This mentality nonsense

Keyser_Soze

ram it up your arse. Its an easy excuse

If we had a weak mentality we don't come back from defeat in Porto and Feyenoord.

we don't come back from a goal down v Motherwell

we don't Score late on v St Mirren

we don't come back from a first half pounding v porto at Ibrox to win.

Celtic are a very good team . As are we. We have come a long way in a short period and were only beaten today by a terrible decision by the officials.

We are playing under a born winner in Gerrard, Not Mark do plan a better warburton.

two years ago we were getting beat 3-1 at home to St Johnstone. that's weak mantaility.

its a process and we will catch them. we have our faults but mentality isn't one of them.

Last edited:

If we had a weak mentality we don't come back from defeat in Porto and Feyenoord.

Celtic are a very good team . As are we. We have come a long way in a short period and were only beaten today by a terrible decision by the officials.

two years ago we were getting beat 3-1 at home to St Johnstone. that's weak mantaility.

its a process and we will catch them. we have our faults but mentality isn't one of them.
Your right and wrong.

Right in that its %^*& all to do with mentality and wrong in that those cunts are a good team.

We were fucking robbed by the officials yet again and they are total shite.

All true, but an Old Firm final and the first chance of domestic silverware represents an entirely different challenge and set of pressures that current team currently don't seem capable of surmounting.

I could point towards Morelos' quite incredible performances in Europe and elsewhere in the league and yet again today a powderpuff, unsure and limp contribution.

We’re not expected to win in Europe, and a Europa league group game also doesn’t bring about the same pressures as a cup final where we’re trying to break their extreme dominance.

How anyone can look at the state of the performance after the penalty and not conclude that we have a serious issue with mentality is beyond me. We never looked like levelling it up and we sure as hell didn’t look like winning it from that point.

Well said bud

How can a team with a shite mentality dominate a final? Regardless of the result, it just wasn't our day (which happens to every team) and we were out done by an outstanding goalkeeping performance and ridiculous officiating.
How can a team dominating a game completely collapse after a missed penalty?
How can a team completely in control at 2-0 in an away game completely capitulate after losing a daft goal?

I’m with you

But there was an element of panic in front of goal today.

That’s all.

Outfought and outplayed them

But panicked and got absolutely done by the offside and non penalty

I spoke to Marvin Andrews post match and asked him for some good luck.

His words surprised me ‘If you are a Rangers player and you get those chances you have to bury them’

Wasnt interested in ‘luck’

Last edited:
I dont like harping on about it but 18 months ago we were getting torn apart 5 0 going on double figures. We are getting there we just need that bit of luck. There were 2 moments today that summed it up morelos shot that Forster fumbles through his own.legs they clear then in the second half the ball bouncing about 5 yards out and Forster kicks it behind. We continue to play in that manner we wont be losing many games

All true, but an Old Firm final and the first chance of domestic silverware represents an entirely different challenge and set of pressures that current team currently don't seem capable of surmounting.

I could point towards Morelos' quite incredible performances in Europe and elsewhere in the league and yet again today a powderpuff, unsure and limp contribution.

A team with a weak-mentality doesn't go into an Old Form final/chance of domestic silverware and completely outplay a very good celtc side on the back of a meek performance at Ibrox against the same side.

We were cheated.

Good post OP. Even the most jittery of our fans know going into an OF game nowadays that we're absolutely not getting scudded by four or five goals. It's been two seasons or modest but undeniable improvement.

mentality is too easily said on here, we just need that first goal against them in a game like that, whether its clinical or a massive slice of luck

It is a total myth. Skill and ability is all that matters. Everything else is a laughable narrative.

Mentality does play it's part, being mentally strong allows you to use your skill and ability in adversity or hostile situations. In all sports there are people who had all the ability in the World but couldn't do it on when the pressure was really on.

For me mentality does play a part in some of our players performances but it doesn't necessarily mean they are weak, some can want to do it too much it affects their performance, I think that's the case with Morelos. He's now trying too hard and that's not about ability it's about mentality.

A team with a weak-mentality doesn't go into an Old Form final/chance of domestic silverware and completely outplay a very good celtc side on the back of a meek performance at Ibrox against the same side.

We were cheated.

After the penalty, a man up and 25 minutes left to play, we never looked like scoring. We didn't even come close, to be fair. In fact, Celtic had the better chance.

It was, at its very worse, a repeat of the 3-2 at Ibrox when Celtic had a man sent off.

"Outplaying" but not converting is still a sign of a weak mentality.

It’s a tired and easy excuse in all honesty and we are building it up into something it isn’t.

A mentally weak team doesn’t dominate the Dhims today, they go out with the fear in them right from the start and get dominated - as we’ve seen under Murty and Caixinha. A team of bottlers doesn't get the results we have in Europe.

Simple fact is we are close but not quite there yet - and in Scotland, close is nowhere such are the fine margins. We should be top of the league and with a cup win in the bag but for questionable decisions by the officials in Aberdeen and at the DhimDome on Wednesday and at Hampden today. We have to do more to be winners than most.

We are playing under a born winner in Gerrard, Not Mark do plan a better warburton.

There is always room for improvement and the improvement can quite clearly be seen.
Mentally we are getting there, but like a lot of things, it is that first bit of silverware that will make the difference.
Get over that line, and I predict that many more will follow and quickly.

look at the bigger picture.

