Tottenham after Postecoglou

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Aldi Bielsa.
Thinks defence is something that separates his garden from his neighbours.

It’s more down to the state we’re in that he’s been so successful as opposed to him being a great manager. Treats the dross with as much respect as we would.

Would be happy to see him stay and be exposed next season.

The Aldi Bielsa.

It’s more down to the state we’re in that he’s been so successful as opposed to him being a great manager. Treats the dross with as much respect as we would.

Such a mentally challenged response, the exact same as Jackie no mates saying we are not a good team.

Oh Gerrard completely has the upper hand if you look at European results.

But obviously domestically 1 trophy out of 9 versus (probably) 5 out of 6 means saying “Gerrard had a better record” sounds a bit odd
Cups are important and we should have won more under Gerrard but I don't think anyone is going to judge a manager up here based on them. First thing you would look at is league form and then how someone has done in Europe against teams with comparative budgets.

Mate that is total nonsense, Gerrard as much as o thank him for 55 did not have a much better record for us, in fact his record is almost embarrassing until 55.
He was rebuilding the club for the first few years. His record in Europe with us was fantastic. No other Scottish club has been getting through tough qualifiers and making the knockout stages consistently.

Cant wait to he leaves to be honest. Credit where credit is due hes turned them into a pretty formidable team domestically and realistically they cant get any better than they have been in the league over the last 18 months so unless they’ve got pep lined up the very best case scenario is they stay as good as they are just now but in all likely hood they cant be as good under another manager so him leaving cant be seen as anything other than a boost for us going into next season.

It's mental that posters are still kidding themselves on he's a dud.

He walked into their midden on his tod, without his own coaching team or assistants and proceeded to win 4, soon to be 5 trophies out of 6.

He's nowhere near elite but it amazes me folk think he's somehow lucked his way into success with them.

Aye, he's spent a fortune but you still need to spend it wisely and if he fucks off to Spurs he's left them a settled squad all on long term deals that they can make money on. Their new manager isn't walking into a shitshow like Gerrard or Beale did with us.
I'm not going to suggest he's a dud - you rightly point out his obvious successes
For one thing you can only beat the opponent in front of you & he's got that down to a fine art (regrettably)
Overall he's made a good job of recruitment - albeit almost exclusively from markets he was familiar with

But equally - to ignore his weaknesses, limitations or obvious gaps in experience isn't likely to give a true picture of him either

Tactically he's more one dimensional than Warburton & has shown no flexibility in dealing with opponents who are capable of smothering these tactics (such as in Europe & to a lesser extent us)

His knowledge of wider or more expensive transfer markets must be in question
His knowledge of the EPL could well be very limited - NES knew the EPL well but couldn't make any progress

Looking at the failures of his predecessors in this role - is there any that looked a worse prospect than AP ?

I know that often a least fancied manager makes a success of jobs others fail in - but being realistic - there's nothing that suggests to me that AP has this gig in his repertoire

I don't really care one way or another - Spurs are of no consequence to me
& I also know it's all a matter of opinions
But if this happens- I'll find it difficult to think of this in any way other than it being totally weird

Fascinating thread. Rooted in the mistaken yet persistent belief that Postecoglou is a poor manager.

Hands up, I was among those who thought he was a dud when Celtic appointed him. As did every Celtic fan I know. He seemed like a rebound appointment after Howe jilted them (which he was), but he came with a decent pedigree - league wins in Australia and Japan, and managed Australia at the World Cup. And a couple of bad results while he was building his team cemented the view that his experience wasn't relevant to Europe.

He recruited well from markets he knew, chose a swashbuckling style that blew away the weaker teams in Scotland, and went on a two season run of virtual invulnerability (domestically). Yet we kept hearing narratives about how his luck would change, he would get found out, his style would tire his players, it would lead to injuries and burn out, and bad results when they came (they never did) would dent his team’s confidence.

We’re still underestimating him. It’s not so outlandish that Spurs want him. His weaknesses are apparent, when playing more tactically astute teams that know how to defend against all-out attack. But he’ll get to trade up to better players, and maybe, just maybe, he’ll win Spurs a cup or get them back into Europe - which is success from where they are right now.

And he’ll be a big loss to Celtic, who seem to have no obvious replacement lined up. I expect a period of instability for them, some unhappy players in the dressing room, and a faltering start to next season. If Beale can take advantage, Rangers could build a league-winning lead by the Autumn.

Loser talk. Sport is made up of “mistakes” I want to be on the side that isn’t talking about them.
Yawn. Continue sucking him off.
The minute they play in Europe he’s found out, I don’t see why everyone thinks he’s so good when at a higher level he’s exposed immediately.

It’s the fact we’ve been worse that’s made him successful.

We can be PROUD of the achievement of reaching Manchester and Seville, given the handicap of the league we play in and, in the latter case, the horrible 10 year journey we recovered from to get there, but we shouldn't CELEBRATE losing..

I don't see anyone celebrating losing, doubt we'll have countless plays and name a suite in Ibrox the Seville lounge.

