Does standing create a better atmosphere?

Monty_greenock34

Last night with the heat im naw going to lie my legs are gubbed today.

Im still young enough to enjoy standing though and i feel it does add to the atmosphere.

Had my 11year old with me and he struggled to see at times which was my only drawback on standing.

Any grumpy old bears care to vent? Or was it better experience all round standing?

The simple answer is yes it does create a better atmosphere. But, I can see why some fans don‘t like - for good reasons like you’ve mentioned above.

Until we’ve got a dedicated safe standing area / stand, there’s always gonna be a bit of debate about it.

Last edited:
Definitely improves the atmosphere with standing & you get into the game a lot more I think.
Was in Copland Front on Saturday v Killie and everyone was sat down and only one guy singing but in Broomie Front last night and it's night and day everybody on their feet and giving it laldy for the full 90 mins
Suppose it's comparing apples & oranges though - turgid SPFL fare against a bunch of hammerthrowers and a European night (against a bunch of hammerthrowers) that had a massive amount at stake

Absolutely. It really is a disgrace we don't have a safe standing section. If I had it my way the whole Broomloan stand would be safe standing. Imagine that whole stand full of people wanting to create an atmosphere. It would orchestrate the rest of the stadium which would bring the base atmosphere up several levels. European nights would be even more ridiculous.

Definitely improves the atmosphere with standing & you get into the game a lot more I think.
Was in Copland Front on Saturday v Killie and everyone was sat down and only one guy singing but in Broomie Front last night and it's night and day everybody on their feet and giving it laldy for the full 90 mins
Suppose it's comparing apples & oranges though - turgid SPFL fare against a bunch of hammerthrowers and a European night (against a bunch of hammerthrowers) that had a massive amount at stake

I totally get the point re Europe v League games, of course occasion massively helps, stakes etc but also...

During most of our run of mill league games, there is often only one section making much noise, and it is the section that stands and treats games v even dross like Livvy in the arse end of winter as a chance to simply celebrate Rangers often, it would make a hell of a difference having a bigger section doing that more often

Last night with the heat im naw going to lie my legs are gubbed today.

Im still young enough to enjoy standing though and i feel it does add to the atmosphere.

Had my 11year old with me and he struggled to see at times which was my only drawback on standing.

Any grumpy old bears care to vent? Or was it better experience all round standing?

I just get my 11yr old to stand on his seat.

Yes. 100%.

And it's proven that we all stand at away games and the atmosphere at away games is far better than for league games at Ibrox.

The fact that the club continue to shy away from configuring Ibrox properly to give the choice of official standing areas is a disgrace, especially when so many clubs are now embracing it and implementing it.

Yet again, we are left behind.

Last edited:
100% it improves the atmosphere.

However, a lot of us can't stand for 90 minutes. And there are those, if standing behind someone a foot taller than they are, won't enjoy the experience.

I don't think a safe standing area is the solution to the atmosphere.

When Ibrox rocks, it fxxking rocks, with the whole stadium involved - including the elderly fans and, fatties like me, who have limited standing time then need a seat again.

If the occasion is right and the team are giving it everything on the pitch then Ibrox will bounce. Getting everyone engaged is the key.

If a safe standing is to be installed then the East and West Enclosures seem like the obvious places like before.

Whole of the Govan Front stood the whole game, was a brilliant atmosphere, loved it for an important match. Did see a few older fan and young kids who may hav struggled to stand for entire game tho but sure they wldnt hav minded as feel the atmosphere helped us win.

I totally get the point re Europe v League games, of course occasion massively helps, stakes etc but also...

During most of our run of mill league games, there is often only one section making much noise, and it is the section that stands and treats games v even dross like Livvy in the arse end of winter as a chance to simply celebrate Rangers often, it would make a hell of a difference having a bigger section doing that more often
Absolutely 100% agree on that.

Yes. 100%.

And it's proven that we all stand at away games and the atmosphere at away games is far better than for league games at Ibrox.

The fact that the club continue to shy away from configuring Ibrox properly to give the choice of official standing areas is a disgrace, especially when so many clubs are now embracing it and implementing it.

