Gerrard and McAllister pay visit to Auchenhowie

Bonnyloyal

Steven Gerrard and his new-look Rangers backroom team have made a secret dash to Glasgow to begin planning for their summer revolution.

Record Sport can reveal the new Ibrox boss travelled north on Tuesday with an entourage that included right-hand man Gary McAllister to make a VIP visit to the club’s Auchenhowie training base - while the first-team squad was in Aberdeen preparing for a 1-1 draw at Pittodrie.

It’s understood Gerrard asked for the fact finding tour in order for the management team to familiarise themselves with their new HQ before they officially clock on for the first time on June 1.

Gerrard and his group also met with director of football Mark Allen who was left to instruct staff the complex to carry out a number of changes ordered by the incoming regime.

The trip was deliberately planned to coincide with the second placed shoot-out with Aberdeen as it allowed Gerrard, McAllister and co to get to work without interfering with the preparations of caretaker coach Jimmy Nicholl who took the team to the North East on Monday night.

Next stop for Gerrard and McAllister is Dubai where on Sunday they will be part of a star studded meet and greet with Liverpool fans at a live screening of the Anfield side’s last league game of the season against Brighton.

They will be joined on the tip by former team mate Steve McManaman as part of the club’s LFC World promotion - an initiative aimed at growing Liverpool’s brand throughout the globe

The glitzy beach-front bash was one of the major long standing commitments which prevented Gerrard from taking over the reigns at Rangers until the start of the pre-season, despite officially being presented as the club’s new manager last Friday

But the quick return over the border on Tuesday suggests Gerrard’s mind is already focussed on the task that awaits him in Glasgow.

Record Sport understands the 37-year-old is already searching for a new home in the city but that his wife and kids are likely to remain permanently based at the family’s luxury mansion on Merseyside while Gerrard is busy cutting his teeth in management at Ibrox.

We should be piggy backing onto Liverpool’s Asian marketing.
I think it'll happen naturally anyway, its a market that loves box office stuff, they love Gerrard and Liverpool and buy into it big time, they'll follow his progress with us and hopefully catch on to us in the process.

I wonder how many players will puke during the first week of pre season :eek:

Clearly means business and not slacking himself, he will expect the same from the players. I wouldn't want to be pulling on the boots to do pre season, they'll know they've done a shift anyway!

Wasn’t McAllister a very decent manager in his own right before health issues?

Edit: He left the Coventry job having done a very decent job due to his wife’s health issues. It was a long time ago, so my memory was hazy.

Last edited:
Record Sport understands the 37-year-old is already searching for a new home in the city but that his wife and kids are likely to remain permanently based at the family’s luxury mansion on Merseyside while Gerrard is busy cutting his teeth in management at Ibrox.
This concerns me a bit and I'll tell you why. Warburton did the same and rumours about him wanting away back down south began soon after he arrived here. Within a few months of his arrival there was speculation that he was wanting the Fulham job (I think). Such rumours never really went away during his time here.

If Gerrard is fully committed to the Rangers job then his family needs to be moving up here and going to school here etc.

That's if it's true of course.

This concerns me a bit and I'll tell you why. Warburton did the same and rumours about him wanting away back down south began soon after he arrived here. Within a few months of his arrival there was speculation that he was wanting the Fulham job (I think). Such rumours never really went away during his time here.

If Gerrard is fully committed to the Rangers job then his family needs to be moving up here and going to school here etc.

I honestly don't think its that big a deal. Loads of people in normal jobs work away from their family during the week. It's not like they are a million miles away, can get there quicker than you get to some matches in the league which fans are willing to travel every week. Plus the fact he was a top international player so travelling and being away from your family is common place.

That’s not always the case. Mcinnes left his family in Houston and has had ample opportunities to leave Aberdeen as we all know but hasn’t.
Mourinho is another, his family still live in London and he has an apartment in Manchester.
I think our experience with Warburton has gave us the wrong impression but managers do this kind of thing quite regularly.

That's correct mate. I don't think he's done building his team either.
Is Beale’s role with the youth team mate? I know he’s very highly rated as a coach but I wasn’t sure exactly what position he was taking up at Auchenhowie.

Professional footballers spend a lot of time away from their families. Gerrard will have been away from home a helluva lot over the years with away EPL games, European games and international tournaments with England. He could get to Cheshire from Glasgow in a helicopter in an hour and a half, and the drive isn’t that bad either. He’s already said his family will be staying in Liverpool but that they’ll be visiting him regularly.

Why would he just uproot his kids from school maybe they are at an important time education wise and have all their friends down there hes only 5 hrs away in the car and im sure they will come up most weekends .not a big deal if you ask me

Let me spin you an alernate scenario: his oldest daughter will be taking exams next year having been taught a completely alien curriculum to that which we know here.

Is he liable to be more or less happy ruining his daughters education and dragging her up here?

Yeah, I'm not worried about his family's living arrangements. My Dad worked in London from when I was about 11 and my Mum and I stayed in Glasgow. It's more common than you think.

Also, it's driving distance, makes a big difference. Means he can get there and back in complete privacy.

You're talking a one way trip back down to Liverpool which will take about 3 - 3 and a half hours on the day / night before his days off. Surprisingly normal practice. Just because Warburton did it doesn't mean Gerrard will. Warburton also didn't have a plan B, so by the same logic, Gerrard won't?

Worth not trying to be distracted from the point of the article. Doesn't start for 3 weeks but is already implementing what he's wanting. Encouraging signs that he's raring to go. I'd really love to be a fly on the wall between the current players to gauge how they're all feeling about it.

Pre-season will be epic. I'd love the club to put on an open training session or two and charge a minimal fee for it. Would generate a small bit of income and a buzz.

No stone left unturned already - he means business .

Any laziness or bad habits that have formed since the Pedro/Murty era will hopefully be obliterated .
Yes. I know it's been said with regard to previous incoming managers, but things really will be changed beyond all recognition and more proffesional standards implemented. And if some players don't like it then they can f.uck off.

Can't wait until he gets started.

I'd agree this job needs you all in no half measures.

Honestly that is a load of nonsense. Loads of people work away from home and travel home weekly. Gerrard will be the same. This can actually be beneficial, in that he can go back to Liverpool and get away from the pressure and the hype to normality. That can help reduce and manage stress levels.

This visit shows an eye for detail and a tremendous respect for Jimmy Nichol. That is hugely important to me as it shows the character of the person.

Back