CL spot for second place?

Players could be sold after the qualifiers have been played.
Sure but they might not. When Mijdtylland played the scum in the summer in the first qualifier, their star striker and a couple of other players refused to play because they wanted moves.

Yes, something that too many seem to ignore when talking about the potential effect of winning or losing the league

History shows we’re unlikely to make it through 3 rounds in the non-champions route.

Really, we couldn’t have wished for anything more favourable than Malmö and Ludogorets - that’s as good a draw as you’d ever get at this level, that in the champions route. And we know what happened.

Celtic obviously had catastrophe on top of catastrophe in the years that preceded. It’s pretty clear a Scottish team negotiating those qualifiers is a big ask.

Hi sorry if this is on another thread somewhere but is 2nd place still able to enter the CL at the end of the season through a playoff game?
im lead to believe it would be against top quality opponents. Theres no excuse for 2nd place anyway

Whoever gets the 1st place in the league will go on to dominate for 4-5 seasons minimum

We could get through the qualifiers, but we'd need to be on our game. It would be uncertain and an early pile up of matches.

Direct entry allows us to shop in a higher market in summer and prepare with full certainty on the season ahead.

It’s the non-champions route which is harder.

The likes of Monaco, Benfica, Sparta Moscow, Shakhtar Donetsk, Genk, PSV, Galatasaray etc were in it last year

Remember our club coefficient is pretty good so I reckon we’ll be seeded for QR2 and QR3 and unseeded for PO round.

Some other posters are better informed than me on this.
Every chance that your Spartak Moscow and Shakhtar won't be allowed in it.

History shows we’re unlikely to make it through 3 rounds in the non-champions route.

Really, we couldn’t have wished for anything more favourable than Malmö and Ludogorets - that’s as good a draw as you’d ever get at this level, that in the champions route. And we know what happened.

Celtic obviously had catastrophe on top of catastrophe in the years that preceded. It’s pretty clear a Scottish team negotiating those qualifiers is a big ask.
Malmo were mid season. If we played them now we would beat them. Avoiding Russian and Scandinavian teams in July and August would be helpful.

For talking sake,say we won the europa this year which would guaranteed CL next season does this 2nd place spot then move to the 3rd place team?

The issue is the timing of the qualifiers, short break and pre season is the biggest obstacle. Add in the fact that we could have a number of new players to settle in, imo has disaster all over it.

Just win the league and let the poets worry about it!

I think we are capable mate but if we come second we will lose many of the players that were instrumental in that 2-4 win.

The recruitment, player succession and settling in process would have to be bang on for us to be prepared in time for these qualifiers if we need to play them.

Would we be able to get through with no Kent, Aribo, Goldson and Morelos for example? Their replacements would have to be top quality.
What is there to suggest the 3 other than Goldson will be gone? It would take huge offers even with their contract situations and that would likely come towards the end of the window after any qualifiers are played.

Don't think there will be any qualifiers for us anyway unless a shock team wins the champs league.

What is there to suggest the 3 other than Goldson will be gone? It would take huge offers even with their contract situations and that would likely come towards the end of the window after any qualifiers are played.

Don't think there will be any qualifiers for us anyway unless a shock team wins the champs league.
Well for starters all of them go into their final contract years. It’s a real possibility whether we win the league or not based on what Wilson, Robertson and Bennett have publicly said over the last 18 months or so.

Has it been confirmed that the league winners go direct into CL group stages. I thought there were a few clubs still in CL that could change what happens next year. Man Utd for example. If they somehow won CL but finished outside top 4 in EPL

Has it been confirmed that the league winners go direct into CL group stages. I thought there were a few clubs still in CL that could change what happens next year. Man Utd for example. If they somehow won CL but finished outside top 4 in EPL
Scotland doesn't have automatic entry despite been reported that way

Premiership winner currently starts in the CL Play-off round

So long as the 2021/22 CL winner has qualified for the 2022/23 CL group stage via their own league then the Premiership winners move upto the group stage

I wouldn't fancy us or them to get through 3 rounds of qualifying.

We need to win this league.

Won't matter second C L spot or not, the scum will fcuk it up as they always do. In fact I'd be very surprised if they even qualified for the group stages of the Europa League.

It's actually not as hard as it used to be because the big leagues all get direct entry now, you used to have to potentially face 4th place Spain, Germany or England

Malmo were mid season. If we played them now we would beat them. Avoiding Russian and Scandinavian teams in July and August would be helpful.

That’s clutching at straws I’m afraid.

Regardless of who we play, we won’t be up to speed, in August, and we won’t be bringing anyone good in until we know we’re in the CL.

This whole thread is troubling….it’s people now trying to convince themselves it’s not so bad if we don’t win the title.

It’s a fucking disaster.

I think we are capable mate but if we come second we will lose many of the players that were instrumental in that 2-4 win.

The recruitment, player succession and settling in process would have to be bang on for us to be prepared in time for these qualifiers if we need to play them.

Would we be able to get through with no Kent, Aribo, Goldson and Morelos for example? Their replacements would have to be top quality.
What do we use to bring in these calibre of players?
Just hand out I.O.U.'s?

The players know the CL spot is up for grabs yet still wasted the first 45 against Dundee. Attitude could lose us the league the same as it has many points this month. We're chucking it away fast. Needs to stop.

Regardless of who we play, we won’t be up to speed, in August, and we won’t be bringing anyone good in until we know we’re in the CL.

This whole thread is troubling….it’s people now trying to convince themselves it’s not so bad if we don’t win the title.

It’s a fucking disaster.
It’s not great if we don’t win but it’s not the disaster you are making it out to be. There’s about £20m difference between being in the CL and being in the Europa league + a knockout round or two.

It all comes down to how the “guaranteed” extra money is spent. Spent wisely and one club will get a real advantage but as we’ve seen it’s easy enough to waste money at the level us and them operate at.

The real advantage will come if one club manages to make 2 to 3 CL’s in a row.

Win the title for its own sake
Let Europe take care of itself
Don’t buy the argument that entry into CL guarantees us or them will dominate

Worry about it if we lose the league. FWIW, we have a much better chance than timmy will as they are absolutely woeful in Europe - they are genuinely embarrassing.

They wont need to go through any qualifiers if drop another point though

2nd place is bottom so I wouldn't fear losing anyone

Winning the league doesn't even guarantee we qualify for the CL.

A point often missed.

If Juventus, Atletico Madrid, Man Utd, Benfica or Villarreal win the CL then we're in trouble.

We would be capable of qualifying although it would be very hard. The scum would have no chance because they are total punchbags in Europe.

However I think we all accept that at the end of the season several key players will be sold and there will be an overhaul of the playing squad, especially if we don’t win the league, so realistically we would be going into these qualifiers with a very new looking team and that will make it even harder to qualify.
And we won’t be able to spend any meaningful amounts on transfers until we qualified for group stages. Rock and hard place springs to mind.

We need to get the finger out and take the league. Straight to CL should be motivation enough! We have to win this

It’s a fucking disaster.
We will still win the league this season

Not winning the title will indeed be a disaster but it would be made better by winning the Europa League and on an assumption we beat Dortmund tomorrow, Id say we'd just have KOd the best team in the tournament by some distance.

Back