Yet again, we are left behind.
It’s being implemented all over England. Southampton emailed all STHs yesterday about anti-social behaviour (message is EPL-wide) and mentioned introducing safe-standing as well.

SPFL being left behind as usual.

100% it improves the atmosphere.

However, a lot of us can't stand for 90 minutes. And there are those, if standing behind someone a foot taller than they are, won't enjoy the experience.

I don't think a safe standing area is the solution to the atmosphere.

When Ibrox rocks, it fxxking rocks, with the whole stadium involved - including the elderly fans and, fatties like me, who have limited standing time then need a seat again.

If the occasion is right and the team are giving it everything on the pitch then Ibrox will bounce. Getting everyone engaged is the key.

If a safe standing is to be installed then the East and West Enclosures seem like the obvious places like before.

Someone in front who is a foot taller isn't doing that much to impact the view of someone behind them TBF given the way football works, not that much more or less than if someone happens to be sat behind a tall c*nt.

There is a thirst from a lot of fans to make more occasions right, and make atmosphere improve more often.

It does become clear when changing areas around the stadium some fans have a want to sing and be involved way more than others, it does seem natural that more people who want to sing being together means more people sing.

It can often be the case some sitting in the stands can kill an atmosphere flat and some don't always want to be engaged

There is undoubtedly a better atmosphere at the big euro games we win, and at these games most people seem to be standing (I’m in CD2 on my arse like everyone else, at least towards the front of it).
However, is it a better atmosphere because we are winning a big game, or because more are standing?
Last season we had an atmosphere against Leipzig that many said was the best since Kiev. While we had the enclosure then, did the Govan, Broomloan and Copland stand that night? I can’t remember.

I just get my 11yr old to stand on his seat.
Ive did that before if its a tall guy behind him but it was a 12 or 13 year old behind him and he would also struggle to see.

The old boy in front after half time crouched down onto edge of his seat and it gave my boy a better view.

Yeah def better when standing. When you are sitting down it sometimes feels a bit awkward joining in the sining if no ones singing around you. Just doesnt feel that way when you are up standing.

Was sitting in the Govan rear last night and at one point standing after a good chance, everyone then sat down for the corner being taken. Just felt odd as it should be when everyones up generating more noise.

You don’t see any singing sections across Europe which are all sitting, pretty much answers the question.

Of course it improves the atmosphere.
The game and performance do more for the atmosphere than people standing.

If everyone stood on Saturday would the atmosphere be better than last night or close? No it wouldn’t.

You don’t see any singing sections across Europe which are all sitting, pretty much answers the question.

Of course it improves the atmosphere.

If everyone stood on Saturday would the atmosphere be better than last night or close? No it wouldn’t.

It would be great to see the front of the Broomie made safestanding. Might not sit comfortably with some, but with zero chances of our original standing end being made safestanding, the Broomie is the next best alternative.

Yes definitely think it does.. would love to see the club liaise with fan groups in regards to what shirt is being worn on a match day so the support would wear the same!

Of course it wouldn't be like last night, but better, absolutely.

When it comes to standing Chazz Michael Michaels nails it.

The very fact that people stand up at run of the mill games when something exciting happens makes me think yes. It doesn't look as good on camera though, costs extra money (which of course could just be an addition on the Season Ticket), and most importantly won't increase capacity. Has to be safer than everyone standing at their seats however.

Isn’t the whole of the broomloan front a standing section in all reality.the overwhelming amount of the support stand for the whole game in bf.i haven’t sat down once in bf5 since getting a season ticket.

Absolutely. It really is a disgrace we don't have a safe standing section. If I had it my way the whole Broomloan stand would be safe standing. Imagine that whole stand full of people wanting to create an atmosphere. It would orchestrate the rest of the stadium which would bring the base atmosphere up several levels. European nights would be even more ridiculous.
Move there in as heart beat if that came to be.

I think it does. When Ibrox went almost all seater in the late 70s/early 80s I used to mainly go to the enclosure as it was still standing. I was young then and missed the huge terracing. However, as I got older I preferred to sit as it was more comfortable, I got a better view and I was less likely to get my glasses smashed.

I think dedicated safe standing would be great but older people or children need to be able to see the game as well.

Back