Zeb Jacobs.

Feels as if our academy is in constant upheaval, restructuring and personnel moving around and coming in and out in order to find some sort of magic solution.

I've regularly questioned the actual existence of an academy at Rangers. I'm still not convinced it serves much purpose.

Anyone know the annual cost of this ???

Feels as if our academy is in constant upheaval, restructuring and personnel moving around and coming in and out in order to find some sort of magic solution.

I've regularly questioned the actual existence of an academy at Rangers. I'm still not convinced it serves much purpose.

Not sure of the cost but we need an Academy otherwise we can't enter European Competitions

I don't think replacing someone who runs your academy after just a few years is the way to go but it's also clear that our academy isn't producing the amount of good young players we need.

That said, I don't know if he's been good but these type of projects tend to take 5-10 years before actual improvement should be seen from youngsters moving into the first team.

Not sure of the cost but we need an Academy otherwise we can't enter European Competitions
It's also heavily funded by sfa/uefa/fifa

Every training hour counts towards money recieved from funding

Then every player even if they move between Scottish clubs gets a fee as youth players in that development transfers

Then once they sign contracts we are entitled to percentage of fees of any future transfers the longer they are with us the bigger the percentage

Patterson, Ferguson, Hutton and others have probably paid for it and some.

If he has been offered the chance to go to Feyenoord he should go. Their academy is night and day compared to ours, it’s a million miles better.

There’s far more of a link with first team and an onus on the manager their to use Academy players.
Yep.

Would be mad to turn it down to be honest.

Clubs like Feyenoord, Ajax etc have proper academies - ours is just a token gesture with barely any benefit.

It's also heavily funded by sfa/uefa/fifa

Every training hour counts towards money recieved from funding

Then every player even if they move between Scottish clubs gets a fee as youth players in that development transfers

Then once they sign contracts we are entitled to percentage of fees of any future transfers the longer they are with us the bigger the percentage
And fans with things like lotto, bricks, rising stars etc.

Not sure how much the Academy actually costs the club.

Should be a structure in place that means whoever is overseeing things can be replaced easily, and whoever comes in can continue on with minimal issues in the same role.
Uhm there’s a thought you have a sort of Technical Director of Football at Board level in mind i assume

We could even call them DoF

It’s something that should be properly explained by the Chairman imo

Some amongst whom?
Players?
Board?
Staff?
Fanbase?

Players, fans and families.

Posters on here won’t say anything as they believe their access to games will be removed. A lots of parent less than complimentary on him and the set up under him.

However we have these under every academy director, so some sour grapes are possibly a reason.

He'll arrange games of barefoot football for fun over there.

Quite the time of upheaval for the academy with Cammy Campbell not long away to Leipzig. At least our coaches are in demand.

Seen another guy leave, for the life of me I can’t remember his name but he was well thought of as well as CC.

Posters on here won’t say anything as they believe their access to games will be removed. A lots of parent less than complimentary on him and the set up under him.

However we have these under every academy director, so some sour grapes are possibly a reason.
Obviously I’m not at the academy but what I wonder is what makes parents think they know better over a highly paid professional re football development ? Can anyone explain this ? Is it that they feel the same way about mathematics and physics and languages ?

And not from the Police either

giphy.webp

Yep.

Would be mad to turn it down to be honest.

Clubs like Feyenoord, Ajax etc have proper academies - ours is just a token gesture with barely any benefit.

Well it has a huge benefit as it means we are granted license to play in Europe. They have proper academies cause they have a pathway which allows young players to prosper we have nothing after u18s which stops players development as well as dinosaurs in charge of clubs in Scotland.

Anytime a kid does make it through they're given about 5 games before they're written off as pish on here.

Obviously I’m not at the academy but what I wonder is what makes parents think they know better over a highly paid professional re football development ? Can anyone explain this ? Is it that they feel the same way about mathematics and physics and languages ?
How about looking at it another way , What has Zeb Jacob’s done to prove he is the right man to develop footballers for our club he has no history of doing so, like most younger coaches nowadays he does a great power point presentation and says all the buzzwords. Why don’t we appoint someone who has a history of bringing through players cos the last 3 haven’t had that ,

Whenever I hear him speak it all sounds like it came out of the same marketing manual Ross Wilson swallowed!!!
It's no wonder we're not developing players.

