Gerrard – New Contract Agreed

Wrong decision at this point in time. He’s done a decent job thus far but has failed to lift any silverware. He still has to prove himself as a winner at Rangers.

This stinks of giving Warburton a three year deal after beating Celtic without actually winning any proper trophies.
Stinks?
What a feckin choice of word.
Most of us are delighted yet you think it stinks.
Actually, you on the right board?

Wrong decision at this point in time. He’s done a decent job thus far but has failed to lift any silverware. He still has to prove himself as a winner at Rangers.

This stinks of giving Warburton a three year deal after beating Celtic without actually winning any proper trophies.
What an absolute crock of shite. He has transformed us into a force in 3 windows. Warburton was still playing Kiernan and Wilson after 3 windows for %^*& sake..

Huge and great news this for us. Must say because it sounds like a done deal I love that it seems to have been done professional and quietly behind the scenes presumably by ross wilson and stuart robertson and not dragged through weeks of speculation. Club has a really good feel to it now

I'm not naive enough to think that signing a contract until 2024 means he'll be here until 2024 (let's face facts, if Liverpool came calling tomorrow he'd be off - and we'd have a handsome fee for him), but it's the symbolism of it all that I think is important. Steven Gerrard has grown to love Rangers enough to 'symbolically' commit himself to us for the next 5 years. I love that.

Great news immediately plus it also is a good sign that StevieG is happy with the direction the club is going in.

He’s ambitious and driven to win at Rangers as any of us Bears. I seriously doubt he’d pin his mast to a dodgy ship so this is another slap in the bake to the doom sayers.

Inherited a bombsite. Took us to two EL group stages. Beat Feyenoord and Porto. Improved beyond recognition from the mess that conceded 5 at Easter Road.

"Decent job" indeed.

Oh for the days when Murty beating Ayr and Fraserburgh had people claiming he was doing a "decent job"
There is no logical reason for us rushing in and tying him down on a long term deal.

I’d rather we let his contract pan out naturally and reward any success with new contracts.

Especially with this month of December coming up. League cup, European knockout qualification and keeping up the top end of the league is all at stake here.

If we came through that with a trophy, last 32 of Europa and still fighting for the league, then that would be the correct time to offer a new contract.

The timing of it just seems daft.

Delightful news :))

We have improved significantly in the short time SG has been manager. Well deserved IMO.

Now bring that trophy home on Sunday gaffer!

He may well become a top manager but it’s a mistake we’ve made in the past that I thought we’d learn from.

Giving players and managers long term contracts without actually winning anything. Just means if things go tits up we’re on the end of a massive payout.

Just like the last few years. Pedro and Warburton on long term contracts without actually proving themselves.

There has been an improvement under SG, but if we’re sitting at the end of the season and they have another treble, I can’t see the fans still backing him.

He’s already got a few years left, why we can’t just take it easy and see how it pans out?

Maybe reinforcing his commitment will detract suitors and boost our signing options.

He may well become a top manager but it’s a mistake we’ve made in the past that I thought we’d learn from.

Giving players and managers long term contracts without actually winning anything. Just means if things go tits up we’re on the end of a massive payout.

Just like the last few years. Pedro and Warburton on long term contracts without actually proving themselves.

There has been an improvement under SG, but if we’re sitting at the end of the season and they have another treble, I can’t see the fans still backing him.

He’s already got a few years left, why we can’t just take it easy and see how it pans out?

Could be that there is also a clause that if some club comes in for him we now have an agreed compensation payment of £.??. M pounds.

There is no logical reason for us rushing in and tying him down on a long term deal.

I’d rather we let his contract pan out naturally and reward any success with new contracts.

Especially with this month of December coming up. League cup, European knockout qualification and keeping up the top end of the league is all at stake here.

If we came through that with a trophy, last 32 of Europa and still fighting for the league, then that would be the correct time to offer a new contract.

The timing of it just seems daft.

Go to your bed ffs.

Delighted at this news.

In my opinion, Gerrard was an excellent appointment, and he and his team have done an outstanding job so far.

I can only see success in the future for Gerrard, his team, and Rangers

And needless to say, that means a team full of BIG performances on Sunday.

Lets go!

Last edited:
I'm not naive enough to think that signing a contract until 2024 means he'll be here until 2024 (let's face facts, if Liverpool came calling tomorrow he'd be off - and we'd have a handsome fee for him), but it's the symbolism of it all that I think is important. Steven Gerrard has grown to love Rangers enough to 'symbolically' commit himself to us for the next 5 years. I love that.
Really good points here

I've cried twice because of football.

Helicopter Sunday and the night in Florence.

Seeing him lift that trophy on Sunday night could very well make it three.
Not in Florence but, the semi final against the scum got me more than any other game.
That’ll be changing on Sunday.

source.gif

Go to your bed ffs.
What have I said that you disagree with?

We all know how hostile things can turn with our fan base.

If we lose the cup final which is a possibility, get put out of the Europa and drop further behind them in the league, the board will be getting called all the bastards for rushing into this.

There’s no need to rush into this. Just see how the next couple of weeks pan out before offering a new deal.

If we lose the cup final which is a possibility, get put out of the Europa and drop further behind them in the league, the board will be getting called all the bastards for rushing into this.

There’s no need to rush into this. Just see how the next couple of weeks pan out before offering a new deal.
Won’t be getting called all the bastards from me. Proper good decision by a proper board

Delighted.

As I’ve said before. He could have been an absolute dumpling as a manager, but regardless, the players will still come for him to play for him.

He’s making Rangers relevant.

The transfers we have made wouldn’t happen without him.

So keep doing it

A wee bit of optimism before our cup final wouldn’t go amiss!

If we lose the cup final which is possible, we're still on an upward curve as a club and imo it's brilliant news.

Absolutely delighted at that news. For a rookie manager he has performed miracles within a limited budget and has brought a level of professionalism that was lacking previously. The development of players under his (and his coaching team) tutelage is very impressive. OK he made mistakes but he appears to learn from them so it’s onwards and upwards towards title number 55.

Back