Your team for the final

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d sacrifice Cantwell and start with Sterling at the top of the diamond. Try and force them to go long to Kyogo which Aberdeen did really well recently.

Butland
Tav Balogun Davies Ridvan
Dio. Lundstram
McCausland Sterling Silva
Dessers

Feel for Cantwell, as he played well the other day, but Sterling would add physicality to start. Gives us a good option off the bench. Our injuries are ridiculous. We really don’t have much in the way of game changing players.

Butland

Tavernier
Balogun
Davies
Yilmaz

McCausland
Sterling
Raskin
Diomande

Cantwell

Dessers
I’d go with this or similar.

Press them high in midfield with Cantwell free role and hope that Dessers can convert a chance or two.

I don’t think PC will go with this though.
It’s too different from our usual set up and there is a risk it can go to shit very quickly.
(Though our last formations have been going to shit regularly.)

Butland

Sterling Balogun Davies Fraser

Raskin Diomande Cantwell

McCausland Dessers Silva

On the off chance Balogun didn't make it, Id love Sterling over and play Tav. I mean what the hell, he's got to concentrate eventually.

Lundstram should’ve been told to clear his locker after that shameful display at parkhead. I’ll be very disappointed if he even makes the squad for the final.

He is not due the chance of redemption.
As much as I agree, none of the options I’ve read so far make me feel more confident than playing him.
He’s still the best player we have for that position.

Last edited:
I suspect this is what we’ll go with.
The strong concern with this formation is we’ll get overrun in midfield again.
I’d sooner we dropped the 4-2-3-1 for games against them.
Go to a more 4-3-2-1 shape but I can’t see it.
It’ll be interesting to see if Cantwell gets picked this time. Would be interesting to know the logic of dropping him at Parkhead.
My front 6 would be
Lundstram Sterling Diomande
……Sima………….Cantwell
………….Dessers
You’re in the right place.
Plenty on here agreed with it before the game.

Try mixing it up at last go ,,,
Butland
Sterling Balogan Davies Yilmaz

McCausland Raskin Diomande Dowell

Dessers Silva

Give the Tait's something to think about when the midfield isn't just given up for hopeful breakaways or counter attack football.

He was our most consistent midfielder up until a month ago and Clement was constantly singing his praises.

I'd be starting him, if he's fit.
Probably ahead of Diomande, who has been very poor in the last 2 old firm games.
That’s different!
In that it’s thoughtful and balanced.
Can’t be having that.

If fit

Butland

Tavernier
Souttar
Balogun
Yilmaz

Sterling
Diomande
Raskin

Cantwell
Dessers
Sima
This but I’d swap Dessers for silva up top, my only consideration is silva ragdolled that Canadian fullback last time and had him on toast. But we need a striker

We cannot go into the game again with Dessers

Why do people do this?

Do you seriously think for a minute he is going to drop the captain, penalty & set piece taker for someone who although is playing very well, has featured at RB for less than 15 mins all season?

Come on man. Get real
No he won't ,and it will partly be the reason for probably losing the game, his set piece taking and penalties of late have coincided with everything else that's been wrong with his game.

Was it not bad enough dropping him from penalty duties for the LC final a few years back?
That was 5 years ago. I know what you're saying but keeping him in the team incase we get a penalty isn't the thought process I would go for.

His current form doesn't merit a starting place. If it was anyone else they would be dropped.

Well..you did say if it was my team

GK: Jack Butland

RB: Leon Balogun
CB: John Souttar
CB: Ben Davies
LB: Ridvan Yilmaz

RM: James Tavernier
CM: Dujon Sterling
CM: Bailey Rice
CM: Mohammed Diomande
LM: Todd Cantwell

ST: Cyriel Dessers

Balogun the last time he played right back in an old firm was man of the match, wasn't it the helander game? At least you would have someone who wouldn't shit it from Maeda. He's quick too and would be our best shot to match up defensively with him.

Frees up Sterling to play in midfield.

Tav at right mid gives them something different to think about let's face it he's still a danger to them from set pieces so should be in there.

