CL spot for second place?

Also the chance of a side winning it and not getting a CL place in their league.

So we wouldn't get a group stay fly by…

What level of opposition for each round potentially?
2nd qualifying round (6 teams) will feature the runners up from Austria, Scotland, Ukraine, Turkey, Denmark and Cyprus

3rd round (8 teams) will feature the winners of the 2nd round plus runners up from Netherlands, Russia and Belgium.

3rd round also has 3rd place from Portugal and France

The play off round (4 teams) is just the winners of the 3rd round ties

What level of opposition for each round potentially?
It’s the non-champions route which is harder.

The likes of Monaco, Benfica, Sparta Moscow, Shakhtar Donetsk, Genk, PSV, Galatasaray etc were in it last year

Remember our club coefficient is pretty good so I reckon we’ll be seeded for QR2 and QR3 and unseeded for PO round.

Some other posters are better informed than me on this.

We would be capable of qualifying although it would be very hard. The scum would have no chance because they are total punchbags in Europe.

However I think we all accept that at the end of the season several key players will be sold and there will be an overhaul of the playing squad, especially if we don’t win the league, so realistically we would be going into these qualifiers with a very new looking team and that will make it even harder to qualify.

As it stands the 2nd round would be us, Wolfsberg, Dynamo Kiev, Konyaspor, Midtjylland and Anorthosis. 3rd would bring in the likes of Nice, Benfica, PSV, Dynamo Moscow and Brugge.
If we come second and have to navigate these qualifiers you just know that either Joey Veerman or Andreas Skov Olsen will score the goal to knock us out resulting in the mother of all meltdowns on FF.

As it stands the 2nd round would be us, Wolfsberg, Dynamo Kiev, Konyaspor, Midtjylland and Anorthosis. 3rd would bring in the likes of Nice, Benfica, PSV, Dynamo Moscow and Brugge.

Good teams no doubt, but qualifying by this route is far from impossible. The only reason people dismiss our chances is due to the scum's totally abysmal record in European qualifying over the years, and our capitulation to Malmo which is making people think it's harder than it is.

We would be at least 50/50 or better with most of those teams IMO.

It looks an impossible task getting through all those rounds, some tough games even in rnd 2. Be better of not being in it at all.
Squad will be knackered by the time we even kicked off the group stages,
just another massive advantage to the Super Clubs.

It’s the non-champions route which is harder.

The likes of Monaco, Benfica, Sparta Moscow, Shakhtar Donetsk, Genk, PSV, Galatasaray etc were in it last year

Remember our club coefficient is pretty good so I reckon we’ll be seeded for QR2 and QR3 and unseeded for PO round.

Some other posters are better informed than me on this.

We would be seeded for all rounds going by the current list of teams in those positions as far as I can see.

Only team with a higher club coefficient than us right now is Benfica.

2nd qualifying round (6 teams) will feature the runners up from Austria, Scotland, Ukraine, Turkey, Denmark and Cyprus

3rd round (8 teams) will feature the winners of the 2nd round plus runners up from Netherlands, Russia and Belgium.

3rd round also has 3rd place from Portugal and France

The play off round (4 teams) is just the winners of the 3rd round ties
Something you would want to avoid if you can!

Champions League qualifications is tough

Would be difficult but not impossible.

Would be some laugh if we did end up getting in it this way, therefore diluting celtics share of the money.

If we don't win the league that is

Good teams no doubt, but qualifying by this route is far from impossible. The only reason people dismiss our chances is due to the scum's totally abysmal record in European qualifying over the years, and our capitulation to Malmo which is making people think it's harder than it is.

We would be at least 50/50 or better with most of those teams IMO.
2nd round we would be favourites against all the teams we could play. 3rd round is when it gets difficult, if all the seeded teams from qr2 win then we would be playing one of Psv, Midtjylland, Dynamo Moscow or Nice, from that group only the danes we would be clear favourites against and there's another round after that.