Great memories that I'd love to experience again, unless I die anytime soon I know we'll win more domestic trophies but those European moments are few and far between.

The minute they play in Europe he’s found out, I don’t see why everyone thinks he’s so good when at a higher level he’s exposed immediately.

Yawn enjoy your platitudes, maybe if we play them in Europe we will win the league…

I think you’re probably talking bluster that you don’t even believe.

Of course we can look to things that we could or should have done better these last two years.

But you can’t just outright dismiss the fact they barely dropped a point from October to April last season. And likewise went on lengthy winning runs this season

The Aldi Bielsa.

Not sure I can agree

Has his first choice central defensive pairing lost a domestic game ?

Not sure I can agree

Has his first choice central defensive pairing lost a domestic game ?
Thanks for actually trying to debate my point. They’re too strong for this league although I don’t agree they’re too strong for us. Carter Vickers holds that defence together and I’m aware it’s all ifs and buts but if Beale starts with Raskin and Cantwell in the final we could have been looking at a different end to the season. Not league winning but 2 cups maybe?
His style leaves them wildly exposed at the back we’ve just struggled to take advantage bar that last game there, ironically without Carter Vickers in there.

I don’t get it either how some of our fans have bought into the hype on the fat kunt.
He’s proved he can beat teams with less quality and money to his.
But he’s never got the better of teams that have similar or higher quality to his own.
I’ve never seen this tim team punch above it’s weight against good opposition in Europe, that’s says everything about how good a manager he really is

Fascinating thread. Rooted in the mistaken yet persistent belief that Postecoglou is a poor manager.

Hands up, I was among those who thought he was a dud when Celtic appointed him. As did every Celtic fan I know. He seemed like a rebound appointment after Howe jilted them (which he was), but he came with a decent pedigree - league wins in Australia and Japan, and managed Australia at the World Cup. And a couple of bad results while he was building his team cemented the view that his experience wasn't relevant to Europe.

He recruited well from markets he knew, chose a swashbuckling style that blew away the weaker teams in Scotland, and went on a two season run of virtual invulnerability (domestically). Yet we kept hearing narratives about how his luck would change, he would get found out, his style would tire his players, it would lead to injuries and burn out, and bad results when they came (they never did) would dent his team’s confidence.

We’re still underestimating him. It’s not so outlandish that Spurs want him. His weaknesses are apparent, when playing more tactically astute teams that know how to defend against all-out attack. But he’ll get to trade up to better players, and maybe, just maybe, he’ll win Spurs a cup or get them back into Europe - which is success from where they are right now.

And he’ll be a big loss to Celtic, who seem to have no obvious replacement lined up. I expect a period of instability for them, some unhappy players in the dressing room, and a faltering start to next season. If Beale can take advantage, Rangers could build a league-winning lead by the Autumn.

He's certainly had more than his fair share of luck I'd say with Rangers having three different managers during his tenure and all the upheaval that brings. Getting key fixtures moved at a vital stage of the season last year and most importantly he's been financially backed more than any other manager ever has in Scottish football history.

He's not a terrible manager by any means but if you're approaching 60 and you haven't managed anywhere in Europe other than the Greek 4th division and SPFL it's probably for a reason.

Last edited:
I don’t get it either how some of our fans have bought into the hype on the fat kunt.
But he’s never got the better of teams that have similar or higher quality to his own.
I’ve never seen this tim team punch above it’s weight against good opposition in Europe, that’s says everything about how good a manager he really is
Spot on. It’s not even about being “staunch”

I agree with that, and I was one.

But the premiership is levels above what he is used to, even with Celtic. His open attacking football will be exposed.

He might be prove me wrong but I just don’t see it going well at spurs.
If it takes him as long to settle there as he did up here he’ll be gone. This whole saga has echos of the Nuno fiasco.

Baffles me how these nut jobs hit out with pish like this, yet not one of them can admit they’ve only won everything they have in the last 11 years because of 2012.

They argue back, “aYe bUt wE wOn Aw OoR TrEbuLs Wi YoU bAcK iN tHu toP fLiGhT”.

They fail to realise we started over from nothing, barely had a team to field. They are the recipients of good fortune due to the impact of 2012 on us. They achieved nothing, they overcame zero challenges; the challenge was removed as an obstacle and returned weaker than we had been at any point in our history.

And they call our 55th title the Covid cup despite being handed a 9th title in a row via Zoom. Couldn’t mark their necks with a f**king blowtorch.
Why do folk post in that way?

His record against us won 6, drew 2, lost 3.

Anyone who follows that market knows it's a clusterfuck.

The reason he is now favourite is because of ptess reports
So it’s because of something? You’d previously said the market meant nothing.

Obviously it’s based on press reports. And the story has been leaked to the press by the club (Spurs) or people who wanted it to get out.

There are football agents, ITK guys like Romano, newspapers, podcasts, Sky Sports, TalkSPORT, ex managers and everyone in between saying AP is favourite, so obviously the betting is going to reflect that.

