Gerrard – New Contract Agreed

This is brilliant news .c'mon mr gerrard hammer those mhanky bastards, and bring that cup home .this is our time #let's fucking go !

A wee bit of optimism before our cup final wouldn’t go amiss!
I want to win the cup as much as anyone and hope my post comes back to bite me in the arse.

I just don’t see the need here for rushing in. He already has a few years left on his contact.

Part of this because clubs in England are eyeing him up. Look at the sacked managers down there! For those critical of this, who would you have instead? For me, he's a perfect fit for Rangers.
I’ve been thinking fir a while now not only is he desperate to win the title but wants a grounding in champions league management before the inevitable move to Liverpool some time down the line
Makes sense all round

Not convinced by that, probably doing a better job managing us than Smith did for much of 9IAR when he was winning things...

he has been a fucken outstanding manager for us.

Better manager than Smith.

The same Smith that picked up the pieces to see us beat Aberdeen on the last day of the season to win the title. The same smith that saw off attempt from Aberdeen and Toomy Burns to win the leagues.

Didnt realise it was a full moon.

I want to win the cup as much as anyone and hope my post comes back to bite me in the arse.

I just don’t see the need here for rushing in. He already has a few years left on his contact.
There’s a number of reasons, shows both our and his commitment, managers are sacked all the time down south so we need him tied up. In the unlikely event he’s taken from us we get a good sum in compensation! Amongst other reasons, this is only positive.

I'm not naive enough to think that signing a contract until 2024 means he'll be here until 2024 (let's face facts, if Liverpool came calling tomorrow he'd be off - and we'd have a handsome fee for him), but it's the symbolism of it all that I think is important. Steven Gerrard has grown to love Rangers enough to 'symbolically' commit himself to us for the next 5 years. I love that.

Absolutely spot on mate. SG has ensured we get top dollar when he moves on. As regularly said, he gets and loves us.

How so, he has absolutely transformed us in 18 months and restored pride, there is no better man for the job
Exactly

He might not have won anything yet and until he does that will continue to be a black mark on his record

However right now the only better manager we could realistically get is Walter. The Gerrard transformation has been phenomenal and he absolutely deserves a new contract..

What have I said that you disagree with?

We all know how hostile things can turn with our fan base.

If we lose the cup final which is a possibility, get put out of the Europa and drop further behind them in the league, the board will be getting called all the bastards for rushing into this.

There’s no need to rush into this. Just see how the next couple of weeks pan out before offering a new deal.
If we lose ,although we're going to be gutted we've still got the best manager we could have . A young manager that everyone in football has knowledge of and respect for and that can only help the club in the long run .WE WILL WIN TROPHIES and under GERRARD we will prosper .,

Absolutely spot on mate. SG has ensured we get top dollar when he moves on. As regularly said, he gets and loves us.

It also shows that he's not motivated by money (he could probably walk into a number of other clubs right now who'd pay him more money than we can) and it also shows that he's not out there trying to engineer a move. We can argue about his occasional tactical deficiencies or questionable substitutions all day, but it's indisputable that the man oozes class.

Four lads on twitter saying more players to follow.

Saw that, think probably McGregor, Defoe (both up at end of the season?) and Goldson are the most likely?

Don’t think Goldson has had one since joining has he? So probably only 18 months left on it.

If we lose the cup final which is a possibility, get put out of the Europa and drop further behind them in the league, the board will be getting called all the bastards for rushing into this.

There’s no need to rush into this. Just see how the next couple of weeks pan out before offering a new deal.
Now we know Chris Sutton’s login for here

It also shows that he's not motivated by money (he could probably walk into a number of other clubs right now who'd pay him more money than we can) and it also shows that he's not out there trying to engineer a move. We can argue about his occasional tactical deficiencies or questionable substitutions all day, but it's indisputable that the man oozes class.

He's a rich man, he's motivated by achievement. I think only the Liverpool job would entice him away from Rangers over the next 2 or 3 years.

Better manager than Smith.

The same Smith that picked up the pieces to see us beat Aberdeen on the last day of the season to win the title. The same smith that saw off attempt from Aberdeen and Toomy Burns to win the leagues.

Didnt realise it was a full moon.

I said “much of” given titles were also won when the second best team in Scotland was - Motherwell and he oft took Rangers shambolic displays in Europe

Perfect timing to allow Stevie to win 4 in a row while big Dunc builds up his experience to take over in 2024.......

Win or lose on Sunday, qualify for last 32 or get put out, win the league or finish 2nd...Gerrard has put us in this position, which is something previous managers couldn't achieve...i'd say he deserves a new contract

Can only see this as part of him having discussed with the board the plans over the next few years and them fully backing him. I can't describe how f*cking good this news makes me feel!

Wrong decision at this point in time. He’s done a decent job thus far but has failed to lift any silverware. He still has to prove himself as a winner at Rangers.

This stinks of giving Warburton a three year deal after beating Celtic without actually winning any proper trophies.
Gerrard is likely to be on the radar of several top English clubs. That has never been the case with Warburton. Tying SG up for longer makes sense.

Back