Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

Yes - and we considered that a good result!
those really were depressing times in my match going journey, invariably we would be well out of contention for the title by the end of October and the crowds would drop,as hard as it is for younger fans to imagine back then we would pull in around 14-16,000 for run of the mill games when it was clear we wouldn't be anywhere near the title,we could of course pull out great crowds for bigger games and cup games,truth is with our team at that time we just never knew which rangers would show up ,we were capable of getting great results then subsequently turning in awful performances, Souness coming to us in 86 would put all that behind us though,

FVc_DanWYAAFYWH

amazing to think the grounds had glass windows surrounding the pitch in those days, must have been a few broken windows back then on a saturday afternoon
I think the glass was very strong. Was at a game Bankies v Chelsea with my Drum relatives in 60's a testimonial game. Peter Osgood could see the Bankie 'dignitaries' watching the game thru the glass from 1st floor and deliberately aimed his kicks at them. Shook them up a bit but no damage!:))

I think the glass was very strong. Was at a game Bankies v Chelsea with my Drum relatives in 60's a testimonial game. Peter Osgood could see the Bankie 'dignitaries' watching the game thru the glass from 1st floor and deliberately aimed his kicks at them. Shook them up a bit but no damage!:))
I remember that game well :)) 6-1 for Chelsea I think it ended. Sure it was the opening of the ground or some kind of event to mark? Edit, you said testimonial .

The summer of 1962, Treble winners Rangers went on a 3 week tour of Russia, becoming the first British club to play there. They played three matches.

Scores:

Lokomotiv Moscow 3-1
Dynamo Tblisi 1-0
Dynamo Ki

The summer of 1962, Treble winners Rangers went on a 3 week tour of Russia, becoming the first British club to play there. They played three matches.

Scores:

Lokomotiv Moscow 3-1
Dynamo Tblisi 1-0
Dynamo Kiev 1-1

gn17a.png

I had always thought we were the first British side to tour there but Spurs were there on a three game tour in the summer of 1959 beating Torpedo Moscow and Dynamo Kiev before losing the third game to a CCCP select eleven 1-3.

I remember that game well :)) 6-1 for Chelsea I think it ended. Sure it was the opening of the ground or some kind of event to mark? Edit, you said testimonial .
Something else I remember from that night was that a tailpiece fell off a plane - going over to land at the airport - and it landed on a house near Kilbowie and so a bit of commotion leaving the ground. Looked up Eddie McCreadie and he'd played for E. Stirling / Clydebank for the Steedman so maybe something that was owed.

Something else I remember from that night was that a tailpiece fell off a plane - going over to land at the airport - and it landed on a house near Kilbowie and so a bit of commotion leaving the ground. Looked up Eddie McCreadie and he'd played for E. Stirling / Clydebank for the Steedman so maybe something that was owed.
Wow! I was at the game but have no recollection of that :eek:

I was with my Brother in the main stand that night. A bit of magic by Davie Cooper and a sublime finish by Doddy. After Doyle got his marching orders Grieg bottled it and played for a draw even though we were winning at the time. One of the worst nights I’ve ever experienced watching the Gers.
I was in the Rangers End that night, I was in tears when I got home, 16yrs old, Still remember it like it was Yesterday,

Wow! I was at the game but have no recollection of that :eek:
Tried internet search and no info. Spoke to my cousin ( Uncle passed) and we seem to agree that a bit of the back of a plane on the path into Glasgow Airport fell on a house in clydebank. Remember something being said at some point in game, when we came out my uncle got us the info. Roads were closed off and a bit longer walk back to the Drum was our only issue. No mention of fatalities so assume the plane and house residents were safe. Searching I found there were 2 friendlies , 1 in August and 1 in September. Maybe there was a testimonial and a stand opening!!

Clydebank v Chelsea friendly

Back