Jeanette Findlay accuses Police Scotland of phone tapping.

GEODGC

Official Ticketer
I’m not quite sure what to make of this one. Leaving aside the fact that she’s a horrible boot, that’s quite an accusation to make.

Football fans accuse police of tapping into mobile phones

skynews-police-scotland-scotland-football_4452180.jpg

Image:Scottish football fans have accused police of tapping their phones

Football fans have accused the police of using tactics more suitable for dealing with organised crime or terrorism at stadiums in Scotland.

Since 2011, Police Scotland has had a special unit to provide a consistent approach to policing football matches.

It was set-up after a bad-tempered Celtic v Rangers match and now has 15 full-time dedicated officers and an annual budget of £780,909.

The Football Coordination Unit for Scotland says it takes an "intelligence-led" approach to policing at football.

Supporters groups believe their methods have gone much further than filming fans at matches with small cameras.

Jeanette Findlay, from Fans Against Criminalisation, said: "During the campaign against the Offensive Behaviour Act we had reason to believe on more than one occasion that our communications were being intercepted.

"In addition, we have had a number of young men approached to become informants for the police."

Sky News submitted a freedom of information request to Police Scotland asking how many applications they had made for a warrant to intercept the content of communications in each of the last five years and whether any related to policing of football matches.

skynews-police-scotland-scotland_4452183.jpg

Image:police Scotland have a special unit to provide a consistent approach to policing football matches
Official figures show that across the whole of the UK 3,007 interception warrants were issued in 2016. Nearly all related to serious crimes such as drug dealing and armed robbery or to national security.

Police Scotland refused to disclose how many of those applications came from Scotland, saying: "Detailed information regarding existing and future applications would ultimately reveal specific operational activity."

They added that it would specifically compromise the tactical advantage of Police Scotland in relation to criminality associated with national security.

Sky News also asked how many communications data application forms had been completed by officers working with the Football Co-ordination Unit in each of the last five years.

This is the form police must submit to check the text messages on someone's phone or see which websites they have visited.

Police Scotland also refused this request, saying: "It simply cannot be in the public interest for Police Scotland or any agency to confirm the existence of information relating to specific police tactics."

National security was again used to justify the decision: "The threat of terrorism cannot be ignored. It should be recognised that the international security landscape is increasingly complex and unpredictable.

"The UK faces a sustained threat from violent terrorists and extremists."

Ms Findlay says the public should be very concerned.

"People should remember that we are not talking about organised crime or terrorism - we are taking about football fans - and yet tactics more suited to such serious criminal activity are being used against us and exemptions to freedom of information requests relevant to national security are used to block legitimate journalistic enquiry into the policing of football," she said.

The UK's most senior police officer with responsibility for football is currently leading a review of policing at matches in Scotland. It was ordered after a crush at Celtic Park on 2 September, in which five supporters were injured.

Deputy Chief Constable Mark Roberts will look into intelligence gathering as well as operational planning for games.

Labour MSP James Kelly, who led the campaign in the Scottish parliament for the repeal of the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act, wants to see a change in the culture of policing.

These powers should be reserved for serious crimes and terrorist activities. Just imagine we had a group of thousands of people gathering at a football ground to sing en masse in support of terrorist organisations that cold bloodily murdered thousands of innocent men, women and children. Who sing songs celebrating the terrorist murder of Lee Rigby. I am sure Jeanette and James would happily support the police if this is type of people the police are keeping tabs on.

Firstly, I wish her every ill-will under the sun.

Secondly, I sort of take the view that if you're behaving yourself then you've nothing much to worry about, and that the cops will use tactics designed to take the genuine bad guys out of the picture.

Notwithstanding both of those points, it is really worrying that they have basically just said GTF to the FOI requests. The police aren't above the law. As average bods, never mind football fans, we should be concerned about this. Hiding behind anti-terrorism initiatives is becoming the bog standard response to everything.

She has played an active roll in getting a memorial to those who died And suffered during the famine.
However, this memorial is in s Catholic Church and that tells you all you need to know about Jeanette Findlay .
If she wanted to do something positive and constructive then she would have sat down with the Orange order and the Rangers supporters who wanted to contribute to a lasting memorial.
Any decent person can see right through this hate - filled bigot.

The Celtic support wallow in terrorism. I believe money is being raised for Palestinian terror groups knowingly, or unknowingly from the Celtic support. And then their IRA stuff. You can bet your boots there are links between the Celtic support and whatever passes for remnants of the IRA these days.

