Zeb Jacobs.

With the line of work hes in, Id say its not a good look having a change of employer every couple of years. Doesnt look good on the CV.

Is there anything tangible to show for his time with us? Can he point to any improvements and say “this was my input”?

If he can fair enough. If not, its all bluster and moody instagram photos at conferences.

He must be doing something right if Feyenoord are sniffing about.

Will be moving to one of the more productive academies in the world.

I wonder where the 'good coaches' who left because of him will end up.

We'll be lucky to have anybody appearing from the older age groups currently in our academy and there's a lot of reasons for that, that existed before Jacobs turned up. I say that as someone who isn't a huge fan of him in all honesty.

How about looking at it another way , What has Zeb Jacob’s done to prove he is the right man to develop footballers for our club he has no history of doing so, like most younger coaches nowadays he does a great power point presentation and says all the buzzwords. Why don’t we appoint someone who has a history of bringing through players cos the last 3 haven’t had that ,
The coaches and scouts are saying the same thing as the parents. I don’t know him but I trust people who do and they are telling me he’s a melt.

As i originally posted I’m not privy to any of the detail be it personality or relations or technical but I do stand by a professionals expertise over others .

It’s easy to say someone is crap . Really easy . Anyone can do that . We do it every day .

But at some point we need to make an appointment and provide them a base to move forward .

You should take it to the AGM and frame proper questions for the Board to explain the appointment and why he was so crap .

With the line of work hes in, Id say its not a good look having a change of employer every couple of years. Doesnt look good on the CV.

Is there anything tangible to show for his time with us? Can he point to any improvements and say “this was my input”?

If he can fair enough. If not, its all bluster and moody instagram photos at conferences.
Isn’t that what current generations do change company and role fairly regularly ? Seems that way to me that those in there 30s and below run there careers that way . They have less commitment and loyalty to employers because they know companies have no real regard for them . It’s now understood by the employees.

Last edited:
If he has been offered the chance to go to Feyenoord he should go. Their academy is night and day compared to ours, it’s a million miles better.

There’s far more of a link with first team and an onus on the manager their to use Academy players.
Surely his job is to bridge that link?

Never knew that, who has left?
It’s academy staff mate and they are normal people so I wouldn’t be comfortable naming them in an open forum.

The general sentiments towards him, and other senior academy staff that have also left, are that Auchenhowie was a horrible place to work. Socio-economic and academic status was a variable when opinions were voiced.

For those saying that the scouts or coaches don’t know more about producing footballers than some PowerPoint wiz kid from Belgium are kidding themselves.

For what it’s worth, the Celtic academy don’t seem to have the same issues. This is 100% an area we should be focusing on or else we will be left behind.

As i originally posted I’m not privy to any of the detail be it personality or relations or technical but I do stand by a professionals expertise over others .

It’s easy to say someone is crap . Really easy . Anyone can do that . We do it every day .

But at some point we need to make an appointment and provide them a base to move forward .

You should take it to the AGM and frame proper questions for the Board to explain the appointment and why he was so crap .
Agreed, but instead of trying to be really fancy and appointing a kid to run our academy, maybe we should appoint someone with experience of producing Scottish footballers.

FWIW, David Gold, Alistair Stevenson and Kevin Thomson are all appropriate candidates to run our academy.

We do need a pathway for the 18-21 age group however, and that is down the national body to provide a platform for the kids.

Players, fans and families.

Posters on here won’t say anything as they believe their access to games will be removed. A lots of parent less than complimentary on him and the set up under him.

However we have these under every academy director, so some sour grapes are possibly a reason.
Undoubtedly.
Every kid that fails has a “didn’t get a fair chance” label applied by disappointed parents and family members.

I read up about him when he joined us and it really seemed even then that he wasn't the right fit for us and what we needed. It was a strange appointment.

With the constant change at the "Academy" it's no wonder that it's all over the place.

Agreed, but instead of trying to be really fancy and appointing a kid to run our academy, maybe we should appoint someone with experience of producing Scottish footballers.

FWIW, David Gold, Alistair Stevenson and Kevin Thomson are all appropriate candidates to run our academy.

We do need a pathway for the 18-21 age group however, and that is down the national body to provide a platform for the kids.
What experience does KT have to run our Academy? His own academy is to make him money, nothing like an elite pro academy.
Alistair Stevenson is a good shout but maybe too big a remit for him at this time. I’m not sure what age he is now.

I assume he’s not particularly highly thought of at Auchenhowie judging by some of these posts?
I've heard he isn't.

Just on this thread right enough, heard nothing prior to reading it here.

Well it has a huge benefit as it means we are granted license to play in Europe. They have proper academies cause they have a pathway which allows young players to prosper we have nothing after u18s which stops players development as well as dinosaurs in charge of clubs in Scotland.

