We need more bodies in the midfield

Galstonian Oranje

Official Ticketer
We are now being over run in games on a regular basis. Whether it's players not good enough or just off form

Not sure if a flat midfield 3 or 4 will help us be we need to try and do something to gain control of games and not be outnumbered.

How many games now, you can see opposition players with acres of space in the midfield? Get bodies in there and get the control back, never mind the fidgeting about with diamond formations or 4231 or whatever it is we are trying to do.

Yours,
Frustrated.

Last edited:
I’ve been saying the same for the past few weeks. It was evident last week against Celtic. We effectively play a 4 2 4 with either Lawrence or Cantwell playing advanced role. They have neither the legs nor the will to chase back quickly. When our moves break down we are so wide open through the middle. Whilst I’m not excusing some of our defending , the opposition is getting to our defence far too quick at times and putting them under pressure .

The tactics are all wrong.

The space we gave in midfield is crazy.

Not helped by the fact Lundstram stands with our center backs meaning the distance between him and Cantwell / Dowell was gigantic.

Still haven't replaced Ryan Jack.

EVERY game we are over run in the middle. The scum do us every time as well. I simply do not understand what Clement was thinking today when he saw their 5 in midfield. He should have changed it, went three at the back and slotted Souttar to help Lundstrum.

The way we're trying to play football is akin to a Scouse slapper at the races.

We're trying to be something we'll never be.

Leave the passing and possession and modern football to the EPL teams. We just need to show urgency and relentless

The way we're trying to play football is akin to a Scouse slapper at the races.

We're trying to be something we'll never be.

Leave the passing and possession and modern football to the EPL teams. We just need to show urgency and relentless
Correct, we don't have the ability of thought process required to be quick enough to be that kind of football. We're slow and ponderous. A poster on another thread said we have too many two touch players. Hard to disagree with that

We need a proper box to box midfielder next to lundstrum. Jack isn’t fit raskin isn’t getting anywhere near the team so it needs to be sterling. Dowell cantwell Lawrence and diomande fight it out for the number 10 role

We need a manager that understands what a midfielder is and does.

Not one that leaves Sterling, Raskin and at times Cantwell on the bench to play Lawrence and Dowell.

2 players who could kindly be described as journeymen number 10s. Both should be playing League 1 in England at best.

Diomande has been papering over a lot of cracks with his work rate and intent.

Lundstram has reverted to playing hide and seek between and behind the centre backs.

Clements setup leaves us without a midfield.

Needs to do away with the number 10 role and go flat 3 like we seen under Gerrard. Our 2 number 10s don’t offer enough anyway. Control the midfield and you will win most games.

We need a manager that understands what a midfielder is and does.

Not one that leaves Sterling, Raskin and at times Cantwell in the bench to play Lawrence and Dowell.

2 players who could kindly be described as journeymen number 10s. Both should be playing League 1 in England at best.

Diomande has been papering over a lot of cracks with his work rate and intent.

Lundstram has reverted to playing hide and seek between and behind the centre backs.
Raskin isn’t exactly great. Would be playing Diomande ahead of him every week. Certainly hasn’t lived up to the hype when we signed him.

It seems ridiculously easy to pass through the middle of us, we aren’t a tight block the way we were under Gerrard, we seem to be stretched really thin across the pitch. I don’t understand it honestly, there’s just a huge gap.

Personnel rather than tactical

It’s a struggle to account for Lundstram playing as he does one week compared to the other.

It’s Ross County we played today, it nigh on shouldn't matter what the tactics are

We are now being over run in games on a regular basis. Whether it's players not good enough or just off form

Not sure if a flat midfield 3 or 4 will help us be we need to try and do something to gain control of games and not be outnumbered.

How many games now, you can see opposition players with acres of space in the midfield? Get bodies in there and get the control back, never mind the fidgeting about with diamond formations or 4231 or whatever it is we are trying to do.

Yours,
Frustrated.
Our midfield has been over run in last 4 or 5 games.
Needs to be set up differently as it is not working.

We need a number 10 that can split defences, hit a shot and make runs into the box. That is hard to find on our budget.

For me, Sterling and Diomande could play behind a quality creative 10.

Raskin isn’t exactly great. Would be playing Diomande ahead of him every week. Certainly hasn’t lived up to the hype when we signed him.
My point is that he’s a midfielder.

He’s also not as bad as people have decided since Clement dropped him.

Maybe in the light of some of Clements other decisions people might rethink their conclusion on Raskin.

I’d have him over Dowell or Lawrence any day of the week.

My point is that he’s a midfielder.

He’s also not as bad as people have decided since Clement dropped him.

Maybe in the light of some of Clements other decisions people might rethink their conclusion on Raskin.

I’d have him over Dowell or Lawrence any day of the week.
I wouldn’t have Dowell, Lawrence or Cantwell starting. I would have Lundstram, Sterling and Diomande in a flat 3.

Lundstram is our biggest problem, been saying it for long enough

A comment I’ve made a few times at the game is - let me know when Lundstram successfully does something an amateur player couldn’t.

The vast majority of what he does is pointless and very easy.

Crazy that we aren’t good enough defensive to play with one defensive minded midfielder in the league but sadly we aren’t.

Just seems that whoever the manger is, after a while (and when a bit if pressure starts to build) the majority of the players revert to the usual tepid, slow guff we have been seeing for what seems like forever.

Hopefully it's now clear to the manager that the so called leadership group time is up and they need to be replaced.

Yours,
Frustrated.

Totally agree mate.

It was noticeable at home to Hibs & I for one wanted a midfield diamond against thepaedoclub to ensure we asserted control.

Alas, it didn’t happen and the first half was stinking.

Today, same thing, against a commited but very average Ross County.

Who’s better than him?
At the moment it’s a much of a muchness tbh. I would certainly say Sima and Sterling are far better players for us. What does he do to justify that tag?

Today he had some lovely bits of skill and turns in the middle of the park and our half but done nothing in the final third when he’s supposed to be the number 10. Holds onto the ball far too long trying to be too cute and clever, umpteen times today he had the chance to shoot but wants to try and skin a player instead. He is posted missing in pretty much every big game he plays and turns it on against the dross. Unfortunately he couldn’t even manage that today.

Just seems that whoever the manger is, after a while (and when a bit if pressure starts to build) the majority of the players revert to the usual tepid, slow guff we have been seeing for what seems like forever.

Hopefully it's now clear to the manager that the so called leadership group time is up and they need to be replaced.

The leadership group were probably our worst performers at home to the scum in a must win match.

They definitely do not lead us any more. Also Lawrence could be classed in with them too, horrible for weeks.

I don't see what Lawrence brings at all

Obviously the year out has seriously affected the guy, because I thought his first couple of months last season were good.

He can’t get about the park at all now, and even in possession in recent weeks he’s done nothing too.

Is the correct answer. We have no control of games and yet people want to blame the striker. If Rangers are in control of a game at Ross County, they don't concede 3.

Back