Criticism of Colak is over the top

Colak had one chance vs Livi and scored.

The problem is our complete and utter lack of creativity across the park.

He also didn’t do much to give them an option either. He made it very easy for the defenders

His finishes at Blackpool/livi that were both chopped off show he can finish if given service but he also needs to do more to create his own luck/link play with others too

Criticism has been a bit much though

It's near impossible for a centre forward to create space for himself against a team like Livi who basically play with 5 defenders across the 18 yard line.

Should a Rangers centre forward, regardless of whether he is first or fourth choice and regardless of team formation, touch the ball regularly other than when in the act of shooting?

Is this forum a good snapshot of the wider Rangers support?

It feels players are getting less and less time. Colak being one. The Matondo thread has folk writing him off and he has only played 60mins.

Absolute madness
I agree. But the reason is simple. We blew a good lead in the league last year, and one of the main reasons was a lack of goals and let’s be honest we needed a Tav free kick to beat Livi and scored none on Tuesday. A run of three home games is much needed right now to get some form going.

It's near impossible for a centre forward to create space for himself against a team like Livi who basically play with 5 defenders across the 18 yard line.
Standing right up against a centre back, expecting team mates to create chances just doesn’t get a pass anymore in modern football. That’s what colak has done so far

On Tuesday he didn’t hold the ball in whatsoever which caused issues, Morelos, Roofe and even Aribo have played lone striker and have been able to hold the ball in and bring others into play

I thought he looked pretty good against Spurs… worked his defenders - challenging them, closing them down & getting into reasonable positions for the ball around the box.
Glad to see him get a goal as well because you don’t need a new striker under pressure to get off the mark by the second or third game of the season.

No idea where that all went to on Tuesday night though. If it turns out to have just been a bad game then we need to remember that these things happen. The reaction from some parts of the support is over the top IMO.. and the likes of Hateley sticking his oar in doesn’t help.

Hateley saying that he had a tricky start and that folk need to support the guy rather than jumping on him would have been more helpful. I remember watching him trying his hardest in late summer/autumn of 1990 when little went right for him.. a wee bit of empathy wouldn’t go amiss.

The level of criticism on here has been way over the top, people never learn.

Look at Lundstram, and one of the guys sticking the boot in is Hateley who himself struggled at the start.

I don’t get it, give the guy a chance to settle in.

Frustratingly he was cheated out of that goal by a very poor piece of officiating.
Instead of getting off the mark in his first competitive game that would have massively boosted his confidence and his standing amidst our support, yet again we have an example of Rangers being undone by horrendously bad levels of officiating.

The linesman made a total guess and he made that guess with the confidence of someone who knew that very little focus would be put upon him for denying Rangers a goal.

On the other hand, we have to surmise that in the back of his mind was the knowledge from the experience of seeing media reactions, that had he not flagged for offside and it was, he would have been pilloried by the press and had the media spotlight on him for days on end, and probably threatened by another support who would have labelled him an orange bstrd and a Mason, even if he was a rosary bead fiddling member of Opus Dei, teaching religious education in a school that had the word Cardinal in its title!

Last edited:
I raised my concerns when we were signing him, and for that fee. He has been dramatically worse than expected. His movement, lack of game engagement, intelligence, doesn’t run across the defenders in the box, can’t hold the ball.

I’m hoping he is so bad that tomorrow he turns into a genius moving forward.

No one is saying he's delivering Sebo and Ostenstad performances.

But as of right now there seems to be little chemistry or cohesion between him and the rest of the team.

Like I said, he's shown he can score but we're not creating anywhere near enough in terms of attacking output. He's part of that, penalty box striker or not.
Get this reasoned, sensible pish tae %^*& lol.

For me the criticism is more over who signed him rather than the player. We have replaced a very slow striker in Itten with an older even slower player. I really hope he comes good but for me the same mistakes are being made in recruitment.

Not Jordan Campbell’s biggest fan but that’s alarming. If he’s not getting service, it’s up to him to create angels/make runs rather than just playing directly up against centre backs
He touched the ball twice in open play in the first half on Saturday. I counted a full twenty minutes between when I noticed that he has hardly involved to the fortieth minute when he touched the ball in a 50/50.

Hateley clumsily (as he is prone to doing) made a valid point on BBC Shortbread. The BBC cotton on to it and quote his comments on their comment/analysis piece on their website to stick the boot in. The Rhetard then lifts the story on Wednesday morning and typically sensationalises it further making out that Hateley was being hyper critical.

People legitimately start discussing the whys and wherefores of Čolak’s performance on here citing Hateley’s take on things and criticising his lack of self awareness when discussing the Croat’s perceived lack of impact in relation to his own inauspicious beginnings in a Rangers shirt.

Two days late Derek Clark then pours petrol on the flames by critiquing the thread in here and puts it in print in the Gherald.

You could set your watch by the sad predictability of it all.

He touched the ball twice in open play in the first half on Saturday. I counted a full twenty minutes between when I noticed that he has hardly involved to the fortieth minute when he touched the ball in a 50/50.

