Point your fingers at the board, not the manager...

Standards1972

Pedro should have gone after Progres because it set us up for the situation that we have now; a manager working with a raft of new signings with no margin for error, no manager can manage under that pressure let alone manage us.

It was a stick or twist moment for me and the board bottled it, I do wonder if the Pena/Herrera deals hadn’t just been finalised whether they might have pulled the trigger.

For a club that is trying to rebuild the huge swings in attitude we are seeing game to game is entirely unhelpful, it’s absolutely hysterical either way.

I haven’t entirely written off Pedro as a total dud personally but I set my expectations based on the reality and I can hear and see that he has little support.

A new manager that would arrive with a fresh tank of ‘good will’ is a necessity given that dropping more points in the short term is almost a certainty.

Who's idea was it to spend 4m on two Mexican players?

7m to finish above Aberdeen was his remit, that and don't embarrass us against the filth.

We'll see next Saturday where we are on both scores

Right now I'm worried we'll be at least 8 points behind Aberdeen never mind the filth

He's been backed massively and made an arse of it. That's down to him.

I agree he should have been punted after Progres but understand why they didn't I suppose. What do they do now? How bad does it get before they act?

The Progres result left us all in complete shock, the board wouldn't have know what to do after backing him with all the cash. He'll be gone in then next ten days, think that's a certainly

He's been backed massively and made an arse of it. That's down to him.

I agree he should have been punted after Progres but understand why they didn't I suppose. What do they do now? How bad does it get before they act?

Nothing gets done without board approval.

They should have seen this situation coming, everyone called it pre-season that he basically had to win every game up to Celtic.

We made some huge mistakes prior to appointing Pedro Caixinha.

Firstly, Douglas Park's son should never have had such influence and control over the recruitment of the new manager. I fully understand the politics of the situation with regards the Park's but the process was potentially always going to be biased towards taking on Pedro Mendes client. I am not suggesting anything untoward before anyone starts! The appointment was 100% done in good faith however I think their judgement was clouded.

Secondly it was absolutely mental to appoint a manager BEFORE appointing a Director of Football. The DoF had to play a pivotal role in the recruitment of the new manager. It was completely backwards to appoint the manager first then a DoF months later.

you have to laugh at all you lot above, until last night he was "finally getting things right" and "the team is gelling" comments of some hope and positivity, and one draw and we are back to doom and gloom.
Will be interesting to see what you all say if we actually do well against the dhims..will you change your mind again?

The fresh tank of goodwill with a new manager wouldn't last if we drew or lost the first few games. We have the most fickle support in the world who love nothing better than to moan, swing wildly with opinions and are quick to jump in with the "told you so" attitude when it comes to it

I've already said time and again that in a business manner this board is fantastic.
Football wise I don't think they've got a clue

Firstly, Douglas Park's son should never have had such influence and control over the recruitment of the new manager. I fully understand the politics of the situation with regards the Park's but the process was potentially always going to be biased towards taking on Pedro Mendes client. I am not suggesting anything untoward before anyone starts! The appointment was 100% done in good faith however I think their judgement was clouded.

Secondly it was absolutely mental to appoint a manager BEFORE appointing a Director of Football. The DoF had to play a pivotal role in the recruitment of the new manager. It was completely backwards to appoint the manager first then a DoF months later.

Not a lot to argue with there in all honesty.

The sympathy and excuses have ran out for Pedro for me. I like him but it's like defending the indefensible at times with him.

Very good post.

Beating Progres wouldn't have made Pedro a great manager, and losing to them doesn't make him a terrible manager.

The start to the league season has been patchy - there's no denying that. But if you want to go down the road of dismissing managers after half a dozen league games because we aren't where we want to be, then that sets a ludicrous precedent and you'll be doomed to failure indefinitely.

We must finish at least 2nd in the league this season. Being behind Celtc is never acceptable as such, but right now it is understandable. If we can trim the points gap by a significant margin on last season, Pedro should stay.

He needs at least the season - and by that I don't mean the autumn.

Like most managers Pedro needs time but that is something that we do not have to give him.

Don't agree progress was the time to go, he at least deserves a chance with his own players.

My question is why did we take such a gamble with an unknown manager at such a critical time for our recovery, because he came across well in an interview? Football is not like your every day businesses

you have to laugh at all you lot above, until last night he was "finally getting things right" and "the team is gelling" comments of some hope and positivity, and one draw and we are back to doom and gloom.
Will be interesting to see what you all say if we actually do well against the dhims..will you change your mind again?
This is something that mystified and worried me.

We had won 2 games in a row in the league. The clubs media made a point during interviews with the manager/players of emphasising that we are now on a "good run" and in a "run of form". Call me old fashioned but winning two games in a row at Rangers is something you don't even blink twice at, it should be nothing other than routine.

Fans also started getting rather giddy and excited over the two wins in a row. Like you referenced, people started to think things were moving in a better direction.

However we have seen this before, a couple of wins then we draw or lose against some mediocre lot again. It's the pattern of a poor manager, team and a club with no ambition.

If your happy with 2 wins in a row and get awfully excited about it, seriously go support Hamilton or Motherwell because they can knock out a couple of wins on the bounce for fun.

pay decent money on a proven manager who knows what he's doing and the money he'll save by building a team from what we have and a few additions will pay for himself tenfold.