I care if it’s also potentially happening to Rangers fans. IF it’s happened to them, you can be guaranteed it has happened to some of our fans.
And where’s the problem with that. If ultras from any club are organising trouble the police will use all forms of modern technology to stay ahead of them.

The Celtic support wallow in terrorism. I believe money is being raised for Palestinian terror groups knowingly, or unknowingly from the Celtic support. And then their IRA stuff. You can bet your boots there are links between the Celtic support and whatever passes for remnants of the IRA these days.
In Scotland ira rc church and selic are the same thing.

She suggests that communication (presumedly phone and/or email) to & from Fans Against Criminalisation was being monitored somehow... I don’t interpret it that there were individual supporters having calls monitored.

What was the remit, role and activities of Fans Against Criminalisation?
I think I remember this group organising protest marches and potentially giving advice on how to counter police surveillance or questioning... whether that constitutes ground to eavesdrop on communication is a complex question.

She is a bigot who cares about her rantings
I care too no matter what a boot she is......cops spying on fans at matches is bad enough but tapping phones, texts etc is going too far.........

mind you if it was known nutters arranging to attack rival fans...like them half wits who assaulted our supporters the night of that euro game............................might be a different story

And where’s the problem with that. If ultras from any club are organising trouble the police will use all forms of modern technology to stay ahead of them.

Who says they are organising trouble though, that’s the problem. You are being more than a bit niave if you think the police will only target bad guys.

She's a horrible Provo loving scumbag , but it genuinely wouldn't surprise me concerning Police Scotland.

Scum accusing scum , when probably the focus of their attention is phone tapping our fans.I

NS.

I care too no matter what a boot she is......cops spying on fans at matches is bad enough but tapping phones, texts etc is going too far.........

mind you if it was known nutters arranging to attack rival fans...like them half wits who assaulted our supporters the night of that euro game............................might be a different story

It’ll be nothing to do with fighting at the fitba and more to do with there link to terrorists.

It’ll be nothing to do with fighting at the fitba and more to do with there link to terrorists.
away yi go....you think any of them plastic paddies got anything to do with actual terrorism....they're blawhards......
see if that surveillance got anything to do with obf....then it's out of order big time

Can't believe for one minute that Poileas Alba are investigating one of there own sisters . This country really is going tae the dugs . :(

She has absolutely no idea the process that would have to be put in place for a phone to be tapped or emails intercepted. Or the fact that such things would never in a million f*ckin' years ever be authorised for anything to do with bams at a football match. Utter clown of a woman.

Honestly, if anyone on here thinks police Scotland are tapping Rangers fans phones then I can guarantee you you are a moron.

Celtic fans, green brigade, sectarianism, support for terrorist groups, organised crime with group of them creeping around town keeping in touch via phone and attacking people.

The are scum. We are not talking about simple football fans here. If police have intelligence on these filth with links to extremism or organised crime then fxxk them.

Findlay is complicit in these crimes by defending this increasingly out of control group.

She has absolutely no idea the process that would have to be put in place for a phone to be tapped or emails intercepted. Or the fact that such things would never in a million f*ckin' years ever be authorised for anything to do with bams at a football match. Utter clown of a woman.

Honestly, if anyone on here thinks police Scotland are tapping Rangers fans phones then I can guarantee you you are a moron.
if you know that the polis have not been tapping our fans phones then tell us how you know....I think everybody's phones get tapped if the cops want to do it.......not got any proof of course....have you?

Well played, calling your fellow Rangers fans morons. Then again, it’s easy to be a tough guy when you aren’t face to face with people and you are hiding behind a computer screen.
The News of the World case recently proved how easy it is to do.

Celtic fans, green brigade, sectarianism, support for terrorist groups, organised crime with group of them creeping around town keeping in touch via phone and attacking people.

The are scum. We are not talking about simple football fans here. If police have intelligence on these filth with links to extremism or organised crime then fxxk them.

Findlay is complicit in these crimes by defending this increasingly out of control group.
Precisely the GB are committing orgamised crime and the Police have a duty to gather intelligence to stop it as well as detect offenders

She can %^*& right off

Police Scotland are morons ( the hierarchy) but I'm sure you already know that.

I genuinely feel for decent officers under the current regime of PS.

Back