Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

I suspect thats the goal that could have just abou won the League if we had went about our business right
I was with my Brother in the main stand that night. A bit of magic by Davie Cooper and a sublime finish by Doddy. After Doyle got his marching orders Grieg bottled it and played for a draw even though we were winning at the time. One of the worst nights I’ve ever experienced watching the Gers.

yhOq9Qn.jpg

I was with my Brother in the main stand that night. A bit of magic by Davie Cooper and a sublime finish by Doddy. After Doyle got his marching orders Grieg bottled it and played for a draw even though we were winning at the time. One of the worst nights I’ve ever experienced watching the Gers.
I know the feeling. I noticed the pic and made the comment. To be honest i normally go out of my way to avoid any memories from that game.
I dont think we recovered from that needless capitulation and it set the tone for the poor early 80's.

Probably a good thing it wasnt on the tv too.

I know the feeling. I noticed the pic and made the comment. To be honest i normally go out of my way to avoid any memories from that game.
I dont think we recovered from that needless capitulation and it set the tone for the poor early 80's.

Start of the end for the manager.

I am almost sure it was not on the radio either i am sure i followed the game on feguckin teletext

Last edited:
First Rangers game under floodlights? possibly 1897.

RUDI7G1.jpg

found the link. It was 04/11/1878
Queen’s Park’s next fixture was the club’s first ever floodlit game. At a meeting of the Glasgow Charity Football Committee, letters had been read from Vale of Leven, Queen’s Park, 3rd Lanark Rifle Volunteers and Rangers agreeing to play matches for charity under the electric light. Rangers and 3rd LRV were the first to play under the light on Monday 4 November. Around 7,500 spectators turned up at Hampden Park for the match. Three lights were used but the non-arrival of proper reflectors from London meant that there was insufficient light at times over the ground. Two days later, Queen’s Park and Vale of Leven met under the lights for their tie. The three lights were more effective than on the Monday evening but there were still black streaks that the lights failed to illuminate and, when the ball was kicked in the air, the players had to wait until it reached the ground before they could see it.

Last edited:
Probably the later.
Correct Friday April 11/69
A fine crowd of 40,000 turned out on a spring night to watch a fine game.
Hood opened the scoring for Celts before Ferguson equalised from a rebound after Penman's shot hit the bar.

Johnston's pace gave the Celtic defence problems and he scored twice to make it 3-1, the second following a fine pass by Penman.
Celtic fought back to equalise with a great Callaghan shot and a Chalmers effort when Rangers keeper Martin had blundered badly.

With a minute left Henderson and Penman combined to allow Johnston the privilege of completing his hat trick and scoring the winner.

Celtic had Gemmell, Murdoch, McNeill, Johnstone, Lennox and Hughes missing on Scotland duty and Rangers were deprived of Greig, McKinnon and Stein.

This result gave Rangers a morale booster for the forthcoming Scottish Cup final on April 26th.

Teams​

Celtic:
Fallon, Craig, O'Neill, Brogan, Hay, Clark, Wallace, Connelly, Chalmers, Hood, Callaghan. Substitute: McMahon.
Scorers: Hood (13), Callaghan (61), Chalmers (72)

Rangers:
Martin Johansen Mathieson Jardine Jackson D Smith Henderson Penman Ferguson Johnston Persson Sub: Miller
Scorers: Ferguson (16),, Johnston 3 (45, 50, 89)

Correct Friday April 11/69
A fine crowd of 40,000 turned out on a spring night to watch a fine game.
Hood opened the scoring for Celts before Ferguson equalised from a rebound after Penman's shot hit the bar.

Johnston's pace gave the Celtic defence problems and he scored twice to make it 3-1, the second following a fine pass by Penman.
Celtic fought back to equalise with a great Callaghan shot and a Chalmers effort when Rangers keeper Martin had blundered badly.

With a minute left Henderson and Penman combined to allow Johnston the privilege of completing his hat trick and scoring the winner.

Celtic had Gemmell, Murdoch, McNeill, Johnstone, Lennox and Hughes missing on Scotland duty and Rangers were deprived of Greig, McKinnon and Stein.

This result gave Rangers a morale booster for the forthcoming Scottish Cup final on April 26th.

Teams​

Celtic:
Fallon, Craig, O'Neill, Brogan, Hay, Clark, Wallace, Connelly, Chalmers, Hood, Callaghan. Substitute: McMahon.
Scorers: Hood (13), Callaghan (61), Chalmers (72)

Rangers:
Martin Johansen Mathieson Jardine Jackson D Smith Henderson Penman Ferguson Johnston Persson Sub: Miller
Scorers: Ferguson (16),, Johnston 3 (45, 50, 89)
Brilliant info auldyin! It's all coming back to me now as the song once went. :))

Start of the end for the manager.
Grieg bottled it that night and tried to play for a draw even though we were winning at the time Soyle was sent off. The wheels started coming off when he had to replace guys that were his teammates previously with his own players. Signings like Billy Urquhart was never going to work.

Back