Cantwell can sort of have a free role to drift inside and that gives us a more solid look in a midfield with more bodies and physicality in there with Sterling.

Admittedly don't know how much Bailey Rice has been playing for the B team or if he's particularly in form but I just feel like we need to try something in there the situation is that bad with the likes of Lundstram and Raskin being in such poor form. I saw Ryan jack was on the bench the other day but the fact he never got on suggests he was nowhere near match fit.

That was 5 years ago. I know what you're saying but keeping him in the team incase we get a penalty isn't the thought process I would go for.

His current form doesn't merit a starting place. If it was anyone else they would be dropped.
As with Lundstram, you can only drop him if you have a better option.
We don’t have a better, proven better that is, than Tavernier and anybody thinking Raskin is as good a player as Lundstram is kidding themselves.
As much as I’d like it to be true, there is no evidence of it and it wasn’t too long ago that this board wanted Raskin out of the door too.

JB

Tav / Balogun / Davies / Yilmaz
Sterling / Diomande
McCauland / Cantwell / Sima
Dessers

Is what I think Big Phil will go with.

I’d go with this or similar.

Press them high in midfield with Cantwell free role and hope that Dessers can convert a chance or two.

I don’t think PC will go with this though.
It’s too different from our usual set up and there is a risk it can go to shit very quickly.
(Though our last formations have been going to shit regularly.)
There’s no chance he plays a formation like this, we all know it’s going to be 4231 and they’ll dominate the midfield.

Butland

Sterling
Soutar
Davies
Yilmaz

McCausland
Diomande
Raskin
Lundstrum
Cantwell

Silva

Just tell Cantwell to play where he wants - he does anyway

If no injury recoveries then:

Butland

Tav Duj Davies Yilmaz

Raskin Lunny Dio

Cantwell Dessers Silva.

Harsh on McCausland, but Silva seems to play well against Johnston and Cantwell is our most creative of the mids/forwards. Need to hope Raskin and Dio are switched on, and don’t leave Lunny playing against a whole midfield himself.

That said, doubt we will line up like my team.

Anyone picking Lundstram wants to have a long hard look at themself he shouldn’t even make the team bus.

If he's fit I expect him to play.

Clement rates him very highly and over the course of the season, he's easily been our most consistent midfielder.

His form has dropped over the past few weeks, but the enforced break hopefully sees him come back refreshed.

The midfield has been wide open to quick counters in the last 2 games and celtic will exploit that.

Clement rates him very highly and over the course of the season, he's easily been our most consistent midfielder.

His form has dropped over the past few weeks, but the enforced break hopefully sees him come back refreshed.

The midfield has been wide open to quick counters in the last 2 games and celtic will exploit that.
Well I seriously hope your wrong he’s been terrible for weeks and has had one game against him in all his time.

How do you know how highly Clement rates him did he tell you?

Clement is good at polishing turds but his cloth has rah out of polish.

Clement was also very clear in his press conference the other day he will be picking players with a future.

His cowardice was on a level of the same as Senderos when he shat it and got sent off.

Its been wide open for months now, even with lundstram in there.

Butland

Sterling
Soutar
Davies
Yilmaz

McCausland
Diomande
Raskin
Lundstrum
Cantwell

Silva

Just tell Cantwell to play where he wants - he does anyway
You know mate some random selection like that is probably our best chance

Depends who is fit.

Butland

Tav
Souttar
Balogun
Yilmaz

Sterling
Raskin
Diomande

McCausland
Dessers
Cantwell

This one offers the best balance assuming Sima is not fit enough.

Would allow an extra body in midfield while also placing Cantwell on the press and their captain.

Butland

Sterling
Balogun
Davies
Yilmaz

Raskin
Diomande
Cantwell

MacCausland
Dessers
Sima

2-1 win job done!
These team threads, as much as I love them and do wish for most selections, fact is, each team for every game is always pushed as the same, every week.

