Gerrard appears trackside next week. What kind of reception is he getting?

not how I see it, but like I said, Gerrard should be welcomed back with open arms
I wouldn't cheer him or boo.I realise his family were down South and he wasn't here forever.It was just the timing and the way it unfolded.Not open arms material.

His name is synonymous with 55. A decent reception from decent Bears, the headbangers might make a noise though. I doubt he'll be bothered. Love to hear him if we manage to win!

Gerrard got the backroom team together, so their loyalties were to him, Souness never had that kind of relationship, so the situations were not comparable, Smith was always gonna get the job at that time, which was the reason Murray made Souness leave on the spot rather than wait till the end of the season.
Bottom line is, if Souness is welcomed back with open arms so should Gerrard
So we agree Gerrard caused more disruption as he took all the backroom staff and Souness did not?

Both are not Rangers men so I didn't expect any more from either of them.

What kinda reception would Advocaat have got if standing pitch side at our game vs PSV?
It’ll be the same type that Gerrard receives.

Hopefully a good one. Wasn’t best pleased when he left but would have him back in a heartbeat at the moment.

I think most rational people can look back now and make sense of him leaving when he did but you do get the ones that hang onto things like a dog with a bone and will give him abuse.
He and Beale won us our first title in a decade, 25 points clear and unbeaten, and they had probably taken us as far as they could when they left.
He was frustrated at the lack of investment and his stock would only have gotten lower IMO. Despite being top we were playing like shite.

I strongly believe he wouldn’t have got us to a Europa League final if he’d stayed either.

Funny to see people on here who want Gio fired out of the door in the middle of a season, still calling Gerrard a snake for leaving in the middle of a season.

It’s highly likely he will be one of the pundits. I noticed that during the Liverpool v Ajax game the pundits were standing trackside, quite close to the Ajax section.
As a support - what kind of reception will he get?

Personally, I’ll always have admiration for the guy. That 55 season gave us some unbelievable moments and created memories that will last a lifetime. I was obviously disappointed in the way he left, but time is a healer and I bear him no animosity. Has the wider support forgiven him though?
I think if he gets abuse it’s a poor show from the support.

Anyone giving the guy abuse really needs to have a think about how they go about life.

He got us back into territory that we expect & recognise, he won us a title and he gave us a spring in our step again.

Yes he walked out on us at the first opportunity.. I’d wager that football-wise it worked out better for us and our Europa League Final and a Scottish Cup than it did for him and a mid-table finish though.

Just give the guy a good reception and don’t make Rangers fans look like a bunch of dicks.
Simple surely?

Anyone giving him verbals needs to have a word with themselves. Although it's the best job in the world to us, its just a job to almost every manager out there deep down.

When I see him I think of the summer after we won 55. The UB pyro show at the Clyde, the union flags hanging from lampposts everywhere, the walk from Ibrox over the squinty bridge to George Square and having my 18 year old son experience proper celebrations for the first time in his adult life. It was utterly brilliant and those memories will stay with me forever.

He’ll get a good reception from the Bears. Nobody can be happy with the way he departed but he brought us one of the greatest titles in our history and for that he will be rightly received.

I remember a manager leaving us with just a few games left in the season when it was on a knifes edge. He is regarded as a hero and rightly so.Gerrard gets pelter he started the change in our club the same as Souness. He started the euro nights won 55 and rebuilt the coaching and youth set that we are starting to reap the benefits of so it’s time to get over it and show a bit of class and wish him all the best. He may one day regret it the same as Souness did but that’s life

Just think, it could've been Derek McInnes in charge of those years. He's a legend, we don't win 55 and stop their run without him, nevermind the outstanding consistent results in Europe

Unless they're not going to another job (like Advocaat, for example), does a manager ever really leave at the 'right' time? Often it's due to sackings of other managers.
End of the season, unless sacked, is the only acceptable time for a manager to leave in my eyes as a fan. However, the modern game, with the reactive nature of the EPL to a few bad results, our managers (and Celtic’s) are going to be cherry picked.

What kinda reception would Advocaat have got if standing pitch side at our game vs PSV?
It’ll be the same type that Gerrard receives.
Funnily enough both gave us a bit of a standing in Europe after years of getting tanked, one did it it with an open chequebook, the other did it it with nowhere near that investment.

He was a good manager for us and deserves thanks for winning us 55.

At the same time he showed he is not a true ranger in the way he left. A true ranger puts the club first and understands the club is more important than any man.

So I won't give him pelters which would be classless and self defeating but I won't applaud him either as that would be hypocritical

Didn't like the timing and manner he left us, but he dragged us out of the Pedro/Murty era and put us back on the european map, not to mention winning 55. Would hope none of our fans boo him etc

Back