Hateley clumsily (as he is prone to doing) made a valid point on BBC Shortbread. The BBC cotton on to it and quote his comments on their comment/analysis piece on their website to stick the boot in. The Rhetard then lifts the story on Wednesday morning and typically sensationalises it further making out that Hateley was being hyper critical.

People legitimately start discussing the whys and wherefores of Čolak’s performance on here citing Hateley’s take on things and criticising his lack of self awareness when discussing the Croat’s perceived lack of impact in relation to his own inauspicious beginnings in a Rangers shirt.

Two days late Derek Clark then pours petrol on the flames by critiquing the thread in here and puts it in print in the Gherald.

You could set your watch by the sad predictability of it all.
I do agree that some valid points have been sensationalised, especially given he’s played 2 competitive games, however there is some glaring warning signs thus far

No one can doubt he looks sharp in the box, give him service and he’ll score; that said, he needs to offer more off the ball or else people will start calling him out. I hope he gets a few goals quickly

Goal chopped off a Livi, laid the ball on a plate for anyone wanting a tap in against Union. Its not been an explosive start, but he's not the lemon people are making him out to be.

He's not and never will be Alfie.

It's been 2 games. Grow up.

I hope he comes good but haven’t been impressed , you only get one chance to make a first impression , he’s actually getting 2 chances , we were all impressed by him for malmo , now he needs to do more.

I do agree that some valid points have been sensationalised, especially given he’s played 2 competitive games, however there is some glaring warning signs thus far

No one can doubt he looks sharp in the box, give him service and he’ll score; that said, he needs to offer more off the ball or else people will start calling him out. I hope he gets a few goals quickly
For me, his lack of taking part is concerning.

There have been few, if any, runs into the channels to drag defenders about and offering his teammates an out ball to change up the laboured tiki taka. Has he been told to play like this? In all probability, yes. So from that perspective, he can’t be blamed can he?

That said, are the management expecting the wingers to put chances on a plate for him? I highly doubt that either.

As always, the truth is somewhere in between. Čolak needs to offer more during the build up and when I say that, I don’t necessarily mean that he needs to work harder. His teammates need to do better at giving him a chance to be the best that he can be.

And if the management can see that their instructions aren’t working out the way that they originally intended them to do, they need to recognise that and change accordingly.

He’s barely played for us. He has got to be given time. The whole team were poor the other night, it wasn’t just the one player.

The worry is that he doesn't look to fit our style of play at all, and we don't seem to be changing our style of play to suit him. We won't find a Morelos out there but you'd think we could find someone who plays the same type of game so that replacing him isn't the shock to the team it always seems to be. Coming short and linking play at the very least.

Right now it feels like we've thought "that guy who scored against us must be good, let's buy him" and not properly scouted him. I sincerely hope that's not the case and will be overjoyed if he contributes to winning things.

He’s just not very good.

There’s 4 strikers in the league far better than him at us and Celtic so for £1.8m it was a waste of decent money.
I think you may well prove to be correct mate.

But, as I’ve said elsewhere, I’m not going to be too hasty when judging if Antonio’s a dud or not.

He needs games, that’s for sure. Whether the goals come or not is a different matter entirely.

Wasn't the best Tuesday night but who was
To early to know how he will turn out hopefully he will do well & bang in a good few goals for us

GVB needs to adjust the system so he is not left so isolated, Colak himself needs to start making an impression.

Reality is when Morelos is back he is going to play so Colak has to take his chance now or he will also be behind Roofe if he ever gets fit

I usually don't mind who scores our goals for us in any particular game.. from time to time will want someone specifically to get on the scoresheet for one reason or another, but as long as its a decent/good team performance & we win said game that's all that really matters for me.

Really hope he rattles in 2 or 3 tomorrow though & rams some of the comments from some posters right down their throats.

Woke nonsense!

The guy was murder, he needs to pull up his socks quickly.
Absolute nonsense. He needs to be judged after a decent run in the team and with the team playing to it's full potential. I suppose you forgot about Hateley and McCoists early days at the club.

Look at his scoring record throughout his career and he scores an average of a goal every 2 games except at PAOK where it didn't work out for him.

We need to get the ball to this guy when he's in the box and he will score goals. We need to up our tempo when we have the ball so that we can create space for him.

The way we've played in the last 2 games and the service we have provided our striker has been shocking. Even Ronaldo would struggle to score a goal in this team at the moment.

Penalty box strikers are just becoming more obsolete. At the higher level there's far more required from strikers than simply scoring that the benefit of being clinical when given chances isn't greater than them not contributing in any other way, similar with tens in a way and making yourself more susceptible to being run over in midfield. You can get away with them when you are comfortably the better team and dominating possession which will be the case in the majority of our matches in the league but Tuesday he struggled massively to even get involved in the game and was like a man down, his movement also looks poor and slow. Despite being more clinical would anyone prefer him to start in league matches at Ibrox over Morelos? Wouldn't think there will be many who would.

Back