Butland

Tav Balogun Davies Yilmaz

Sterling Diomande

Sima Cantwell Silva

Dessers

Sterling on the right side of the midfield two, to protect Tav who will likely be targeted again and given his drop off in form in recent weeks. I'd like to see Cantwell sit slightly deeper, play more as an 8 and ensure we have enough legs in midfield.

As much as I agree, none of the options I’ve read so far make me feel more confident than playing him.
He’s still the best player we have for that position.
For three months out of three years he’s been “the best player we have for that position”, the rest of the time he’s been dug meat. And only the cup semi final two years ago was he dominant against them, rest of the games against them he’s been as culpable as any other player.

If we have to play him due to availability of others any chance of victory evaporates imho.

Its been wide open for months now, even with lundstram in there.

It was actually at it's best when Jack and Lundstram were playing together.
That's when Clement's form was at it's strongest.

It hasn't been wide open for months.

It became a problem when Dowell and Lawrence were tried in holding positions, as they weren't familiar with the position and went walkabout at times.
Ross County away being the prime example.

Well I seriously hope your wrong he’s been terrible for weeks and has had one game against him in all his time.

How do you know how highly Clement rates him did he tell you?

Clement is good at polishing turds but his cloth has rah out of polish.

Clement was also very clear in his press conference the other day he will be picking players with a future.

His cowardice was on a level of the same as Senderos when he shat it and got sent off.

No bother mate, top input.

Sima will not be starting. We might get the last 30 minutes out him if we are lucky, and even then it might depend on the score as can't see him managing ET if it comes to it.
If that is the case he should start and see how long he lasts. Crazy to save him and then he only lasts 20 minutes and the game goes to extra time and we're Donald!

It was actually at it's best when Jack and Lundstram were playing together.
That's when Clement's form was at it's strongest.

It hasn't been wide open for months.

It became a problem when Dowell and Lawrence were tried in holding positions, as they weren't familiar with the position and went walkabout at times.
Ross County away being the prime example.
Under clement we don’t control games in the middle and are largely open in the middle. It’s been like that for a while now as much as you claim it hasn’t been. Due to his direct style we don’t control games anywhere near as much as we should.

Teams have ran through the middle of the park for a while now against us, Dundee, hibs, hearts and Ross county most recently on the mind.

Ha yes it should’ve been silva

Good spot B-D
Looked at it closely because I think that’s the likely team if everyone’s fit.

But I still think Clement will have to approach it a bit differently - he needs some sort of tactical variation Celtic won’t expect.

I just wouldn’t play anyone who doesn’t want to be there..Phil’s done it continuously now..it’s time for a change. Big John plays that many side/back passes he slows play down far too often for me
Plus he can't even get close to Hatate or O'Riley.
Another field day for those 2 if Lundstram plays.

Butland
Tavernier Balogun Davies (if Souttar not fit) Yilmaz
Sterling
McCausland Raskin Diomande Sima (if fit)
Dessers
4141 formation

Under clement we don’t control games in the middle and are largely open in the middle. It’s been like that for a while now as much as you claim it hasn’t been. Due to his direct style we don’t control games anywhere near as much as we should.

Teams have ran through the middle of the park for a while now against us, Dundee, hibs, hearts and Ross county most recently on the mind.

I think if you check the results with Jack and Lundstram playing the holding roles then we were dominating the midfield and not conceding many goals.

Gerrard loved playing 3 holding midfielders (usually Jack, Kamara and Davis), with 2 narrow forwards, (often Kent and Aribo/Arfield) playing behind Roofe, Defoe or Morelos, with our full backs providing the width.
That's the formation I'd like to see in the final, but there's little to no chance of that.

Why do people do this?

Do you seriously think for a minute he is going to drop the captain, penalty & set piece taker for someone who although is playing very well, has featured at RB for less than 15 mins all season?

Come on man. Get real
Don't forget that he also takes all the shy's.

I expect Clement will play this team:

Butland

Tav Balogun Souttar Yilmaz

Diomande Lundstram

Sterling Cantwell Silva

Dessers

Personally I would have Lundstram out the team and Sterling in the middle, however i reckon this is what we'll be facing them with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back