Wednesday night we threw away a two goal lead against a team of dross.

they conceded a last minute equaliser and went up the park and scored the winner.

today in isolation can be glossed over but twice in one week is down to more than luck imo

After the penalty, a man up and 25 minutes left to play, we never looked like scoring. We didn't even come close, to be fair. In fact, Celtic had the better chance.

It was, at its very worse, a repeat of the 3-2 at Ibrox when Celtic had a man sent off.

Is 'weak mentality' just a broad brush that can be applied to everything? Weak mentality surely means a team playing with fear, no confidence, lack of responsibility etc. – none of which were on display today.

The boys turned up with a pair of balls, totally controlled the entire game (against a good side) – but were cheated with fücking scummy officiating.

How can a team with a shite mentality dominate a final? Regardless of the result, it just wasn't our day (which happens to every team) and we were out done by an outstanding goalkeeping performance and ridiculous officiating.

We didn’t dominate it after we went behind though. The best chance of the game after that came for them when that wee fanny raced through on McGregor and shot wide.

Spot on mate. Weak mentality ffs. We absolutely battered them. They had one shot on target which they scored from, which just happened to be a mile offside.

Also people saying they aren't a good team need to stop being so mega staunch. If they're not a good team, what are we? Of course they're a good team. They've just breezed their Europa League group for a start. They're a good team - I believe we are pound for pound a better team than them, and that will be reflected in the final league table.

I am absolutely gutted today - I genuinely thought I was going to be able to say "I was there when Gerrard lifted his first trophy". But, and I'll probably get slated for this - I felt a lot worse after the sheep game on Wednesday.

they conceded a last minute equaliser and went up the park and scored the winner.

today in isolation can be glossed over but twice in one week is down to more than luck imo

Wednesday was not down to bad luck at all, it was lack of professionalism/naivety.

Today is a different story altogether – we were cheated out of a game we totally dominated.

The mentality isn't weak but some of the decision making on the park and in the dugout is just strange.
A cup final and we take our captain off penalites?
Who honestly would have put Ojo on midweek or Barker on today?

Is 'weak mentality' just a broad brush that can be applied to everything? Weak mentality surely means a team playing with fear, no confidence, lack of responsibility etc. – none of which was on display today.

The boys turned up with a pair of balls, totally controlled the entire game (against a good side) – but were cheated with fücking scummy officiating.

Well, it was. Post-penalty miss we dominated nothing, never looked likely to win and lacked a leader ready to step up and take a bit of responsibility. If that's not a sign of a weak mentality then I don't know what is.

Best post i have read today.

Reason and rational thinking goes out the window for a lot of fans after a defeat to them.

What comes is anger and scapegoating of players.

18 months ago we got pumped 4/0 at hampden now that was a team of mental weaklings.

Today were were playing a team thats won 10 trophies in a row and wage bill 3 times the size of ours.

We totally dominated them yes defeat hurts but wee need look at it with some perspective.

We have a good team now still lots to play for

Well, it was. Post-penalty miss we dominated nothing, never looked likely to win and lacked a leader ready to step up and take a bit of responsibility. If that's not a sign of a weak mentality then I don't know what is.
This. We disappeared and they could have nicked another one when that wee boy ran through on our keeper and put it wide..

This.

They’re winners, we’re not. Painful but true.

Three penalties not given in the same week over two crucial matches.
What might that be down to?

Agree, this mentality pish gets too much oxygen. If Celtic were so tough mentally they wouldn’t have conceded the volume of chances they did, you don’t concede that volume of clear chances and claim you ground it out. %^*& all to do with mentality today. A goalkeeper who had his best day, a linesman who had his worst, every break of the ball going their way and Alfie being so desperate to score he lost his composure in front of goal.

That said, they do seem to have more different ways of winning games than we do at the moment I.e. we seem to dominate every game we play but that on its own doesn’t always guarantee we win.

Now more than ever the crowd needs to stay with the team and lift them.

Mentality does play it's part, being mentally strong allows you to use your skill and ability in adversity or hostile situations. In all sports there are people who had all the ability in the World but couldn't do it on when the pressure was really on.

For me mentality does play a part in some of our players performances but it doesn't necessarily mean they are weak, some can want to do it too much it affects their performance, I think that's the case with Morelos. He's now trying too hard and that's not about ability it's about mentality.

It is not a measurable skill set. You can't read players minds. Good players is all that matters. Skill, ability along with the obvious effort/organisation win games of football.

Last edited:

Surely you have seen it countless times when team's go down to 10 men it galvanise's them and have that seize mentality and the better team that has the extra man advantage somehow struggle especially against a team with something to defend and hold on to, they had everyone behind the ball most of the time, lumping it any where up the park, the one break away aside!! Doesn't just only happen to us or mean our team that gave everything out there are bottlers or weak mentality!! Just wasn't our day but we will have our soon no doubt about it!! We've come a long way from where we were and how we've played against that manky shower of jammy bastards!!

No Surrender!! RTID!!

We still controlled the game after the penalty, we just didn't create as much because we were up against a packed defence that were defending a lead that they should never have had (which no doubt deflated us somewhat, as it would with any team on the planet). But even still, we should have had another penalty and there was Morelos' shot that whistled by the post.

In other circumstances, I can understand it, but taking today's game in isolation it boggles my mind that people are questioning the players' mentality. Our first shot of silverware against a good side in an extremely high-pressure match and we take the game by the scruff of the neck from the first minute, only to be undone by a cheating fücking official after 60 mins of domination.

Back