Anytime a kid does make it through they're given about 5 games before they're written off as pish on here.
Very true.
If they’re not a Derek Johnstone, Iain Durrant or Barry Ferguson, you’re not going to make it.
One of the things I hate at a game is hearing a fan moan about a young player’s ability and telling him what he should be doing.

Again I’ve no idea on who can do the job nor what the job specification and interview process asks candidates to example .

Only point I’ve seen of note recently re development players is a comment PC made that suggested certain talents have not made the grade in there off the ball skills . Is that a theme I wonder and would that be an issue owned by ZJ in his present role or his earlier one with the club ?

It’s academy staff mate and they are normal people so I wouldn’t be comfortable naming them in an open forum.

The general sentiments towards him, and other senior academy staff that have also left, are that Auchenhowie was a horrible place to work. Socio-economic and academic status was a variable when opinions were voiced.

For those saying that the scouts or coaches don’t know more about producing footballers than some PowerPoint wiz kid from Belgium are kidding themselves.

For what it’s worth, the Celtic academy don’t seem to have the same issues. This is 100% an area we should be focusing on or else we will be left behind.
Who are all these youth players at Celtic that are playing in their first team?

What experience does KT have to run our Academy? His own academy is to make him money, nothing like an elite pro academy.
Alistair Stevenson is a good shout but maybe too big a remit for him at this time. I’m not sure what age he is now.
KT is working for Hibs now as well as running his own academy. Stevenson has a great record and he also brought through Gold and KT at Hibs. I am just suggesting that we don’t need to go far to get an adequate academy director, there are plenty of good candidates already working in our area.

Welsh, Ralston and McGregor have a trophy haul our senior players could only dream of. We have McCausland as a regular starter in our team.
I will just assume that you are fishing :)). Even the most rancid of rancid bheasts wouldn't try to use Welsh and Ralston as some sort of barometer as to how much more productive their youth department is than ours.

Last edited:
Crazy money to spend for almost 0 return.

Benfica spend about £9 million a season on theirs and get superstar after superstar.
Could you put Silva in the superstar bracket? he started there and was a 35m ( next Ronaldo)

Surely his job is to bridge that link?
He’s part of process, but it’s not the responsibility of one guy to ensure we start producing players that are good enough or to employ managers that give young players a chance.

Can argue the merits of Jacobs work so far, but he’s not been in current role that long.

It was Beale that appointed Jacobs during his first spell with us, appointed Jacobs on recommendation of Liverpool assistant Pep Ljinders.

Just when I see people linking him to Ross Wilson. Not that want to stick up for Wilson!

Our youth teams are quite poor and have been for a number of years

Seems to be that one of the u16’s and upwards teams are getting beat every other week.

If they can’t beat teams in their own age group then how are they expected to be good enough to not only break into the first team but also in your case be the first team.

People get starry eyed over youth prospects and I get to an extent why but ultimately when it comes down to it our record for producing 1st team talent is exceptionally poor
Agreed - results aren’t the whole story at youth level, but losing matches at any level is not what I want to see.

When there’s a clamour to “play the youths” it usually means our first team squad is weak, and rarely will playing any youths make a meaningful difference to results.

The last youth player that I had high hopes for was Lowry, and things don’t look great on that front.

McCausland, despite showing a little bit of promise, I would expect to be eased out of the squad next season by better incoming players.

King won’t make it with us, I expect him to leave in the summer, and I have no real hopes for Bailey Rice either. Rory Wilson looked good, but went to Villa, fair enough.

I don’t know what the answer is, but Jacobs isn’t getting a ringing endorsement on this thread.

He’s part of process, but it’s not the responsibility of one guy to ensure we start producing players that are good enough or to employ managers that give young players a chance.

Can argue the merits of Jacobs work so far, but he’s not been in current role that long.
I think it is a worrying sign that he's not been in the role long and from reading the comments on here has managed to create a poor working environment and alienate coaches, players and parents.

Even more worrying is it seems the people employing them are easily taken in by all the bullshit talk, buzz words and powerpoint presentations.

If we aren't getting things right at the lower age groups who seem to be regularly horsed then that doesn't bode well for creating players for the first team.

People on here always seem to slag our coaches etc despite never working with them so he’s just the next in a long line.
Strange that no one has ever mentioned any problems with him before this thread, and those that have are unable to explain what the issues are supposed to be

If he can fair enough. If not, its all bluster and moody instagram photos at conconferences

3-4 years max in a role and you. Become stake in that role unless you have settled and is the only job you want is same nearly every job

Doing away with the reserves fvcked the youth set up, playing against highland league teams is not the answer. Seeing the results of the youth teams doesn`t fill you with hope that some of them will be able to make the step up.

Strange that no one has ever mentioned any problems with him before this thread, and those that have are unable to explain what the issues are supposed to be

Some don’t want to say anything as I’ve mentioned as they have been warned they can have their access removed to RTC, others don’t want to risk their jobs or their children’s place at the RTC.

Doing away with the reserves fvcked the youth set up, playing against highland league teams is not the answer. Seeing the results of the youth teams doesn`t fill you with hope that some of them will be able to make the step up.