A new manager that would arrive with a fresh tank of ‘good will’ is a necessity given that dropping more points in the short term is almost a certainty.

That fresh tank of goodwill a new manager would carry would be empty after the first old firm defeat he encounters.

We're now the Celtic of the 90s stumbling through one managerial appointment after another if problems aren't instantly solved.

The Rangers support has no patience left.

pay decent money on a proven manager who knows what he's doing and the money he'll save by building a team from what we have and a few additions will pay for himself tenfold.

Aren't we allegedly paying Pedro the guts of £16,000 a week before you throw in the £400,000 we paid to get him here early ?

Not exactly chump change.

This is something that mystified and worried me.

We had won 2 games in a row in the league. The clubs media made a point during interviews with the manager/players of emphasising that we are now on a "good run" and in a "run of form". Call me old fashioned but winning two games in a row at Rangers is something you don't even blink twice at, it should be nothing other than routine.

Fans also started getting rather giddy and excited over the two wins in a row. Like you referenced, people started to think things were moving in a better direction.

However we have seen this before, a couple of wins then we draw or lose against some mediocre lot again. It's the pattern of a poor manager, team and a club with no ambition.

If your happy with 2 wins in a row and get awfully excited about it, seriously go support Hamilton or Motherwell because they can knock out a couple of wins on the bounce for fun.

The amount of fans dining out after beating Ross County and Dundee was wild.

Turned the corner? Finally getting it right! Where are the Pedro haters now?

On the football side of things, the board are clueless. We are a football club.

The situation is a mess.
With regards to the daily running of the club we are, in my honest opinion, understaffed and lacking in seriously impressive professionals.

The man from Motherwell FC Mr Robertson, on the face of it, is criminally out his depth.

The amount of fans dining out after beating Ross County and Dundee was wild.

Turned the corner? Finally getting it right! Where are the Pedro haters now?
Honestly mate it truly mystified and worried me.

2 wins means absolutely jack shit. Like I said Motherwell/Hamilton can do that.

Either the fans are delighted with that and that is now our standard or I'm out of touch completely.

Here we have it again. An average performance at a difficult venue (where the likes of the Scum and Aberdeen stormed away with points ... aye right) and instantly this stuff resurfaces.

A totally bipolar relation with reality that sets in when you put each game each week under the microscope, as if it is just us that is out there on the park. No opposition, no ref! Either we are good or we are rubbish and heads must roll. If FF had any say in managerial appointments and removals, we'd have 12 managers a season.

Aren't we allegedly paying Pedro the guts of £16,000 a week before you throw in the £400,000 we paid to get him here early ?

Not exactly chump change.
I didn't know his wage tbh. I suppose the emphasis should be on the 'proven' part.
He was backed so we should've been able to attract someone who knew what he was doing.

Said before but if Pedro is binned/chucks it in the near future then Robertson should fall on his sword as well.

Pedro alone can't be accountable. It will have been a monumental fu.ck up from several who need to take responsibility.

Agreed and I have been saying this for a while.

We needed the best manager we could afford, and we got another un proven out of his depth manager.

After progres, sack him or back him.

Instead we cut the spending and fudged it again, like we did when Warbs fucked up the cup final.

Beating Progres wouldn't have made Pedro a great manager, and losing to them doesn't make him a terrible manager.

The start to the league season has been patchy - there's no denying that. But if you want to go down the road of dismissing managers after half a dozen league games because we aren't where we want to be, then that sets a ludicrous precedent and you'll be doomed to failure indefinitely.

We must finish at least 2nd in the league this season. Being behind Celtc is never acceptable as such, but right now it is understandable. If we can trim the points gap by a significant margin on last season, Pedro should stay.

Absolutely spot on.

PC will get the season bar a disaster. Some are a f*cking disgrace on here. Want a return to the "glory days" of being tens of millions in debt.

We lack something in the final third. Dorrans showed a glimpse of his quality at the edge of the box last night yet Pedro (and many fans) still think he's more suited to the holding midfield role.

Dorrans has been good so far in that position, but he could be great if he was played in his natural position. It's simple to see, and not such a difficult thing to fix.

The signings of Pena & Herrera will cost him his job. Horrendous piece of business wasting that amount of cash on them.

Jock Wallace lost his first two games of the 77-78 season and plenty wanted him sacked
Give the manager time and judge him at end of seasom

Some common sense above. It's not as good as we all want but the problem is the quality of the players we can afford not the manager I don't believe. We had to bring in a raft of players at relatively low cost in comparison to what Celtic have been able to spend in the recent past. Some look good acquisitions, Morelos, Jack the standouts, Dorrans, Candeias blow hot and cold. Some like Herrera, Pena the jury is very much out, and some like Dalcio are simply not good enough.

This is always the case signing players, Souness, Smith, McLeish, even Advocaat signed some right duds.

We need get the heads down work hard and try and do whatever it takes to get over the line. Some we will not manage to achieve, like last night, because the quality is not quite there. Sacking the manager is not going to help that. I'm pretty sure Pedro will know already what has worked and what hasn't and where his attention needs to be in the January transfer window.

Back