But it’s not based on ‘nothing’. If it was based on nothing, then Ledley King would be favourite.

I'm not going to suggest he's a dud - you rightly point out his obvious successes
For one thing you can only beat the opponent in front of you & he's got that down to a fine art (regrettably)
Overall he's made a good job of recruitment - albeit almost exclusively from markets he was familiar with

But equally - to ignore his weaknesses, limitations or obvious gaps in experience isn't likely to give a true picture of him either

Tactically he's more one dimensional than Warburton & has shown no flexibility in dealing with opponents who are capable of smothering these tactics (such as in Europe & to a lesser extent us)

His knowledge of wider or more expensive transfer markets must be in question
His knowledge of the EPL could well be very limited - NES knew the EPL well but couldn't make any progress

Looking at the failures of his predecessors in this role - is there any that looked a worse prospect than AP ?

I know that often a least fancied manager makes a success of jobs others fail in - but being realistic - there's nothing that suggests to me that AP has this gig in his repertoire

I don't really care one way or another - Spurs are of no consequence to me
& I also know it's all a matter of opinions
But if this happens- I'll find it difficult to think of this in any way other than it being totally weird
We have to stop using Europe as a yardstick when we just got humiliated in an all-time worst performance in the groups.

Sorry lads, I’d rather dominate Scotland like they have for the last decade, than win some knockout ties. We’ll fall behind their trophy room before 2030, no way am I cool with that.

Great being so close to winning a major European trophy,but let's be honest we need to have days like today going for a treble in the sunshine,I would swap an extended run in Europe to trebles anyday of the week, look at the 9 in a row period the best period in our history,shite in the most part in Europe but loved having the upper hand over them give me that back please.

We have to stop using Europe as a yardstick when we just got humiliated in an all-time worst performance in the groups.

Sorry lads, I’d rather dominate Scotland like they have for the last decade, than win some knockout ties. We’ll fall behind their trophy room before 2030, no way am I cool with that.

Of course we’ll continue to use Europe as a yardstick as being highly competitive in that arena is what we desire.

With a little context, they had a worse Euro campaign that we did this season.

He's certainly had more than his fair share of luck I'd say with Rangers having three different managers during his tenure and all the upheaval that brings. Getting key fixtures moved at a vital stage of the season last year and most importantly he's been financially backed more than any other manager ever has in Scottish football history.

He's not a terrible manager by any means but if you're approaching 60 and you haven't managed anywhere in Europe other than the Greek 4th division and SPFL it's probably for a reason.
Maybe the reason is he’s Australian? And so is his family?

As for your thoughts on his luck, you make your own. I like the Gary Player quote: “the more I practice, the luckier I get”.

There's a reason why he's never managed in Europe until approaching 60, mate. He's no different to Ronnie Deila, another Celtc Euro embarrassment. The Aussie has had incredible luck in his 2 seasons at the piggery, and at crucial times, the conveniently postponed New Year Day game when his squad was wracked by injuries, as example. As for us, the comedown from losing in Seville, a permanent injury crisis, the psychological hammering from our Champions League humiliation hampered our season in 2022/23. Postecoglou was given an easy ride by the Scottish media for his own European performances. Everything has went his way in his 2 seasons.

Of course we’ll continue to use Europe as a yardstick as being highly competitive in that arena is what we desire.

With a little context, they had a worse Euro campaign that we did this season.

Sorry mate that last sentence is embarrassing. We lost every game, they also had a shite campaign but to say that it was worse when we both placed last is embarrassing.

Maybe the reason is he’s Australian? And so is his family?

As for your thoughts on his luck, you make your own. I like the Gary Player quote: “the more I practice, the luckier I get”.

Golf, though, has no outside influences such as referees. Who can explain, for example, the inexplicable Collum decision vs Kilmarnock at Hampden?

He’s a decent manager. But he’s had extraordinary moments of good fortune over the last 2 seasons.

Spot on. It’s not even about being “staunch”
I know mate, we were a shit show this season, but that doesn’t mean he’s a brilliant manager, folks seems unable to separate the two things
Tell you what, there’s no gap in quality for spurs like there is up here between the tims and the rest of the teams, he’ll get found out in no time, his football style ain’t nowt they’ve no seen in the EPL, he’ll get counter attacked for fun down there

Brendan Rodgers is the preferred candidate of a number of the Celtic board. However him and Lawwell have a strained relationship after his bolt to Leicester and Rodgers feels he will still get a decent job down south. (Leeds)

Post like you would speak to someone face to face. You’re just another fanny with a big mouth.

FtOc7MSWYAAOPmM.jpg

Brendan Rodgers is the preferred candidate of a number of the Celtic board. However him and Lawwell have a strained relationship after his bolt to Leicester and Rodgers feels he will still get a decent job down south. (Leeds)
I don’t see him wanting to go back there. If he does I don’t see much of a route back to the EPL for him. If he waits til Dec he could get the Spurs job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back