Their wee brains are frazzled by bullshit buzz words and their eyes are dazzled by PowerPoint nonsense overload.

We're kidding ourselves on that we're running a proper academy that we can rely on talent from.

Get back to basics or simply run it to the bare minimum so that we maintain our European licence.

How about looking at it another way , What has Zeb Jacob’s done to prove he is the right man to develop footballers for our club he has no history of doing so, like most younger coaches nowadays he does a great power point presentation and says all the buzzwords. Why don’t we appoint someone who has a history of bringing through players cos the last 3 haven’t had that ,

We have posters complimenting Feyenoord as well as criticising Jacobs, along with the mind-numbing references to ‘why bother with an academy’.

It appears he has something beyond buzzwords.

The coaches and scouts are saying the same thing as the parents. I don’t know him but I trust people who do and they are telling me he’s a melt.

Instead of constantly buying sub standard players we should give youth a proper chance. And I’m not talking about 5 or 10 mins here and there.
Our youth teams are quite poor and have been for a number of years

Seems to be that one of the u16’s and upwards teams are getting beat every other week.

If they can’t beat teams in their own age group then how are they expected to be good enough to not only break into the first team but also in your case be the first team.

People get starry eyed over youth prospects and I get to an extent why but ultimately when it comes down to it our record for producing 1st team talent is exceptionally poor

Our youth teams are quite poor and have been for a number of years

Seems to be that one of the u16’s and upwards teams are getting beat every other week.

If they can’t beat teams in their own age group then how are they expected to be good enough to not only break into the first team but also in your case be the first team.

People get starry eyed over youth prospects and I get to an extent why but ultimately when it comes down to it our record for producing 1st team talent is exceptionally poor

Cause the system isn't their to support their development the club have in a way played a part in that by removing the B team from the Lowland League but also we have nothing in the country for them to continue their development after the U18 league. The clubs need to get together and do what's best for youth development in the country instead of looking after their own interests.

Think some people look too much into youth results if you get 1 or 2 through a year then we are doing well. Just have too look at the abuse Leon King took on here cause he wasn't ready for champions league football and now it's McCausland turn. People talk a good game about wanting youth to progress and are then the first ones to jump on their backs.

Cause the system isn't their to support their development the club have in a way played a part in that by removing the B team from the Lowland League but also we have nothing in the country for them to continue their development after the U18 league. The clubs need to get together and do what's best for youth development in the country instead of looking after their own interests.

Think some people look too much into youth results if you get 1 or 2 through a year then we are doing well. Just have too look at the abuse Leon King took on here cause he wasn't ready for champions league football and now it's McCausland turn. People talk a good game about wanting youth to progress and are then the first ones to jump on their backs.
Couldn’t agree more with both points made on this post tbh

Youth development in this country is pathetic and the fact there is not a full league pyramid for reserve/B teams is inexcusable.

Having our B team in the Lowland league also wasn’t particularly beneficial as they were playing against players and teams that are 5 levels below them.

They should be playing against other clubs youth academies as it is a similar level to them and most importantly regular football.

Couldn’t agree more with both points made on this post tbh

Youth development in this country is pathetic and the fact there is not a full league pyramid for reserve/B teams is inexcusable.

Having our B team in the Lowland league also wasn’t particularly beneficial as they were playing against players and teams that are 5 levels below them.

They should be playing against other clubs youth academies as it is a similar level to them and most importantly regular football.

Yeah standard won't be great in the Lowland League but 34 league games in a way gets them to prepare for how it might be were they to get to the first team. Learning how to look after their body/recovery after the games and you then have them playing challenge cup, some u18 Scottish cup games , potentially 6 Youth League games in Europe and the Glasgow Cup so nearly about 50 games a season. Must surely be better than hoping for a friendly against an EPL side?

The whole system in Scotland needs looked at especially the Pyramid but the B teams should be in there and allowed promotion to at least League one. There needs to be something after the U18 league to bridge the gap but also for development purposes for them to continue if they're not ready for first team football.

We’ve lost experienced members of staff from Academy as well. Know one that wasn’t very complimentary of ZJ’s approach and said we are playing at it now in our Academy.

Back