally changed the game in England’s favour for these last 15 minutes.

Back