It's not impossible but it's still difficult. The likes of us, Benifca, Kiev, Nice, Psv and Brugge are all at a similar level and there's only two places in the groups to play for. That's without naming some of the other teams who are maybe not quite as good but still good enough to beat anyone playing in the qualifiers. Ideally we screw the nut the rest of the season and this is something we don't have to worry about.

Finishing 2nd with an unknown champions League participation means more penny pinching in the transfer market. We'd do nothing until we knew what competition we might be in.

Yes, something that too many seem to ignore when talking about the potential effect of winning or losing the league
Not really. Folk just appreciate being guaranteed £40m and having to win 3 ties to get £40m are two completely different things. I know which one I’d prefer.

I would imagine not as good as Dortmund but better than Bodo/Blimpt.
I'd fancy our chances of progressing when you consider the scalps we've taken in Europe,yes absolutely I want Rangers to win the league but I don't think it's as soon and gloom as has been made out

When we win the Europa League & League Double will the two teams below us qualify for Champion's League? B-)
No still just 2 sides us and them

Access list would change

5th place country France would get the 3rd place team in Ligue 1 into the group stage so long as we have direct entry ourselves via the League

Also win QR2 but lose in QR3 would direct entry into EL group stage as a result for the 2nd place team

Im still confident we can take this league title,but if we call short it's a tough ask to qualify as runners up .
So if we win the first champions league qualifier ,that's us guaranteed a Europa League place is that correct ?

We would be capable of qualifying although it would be very hard. The scum would have no chance because they are total punchbags in Europe.

However I think we all accept that at the end of the season several key players will be sold and there will be an overhaul of the playing squad, especially if we don’t win the league, so realistically we would be going into these qualifiers with a very new looking team and that will make it even harder to qualify.
Players could be sold after the qualifiers have been played.

Hi sorry if this is on another thread somewhere but is 2nd place still able to enter the CL at the end of the season through a playoff game?
2 play offs against seeded teams.. doubtcwe would qualify unless we invest big time

Im still confident we can take this league title,but if we call short it's a tough ask to qualify as runners up .
So if we win the first champions league qualifier ,that's us guaranteed a Europa League place is that correct ?
Yes we wouldn't drop into the EL play-off round as only 4 losing sides from QR3

Imo there’s very little chance of us or them qualifying via the league route. Possible yeh, but the odds would be very low.

It looks an impossible task getting through all those rounds, some tough games even in rnd 2. Be better of not being in it at all.
Squad will be knackered by the time we even kicked off the group stages,
just another massive advantage to the Super Clubs.

Disagree. With the backdrop of our results in recent years it looks more than achievable all be it hard. I actually thought it was a lot harder than that.

i said a few weeks ago that barring 2 big shocks,us not winning league and us putting out dortmund, that our next euro away trip after Germany would be mid to end of September. In a bittersweet way on both counts thats very much in the balance

Hi sorry if this is on another thread somewhere but is 2nd place still able to enter the CL at the end of the season through a playoff game?
If we keep up the intensity and level of play we did in the 2nd half against united then we will be going straight into the groups!!

The level of opposition we faced (and would have faced if we got past Malmo) in this seasons CL qualifiers, should have saw us in the Group Stages this year. It was about as good a draw as we could have hoped for.

Whoever finishes 2nd this season would be lucky to get that kind of favourable (in the circumstances) route again. It's a tough gig to get through those qualifiers.

I've certainly not given up hope of bypassing those qualifiers and going straight in.

Dortmund 2 Rangers 4, we are capable of getting through the qualifiers.
I think we are capable mate but if we come second we will lose many of the players that were instrumental in that 2-4 win.

The recruitment, player succession and settling in process would have to be bang on for us to be prepared in time for these qualifiers if we need to play them.

Would we be able to get through with no Kent, Aribo, Goldson and Morelos for example? Their replacements would have to be top quality.

Back