The grand idea was promotion upto the championship for B teams until the SPFL fumbled and couldn’t get it over the line like they claimed at the start.

Would need a big culture change within the fans. But I think that is required anyway.
We need to realise that not every player is going to be a superstar. But we at least need to give them the opportunity to try. And the more experience they get from playing in the first team in the atmosphere of Ibrox can only help their development

Feyenoord is working on the arrival of Zeb Jacobs. The Belgian is seen as the suitable successor to Rini Coolen, who will say goodbye to the Feyenoord Academy after this season. The 57-year-old Coolen has been working as head of youth training at the Rotterdam club since 2021. This is reported by 1908.nl.Jacobs currently works at Rangers FC as Academy Director.

The Belgian was previously employed by Royal Antwerp FC and KV Mechelen. Jacobs is seen as a top candidate by general manager Dennis te Kloese, while previously the name of Glenn van der Kraan was being circulated to fill the vacant vacancy.Jacobs can expect a formal offer from Feyenoord this week. Both parties have previously had excellent discussions.

The stadium club knows that it has competition from a club in the English top, but is hopeful of completing the deal soon. Since Jacobs has a notice period in his contract, Feyenoord does not have to contact Rangers FC.It is no surprise that Feyenoord ends up with Jacobs. The Belgian has made a name for himself because of his modern and innovative way of working. This attracted attention in Europe and made the switch to Rangers FC in 2022. He is now seen as the ideal candidate for the Rotterdam club.
==
To be honest, the guy behind 1908.nl is a grade a fud who's lost all his insider contacts and is wrong 90% of the time, if you tell him this you get blocked lol.

The results don't really mean much though its all about player development. We aren't relying on 11 of the u18s for example to take us forward or 11 of the u16s in a couple of years time. Not every youth player we have will make it with us either and it's the same at every other club.

Since the Brexit rules came in as well the EPL clubs are coming up here and taking the better ones we have down south which we simply can't compete with.

Agreed - results aren’t the whole story at youth level, but losing matches at any level is not what I want to see.

When there’s a clamour to “play the youths” it usually means our first team squad is weak, and rarely will playing any youths make a meaningful difference to results.

The last youth player that I had high hopes for was Lowry, and things don’t look great on that front.

McCausland, despite showing a little bit of promise, I would expect to be eased out of the squad next season by better incoming players.

King won’t make it with us, I expect him to leave in the summer, and I have no real hopes for Bailey Rice either. Rory Wilson looked good, but went to Villa, fair enough.

I don’t know what the answer is, but Jacobs isn’t getting a ringing endorsement on this thread.

Thing is with Lowry though if rumours were to believed about his attitude then that's on him and theres been others before with talent like Mcpake and Kai Kennedy. Talent only takes you so far need to have the attitiude to succeed as well and you mention McCausland he was on trial with De Graafschap and they didn't want to sign him came back got his head down worked hard for his opportunity and now in the first team squad. He shouldn't really be chased either as a squad option he's absolutely fine the signing for that position should be of better quality.

King your probably right but he's a great example of people who moan about the academy not producing players. He comes in struggles badly at champions league level and that's him written off. King needs to go play games for his own development anyway in a position to settle in moving forward.

Feyenoord has signed the successor to the departing Rini Coolen. The former footballer will leave as head of youth training at the end of the season after a difference in vision arose. Zeb Jacobs will definitively become the successor to 57-year-old Coolen. According to 1908.nl, the Belgian and Feyenoord have managed to reach an agreement. The Rotterdam club thus trumps Manchester City.

The 29-year-old Jacobs currently works at Rangers FC as Academy Director. Feyenoord does not have to make a deal with the Scots, because Jacobs has a notice period in his contract, which meant that negotiations could take place without consultation with Rangers FC. Feyenoord brought in Jacobs without compensation and ended up with the Belgian through a selection committee. He emerged as the best option.

With the arrival of Jacobs, the arrival of Glenn van der Kraan is definitely over. Supervisory Board Sjaak Troost made a strong case for the current Head of Coaching of Manchester City. General manager Dennis te Kloese decided to go for the best option from the selection committee. Feyenoord managed to win the battle with Manchester City by entering the negotiation process with a better plan and more conviction.

Wonder who we go for as a replacement? Do we change tact, or do we go for someone of a similar background. I'm hoping it's the latter, the old school Scottish way has bore us little fruit in the past.

A lot of ridicule has been chucked at him on this thread, yet he came from a club that has a good record of developing players. He's now heading to a club that have been brilliant at producing youth players in recent years.

He's obviously well respected in his field. Likes to push boundaries. Which of course gets you flak in Scotland, especially Scottish football. Given how primitive our footballing culture is, it's not really a shock.

We have the guy who oversees our entire Academy operation on a contract with a one month notice period?! Is that normal for these sort of roles does anyone know?

Back